These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Fiction

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

The Cultural Spectrum of New Eden

Author
Roga Dracor
Gladiators of Rage
Fraternity.
#21 - 2012-03-20 01:49:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Roga Dracor
Ya, I'd probably admit your right on the manga style French, never gone in for that style, myself..

Here is my reasoning for the Ni Kunni to represent Native Americans, not a Middle Eastern Society, though the hints could suggest a disparate group of non related cultures with unique similarities.. I don't buy into it..

“Two large religions have left enough behind that they are well known and studied by historians. “
One basic religion worshiped differently between the Nomads and the City dwellers of their culture.
“The nomadic peoples of the deserts and steppes practiced a polytheistic religion that revered three primary gods and many smaller ones. The main trinity were gods of the sun, of the desert, and of the water. The sun god was portrayed as a cruel tyrant that scorched all those who did not offer obedience, opposed by the life giving water god who strove to protect his followers and deliver to them a bounty of life. The desert god was neutral in the conflict, serving as a balance between the two; often suffering under the sun god's rays, but also refusing to give up too much of his domain to the water.”

Nahuatl, the Sun God.. The Enhuadanni? Ehecatl, the Wind God... And Tlaloc, the Rain God.. 'magine that..

These Gods feature prominantly in both Aztec and Mayan religion and time keeping. Meso America.. That particular cultural background that Tony Gonzalez hails from.. There is then the tie between the Sefrim of the Amarr and the ancient gods who brought the Ni Kunni water.. The Jove were the T(l)alocan, the Jove were the Sefrim.. Even the interaction of the Amarr with the Ni Kunni harkens back to the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs..

The Ni-Kunni favor wind and percussion instruments, particularly flutes and tambourines

Now, while Native Americans share this generalization with the Middle and Far East, one thing caught my eye. The veils worn by the women “cover” the eyes, not exaggerate them, as in Islamic society. Covering the eyes in Islam, I am pretty sure, is forbidden..

Reread the Ni Kunni writeup again, compare the details for Native Meso American vs. Middle Eastern.. Hot Peppers? Cacti soaked in vinegar? Mexican fare...

It also goes a long way to support the idea that the Jove are interested in the welfare of humanity.. Something I had serious doubts on at one time..

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then, and it's a poor sort of memory that only works backward.

Sohl Ni-Zha
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2012-03-20 06:45:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Sohl Ni-Zha
I tried to play a first-guess game based on phisionomy of avatars presented in choose the bloodline screen. Once you pick up and go into character creation secton, it differs. So it looked to me like:

CALDARI

Achura F - Japan/Korea
Achura M - Japan

Deteis F - Poland/ex-Yugoslavia
Deteis M- Belgium/UK/Holland

Civire F - Hungary/Czech/Slovak/Austria
Civire M - Poland/Germany/Denmark

MINMATAR

Brutor F - Africa/Carribean
Vrutor F - Africa/Afroamerican

Sebiestor F&M - Emo-Europa

Vherokior F - America Native
Vherokior M - America Native / Latinamerica/

AMARR

Ni-Kunni F - Greece/Bulgaria/Turkey/Arab
Ni/Kunni M - Armenian/Turkic/The Caucasus

Khanid F - Mongolia/China
Khanid M - Mongolia/China/Indochina

True Amarr F - Russia/Ukraine/Finnland
True Amarr M - Switzerland/Germany

GALLENTE

Jin-Mei F&M - China

Gallente F - Poland/Hungary/Romania
Gallente M - Any European Male Model

Intaki F - France/Switzerland/Belgium
Intaki M - Northern Italy/Spain/France

delivering. drugs.  IG channel: Narcotics

Wyke Mossari
Staner Industries
#23 - 2012-03-20 07:08:51 UTC
Roga Dracor wrote:

Now, while Native Americans share this generalization with the Middle and Far East, one thing caught my eye. The veils worn by the women “cover” the eyes, not exaggerate them, as in Islamic society. Covering the eyes in Islam, I am pretty sure, is forbidden..

It is a matter of debate in Islam, and usually confined to married women.

It's origins seem to be to Sarah, the wife of Abraham, making it old testament or Hebrew in origin.
Telegram Sam
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2012-03-20 15:27:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
Keep it going, Roga. I, for one at least, enjoy the investigations into the cultures, language and backstory. It helps round out the New Eden world as a richer setting for fiction.
I just wish that, once in a while, we could get some feedback from official sources about our various speculations. Just a simple hint: "Yay, you're on the right track there." "Nay, cannot confirm."
Roga Dracor
Gladiators of Rage
Fraternity.
#25 - 2012-03-21 12:44:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Roga Dracor
Thanks Sam..

