These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

New Launcher

First post
Author
Terminal Insanity
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#1 - 2012-03-15 18:20:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Terminal Insanity
I'm not really liking this thing. However, it could be made lovable.

Make the Launcher customizable, by allowing us to 'add' multiple accounts or installations to the launcher.
Clicking on one of the several 'account launcher' buttons, will launch a client in a pre-specified monitor/resolution, allowing us to launch several accounts all from the same launcher.

I can no longer just doubleclick on my Main and Alt icons on the desktop without getting errors about trying to run the launcher multiple times from the same folder.

I have symlinked the folder (so its technically the same folder but located in different directories in the filesystem, as recommended by eve's multi client setup guide)

"War declarations are never officially considered griefing and are not a bannable offense, and it has been repeatedly stated by the developers that the possibility for non-consensual PvP is an intended feature." - CCP

Vetrox Satria
Star Nation
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2012-03-15 18:43:19 UTC
One thing that I found with the launcher was when I press "play" it doesnt tell me if the client is loading or not. At first i was frantically clicking play think it was broked.

For alts. I open the game, tab out, then run launcher again. It doesnt take too much longer depending on how many alts you have.

You get a Thump up from me for a constructive post
Keriece
Red Dwarf Mining Corporation
space weaponry and trade
#3 - 2012-03-16 14:42:50 UTC
Here here, with so many players running multiple accounts i find it incredulous that the launcher did not support this outa the box. Very annoying having to close the launcher after running the game too.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#4 - 2012-03-16 14:58:06 UTC
The only time I see the launcher is when an update is waiting. And I can launch multiple clients with a mouse click anyway.

Did y'all not find the settings button or something?

Mr Epeen Cool
CCP Donut Golem
C C P
C C P Alliance
#5 - 2012-03-16 15:00:06 UTC
Terminal Insanity wrote:
I'm not really liking this thing. However, it could be made lovable.

Make the Launcher customizable, by allowing us to 'add' multiple accounts or installations to the launcher.
Clicking on one of the several 'account launcher' buttons, will launch a client in a pre-specified monitor/resolution, allowing us to launch several accounts all from the same launcher.

I can no longer just doubleclick on my Main and Alt icons on the desktop without getting errors about trying to run the launcher multiple times from the same folder.

I have symlinked the folder (so its technically the same folder but located in different directories in the filesystem, as recommended by eve's multi client setup guide)

Thanks for the feedback Smile.
Rykuss
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2012-03-16 15:10:45 UTC
Keriece wrote:
Here here, with so many players running multiple accounts i find it incredulous that the launcher did not support this outa the box. Very annoying having to close the launcher after running the game too.

Yes it would be nice if the launcher closed after patching since I have it only show when there is a patch in the first place. That's my only nit-pick with the launcher. I click the shortcut for my first client, if there is no update I don't even see the launcher as I selected that option. I have no issues launching additional clients same as before. If there is a patch, the launcher installs it and I close the launcher. I launch my clients same as always without seeing the launcher afterward.

Terminal Insanity wrote:

I launch my clients by double-clicking with no problems. I only see the launcher if there is a patch on the first client. After it patches I close the launcher and double-click on my desktop icons same as before with no errors. It gives you an error if you don't close the launcher before starting the other clients. After it patches, you don't need the launcher loaded to start your clients. If this isn't the case for you, maybe it's because my clients are junctioned. I only ever needed to patch the one client anyway.

You, too, can be a Solid Gold dancer.

Lord Ryan
True Xero
#7 - 2012-03-16 15:14:53 UTC
Hate it! It awoke the rage I put to bed months ago. Get that Fin thing off my screen.

Do we have an update everyday or is my launcher broke?

Do not assume anything above this line was typed by me. Nerf the Truth, it's inconvenient.

CCP Donut Golem
C C P
C C P Alliance
#8 - 2012-03-16 15:57:26 UTC
Lord Ryan wrote:
Hate it! It awoke the rage I put to bed months ago. Get that Fin thing off my screen.

We've just released version 1.11, please see if this fixes the issues you've been having. Thanks!
Vetrox Satria
Star Nation
Goonswarm Federation
#9 - 2012-03-16 17:47:39 UTC
CCP Donut Golem wrote:
Lord Ryan wrote:

We've just released version 1.11, please see if this fixes the issues you've been having. Thanks!

I just got to ask out of my own interest (not because i think launcher is broked) but do you guys have a dedicated QA/Testing team? or do all the devs of a particular team jump on bored with the bug hunting in house?
Brunmunde Hildegaard
The Green Machine
That Escalated Quickly.
#10 - 2012-03-16 17:59:28 UTC
I don't mind the launcher too much, however my patch download speeds are ABYSMALLY BALLSACK WTFBBQ SLOW even though I cranked up the number of download threads. Cmon CCP I was downloading them at 1.5mb a second before!

