These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Radians/Sec too large and awkward for tracking

Author
Billy Kidd
Breaking Plaid
#1 - 2012-03-16 14:04:50 UTC
The units used to measure tracking, radian/sec, are too large for use in EVE. This means that trying to estimate hit quality using your guns devolves into a game of counting zeros. If you have a gun that tracks at 0.0232 radians/sec, the difference between your target going 0.0652 or 0.0065 radian/sec is difficult to discern at a glance, even though the hit quality will be worlds different. It's equivalent to using kilometers to measure someone's height. We don't go around saying this person is 0.0018 kilometers tall; we say that this person is 1.8 meters tall or even 180 centimeters tall.

I propose that we shift the decimal place over 3 places and use milliradians/sec instead of radians/sec. Taking the example above, our gun would track at 23.2 mils/sec. The difference between our target moving at 65.2 mils/sec vs 6.5 mils/sec would be much easier to differentiate. This would mean changing the units in the showinfo window, and more importantly, under the angular velocity column in our overviews.

The world's militaries adopted the use of milliradians (NATO mils) for use in artillery tracking/targeting long ago for this express purpose. In the futuristic world of EVE, I can't imagine we would discard such a useful unit.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#2 - 2012-03-16 14:45:08 UTC
Seems reasonable, sort of. I've grown used to the current setup though so I must admit I'd be resistant to change, even if it is sensible P

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#3 - 2012-03-16 15:08:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
I was going to write something akin to a rebuttal, but then I noticed that I hadn't noticed the extra zero, proving your point absolutely right… Oops

So yeah, sure. But why not expand on it? Why do all the work of changing show-info numbers when it's not really there the problem lies, but with the overview and the need to quickly discern between numbers there? Why not let us set a scaling factor on any of the numerical columns in the overview.

Add a selection dropdown for “speeds always be measured in km/s or always in m/s, or dynamic (as is the case right now)”… oh, and a reversal option for radial speed — I want closing speed to be positive, not negative. Same for ranges. Yes, suddenly that gate will show as being …20 000 km away (with a whole bunch of numbers cut off at the beginning) rather than 40 AU, but that's ok — i just need to be able to tell that it's not really on this grid.
Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#4 - 2012-03-16 17:27:50 UTC
I'd definitely go for the option to change scale on the columns, being able to change the positive/negative on the velocity column would be a great help.

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Taleris Kline
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2012-03-16 17:46:47 UTC
Are radians/s really the best tool to use for the job of measuring angular direction? Would degrees/second work better?
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2012-03-16 17:57:30 UTC
Degrees/second seems more intuitive.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#7 - 2012-03-16 18:03:12 UTC
The reason to use radians over degrees is that radians actually mean something and are SI units, degrees is just "1/360th of a circle" and doesn't actually have any real basis.

It's the same reason Eve uses the metric system everywhere else, they're the international standard units.
Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#8 - 2012-03-16 18:16:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Buzzy Warstl
The math is easier with radians, so that's what the pros (and the programmers) use.

[Edit] rather than degrees, that is.

Milliradians for display purposes would totally rock.

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm Richard Bartle: Players who suit MUDs

Taleris Kline
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2012-03-16 18:25:24 UTC
mxzf wrote:
The reason to use radians over degrees is that radians actually mean something and are SI units, degrees is just "1/360th of a circle" and doesn't actually have any real basis.

It's the same reason Eve uses the metric system everywhere else, they're the international standard units.

Umm, a radian and a degree measure the same thing. 1 radian = pi/180 degrees

However, both the radian and the degree are accepted under the SI system.

Utilizing radians in the tracking algorithm makes a lot of sense since it is mathematically based, but as a display unit, it is not as easy for a human unaccustomed to using radians to understand the relative angle.

