These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

PVEing, killed PVP

Author
SpaZeL
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-03-21 18:42:52 UTC
Why can players attack me ''pvp'' when i am on a mission ''pve''?

it's happend to me 2 times now within a day, lost both my ship(Thorax) and pod (loss: augments, skill points, Isk) and hade to cancel the mission i was on.
That set me back more then i have played

hade incurens on the ship but that does not cover 10% of what i've lost.

now i feel like there is nothing for me to do. I cant get my stuff back, the time i've spent was all for nothing and i dont want to play anymore, if people can just attack you without provocation.

what to do?
Lunkwill Khashour
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2012-03-21 18:49:11 UTC
Stay in high sec and talk to corpmates.

1/10 for making me answer.
Bibosikus
Air
#3 - 2012-03-21 18:55:16 UTC
Eve is a somewhat unique game, in that there are no strict boundaries in the game mechanics which protect players from other players. Even in high security space PvP happens all the time, every day.

The only place where you are safe from PvP is inside an NPC station. As soon as you undock, you run the risk of PvP proportionate to the level of security space you're in, whether your corporation is at war, there's a bounty on you, you've upset someone who's decided to get you whatever the personal cost, or even just some random pirate who picks on you as an easy kill.

If you are in an NPC corporation missioning in 0.5+ space in a low-value ship, then the likelihood of you being "ganked" is extremely low because the ganker(s) will also lose their ships to CONCORD. I suspect from your post that you are missioning in low security space (0.1-0.4). In which case, you will be hunted down and killed with monotonous regularity because it is allowed, even if you are just missioning. And there are players there who will kill anyone however new or inexperienced.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

SpaZeL
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-03-21 19:17:22 UTC  |  Edited by: SpaZeL
Ah oka, thanks for the clarification.
seems its not a game for me.
If there are no boundaries betwin pvp and pve, then one would have to be very lucky and have ALOT more isk and start out with a higher skill set to actually play the game.

I am pretty new at the game so it seams very unfair to me, that i spent X amount of time getting all the Isk/ items/ skills i need to handle a mission, and along comes a dude and has his way with me, nothing i can do to stop it, cant even get away or fight back.

It's Called R A P E
OfBalance
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-03-21 19:34:24 UTC
SpaZeL wrote:

I am pretty new at the game so it seams very unfair to me, that i spent X amount of time getting all the Isk/ items/ skills i need to handle a mission, and along comes a dude and has his way with me, nothing i can do to stop it, cant even get away or fight back.

It's Called R A P E

If you were out mission running dressed like that...

You were begging for it.

Also, you got a purty mouth.
drdxie
#6 - 2012-03-21 19:45:21 UTC
Don't mission in areas with security status of 0.4 or less. Stay in HS, decline any missions in LS and you will be fine... you will not get ganked in high sec unless you flying a fancy ship, ie 2 bil worth of faction mods...
If you decide you want to give eve another try.. PM me and I'll help you out..

Caldari Loving needed.. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1608277&#post1608277

Tabernack en Chasteaux
Phoibe Enterprises
#7 - 2012-03-21 20:25:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Tabernack en Chasteaux
SpaZeL wrote:

If you were doing a mission in lowsec, anyone can shoot you with few repercussions. The solution is to decline missions that send you to lowsec, and stick to high security space.

If this occurred in high sec, they would have had to jump through a few hoops in order to shoot you with impunity. For example, if they stole from one of your wrecks, this counts as a crime and you are legally allowed to shoot them. However, if you shoot them they are allowed to shoot back. The solution is to not shoot people that steal from you unless you are looking for a fight.

However, I suspect from context that you were missioning in high sec, and your corporations were at war. You can tell when war targets are around by checking the local chat channel for players with a little red star by their name (unless you have changed this in your overview settings. You should not run missions with war targets nearby because they will find you and kill you.

SpaZeL wrote:
it's happend to me 2 times now within a day, lost both my ship(Thorax) and pod (loss: augments, skill points, Isk) and hade to cancel the mission i was on.

First of all, if your ship is destroyed you should immediately warp your pod to safety. If you do this, your chances of getting podkilled are extremely small. If you can avoid becoming a pod goo stain, most of these problems are avoided. Having said that, you should have a medical clone ready that can accomodate all the skill points your character has accumulated. You will only lose skill points if your clone is not up to date. Augmentations will of course be destroyed when you get podded, but you should prepare yourself for this by not risking anything you are not prepared to lose.

SpaZeL wrote:

It sounds like you had a lower-tier insurance plan. Platinum insurance will cover most of the cost of the hull. Your fittings, however, are not insurable and that's just the way it goes.

SpaZeL wrote:
now i feel like there is nothing for me to do. I cant get my stuff back, the time i've spent was all for nothing and i dont want to play anymore, if people can just attack you without provocation.

what to do?

There is always something you can do to get going again. If your corporation is at war, you should consider leaving it for an NPC corp until you can get a better feel for how things work. It shouldn't be difficult to accumulate enough isk for a decent frigate fit for level 1 missions. If you need a bit of cash to get back on your feet, message me in game and I will hook you up.