"Sings me a dances of wolfs, who smells fear and slays the coward. Sings me a dances of mans, who smells gold and slays his brother."

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#11 - 2012-03-16 18:02:22 UTC
I actually like the launcher. I don't really see what all the fuss is about.

Already it seems CCP is patching more frequently, which is a good thing too.
Lenore Leelu
Obsidian Dynamics
#12 - 2012-03-17 08:47:57 UTC
Windows 7 64 bit, clicking on the launcher link that says "Inferno/dust514/fhe future of eve", raises a blank IE 9 window.

Further to that I couldn't raise "about internet explorer" until I loaded a page such as google, so I suspect the issue is with IE 9 and how it handles new windows.

Making Firefox the default brower fixes the issue as the launcher opens any links in a new tab of the existing browser.

Nevertheless, this may be an issue for other people using IE 9 as their default browser.

Is CCP willing to do testing on this?
Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#13 - 2012-03-17 11:31:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Ptraci
Lenore Leelu wrote:
Windows 7 64 bit, clicking on the launcher link that says "Inferno/dust514/fhe future of eve", raises a blank IE 9 window.

This could mean that the future is wide open! On the other hand it could mean there is no future...

Seriously though, devs should realize that Windows comes with a perfectly adequate DEFAULT BROWSER setting. I hate it when launchers force you to use one particular browser (usually IE) instead of the browser you have already told the OS you want to be used as default.
Pop Bear
Doomheim
#14 - 2012-03-17 11:34:16 UTC
I dunno, I kinda like it tbh, but if it could patch multiple accounts at once it would be much more cool thoSmile
Lenore Leelu
Obsidian Dynamics
#15 - 2012-03-18 01:05:19 UTC
Lenore Leelu wrote:

Further to that I couldn't raise "about internet explorer" until I loaded a page such as google, so I suspect the issue is with IE 9 and how it handles new windows.

Making Firefox the default brower fixes the issue as the launcher opens any links in a new tab of the existing browser.

Nevertheless, this may be an issue for other people using IE 9 as their default browser.

Is CCP willing to do testing on this?

I've tested this on two windows 7 machines now (both 64 bit) both have the same issue of opening blank windows if the default browser is IE 9.
Vin Lieger
Ambiguous Holdings inc.
#16 - 2012-03-18 04:08:19 UTC
Also please let us launch Sisi/ other test servers from the launcher.

It should be a one-stop shop for everything client related imo
Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2012-03-18 05:08:24 UTC
CCP: Doing It Their Own Way

I'm seeing the new launcher as Incarna-revisited all over again. CCP had some pie-in-the-sky idea about designing a new nifty launcher that would install updates and patches, but also do these really cool things called X, Y, and Z. After some extended development period, it turned out that the developers were struggling with the implementation of X, Y and Z, so they released the launcher that accomplished what the old system had accomplished. Since the old system worked for everyone, and this new system does not, one can safely call the new launcher a failure at release.

Why is CCP releasing technology that does nothing more that what was currently implemented? Have a goal, release the goal. If you're going to give us a new launcher, we, as players, should immediately be able to see why you've thrown money and developers at the solution. I don't think there are any players who understand why this new launcher needs to exist, in its current state of development.

Since the old system worked for everyone, and this new system does not, one can safely call the new launcher a failure at release.
Mai Khumm
#18 - 2012-03-18 05:20:19 UTC
I really like the new launcher, but more info shown would be better.

I'd really love it if you can log on and IN the launcher you can switch between alts.

I.E. You log into the launcher and pick your character from there and when you want to switch toons you just click on another toon, and BAM! client automatically resets with that toon.

ALSO....Donut Golem....really? REALLY? How do you come up with these names? Either you lost a bet or robbed a Dunkin' Donuts store...
Endeavour Starfleet
#19 - 2012-03-18 05:42:53 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
I'm seeing the new launcher as Incarna-revisited all over again. ..........

Since the old system worked for everyone, and this new system does not, one can safely call the new launcher a failure at release.

If you see the new launcher as Incarna and see a few small hiccups in a new launcher as a failure. I have to question if you are trolling or just hate CCP that much.

Because it works fine for the VAST majority of people and many of the issues for others have been fixed. Some of the others are outside of CCP hands completely (People not understanding the changes some anti-malware does to a computer) And it working for the vast majority now means faster and smaller updates allowing feedback on smaller changes that arent compressed in with a big update.

That is what is called a success! Big smile
Lord Mandelor
Oruze Cruise
White Stag Exit Bag
#20 - 2012-03-18 05:43:35 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:

I'm seeing the new launcher as Incarna-revisited all over again.

u wot m8?
12Next page