These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page
 

Is it possible to play EVE casually?

Author
Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#21 - 2011-09-22 20:00:38 UTC
Morganta wrote:
Hans Jagerblitzen wrote:
Is it possible to shoot heron casually?


why would you shoot a heron, they're nice birds and probably don't taste very good


I was referring to the....."booster", Not the bird :) Yes, it was intentionally mispelled.

CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#22 - 2011-09-22 20:13:15 UTC
Karn Dulake wrote:
There was a time in this game that i was a super CEO trying and never off this game. It got to the point where i considered putting a ad in the papers asking if there were any childless couples with a basement that they did not use.

Along time ago i asked for advice on this forum about being a CEO and one person wrote "put a gun to your head now" and that is the advice i will give to anyone who wants to be a CEO. i once had 16 private convoes come up before the screen had even loaded (ye gods)

Anyway i got burned out and stopped playing.


Question. Is it possible to play this game casually. i mission in a 5/5 Tach nightmare and can make a plex in a day if i work hard. it has the second highest DPS of any Battleship and is the best mission ship in the game just melts everything (ETF warriors before you get upset and feel the need to post raw data the Nightmare has such a good tracking system that most of its hits are "well aimed" and "excellent". This is not shown on ETF. For everyone one else i fly a gank/tracking nightmare 4 heat sinks and 2 tracking mods in the mids. )



What else can i do when i only want to play sometimes for a few hours a week at times. PVP in lowsec is Gaylente and ive not tried nullsec. is it possible with a one man set up and an unskilled scout ?

I can fly amarr/caldari boats and ill be moving onto minmatar in the next week and after i completed that i will have trained ever faction in the game.


Any advice will be needed but i need an EVE online experience with no responsibility at all. my days as a CEO/diplomat are well and truly over.



I did the CEO thing and yeah I totally sympathise with you. Man, there's nothing like getting home after a long day at work and then having 3 hours of admin and ballache to deal with before you even get to undock.

So this last few years, I flatly refuse any responsibility, and now although I play a lot, I definitely play casually. I'm pretty happy being a grunt. If I want to go do something else for a couple of weeks, it's absolutely not a problem fo me or anyone else.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Barakkus
#23 - 2011-09-22 20:15:13 UTC
Yes, casual is very doable.

I run incursions for money, then I go get money blown up in lowsec with some friends. I only play when I want to, and don't answer to anyone but myself. I make just enough to feed my pvp and plex an alt. :)

http://youtu.be/yytbDZrw1jc

T'Laar Bok
#24 - 2011-09-22 20:23:07 UTC
Karn Dulake wrote:
Anyway i got burned out and stopped playing.


So did my wife so I turned all her toons into miners for my Roving Mining Op of Dooom

Amphetimines are your friend.

http://eveboard.com/pilot/T'Laar_Bok

Ladie Harlot
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2011-09-22 20:25:19 UTC
T'Laar Bok wrote:
toons

The artist formerly known as Ladie Scarlet.

Long John Silver
Doomheim
#26 - 2011-09-22 21:16:31 UTC
Yeah I'd call myself a casual player. Online about three times a week, usually just for a couple of hours.

I used to be a CEO of a medium sized empire corp and found it too much like work, but there's just five of us left now and we only occasionally are online together. That suits us all.

So what do I chase in EVE? Mostly a good time. My main is aiming to get a standing of 10.0 with all four main empire navies, running L4/5's solo... 2 down, working on the last two now.

I've also developed my alts a bit, usually spend about a month skilling them up on the basic stuff to L4, throw them in a battlecruiser and go make some mischief in lowsec... or even hisec if I feel in the mood. Setting off eight large smartbombs in a T1 battleship in hi-sec is something everyone should experience at least once! When their sec status becomes a problem, biomass them and start over. Disposable characters are fun... especially if you have reached a cash rich state with your main and have isk to spare... you have absolutely nothing to lose!

**Long John Silver **| Pirate Alt and Forum Troll.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#27 - 2011-09-22 22:12:57 UTC
CCP hates lone wolves, and always will. I would bet they are even trying to come up with a "explode on undock if not in fleet" feature and work that into the game mechanics smoothly.

With that considered, it IS possible to play casually and solo too, but with some limitations to how far you can go.

