These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Eve jargon...it hurts my head...D:

Author
Hawklandier Taranogas
Old American Syndicate
Optimistic Wasteland
#1 - 2012-03-14 21:47:02 UTC
So many....SO MANY ACRONYMS TO REMEMBER!

I dont even know what half of them are D: examples like
EANM: Energized adaptive nano membrane.
things like that, how many of these are there? :'(
Im trying to learn them so i can understand half of what is said on chats these days.
Like what the hell is a HAM? Heavy Assault Maniac?
If you know any of these or more, they would be of *MASSIVE* help. D:

FYI, i dont know what section this post should have gone in, so i chose the one which gets the most views.

Sincerely some ransomer :P

I have likes? How the hell did that happen? :D

Tanya Powers
Doomheim
#2 - 2012-03-14 21:49:37 UTC
There are as many has you have diferent nations represented by their best jerks, well some are better than others. Lol

New ones are invented every day because Eve's not dieing, it's a living universe evolving all the time, not like latin's world (sorry greeq space friends)
Hawklandier Taranogas
Old American Syndicate
Optimistic Wasteland
#3 - 2012-03-14 21:52:35 UTC
Aye, very true :P

But i still need to know some common said ones. Iv been playing a while and i still dont know what a HAC is :/
Its kinda annoying and makes chatting with older pilots a little confusing.
Any chance you could help me out? :P

Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#4 - 2012-03-14 21:54:22 UTC
This should help, OP:

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Smack_Talk#Smack_Talk

(Yes, there's a lot of it! We nerds like our cool sci-fi-ish acronyms, it would seem.)

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Hawklandier Taranogas
Old American Syndicate
Optimistic Wasteland
#5 - 2012-03-14 22:01:51 UTC

(Yes, there's a lot of it! We nerds like our cool sci-fi-ish acronyms, it would seem.)

Pal, if i were to slander you for being a nerd, that would make me a hypocrite :P
Thanks for the link, will read through it.

Buzzmong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-03-14 23:03:56 UTC
You know, the search function does actually work:

(1)

(2)

Enjoy.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#7 - 2012-03-14 23:04:08 UTC
HAM == Heavy Assault Missile
HAC == Heavy Assault Cruiser

The best way to learn what acronyms mean is to just ask someone in a chat channel (or even Local). Most vets know what most things mean and many of them will help out if you're genuinely trying to figure it out. Or, if all else fails, Google.
Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#8 - 2012-03-15 01:42:19 UTC
Hawklandier Taranogas wrote:

Pal, if i were to slander you for being a nerd, that would make me a hypocrite :P
Thanks for the link, will read through it.

We are nerds!

Nerd-girls are win (because intelligence is sexy).

And we will rule the world soon, not Soon(TM).

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Tobiaz
Spacerats
#9 - 2012-03-15 11:44:34 UTC
mxzf wrote:
HAM == Heavy Assault Missile
HAC == Heavy Assault Cruiser

The best way to learn what acronyms mean is to just ask someone in a chat channel (or even Local). Most vets know what most things mean and many of them will help out if you're genuinely trying to figure it out. Or, if all else fails, Google.

As a group on the market they are still called 'Heavy Assault Missiles', but it's not their actual name anymore... stupid CCP. The acronym will probably stick though. Everybody is still calling a Raven Navy Issue a 'CNR' after all.

Operation WRITE DOWN ALL THE THINGS!!!  Check out the list at http://bit.ly/wdatt Collecting and compiling all fixes and ideas for EVE. Looking for more editors!

Nalha Saldana
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-03-15 11:57:32 UTC
Heavy assault missiles are about to be changed to just assault missiles and the current assault missile launchers to Light Missile Array which clarifies a lot of confusion there.
Jastra
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-03-15 12:30:47 UTC
Nalha Saldana wrote:
Heavy assault missiles are about to be changed to just assault missiles and the current assault missile launchers to Light Missile Array which clarifies a lot of confusion there.

LOL