Wyke, the chapel veil and mantilla of Latino Roman Catholics conform to the description on the Ni Kunni page. Primarily used in Spain during the sixteenth century, I believe. Paul expounded upon the practice in Corinthians.. And yes, Sarah seems to be the progenitor of the fashion..

But, I would argue that it is a Christian practice.. Thus the Trinary godhead motif and the similarities between Ni Kunni and Amarrian religious thought.. Blended with a healthy dose of Amerind mythology..

Ya some official nudging would be great, too... Bear

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then, and it's a poor sort of memory that only works backward.

Tiberious Thessalonia
True Slave Foundations
#26 - 2012-03-21 20:17:17 UTC
I've actually always pictured the Ni-Kunni as being something like this.
Roga Dracor
Gladiators of Rage
Fraternity.
#27 - 2012-03-22 02:02:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Roga Dracor
Very nice! I have been trying to find a correlation to Wind Dancing.. Short of a Marvel Mutant from Venezuela..

^^This is certainly the best, but, I can't seem to reconcile the other hints in the writeup, though my knowledge of Turkish culture is miniscule.. The Circle Dances such as the Sky Dance and the Sun Dance and the Rain Dance of Native Americans, most especially the tribes descended of Meso American cultures..

For instance Napolitos, great with scrambled eggs!

"Vegetable dishes typically involve tough cacti that have either been dried or soaked in vinegar or brine. Hot peppers are a favorite of Ni-Kunni chefs, so much that outsiders tend to believe that everything cooked by Ni-Kunni must contain the ingredients."

Sounds Mexican to me.. Though Hungary has some great hot peppers too, and Vietnamese cuisine has Kimshi..

My thoughts on Ni Kunni is it is a derivation of chicano.. From Wikipedia; "For Chicanos, the term usually implies being "neither from here, nor from there" in reference to the US and Mexico"

Ni in Spanish is a prejorative that means neither\nor... Kunni is "Old German"? for race and the old root for english words like kin and kind.. I know of no associations to kunni in spanish.. So, the Ni Kunni are Neither Race...Roll

BTW: Spanish is the second most natively spoken language in the world, after Mandarin Chinese..

Vieve Tisserand
Omerta Syndicate
#28 - 2012-03-24 18:29:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Vieve Tisserand
Utremi Fasolasi wrote:

I thought they looked straight out of a Jean Paul Gaultier production clothes and all. It would be cool if the new character creator brought back some of that old ethnic flair of diversity that the old choices had but I can relate to the difficulty of creating new assets that look good and not cheesy while giving a nod to the old.

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one around here who thought "The Fifth Element" when I first saw the Gallente.

Utremi Fasolasi wrote:

Indonesians have a completely different look altogether, that I don't think is really represented in the game

I'll have to look for where it was said Mannar were Spanish though, I always assumed they were German based on.. well that Mannar is more or less German for humans. hm.

The "Mannar is Spanish" idea may have stemmed from old discussions on Chatsubo and Backstage about what Mannar may look like. In addition to being "more or less German for humans", Mannar's also the name of the gulf in the Indian Ocean that separates India from Sri Lanka.

If I recall correctly, someone (possibly even me) wondered why there didn't seem to be any South Asian-like or Hispanic-like races in the game; the leap from 'South Asian' to 'Hispanic' came from remembering that there were Portuguese settlements in both South Asia and South America.

(In my little corner of the sandbox, Mannar are from that speculated blend of South Asians and Hispanics, with a dollop of Mexican Irish. They have names like "Mauvrades Kerighe" and "Imaride Carrou ver Obriençaõ". Hopefully someday somebody will officially think of a better idea.)
Roga Dracor
Gladiators of Rage
Fraternity.
#29 - 2012-04-04 22:59:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Roga Dracor
Honestly, with the mish mash of culture and heritage that the world is becoming today, any of the above "could" be true. Just because the Ni Kunni appear to have inherited mexican cultural traits, it could just as well be that neccesity drove them to acquire those culinary and dress habits..

Which kind of got me thinking about the crossing of threads which takes place on occasion. For instance, the thread concerning capsuleers and their posterity, and the leaning in this thread that I wanted to direct toward familial, archaic, cultural processes on the "heritage" of New Eden..

In some cases, such as the Caldari, they emerged from a bi-lineal tribal culture, from which we get the myth of Cold Wind, and the Deteis and Civire.. Which holds many parallels with ancient Japan.

If their were ancient capsuleers running around, as the Talocan suggest, and they were ferrying things like water and sundries to the Ni Kunni and others, did they instill many of the traditions we embrace today? How far WOULD we capsuleers go? How far did they go?

Star Trek Trivia-Prime Directive
Eve Trivia-CONCORD

Previous page12