Why not just use a decimal version of tau at that point (tau == 2*pi which is a full circle)?
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#10 - 2012-03-16 18:39:43 UTC  |  Edited by: mxzf
Um ... radians aren't the same thing. Yes, you can convert between them, duh, but they aren't the same thing at all. A radian has a scientific definition in relation to a circle's dimensions, a degree is simply "1/360th of the way around a circle".

The degree, as with most imperial units (feet, pounds, gallons, etc) is a screwy way to measure something. There's a reason just about all the world uses the metric system (the US is the only major country that is still dominated by imperial units). Even as an American, I know that the Imperial system is stupid (the trick is getting the rest of the country to give it up, old habits and all that). Eve is a worldwide game though, and as such it uses the units that the rest of the world uses, not just American ones.

And degree isn't accepted the same as the radian in the SI system. The radian is a derived unit, the same as km or m/s or any such unit. The degree is an accepted unit, meaning "we acknowledge that lots of people still use this for stuff". Not the same thing at all.
Taleris Kline
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2012-03-16 18:48:28 UTC
Which is why I never said to remove keeping them internally in the tracking formula. However, in my opinion, it is trivial to convert the radian/s value to degrees/s which is easier for the majority of people to handle and while moving the decimal point two places, it would provide per the example above

.0652 radians = 3.73 ...... degrees
.00652 radians = .373..... degrees

I would contend that mils/sec are also a better display measurement because there are less 0's to count before the interesting number and to me 20.2 mils is much easier to remember than .00202 radians.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#12 - 2012-03-17 00:14:16 UTC
mxzf wrote:
Pretty much this.

Why radian/s? Because it tells you something about the speed of the target relative to your position. Something 1000m away (giving us a radius of 1000m for his orbit) moving at 1000m/s is moving at 1rad/s. Drop his speed to 500m/s and it's 0.5 rad/s. Get the target out to 10km, moving at 100m/s… 0.01 rad/s.

While you can certainly express it in degrees/s, that measurement does not hold this relationship and meaning.
masternerdguy
Doomheim
#13 - 2012-03-17 00:15:45 UTC
You've all got it wrong.

There is one true unit for measuring angles.

Gradians.

Things are only impossible until they are not.

Fon Revedhort
Monks of War
#14 - 2012-03-17 00:45:20 UTC
Billy Kidd wrote:
It's equivalent to using kilometers to measure someone's height. We don't go around saying this person is 0.0018 kilometers tall

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how they measure someone's height in EVE. Given how scanner operates in km rather than a.u. or mass being displayed in kilos for freaking spaceships!

"Being supporters of free speech and free and open [CSM] elections... we removed Fon Revedhort from eligibility". CCP, April 2013.

Billy Kidd
Breaking Plaid
#15 - 2012-03-17 14:16:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Billy Kidd
Fon Revedhort wrote:
Billy Kidd wrote:
It's equivalent to using kilometers to measure someone's height. We don't go around saying this person is 0.0018 kilometers tall

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how they measure someone's height in EVE. Given how scanner operates in km rather than a.u. or mass being displayed in kilos for freaking spaceships!

Yes, that's another good idea that should be implemented. A dropdown menu for the directional scanner, giving us the option to use kilometers or astronomical units, would be a godsend.
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2012-03-17 16:21:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Spugg Galdon
Probably one of the best little tweaks ever suggested in this forum.

Excellent idea and I suppose relatively easy to implement without being overly time consuming either. Crucible 1.6? More likely something that could get shoved into Inferno but either way, I'd like to see this and soon.

By the way, Tippia. Well done for what is probably one of the best, well structured and simplified posts on giving a reason behind an argument. You win the interwebs!

This is what I'm on about:
Tippia wrote:

Why radian/s? Because it tells you something about the speed of the target relative to your position. Something 1000m away (giving us a radius of 1000m for his orbit) moving at 1000m/s is moving at 1rad/s. Drop his speed to 500m/s and it's 0.5 rad/s. Get the target out to 10km, moving at 100m/s… 0.01 rad/s.

While you can certainly express it in degrees/s, that measurement does not hold this relationship and meaning.