Therein lies the rub: on the one hand, the game is supposed to be a sandbox and you can play it your way, on the other hand it's always "race to the top" and all content or motivations thereof being portayed to that point such that if you don't become the big alliance head with the trillions of ISK and faction ships, or some hardcore 0.0 warrior with 1000s of killmails, then you are some kind of loser who should go back to WOW.

If I could ask CCP, I would say "What's it going to be? Is this a race with one finish line or a sandbox where you set your own goals?"

Because of this disparity in perception of how or what this game is, it lacks "things to do" as far as being a sandbox goes, and gives way too much to be done for what is being seen as the so-called "end game".
And even what is seen as an end game is somewhat of a letdown to those who perceive that, and actually achieve it. You get out to 0.0 and... congrats you are a renter. You go to low sec looking for the yarrage, and it's a big cat and mouse game.


CCP could vastly increase the sub rate without having to make EvE a "everything revolves around you" kind of game. They already do what I would suggest, but in a half-baked way (good idea not implemented enough). They need only do 2 things:

1. Increase exploration content and escalations. Most DED complexes up to threat level 4 of 10 a single player can handle. The escalations are also good, but a bit uncommon, and they get old. An escalation can go to various levels of difficulty. More exploration content, more escalations with a timer that is more than 24 hours (if you don't go into the next "room" of an escalation for 24 hours, it's gone) , and those who can play only a few times a week will have more to do.
2. Foster small engagements. We all know the usual arguments about "blob warfare" and "supercap drops". There are a lot of people who simply want to roam around and pick off the weak, steal, rob, kill, and all that other good stuff, but the given mechanics work against this. Many threads exist on these topics.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Hung Lika
Donner Party
#28 - 2011-09-22 22:48:08 UTC
Quote:
It is possible to make 400 million in an evening

Since when? Nullsec maybe, after many hours if you get some good drops.

Quote:
I have enough isk for 2.5 years


At 380m/mth, that's 11.5b roughly. If you can make 400m a night, you would have made that in less than a month. Solo!

And you're a casual player? What did I miss?
Karn Dulake
Doomheim
#29 - 2011-09-22 23:01:23 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
CCP hates lone wolves, and always will. I would bet they are even trying to come up with a "explode on undock if not in fleet" feature and work that into the game mechanics smoothly.

With that considered, it IS possible to play casually and solo too, but with some limitations to how far you can go.

Therein lies the rub: on the one hand, the game is supposed to be a sandbox and you can play it your way, on the other hand it's always "race to the top" and all content or motivations thereof being portayed to that point such that if you don't become the big alliance head with the trillions of ISK and faction ships, or some hardcore 0.0 warrior with 1000s of killmails, then you are some kind of loser who should go back to WOW.

If I could ask CCP, I would say "What's it going to be? Is this a race with one finish line or a sandbox where you set your own goals?"

Because of this disparity in perception of how or what this game is, it lacks "things to do" as far as being a sandbox goes, and gives way too much to be done for what is being seen as the so-called "end game".
And even what is seen as an end game is somewhat of a letdown to those who perceive that, and actually achieve it. You get out to 0.0 and... congrats you are a renter. You go to low sec looking for the yarrage, and it's a big cat and mouse game.


CCP could vastly increase the sub rate without having to make EvE a "everything revolves around you" kind of game. They already do what I would suggest, but in a half-baked way (good idea not implemented enough). They need only do 2 things:

1. Increase exploration content and escalations. Most DED complexes up to threat level 4 of 10 a single player can handle. The escalations are also good, but a bit uncommon, and they get old. An escalation can go to various levels of difficulty. More exploration content, more escalations with a timer that is more than 24 hours (if you don't go into the next "room" of an escalation for 24 hours, it's gone) , and those who can play only a few times a week will have more to do.
2. Foster small engagements. We all know the usual arguments about "blob warfare" and "supercap drops". There are a lot of people who simply want to roam around and pick off the weak, steal, rob, kill, and all that other good stuff, but the given mechanics work against this. Many threads exist on these topics.




quoted for truth




Hung Lika this is how


Also 11.5 billion is easy to make when i was really on fire with this game.

All isk i made went into BPOS and had 20 slots on alts skilling them all the time.

i made Cap ships, battleships all types of missiles, cruisers.

30 slots building all of the time.


most of my wealth was in trading where i made a fortune very very quickly.

On top of that i was missioning all of the time in the best mission ship in the game (better than everything. i use faction ammo crystals no one else can do that without it being very very expensive)

These three endevours made me very rich and the 11.5 billion isk does not include all of my BPOS and ships, and faction gear.


Making isk in this game is very very easy if you are prepared to put the time into it.
I dont normally troll, but when i do i do it on General Discussion.
Russell Casey
Doomheim
#30 - 2011-09-22 23:43:20 UTC
How to play the game casually:

Step 1: Log on.

Step 2: Do stuff.

Step 3: Log off.

Wasn't that easy?
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#31 - 2011-09-22 23:54:06 UTC
Pick something to do. Log on. Do it. Log off.

There's casual play for you.

Activities that I consider to be particularly casual-friendly are:


Hopefully this gives you some inspiration Smile

Note: with RvB, you can train up a PvP alt to fly a particular frigate very well. On your money-making alt, you simply farm up the ISK to keep the account going, and keep the PvP alt supplied with frigates fitted a particular way. You might even explore manufacturing the frigates and T1 modules, selling the supplies in the RvB home systems, and gradually expanding your trade and manufacturing base.
SilentSkills
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2011-09-23 01:00:13 UTC
Simetraz wrote:

Have fun, nobody can tell you what you can and can't do in this game.
It is all about what you are willing to do, and how much patience you have.
Easy goals tend to bore people quickly.
And you have nothing but time to burn



This is the best piece of advice I've seen in the forums in a while.
T' Elk
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2011-09-23 01:01:27 UTC
Notsureifserious.jpg

~Badposter since FOOOOREEEEEVAAAAAR~ I come back after 2 years to THIS? ~Now 4 years apparently

The Apostle
Doomheim
#34 - 2011-09-23 01:02:40 UTC
Quote:
It is possible to make 400 million in an evening

Quote:
All isk i made went into BPOS and had 20 slots on alts skilling them all the time.

i made Cap ships, battleships all types of missiles, cruisers.

30 slots building all of the time.


most of my wealth was in trading where i made a fortune very very quickly.

On top of that i was missioning all of the time in the best mission ship in the game (better than everything. i use faction ammo crystals no one else can do that without it being very very expensive)


I think Hung Lika must have missed the bit where you said you ran 20+ alts and 6 POS's. Come to think of it, so did I.

But.. cough cough.

As for your "super" mission ship. Mmmm. k. Most misioners run faction ammo and/or T2.

For the record, my alts run a maxed Tengu, with Claymore support/DPS and a Noctis. I triple run L4's and make about 100m without loot/LP's per day. With LP's and loot/salvage, might make close to 200m per day.

Sale of items with an average of 10% profit (if you're lucky) you would need to sell 2b per day to make the other 200m. Given that you're running missions all day, you're buying all your minerals for production. Yes?

And since most stuff on market is below cost because players do not figure in mining TIME as a cost, you won't even make 10% markup on market.

I run 21 alts in total on 7 chars, all fully engaged. Only when my 30 day+ copy cycles rotate I might push 400m per day and even then, the cost alone to run the POS's for the BPO's pulls most of this profit back very, very quickly.

Thus, making anywhere near 400m profit/day consistently in high-sec is really stretching it imho. Might be your turnover. A totally different number.

[i]Take an aspirin. If pain persists consult your local priest. WTB: An Austrian kangaroo![/i]

Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#35 - 2011-09-23 02:33:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Brooks Puuntai
Malcanis wrote:

I did the CEO thing and yeah I totally sympathise with you. Man, there's nothing like getting home after a long day at work and then having 3 hours of admin and ballache to deal with before you even get to undock.


You actually got to undock?


The Apostle wrote:


Thus, making anywhere near 400m profit/day consistently in high-sec is really stretching it imho. Might be your turnover. A totally different number.



There is away to make that much in one day in high-sec. It also doesn't involve POSs, missions, or even the need to undock. However it does require a hefty initial sum of isk.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

The Apostle
Doomheim
#36 - 2011-09-23 02:54:00 UTC
Quote:
There is away to make that much in one day in high-sec. It also doesn't involve POSs, missions, or even the need to undock. However it does require a hefty initial sum of isk.


Send mail.

In return I'll give you 5 "Hail Mary" get out of Jail free cards, 9 cookies, 4 ponies and a donut.

[i]Take an aspirin. If pain persists consult your local priest. WTB: An Austrian kangaroo![/i]

Karn Dulake
Doomheim
#37 - 2011-09-23 05:02:21 UTC
The Apostle wrote:
Quote:
It is possible to make 400 million in an evening

Quote:
All isk i made went into BPOS and had 20 slots on alts skilling them all the time.

i made Cap ships, battleships all types of missiles, cruisers.

