These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dear Americans(car related)

Author
Argaral
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2012-03-20 04:39:18 UTC
Since you guys get the cars I'm looking at LONG before I do, just have a few questions.

Currently looking to trade in my Audi A4 for either the new what you call Ford Fusion or the 2012 model+ of the Chrysler 300C. Since you guys have them released over there, how do you rate them?

Currently I've heard the Chrysler handles like a boat but that doesn't bother me, looks pretty and is comfortable. The fusion however is completely new to me. Saw that they ripped off the Aston's front to make it pretty but I have no idea what the ride is like as we won't get it till 2013. Pricing wise the top tier of Fusion should be about 41,000 AUD, the Chrysler V6 is about $45 000 AUD.

Would welcome any experience other then "FORD/GM" debate and all Yank cars are terrible, I've driven enough Euro cars to know they're just as bad(*cough* jag S-tupe, Merc C series)
ReptilesBlade
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-03-20 05:19:53 UTC
Headerman
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-03-20 09:12:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Headerman
Argaral wrote:
Since you guys get the cars I'm looking at LONG before I do, just have a few questions.

Currently looking to trade in my Audi A4 for either the new what you call Ford Fusion or the 2012 model+ of the Chrysler 300C. Since you guys have them released over there, how do you rate them?

Currently I've heard the Chrysler handles like a boat but that doesn't bother me, looks pretty and is comfortable. The fusion however is completely new to me. Saw that they ripped off the Aston's front to make it pretty but I have no idea what the ride is like as we won't get it till 2013. Pricing wise the top tier of Fusion should be about 41,000 AUD, the Chrysler V6 is about $45 000 AUD.

Would welcome any experience other then "FORD/GM" debate and all Yank cars are terrible, I've driven enough Euro cars to know they're just as bad(*cough* jag S-tupe, Merc C series)

Dood, a lot of US based makes are improving in quality since the GFC, especially GM/Holden and Ford. Chrysler though are at the bottom of a recent list of reliability out of all car makes: 300c, Jeeps, etc etc are the lowest in terms of quality.

The Mondeo should be a great car to drive

You might want to check out http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/133 too?

Australian Fanfest Event https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=90062

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#4 - 2012-03-20 09:53:18 UTC
Chryslers are about the same quality as British Layland in the 80s. Also the ford fusion while much better in quality dosen't get very good MPG.

VW Passat BlueMotion does 68.9mpg and is nice to drive, the diesel can get over 1000 miles between fill ups. The BMW M3 is still very nice and rather cheap second hand.
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-03-20 12:14:05 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Chryslers are about the same quality as British Layland in the 80s. Also the ford fusion while much better in quality dosen't get very good MPG.

VW Passat BlueMotion does 68.9mpg and is nice to drive, the diesel can get over 1000 miles between fill ups. The BMW M3 is still very nice and rather cheap second hand.

1 series M is more M than the M3 tho.

bit tiny however.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Greg Valanti
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-03-20 12:18:05 UTC
I have driven the 2011 Fusion, it was a comfortable ride. Just to clarify the redesigned MY2013 you refer to is not out here yet either.
Palovana
Inner Fire Inc.
#7 - 2012-03-20 12:21:09 UTC
Just wanted to pop in here and thank you Aussies for the few Holden Monaros and Commodores you sent our way a few years back, damn shame GM didn't know how to market them properly in the USA.

The Chrysler is RWD and the Ford is FWD, that alone might be enough to make your decision for you. I've never driven either of those.
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-03-20 13:34:03 UTC
Argaral wrote:

only US brand I trust is Ford, altho GM has Opel/Vauxhall in these places which are a bit better in terms of reliability.

euro brands you had to pick the middle table ones. Jags aren't that great, and mercs always felt that they were too constricted. bimmers, if not for the social connotation they have, are quite ok-ish, altho the confort is only good in the 5-series and above. VW's and all their parent companies (Seat, Audi, Skoda) aren't bad, but the diesel engines need some extra care since those can eat up a bit too much oil if you murder them.

french cars... well only PSA matters (Peugeout/Citroen) altho in terms of reliability you need to be careful if you picked that 1 in 1000 that pays for all the sins of their brothers. Renault is pretty much buying disposable cars these days.
italian cars are great when they work, and volvos are sober cars with ok engines (Ford tech). The D5 and D3 are good diesel engines, and the T5 petrol is quirky too.

Dacia is Renault for poor people, don't even go that way.

japanese brands are known to be reliable too, altho you either have quite bland cars like toyotas or if you get an honda people will go "oh here's a ricer!" at you. Nissan are different because of Renault (xcept their more sporty line)

Korean brands are a bit like the japanese brands but cheaper.

kinda like that.

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Argaral
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2012-03-20 22:25:55 UTC
Grimpak wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

1 series M is more M than the M3 tho.

bit tiny however.

Thanks for all the input guys.

GM(Holden) over here are actually becoming ridiculously good cars, the Malua(spelling?) for a Ute actually looks quite nice and I've heard nothing but good things about the Captiva. Hell the Feds use them for cop cars now.

In terms of an M3....yeah I don't think you looked at my price range, those things, along with c63's are in the $150,000+ AUD. I did consider a 3 series BMW though as they had a recent price drop to $50,000 rather then the $60,000 that Audi A4's and Merc C200's sit at currently. The sole reason I hadn't is obviously social connotations.

The reason I've been looking at American Cars lately is Australia is finally getting a few more and they appear to be better build quality as people have said. Combined with how they look right now, I've always had a thing for a 300c, and the new design looks more in line with that. The Fusion basically came out of nowhere, we have the Mondeo here but top gear showed its new design and basically its a poor mans Aston in terms of looks, but I had no clue on the drive, having only experienced the Focus which was surprisingly good.

I had been a bit hesitant on them, but most Australians seem to be buying up Chryslers like they were hot cakes, in Brisbane currently about every 15th car is one I swear. The neighbor has one, and other then handling hasn't complained about it in 5 years.
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-03-21 04:41:54 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Also the ford fusion while much better in quality dosen't get very good MPG.

The Fusion/Mondeo has one of the best engines around, the 2.0 ecoboost delivers the performance of the old V6 Duratec with the fuel economy of a 1.6 NA engine. Nice performance when you want or need it and good MPG when you take it easy.

Plus the Fusion/2013 Mondeo is stunning to look at.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#11 - 2012-03-21 09:39:18 UTC
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Also the ford fusion while much better in quality dosen't get very good MPG.

The Fusion/Mondeo has one of the best engines around, the 2.0 ecoboost delivers the performance of the old V6 Duratec with the fuel economy of a 1.6 NA engine. Nice performance when you want or need it and good MPG when you take it easy.

Plus the Fusion/2013 Mondeo is stunning to look at.

Theres a good few ford fusion models kicking about. Looked at a fusion (I think it was a fiesta) deisel yesterday and the mpg was very nice, it just depends what model you get. The new focus and fiesta engines are almost godlike in range and reliability. Can pickup a 1 year old fiesta for less than £9000 tooBig smile

If the OP can find one of the new(ish) ford Focus Titainiums they are a fantasic car. Drove 3000 miles across eupope and back in one and loved it.
Headerman
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-03-21 11:18:27 UTC
Also, if you like the Mondeo, then the Falcon goes pretty damn well as well

Australian Fanfest Event https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=90062

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-03-21 13:17:22 UTC
Headerman wrote:

incoming "because of falcon" jokes.

Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Tactical Farmers
#14 - 2012-03-21 14:12:42 UTC
Grimpak wrote:
Headerman wrote:

incoming "because of falcon" jokes.

Because of Blackbird. :P

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-03-21 17:11:48 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
If the OP can find one of the new(ish) ford Focus Titainiums they are a fantasic car. Drove 3000 miles across eupope and back in one and loved it.

I love the Focus <3 I have my 3rd one at the moment, they simply don't feel like a family hatchback to drive. The rear seat space and boot are a decent size to.
Argaral
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2012-03-21 22:22:22 UTC
Headerman wrote:

I never got on with Falcons. Drove a Ute for early days about 5 years ago and while it drove like a normal car but its fuel consumption was terrible. Also, every bogan and his mother owns a falcon here unfortunately since they're very cheap. If you ever want to see the social stigma, look up Logan Shire in Queensland, its our version of the Ghetto.

I think unless I really love the 300c or Audi do something with the new A4, I'm set on a 2013 fuzion/mondeo. Thanks for the help guys
Selinate
#17 - 2012-03-21 22:34:26 UTC
Don't get a Chrysler or a GM car. They've gotten better since they got they had a bankruptcy scare and had to get a bailout, but they're still not that reliable....