These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Blizzard does a Ubisoft?

Author
Alpheias
The Khaleph
#1 - 2011-09-22 22:12:07 UTC
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/22/how-diablo-iiis-drm-will-affect-you/

WTF?

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Grimpak
Manufactorum.
#2 - 2011-09-22 22:17:57 UTC
"ubisoft did it, so we will do it too!!!!!11oneoneone"

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Alpheias
The Khaleph
#3 - 2011-09-22 22:22:12 UTC
Grimpak wrote:
"ubisoft did it, so we will do it too!!!!!11oneoneone"

Bring on Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn and Path of Exile, I say.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#4 - 2011-09-22 22:42:52 UTC
It's almost surely the way all games will act like in a decade or two, it's unavoidable, sadly.
AAA-game offline single player mode is dying out, slowly.
You'll only get online massively singleplayer (lol, did you know, Nintendo tried to copyright that?) or multiplayer (obviously online, not so sure about the massively part) for most games, even those further down the "production quality" rungs.
It's only a matter of how they'll gracefully degrade (and hopefully restore) the performance in case the network connection is shaky or even cuts off, and how will they protect the player from the bad side-effects of a less-than-ideal connection.

So all in all, a resounding "meh".
Myxx
Incredible.
#5 - 2011-09-22 22:50:21 UTC
+1 reason to not give blizzard more of my cash

the other reason i wouldnt try d3 is the real money auction house.
Chaos Incarnate
Faceless Logistics
#6 - 2011-09-22 22:56:16 UTC
Gonna +1 the resounding 'meh'

companies pulling this crap is irritating. Nobody cares that much about the marginal social networking and e-fame features making it online only adds, they do care when your internet connection screws up (as it inevitably does) and you can't play that game you paid $60 for.

Straight
SpaceSquirrels
#7 - 2011-09-22 23:26:04 UTC
We have no one to blame but ourselves.... Ok maybe just the people that keep ripping off games. I for one buy them.
Herping yourDerp
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2011-09-23 03:14:23 UTC
its not like it wont be piratable. but DRM is the PC way, as consoles will soon have 1 time use codes to access the online portion ect.
Headerman
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2011-09-23 04:01:49 UTC
I am confident i will only download and play a cracked version of this game now.

Australian Fanfest Event https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=90062

Froz3nEcho Sarain
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2011-09-23 14:03:59 UTC
The reason why I never buy Ubisoft games.. even when I do love some of their games. ******* consoles.

[i]~ When everything fades away, an echo is the only sound that will remain ~   ~ Chaos is a name for any order that produces confusion in our minds ~[/i]

Zagam
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#11 - 2011-09-23 14:18:01 UTC
What gets me about Blizzard is that their EULA basically says that you are effectively renting the game, and that Blizz can cut you off whenever they want to, for whatever reason. Its like Sony's failed attempts at full-on DRM on CDs, where you could really only listen to the CDs in your car, or on a dedicated CD player.
SpaceSquirrels
#12 - 2011-09-23 14:57:35 UTC
^
Technically thats what all software licenses say...minus of course open sourced ones. Technically you dont own your own consoles and a few other devices as well. Some phones dont apply because their under different laws.

Whats also interesting is blizzard offers bounties to people that turn in others with cracked games or that have hacked em.
(And blizzard has enough man power to track people down and then proceed to sue the **** out of them...) Did that to some folks that cracked SC2 and distributed it.
Zagam
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#13 - 2011-09-23 15:07:49 UTC
SpaceSquirrels wrote:
^
Technically thats what all software licenses say...minus of course open sourced ones. Technically you dont own your own consoles and a few other devices as well. Some phones dont apply because their under different laws.

Whats also interesting is blizzard offers bounties to people that turn in others with cracked games or that have hacked em.
(And blizzard has enough man power to track people down and then proceed to sue the **** out of them...) Did that to some folks that cracked SC2 and distributed it.

Yes, but Blizzard is very blatant about it, and goes crazy with online-only DRM.

DRM is not so much of a "thing" than a spectrum of things. You have completely consumer-centric DRM (input the CD key, go to town on the game), all the way to profit-centric DRM (here is your CD key, you can only play online, and can only install this 3 times before you are screwed). The best policy is the one in the middle, as it doesn't alienate consumers, yet still maintains a degree of control and prevention of pirating.

Ubisoft/EA/Blizz follows the "the consumer is screwed" model because they really don't care about the players, but rather about profit. They know people will buy their games regardless of the DRM, even if they have to supply a DNA sample each time they sign on.
Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#14 - 2011-09-23 15:26:31 UTC
I am amazed why some people don't complain you can't play EVE or WoW without being connected to the internet :P
Deviana Sevidon
Jades Falcon Guards
#15 - 2011-09-23 16:43:59 UTC
Game piracy was certainly not the only concern. Cheating is another big problem.

A lot of bots, farmers or duped items are circulating in D2, so Blizzard is taking additional measures to protect legitimate players from cheating assholes.

....as if 10,058 Goon voices cried out and were suddenly silenced.

Zagam
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#16 - 2011-09-23 18:54:16 UTC
Akita T wrote:
I am amazed why some people don't complain you can't play EVE or WoW without being connected to the internet :P

OMG! Why Can't I play EVE without my dial-up internet???
Zagam
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#17 - 2011-09-23 18:55:49 UTC
Deviana Sevidon wrote:
Game piracy was certainly not the only concern. Cheating is another big problem.

A lot of bots, farmers or duped items are circulating in D2, so Blizzard is taking additional measures to protect legitimate players from cheating assholes.

I understand that completely. And agree completely.

What I don't understand is why internet connection to the battle.net servers is needed for playing the single-player campaign. For anything involving multi-player (even over LAN), I think you should use internet access. But for single-player campaign... not so much.

Mikloo Braca
Black Rock Military Industries
#18 - 2011-09-23 18:57:07 UTC
I stopped buying ubisoft games a while ago because of the DRM and now I'm not getting Diablo 3.
Cpt Placeholder
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#19 - 2011-09-23 21:10:52 UTC
SpaceSquirrels wrote:
We have no one to blame but ourselves.... Ok maybe just the people that keep ripping off games. I for one buy them.

They may be less at fault than you, I believe. You don't find it bad enough not to buy the game and thus you support the practice.

Ubisoft thinks they can get away with using any crap DRM they want because it won't affect sales negatively and may stop a few pirates that are too stupid to read a text file with 3 instructions.
Blizzard is smarter, their goal is to get more players onto B.Net to populate the game and the real money auction house. SC2 requires an online check "only" once a month.

It makes little sense to keep online checks active after cracks are released. When a game got old, some developers used to release patches that removed CD checks but nowadays they don't give a crap about you after you bought the game.
Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#20 - 2011-09-23 21:21:33 UTC
Since there's going to be a real world cash market for players to sell items they find, insisting people be connected to battlenet all the time when playing is the only way to be sure there's no haxxoring, duping, or general item shenanigans.

I oppose it in other games, but at least it makes sense this time.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

123Next page