These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

caldari ships are bombardment?

Author
Marcus Harikari
#1 - 2012-03-11 17:33:57 UTC
according to the dev blog http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=9129

Bombardment ships: provide heavy fire support to pin the enemy down with constant barrage of ordnance. Have great damage and range, average defense and mobility. Can be compared to artillery. EVE examples: Raven, Drake, caracal.

....???? I thought missiles aren't good at long ranges because of the time it takes for them to hit? Derp. And uhhh...average defense? Oh hell no, you better not be thinking of nerfing the Drake, again.
Marcus Harikari
#2 - 2012-03-11 17:37:35 UTC
oh wait but look at this:
Combat ships: designed for direct fights, such vessels are usually found spear heading an attack force, or sniping from long range. Have great damage and defense, but poor mobility. A good representation would be 18th century "ships of the line". EVE examples: Abaddon, Rokh, Hyperion, Maelstrom, Ferox, Maller.

ferox, eh? i thought it had worse firepower AND worse defenses than the drake? hmmmmmmm?
Marcus Harikari
#3 - 2012-03-11 17:39:01 UTC
i guess if they want to buff the ferox, that would make sense...uhm...not sure what the point of sniping missile ships is tho....
Utremi Fasolasi
La Dolce Vita
#4 - 2012-03-11 17:40:02 UTC
Marcus Harikari wrote:
according to the dev blog http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=9129

Bombardment ships: provide heavy fire support to pin the enemy down with constant barrage of ordnance. Have great damage and range, average defense and mobility. Can be compared to artillery. EVE examples: Raven, Drake, caracal.

....???? I thought missiles aren't good at long ranges because of the time it takes for them to hit? Derp. And uhhh...average defense? Oh hell no, you better not be thinking of nerfing the Drake, again.

Well against structures that's not so much an issue. And long range missile barrage is what makes Caldari missile boats so good in missions.

1. Warp in at 70 klicks
2. Blow up everything before it gets close enough to do damage
3. ???
4. Profit.
Doggy Dogwoofwoof
New Eden Corporation 98713347
Brotherhood of Spacers
#5 - 2012-03-11 17:40:33 UTC
Marcus, missiles do full damage at that range, and have decent alpha, plus they cant miss. meaning there good at bombarding the target.
Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#6 - 2012-03-11 17:45:48 UTC
Try waiting until we see some stats before soiling your diaper.

Katrina Oniseki

Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-03-11 20:01:21 UTC
Missiles are good at long range because they will never miss and naturally have long range. With good skills a tengu can launch HAMs out to 70km

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-03-11 20:20:07 UTC
"Bombardment" is the role those ships will get once the rebalancing is done. Same goes for the role of the ferox.
I am just being slightly optimistic and going to assume that CCP knows perfectly well the "problem"- ships like ferox or prophecy and are going to address these issue in the course of rebalancing and applying new roles to them.

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.