These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Canadian Law / User rights trump digital locks

Author
Terminal Insanity
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-03-12 13:38:29 UTC
If you're a Canadian and like technology, you should READ and SIGN this.

https://petition.liberal.ca/user-rights-trump-digital-locks/

The Conservative government is getting ready to pass a Copyright Act that has one of the most restrictive digital lock provisions in the world. This bill will make it illegal to copy a DVD so you can watch it on your tablet – even if you are not infringing on copyright

Quote:
To: Stephen Harper

I, the undersigned, support the Liberal amendment on Bill C-11 to protect user rights against unfair digital locks by allowing digital locks to be broken for copyright materials used for non-infringing purposes:

41. The following definitions apply in this section and in sections 41.1 to 41.21.
“circumvent” means,

(a) in respect of a technological protection measure within the meaning of
paragraph (a) of the definition “technological protection measure”, to descramble a scrambled work or decrypt an encrypted work or to otherwise avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate or impair the technological protection measure, for any infringing purpose, unless it is done with the authority of the copyright owner; and

(b) in respect of a technological protection measure within the meaning of
paragraph (b) of the definition “technological protection measure”, to avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate or impair the technological protection measure for any infringing purpose.

- your name, postal code

"War declarations are never officially considered griefing and are not a bannable offense, and it has been repeatedly stated by the developers that the possibility for non-consensual PvP is an intended feature." - CCP

Adunh Slavy
#2 - 2012-03-12 15:48:59 UTC
Terminal Insanity wrote:
If you're a Canadian and like technology, you should READ and SIGN this.

https://petition.liberal.ca/user-rights-trump-digital-locks/

The Conservative government is getting ready to pass a Copyright Act that has one of the most restrictive digital lock provisions in the world. This bill will make it illegal to copy a DVD so you can watch it on your tablet – even if you are not infringing on copyright



Oddly enough, the liberal government in the US is trying the same crap. This has nothing to do with right or left, it has everything to do with governments trying to clamp down on IP and protect the profits of their friends.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Roosterton
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-03-13 04:14:39 UTC
He wasn't using it in the context of right/left. In Canada we actually have a political party called the "Conservative party of Canada."

themoreyouknow.jpg
Adunh Slavy
#4 - 2012-03-13 05:33:33 UTC
Roosterton wrote:
He wasn't using it in the context of right/left. In Canada we actually have a political party called the "Conservative party of Canada."

themoreyouknow.jpg



I am aware of that, Another one of those mixed bags like the US GOP has been since the 60s, "center right progressives".

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Fraszoid
Miner Guide to the Galaxy
#5 - 2012-03-14 00:31:57 UTC
Another good one is http://openmedia.ca/ they are standing up for all the digital rights of Canadians, including the proposed internet bandwidth clamp down. Give them a look and sign there too, the more we show our displeasure, the more they will have to listen to us.
leviticus ander
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-03-14 18:18:45 UTC
damn, they are doing good things for the gun registry, but they are trying to kill the internet.
Shogun Archer
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-03-15 08:49:42 UTC
Roosterton wrote:
He wasn't using it in the context of right/left. In Canada we actually have a political party called the "Conservative party of Canada."

themoreyouknow.jpg



But he didn't say the "Conservative Party of Canada". He said the conservative government.

I'm pretty moderate politically, but I also see this kind of legislation just as much from the left and the right.

Tipper Gore (Al Gore's wife) in the 90's invented that whole music warning label crap.

Well, and Al gore invented the internet.

If you run into more than 2 a**holes in a day, you should probably look in the mirror.

Sidus Isaacs
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-03-15 10:47:33 UTC
Adunh Slavy wrote:
Terminal Insanity wrote:
If you're a Canadian and like technology, you should READ and SIGN this.

https://petition.liberal.ca/user-rights-trump-digital-locks/

The Conservative government is getting ready to pass a Copyright Act that has one of the most restrictive digital lock provisions in the world. This bill will make it illegal to copy a DVD so you can watch it on your tablet – even if you are not infringing on copyright



Oddly enough, the liberal government in the US is trying the same crap. This has nothing to do with right or left, it has everything to do with governments trying to clamp down on IP and protect the profits of their friends.


It is not odd at all, it has been going on for years for anyone who have paied a little bit of atention.
Adunh Slavy
#9 - 2012-03-15 15:42:49 UTC
Sidus Isaacs wrote:
Adunh Slavy wrote:

Oddly enough, the liberal government in the US is trying the same crap. This has nothing to do with right or left, it has everything to do with governments trying to clamp down on IP and protect the profits of their friends.


It is not odd at all, it has been going on for years for anyone who have paied a little bit of atention.



I should have added the sarcasm flag to my use of the word "oddly"? :)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt