These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Linux

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Graphics problems since the Launcher introduced.

Author
Spoofeydoo
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#1 - 2012-03-18 23:32:10 UTC
Ever since I downloaded the launcher version of Eve and added the fixes to Exefile.exe and Eve.exe. After about 2 hours of play my computer stops displaying objects in space and I see a washed out ship against a black background with the station light rays shining.

Has anyone else experienced this and fixed it?

My system is Slackware 13.37, Asus M4A79T, AMD x4 955 Phenom II, 4Gb ram, Evga GTX460, Nvidia driver 295.20.

I have a fruit cup and I'm not afraid to use it.

After Shok
Ruthenia Co
#2 - 2012-03-19 07:37:30 UTC
I play on two clients (one with the sound of the other without).
The client has a sound cover those symptoms, the client is silent, too, but less frequently.

fix only restart client Sad

fedora 16 , 3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64, AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 920 , 8 gb ram, AMD Radeon 6900 (2 gb) driver 12.1

Правдой нельзя оскорбить, уважаемый адвокат!

Тот самый Мюнхгаузен

Золотая орка

Darkpepper
Lost World Compagny
#3 - 2012-03-19 07:46:39 UTC

Not of that kind, i have a graphic glitch since the update with in space cans... When a can appears or vanishes there is a little smoke cloud around it. : Now this smoke cloud just does huge white rays in all directions during 4 or 5 seconds.

And : warping through celestial does not make the "black tunnel" effect anymore. Don't know why ...

**W**ormhole space, **L**inux Mint, **F**ree cookies

Palovana
Inner Fire Inc.
#4 - 2012-03-19 14:40:05 UTC
Spoofeydoo wrote:
Ever since I downloaded the launcher version of Eve and added the fixes to Exefile.exe and Eve.exe. After about 2 hours of play my computer stops displaying objects in space and I see a washed out ship against a black background with the station light rays shining.

Has anyone else experienced this and fixed it?

My system is Slackware 13.37, Asus M4A79T, AMD x4 955 Phenom II, 4Gb ram, Evga GTX460, Nvidia driver 295.20.

This issue hit me the other night while I was playing, I have the same GFX card and drivers but am running Xubuntu 11.10 64-bit on an "upgraded" Dell with 8 GB RAM.

I was almost done playing so I docked in an "invisible" station and logged off.

The next time I tried to start the game the login screen looked all wonky with incorrect colors and such so I figured something got corrupted in-memory with the drivers so I rebooted and tried again.

Same results.

To fix this I had to cold-reboot the computer. I'm thinking something got b0rked with the card's memory or similar, something a warm reboot didn't fix.

Might not be related to what you're experiencing, can't be sure. If I see it happen again I'll have to try and test a bit more.
Snowflake Tem
The Order of Symbolic Measures
#5 - 2012-03-19 17:04:33 UTC
Darkpepper wrote:

Not of that kind, i have a graphic glitch since the update with in space cans... When a can appears or vanishes there is a little smoke cloud around it. : Now this smoke cloud just does huge white rays in all directions during 4 or 5 seconds.

And : warping through celestial does not make the "black tunnel" effect anymore. Don't know why ...

I've got this issue too.
Plus a very weird capslock problem than i'm not ready to pin on the client yet, but do not get anywhere outside of Wine.
Spoofeydoo
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2012-03-19 17:09:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Spoofeydoo
I have that capslock problem too. It only happens in Wine and maybe only in the Eve client. I'll open a text editor next time it happens, test it, and post my results here.

03/20/2012: I ran Notepad without exiting the Wine Desktop, I also run Contribastic. Notepad was unaffected.

I had to exit the Launcher to get rid of all caps.

Katrina Bekers
A Blessed Bean
Pandemic Horde
#7 - 2012-03-19 17:44:23 UTC
Confirming on the caps lock issue.

I narrowed down the analysis a bit. When I (accidentally) hit caps lock, then alt-tab away from WINE (*), when I go back to the WINE screen, the caps lock is stuck, and no matter what I do, I keep writing IN ALL CAPS EVERYWHERE. Only a client restart would fix it.
__

(*) - it happens a lot when you have a corp/alliance that provides only HTTPS services, and your IGB doesn't work with HTTPS!