30 slots building all of the time.


most of my wealth was in trading where i made a fortune very very quickly.

On top of that i was missioning all of the time in the best mission ship in the game (better than everything. i use faction ammo crystals no one else can do that without it being very very expensive)


I think Hung Lika must have missed the bit where you said you ran 20+ alts and 6 POS's. Come to think of it, so did I.

But.. cough cough.

As for your "super" mission ship. Mmmm. k. Most misioners run faction ammo and/or T2.

For the record, my alts run a maxed Tengu, with Claymore support/DPS and a Noctis. I triple run L4's and make about 100m without loot/LP's per day. With LP's and loot/salvage, might make close to 200m per day.

Sale of items with an average of 10% profit (if you're lucky) you would need to sell 2b per day to make the other 200m. Given that you're running missions all day, you're buying all your minerals for production. Yes?

And since most stuff on market is below cost because players do not figure in mining TIME as a cost, you won't even make 10% markup on market.

I run 21 alts in total on 7 chars, all fully engaged. Only when my 30 day+ copy cycles rotate I might push 400m per day and even then, the cost alone to run the POS's for the BPO's pulls most of this profit back very, very quickly.

Thus, making anywhere near 400m profit/day consistently in high-sec is really stretching it imho. Might be your turnover. A totally different number.




Couple of things to add to this

1. I never owned my own POS. i was lucky enough to use other peoples POSes for free which kept the price down significantly.

2. When you mission there are only a few items that give ovef 1000 isk per LP but there are some that give you 3000 isk per LP

3. Making isk on the markets is very easy as most people dont know how a market works and how local variance bubbles work. Also i ground out standings for the major hubs so i could refine there.
There are people who make killings on the market far more than me. one i did was when the price of price or minerals went through the roof over the course of a few days and stayed there i sat on the computer for 12 hours just buying and recyling and reselling. Made a sweet fortune. When cap components hit a certain price on the buy orders i bought a lot of cap ships recyled them and sold to the buy orders. the list is endless. I once got word that someone was attempting to corner the market on a certain product and i was waiting in station with a provi loaded with the stuff.

4. But 400 million is only 10 hours of missioning at 40 million an hour. i dont salvage i just burn through missions and the 40 million is (bounties + LP)-LP item costs. its not overly hard. i got to the point where i was scanning down crap in lowsec for no isk as something else to do.

5. i know a professional trader in this game in nullsec who cornered the market on a product using nullsec alliance isk and made 30 billion. The capital he used was the kind of isk only found in a nullsec alliance. Aparently he has a very nice Officer fit Nyx.



Lastly i stopped playing when i did not leave station for an entire week as i had so much stuff to deal with.

I dont normally troll, but when i do i do it on General Discussion.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#38 - 2011-09-23 07:34:26 UTC
Long John Silver wrote:
Setting off eight large smartbombs in a T1 battleship in hi-sec is something everyone should experience at least once! When their sec status becomes a problem, biomass them and start over. Disposable characters are fun... especially if you have reached a cash rich state with your main and have isk to spare... you have absolutely nothing to lose!


I would recommend against boasting about exploiting and advising others to do the same.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

pipvac
Sacred Templars
#39 - 2011-09-23 09:38:03 UTC
There are plenty of good suggestions here, many of which I had to consider myself as real life became more complex and demanding.

Ultimately the issue was mine. It did not matter what I did, I always got frustrated by the fact that is I had "a little more time" I could do something more productive, or join in with my corp mates on some pvp jaunt somewhere. It was this frustration together with CCP's ineptitude which lead to me cancelling all but this account. And this account is here to remain in contact with Eve friends.

I hope you have better success than I did in making the transition from full blown Eve junky, to casual gamer.

All the best.
Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#40 - 2011-09-23 09:39:36 UTC
The Apostle wrote:
Quote:
There is away to make that much in one day in high-sec. It also doesn't involve POSs, missions, or even the need to undock. However it does require a hefty initial sum of isk.


Send mail.

In return I'll give you 5 "Hail Mary" get out of Jail free cards, 9 cookies, 4 ponies and a donut.


Its not a super secret. Its just margin trading. Sit a market alt in Jita and buy low and sell high. With 10-15b initial you should have enough to make 400m/day, but it all depends on how frequent you are at updating and what items/margin you choose.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Previous page123Next page