The time you have spent is certainly not for nothing. EVE is a game that is full of risks, and to mitigate those risks you need to first learn what they are. So far you've learned that other players are sometimes able to attack you without provocation, but this is not always the case. If you figure out what these circumstances are, you can avoid being harassed in your missions 99% of the time.

Again, EVE is never completely safe. Even in high sec space you can suffer from war declarations or suicide gankers, but every risk can be countered or worked around somehow. This knowledge comes from experience, and with this experience comes the satisfaction of knowing that you're smart enough to survive in a cutthroat environment. You may move on to other games if you wish, but you're going to miss out on the feeling of overcoming a real challenge.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#8 - 2012-03-21 20:32:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
OP is established player since 9/30/2010 and KNOWS he is faking an OBVIOUSLY rehearsed OP Post. (You can spell provocation but not incurens ?). Lol

Fail Troll of the day, although you did get a few biters...........

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Tabernack en Chasteaux
Phoibe Enterprises
#9 - 2012-03-21 20:41:18 UTC
bleeeuuuuuurrrgh 7/10 you got me :)
Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-03-21 22:00:08 UTC
best solution: go back to wow...

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Caldari Citizen 786478786
#11 - 2012-03-21 23:53:44 UTC
Jack Miton wrote:

Idiot.

OP, the best solution is to take some of the actual advice given here and stay out of low security space until you're ready for it. Alternatively, if your Corporation isn't helping to indoctrinate you in the ways of EVE Online, consider joining a training Corp like Eve University. You'll be able to learn anything you need to know about the realm of EVE PVE at your own pace. You may have to look elsewhere for PVP training, but they've done more for player retention and keeping EVE alive than just about any other player-run Corporation in the game.

Good luck to you.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#12 - 2012-03-22 00:26:14 UTC
Caldari Citizen 786478786 wrote:
Jack Miton wrote:

Idiot.

OP is Trolling.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Ajita al Tchar
Doomheim
#13 - 2012-03-22 01:02:49 UTC
http://eve-kill.net/?a=pilot_detail&plt_id=1347462&view=losses&m=03&y=2012

Mmmmm Old Man Star.

(Also shield recharger on an armor tank, no bueno)

Anyway, if OP isn't trolling--don't mission in OMS. Don't mission in low sec, period, until you know what you're doing and you know what you're getting into. OMS is good for soliciting fights where you'll probably be outnumbered if you're solo, camping the Villore gate, ganking noobs who go there, FW, ganking some more, some gf's, **** slinging in local, and setting up a separate POS for each of your fleet boosting T3's.

Some of those things aren't really true, but one thing is true for sure: don't go missioning to OMS unless you want to get people to fight you by pretending to be a poor mission runner, or unless you're pretty pro.
Tenris Anis
Schattenengel Clan
#14 - 2012-03-22 04:29:02 UTC
SpaZeL wrote:

what to do?

Stop playing or htfu. The choice is yours.

Remove insurance.

Shaen Vesuvius
Redcoats
#15 - 2012-03-22 11:37:15 UTC
LOL not just a troll, but one that is begging for isk.

back to jita u clown

"i lost my ship can someone give me some isk to replace it pls?"
Philboyd Benoit
#16 - 2012-03-22 14:04:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Philboyd Benoit
SpaZeL wrote:

If you're losing skill points, you need to update your medical clone! Find a station (in HiSec) with a medical tab in it. Click the med tab and update your clone. You want to make sure that is updated so you don't lose any SP when you get podded. Update EVERY TIME you get podded just to make sure you dont lose any more SP. This is very important when you get into higher SP age

I always update 2-3 levels above my current SP so I dont have to worry about immediately updating my clone if i forget. I used to forget all the time.

FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#17 - 2012-03-22 15:58:11 UTC  |  Edited by: FloppieTheBanjoClown
http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/combat_record.php?type=player&name=SpaZeL#losses

You're running missions in lowsec. That means you flew to a jump gate, chose to jump through it, and clicked "OK" to a warning telling you that you were entering low security space where people are able to attack you without you being protected. In other words, you very much consented to that PVP.

The truth is, you made a mistake out of ignorance. You probably didn't understand that Eve PVE is not instanced, and that someone can appear in your mission space at any time if they have the skills to scan down your ship. Now that you understand that, and you know that there is no guarantee of security when you step outside of highsec, try spending a few weeks in highsec running missions and rebuilding your wallet. Join a corp, learn new stuff, and figure out what you want to do in Eve besides missions.

Maybe go hunt pirates in lowsec. Get some revenge.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Rapcore2
Freelancer Union
Unaffiliated
#18 - 2012-03-22 21:46:25 UTC
OP made me laugh. Thanks dude!
Flurk Hellbron
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#19 - 2012-03-23 00:53:34 UTC
Waaauuuww................. so much information......................... but
Go play in low sec and die..................
Sir Livingston
Doomheim
#20 - 2012-03-23 01:12:48 UTC
Someone turn this post into a "How to detect a troll" post, please

Sci-fi games as played by an earthbound human in the 21st century http://www.youtube.com/JonnyPew

12Next page