<< THE RABBLE BRIGADE >>

Karak Terrel
Foundation for CODE and THE NEW ORDER
#8 - 2012-03-19 20:28:18 UTC
Some kind of CANTDISABLEEMORAGE bug
Merende Macaco
Tranquility Tavern
Pandemic Horde
#9 - 2012-03-19 21:11:47 UTC
I can confirm both the texture weirdness after extended play, and the caps lock bug, and can also confirm Katrina's tests. The Caps lock bug showed up a while back - Crucible 1.1 or so and disappeared with 1.2, and has returned with Crucible 1.5. The texture bugs are apparently new with Crucible 1.5.
Whitehound
#10 - 2012-03-22 10:08:29 UTC
The caps-lock rage bug sounds cool...

I, too, get the problem with black station interiors. In addition will PI not show me the planets or only parts of them. It appears to be a memory problem where the client fails to load the necessary graphics. The problem exists for a while now. If you fly around through many systems then it is more likely to occur. Especially on a freshly installed client does it happen after only a few hours. It could be linked to the creation and update of cached icons or it may only magnify the problem.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Bent Barrel
#11 - 2012-03-22 11:12:39 UTC
Darkpepper wrote:

confirming the "huge white rays" issue. warp tunnel works as before.

what are you postprocessing/AA/shader quality settings ?
Spoofeydoo
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#12 - 2012-03-22 16:25:11 UTC
Karak Terrel wrote:
Some kind of CANTDISABLEEMORAGE bug

LOL

Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#13 - 2012-03-22 16:50:51 UTC
The "black tunnel effect" is a graphics glitch itself. There's supposed to be a streaming effect. The black tunnel is cooler IMHO.

The loss of textures looks like some memory leak side-effects I've seen in the past.

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm Richard Bartle: Players who suit MUDs

Whitehound
#14 - 2012-03-22 18:31:13 UTC
I am also seeing an issue with the preview of ships. The preview gets moved into the opposite direction when its window is being dragged around.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

cargo2000
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2012-03-23 04:42:05 UTC
since incarna 1.5 (or what ever version the launcher was added in) i too get the capslock issue, but only in one client at a time. less then halved fps, a wierd issue with the overview sometimes calling an items name it's type also just in one client at a time even if i have multiple clients on the same grid, incressed cpu usage, and slow loading models/background nebula but i figure that may be a product of either the cpu or fps issues.
Peri Simone
Black Rebel Rifter Club
The Devil's Tattoo
#16 - 2012-03-23 17:28:50 UTC
Katrina Bekers wrote:
Confirming on the caps lock issue.

I narrowed down the analysis a bit. When I (accidentally) hit caps lock, then alt-tab away from WINE (*), when I go back to the WINE screen, the caps lock is stuck, and no matter what I do, I keep writing IN ALL CAPS EVERYWHERE. Only a client restart would fix it.

Also experiencing this irritating problem, and as far as I can see it's not just when caps lock is on. Have checked CL is off, CTRL-F9 out of WINE, return to WINE, caps lock in EMORAGESETTING.
Kyrralixa Joringer
Scarlet...Widow
#17 - 2012-03-27 06:01:52 UTC
I can confirm the graphical glitch regarding missing textures and washed out textures. It usually happens to me after about 1 hour of client runtime.

I also get the jetcan giant star explosion glitch.
Matthew Gallorance
Perkone
Caldari State
#18 - 2012-04-04 20:22:41 UTC
Confirming graphical glitch after 1-5 hours of client running. Temp fix: Restart client however effects are not permanent and will always reappear after 1-5 hours of client run time.
Someone file a bug report so CCP can take a better look at this.
Spoofeydoo
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#19 - 2012-04-08 21:19:04 UTC
I upgraded libtiff to version 3.9.6 yesterday to fix: "Patched overflows that could lead to arbitrary code execution when parsing
a malformed image file. For more information, see: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2012-1173" (from the Slackware 13.37 changelog).

Since then I haven't had an issue with losing the station, planets, LCOs, and having my ship looking washed out.

Leod Athas
TURN LEFT
#20 - 2012-04-09 05:38:43 UTC
Spoofeydoo wrote:
I upgraded libtiff to version 3.9.6 yesterday to fix: "Patched overflows that could lead to arbitrary code execution when parsing
a malformed image file. For more information, see: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2012-1173" (from the Slackware 13.37 changelog).

Since then I haven't had an issue with losing the station, planets, LCOs, and having my ship looking washed out.

Confirming I have this problem, occurred last night and the night before that, after about 2 hours of play during our nightly PvP roams. I wasn't a happy roamer.

I will try the libtiff solution tonight. There is already a security update for libtiff in Debian on April4, for the arbitrary code execution thing(libtiff4 3.9.4-5+squeeze4) which I forgot to update. So the regular security updates might fix it for Debian, if this is the solution.
12Next page