These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

"Why I Am Leaving Goldman Sachs"

Author
Zhula Guixgrixks
Increasing Success by Lowering Expectations
#1 - 2012-03-14 17:05:03 UTC
A vulture leaving his comrades.. A manifesto from executive director and head of the firm’s United States equity derivatives business in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/opinion/why-i-am-leaving-goldman-sachs.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

I like the language they use. It sounds like bunch of 12 yro's bragging about something. Yay for masters of the universe !

0ccupational Hazzard --> check out the true love story 

Kai Tel
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-03-14 17:06:29 UTC
You leave He-Man outta this.
Istvaan Shogaatsu
Guiding Hand Social Club
#3 - 2012-03-14 17:43:04 UTC
People who deal with vast amounts of money are evil in world's greatest non-shocker.
Telegram Sam
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-03-14 19:33:58 UTC
That's funny. On his way out, he takes the opportunity to work in his self-promotion/brag. "Managed a $1 trillion fund." "Selected as one 10 out of 30,000 employees." (I wonder how many of those 30,000 applied?) Typical business world pr*ck. They're plentiful, they grow on trees.
Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#5 - 2012-03-16 21:50:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarryn Nightstorm
Telegram Sam wrote:
That's funny. On his way out, he takes the opportunity to work in his self-promotion/brag. "Managed a $1 trillion fund." "Selected as one 10 out of 30,000 employees." (I wonder how many of those 30,000 applied?) Typical business world pr*ck. They're plentiful, they grow on trees.

Hey, he's got to update his CV anyway, right? I believe corp-speak for what he's doing is "networking?"

[/cynicism]

But yeah, to expand what Istvaan said:

That people who make huge profits off of other people's money might be a bit...aaahhh..."socially myopic"...is not exactly shocking.

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Astrid Stjerna
Sebiestor Tribe
#6 - 2012-03-17 04:17:49 UTC
Tarryn Nightstorm wrote:

That people who make huge profits off of other people's money might be a bit...aaahhh..."socially myopic"...is not exactly shocking.

Reading the article, I can kind of understand his choice. When he started at the firm, it was about the client, first and foremost.

Now, it's gone from that to 'f** the client over so we get more money'. Sorry to burst your bubble, but some people don't like having to do things that way.

In a battle between employment and ethics, he chose ethics. And I salute him for it.

I can't get rid of my darn signature!  Oh, wait....

Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#7 - 2012-03-17 09:59:06 UTC
Astrid Stjerna wrote:
Tarryn Nightstorm wrote:

Reading the article, I can kind of understand his choice. When he started at the firm, it was about the client, first and foremost.

Now, it's gone from that to 'f** the client over so we get more money'. Sorry to burst your bubble, but some people don't like having to do things that way.

In a battle between employment and ethics, he chose ethics. And I salute him for it.

I never said that I thought he was one of these confidence-trickster parasites, now did I.

But:

I would assume that this guy can afford to quit his job and spend some time out of work. People who manage USD 1Tn funds generally get paid a little more than the rest of us to do so.

And the press he's gotten from this--and, no doubt the media-connections he had to get that op/ed guest slot in the first place--certainly can't hurt.

I wonder how much more slippery, more...situational...his so-commendable principles might have been if he actually needed his paycheque as much as most of the rest of us do?

(/Me smiles darkly) Of course, I'm sure that's all academic: People will naturally always do the right thing, won't they.

[/more cynicism]

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Vogue
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#8 - 2012-03-18 04:39:06 UTC
What i find most curious in the whole narrative of moral hazard since the financial crisis is that the South Sea Bubble is never mentioned in media. It was a speculative shares bubble that collapsed in 1720 in London

I don't beleive there is a free press. Why is it the Guardian newspaper of London which is supposed to be the best left wing paper in the UK comes out with a load of repetitive thin lefty waffle whereas the New York Times has higher quality.. lefty waffle. Surely both newspapers can attract the most brightest literate minds. Simarily I don't beleive there is a freedom of cultural expression. Its the 'negative liberty' gig which I assume is to keep citizens away from a lot of spooky abstract political thought that dipped the world into anarchy in the first half the 20th century

About the USA - there is, well compared to the past, a lot more economic dislocation. Apple is sitting on £100 billion in cash. General Electric one year did'nt pay any taxes. Americans spend three times more per head on its healthcare system. But yet again the national economy is rebounding with GDP and jobs growth.
While big government Europe is still staggering around. Though Germany, the world's 2nd biggest exporter, is doing well. Especially as the Chinese like German cars, machine tools, etc

/rant: As a Brit I find the whole 'special relationship' thing with the USA the most epic troll ever. While I agree with military intervention in the parts of the world with the yanks (which ok often have a lot of oil). I wish the UK had a more subdued but rational relationship to the USA. Rather than having to ride on the US President's 'we are your best friend (2nd to that other country)' rodeo. The Germans have a better inside line - AMD factories in Germany, BMW, Mercedes factories in USA. And good for them. But they don't have to endure the happy clappy crap we do of America's media machine which has a superficial gloss of looking like the Roman Empire crossed with Loony Tunes

/Ah well all that is basically a conscice version of what I used to constantly post in this section - toodles!
ReptilesBlade
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-03-18 10:01:40 UTC
Vogue wrote:
But they don't have to endure the happy clappy crap we do of America's media machine which has a superficial gloss of looking like the Roman Empire crossed with Loony Tunes

I am an American and have never heard it put so well.
Shadowsword
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-03-18 18:22:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Shadowsword
Vogue wrote:

About the USA - there is, well compared to the past, a lot more economic dislocation. Apple is sitting on £100 billion in cash. General Electric one year did'nt pay any taxes. Americans spend three times more per head on its healthcare system. But yet again the national economy is rebounding with GDP and jobs growth.
While big government Europe is still staggering around. Though Germany, the world's 2nd biggest exporter, is doing well. Especially as the Chinese like German cars, machine tools, etc

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the "America is doing better" line is nothing but propaganda. Look at the facts:

- The national debt keep climbing higher, and the rate of increase is going up.
- The number of people who depend of food tickets exceed 50 millions, and sharply increasing.
- Average unemployment duration between two jobs is at an all-time high, now more than 30 weeks.
- The winter job increase is explained by seasonal jobs. Once you remove those and look only at stable jobs, you can see the US economy is still destructing jobs. Plus those doing the stats are doing their best to push people out of the official statistic.
- No one buy US debt except the US. That's why Bernanke is preparing a QE3, and that's not going to be the last QE. Every country possessing US debt is also trying to get rid of it. China had over 1.3 trillions dollars of US debt two years ago, now 1.19 trilions.

The truth is that the US still has it's butt deep into the crack, like very other country.
stoicfaux
#11 - 2012-03-18 19:00:40 UTC
Tarryn Nightstorm wrote:
Hey, he's got to update his CV anyway, right? I believe corp-speak for what he's doing is "networking?"

Or he's "advertising" for new clients.

Hey look at me! I'm an honest broker because I just publicly stated that GS was full of crooks! Give your money to me since I'm obviously a trustworthy independent [broker or head of my new start-up brokerage firm.] GS won't sue me for slander because I have blackmail on a few key people, and I don't have provide any evidence to support my claims because Wall Street has such a bad rep right now, people will automatically believe the worst about GS.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#12 - 2012-03-18 19:23:19 UTC
Shadowsword wrote:
Vogue wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the "America is doing better" line is nothing but propaganda. Look at the facts:

- The national debt keep climbing higher, and the rate of increase is going up.
- The number of people who depend of food tickets exceed 50 millions, and sharply increasing.
- Average unemployment duration between two jobs is at an all-time high, now more than 30 weeks.
- The winter job increase is explained by seasonal jobs. Once you remove those and look only at stable jobs, you can see the US economy is still destructing jobs. Plus those doing the stats are doing their best to push people out of the official statistic.
- No one buy US debt except the US. That's why Bernanke is preparing a QE3, and that's not going to be the last QE. Every country possessing US debt is also trying to get rid of it. China had over 1.3 trillions dollars of US debt two years ago, now 1.19 trilions.

The truth is that the US still has it's butt deep into the crack, like very other country.

Yea but beef sales are up so it can't be all that badBlink
Cawfield
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-03-18 20:47:10 UTC
It's not just this guy. This whole year has seen quite a dramatic increase in the number of executive level resignations on the boards of powerful corporations in the fields of banking & finance, government and other major industries.

469 this year, as of today.

(you can follow up to date info here http://www.facebook.com/MassResignations)

Most of these resignations are coming from the banking industry. I see it as rats leaving a sinking ship.

http://diaryofadredditor.wordpress.com

OfBalance
Caldari State
#14 - 2012-03-19 05:26:59 UTC
Meh, wake me when the revolution is in full swing and we can attend the public guillotine of these scumbags.
Telegram Sam
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2012-03-30 20:38:34 UTC
Now this guy has landed a book deal. I guess it was inevitable. http://news.yahoo.com/former-goldman-exec-smith-lands-lucrative-book-deal-174828118.html
Justa Altlol
Doomheim
#16 - 2012-03-31 15:36:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Justa Altlol
Zhula Guixgrixks wrote:
A vulture leaving his comrades.. A manifesto from executive director and head of the firm’s United States equity derivatives business in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/opinion/why-i-am-leaving-goldman-sachs.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

I like the language they use. It sounds like bunch of 12 yro's bragging about something. Yay for masters of the universe !

That's one of the ones that got a bonus bigger than all the money I'll ever make in my whole life after the bail out isn't it? Makes me sick him having the balls to complain about other people's morals. Pot, kettle, black. The dude should be in prison.

Astrid Stjerna wrote:
Tarryn Nightstorm wrote:

It's not about morals. It's about "oh crap the company is in trouble. I better GTFO with my 50 gajillion dollar golden parachute while the getting is good. I'll make up some random excuse later".
Malice Redeemer
Kenshin.
Fraternity.
#17 - 2012-05-04 15:51:54 UTC
ReptilesBlade wrote:
Vogue wrote:
But they don't have to endure the happy clappy crap we do of America's media machine which has a superficial gloss of looking like the Roman Empire crossed with Loony Tunes

I am an American and have never heard it put so well.

lol, yes, I was thinking this same thing