These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Time, energy investment ratio to fun in EVE

Author
Macrathleachlainn Lucian
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-03-08 01:38:08 UTC
Flying spaceships with friends.

How much fun are you having actually playing the game.

I am not talking about the fun you have sitting on comms, grinding ISK or mining asteroids so you can build or buy stuff to fly with, or the amount of fun you have looking at skill q's count down so you are actually finally able to go out and fly.

On a scale from 1 to 10 I'd be most interested in hearing from you how much fun you are having doing the things you really want to do for the amount of time and energy invested.

Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
#2 - 2012-03-08 02:10:42 UTC
I fly from belt to belt to belt looking for Shadow Serpentis to kill. Use the time spent flying from belt to belt to belt as the ratio I spend killing Shadow Serpentis? 2%

I scan down wormholes and jump through to scan down other wormholes. I call it pigtailing. Looking for High Sec inside a WH and seeing where I come out. I used to be able to do this in an hr and a half or so and it was a sure thing. Since they decided to change out default Class one to High sec I have yet to pigtail out. I end up in a 2 that leads to 4's that lead to null. So I end up back pathing, docking up and logging out.
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#3 - 2012-03-08 02:18:02 UTC
Your post gave me 4/10 fun.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Rory Orlenard
Eve Pilots Revolutionary Army
#4 - 2012-03-08 02:20:38 UTC
Can we talk ? to quote Joan Rivers. I'm not sure how much fun i ever had in Eve, i had a sense of accomplishment building a

one man pos in a wormhole, then a highsec research pos, then a T3 ship. I guess the fun was a byproduct of accomplishing

goals that offered a challenge - something other online games have long ago left in the dust.

In the new age of instant gratification where mmo's make everything so easy Eve is about the last refuge for players who want a challenge.

So is Eve fun ? IDK ..but i spent alot of time here.
MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#5 - 2012-03-08 02:36:32 UTC
To paraphrase Yahtzee's Minecraft review:

"It is sort of like a model railway. A hobby you spend hours on boring everyone to death with because if you can find one person that likes it you'll rejoice that it hasn't all been a giant f***ing waste of time"

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

Macrathleachlainn Lucian
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-03-08 02:49:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Macrathleachlainn Lucian
EVE is more than a game, it is a multicultural social networking and learning platform, an economic simulator and last but not least can be a great hobby.

However, I feel there is a lot of fun game play missing.

It most certainly has the potential.

As an example, when I go snowboarding for a week, a good 30% of those 7 days I am going to spend riding that mountain having fun. Proper proportions.

PVP either solo or small gang for me has been the most fun I have been able to have in EVE. That is just simply the game within the game I enjoy.

From a new player's perspective, if you think about how long the bus ride (skill q) is, and the time you need to go out roaming looking for that (good) fight that is enjoyable, the proportions seem to be not worth it.

Perhaps this game is indeed not for me but I damn straight know it has the potential to be.
Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#7 - 2012-03-08 09:37:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Serge Bastana
Part of the fun is setting your own goals and working towards them. In the respect of getting out and finding fights, you have a point in that it can take a while to find them and that could possibly be improved upon, though I guess it depends where you roam.

I like having not done everything yet and having stuff still to try and explore. Stick around, you never know what's around the corner.

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Noceur-01 Tiers
Red vs Blue Flight Academy
#8 - 2012-03-08 10:00:44 UTC
When did I ever have FUN in a MMORPG I wonder, very very rarely maybe the initial exploring and finding new stuff out and such but in general I believe its more a feeling of working towards a goal and feeling that you achieve something (even if you dont. lol).
Ann133566
Doomheim
#9 - 2012-03-08 10:15:27 UTC
The best content EVE has is the people that inhabit it. Some are crazy, stupid, petty, kind, clever, sly, boring, funny and some are just plain weird. In my view, MMOs shouldn't really primarily about the gameplay although it is extremely important, but the social aspect should be central. This is one of the reasons why I am puzzled with games like the new Star Wars that call themselves MMOs but focus much of their resources on solo content.

Although I am guilty of soloing too much myself, I am happiest in this game when I am in a fleet hunting down another fleet and trying to goad others into a fight. The weeks of skill training, and ISK farming suddenly seems worth it. At least until a lose my ship and pod. Cry
Valentyn3
Deep Core Mining Inc.
#10 - 2012-03-08 10:29:16 UTC
For me it's the vast world they have created along with the buttloads of fiction in it. Depth is pretty high on what I look for in an RPG.

Grinding can be stale but I find the randomness of scanning can keep it pretty fresh.

I don't always use hax. But when I do, it's because I'm an NPC.. http://i.imgur.com/PUZou.jpg

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#11 - 2012-03-08 10:41:16 UTC
EvE is a game, but games don't need to be necessarily or always fun.

EvE is about setting your own objectives and achieving them.

For some this is fun, for others it's not.

There are the fun bits on top of the EvE cake of course but they are not at the center of this MMO.
Sasha Azala
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-03-08 10:51:19 UTC
Macrathleachlainn Lucian wrote:
Flying spaceships with friends.

How much fun are you having actually playing the game.

I am not talking about the fun you have sitting on comms, grinding ISK or mining asteroids so you can build or buy stuff to fly with, or the amount of fun you have looking at skill q's count down so you are actually finally able to go out and fly.

On a scale from 1 to 10 I'd be most interested in hearing from you how much fun you are having doing the things you really want to do for the amount of time and energy invested.

I guess, you're not having fun. If you were having fun you wouldn't be worrying about how much time and energy you were investing in it.
Eternus8lux8lucis
Guardians of the Gate
RAZOR Alliance
#13 - 2012-03-08 10:55:48 UTC
Goals. Creating them and attaining them. That and getting to be your own boss and determining what you want to do with your time irregardless of what others think or say, something so uncommon in real life these days.

Ive learned in life that the greatest fun can be had by creating challenges for myself and then attaining them. Then placing new ones just out of the possibility reach and STILL attaining them, Eve allows me to do that daily still. Thats why Im still around.

Have you heard anything I've said?

You said it's all circling the drain, the whole universe. Right?

That's right.

Had to end sometime.

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#14 - 2012-03-08 11:04:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Roime
Huge part of finding the perfect ratio of buildup/fun is finding out what you enjoy most, and working out a position to enjoy it. In a complex sandbox like this, you are the only person who can do it.

For me, the optimal solution has turned out to be based in a wh with lowsec static. Conquering the wormhole itself was a fantastic project, culminating in watching the POS shield bubble go up. It's our system and we pillage and harvest it as we please :) Lowsec static gives us immediate access to exploration and roaming, and if we get no luck in the sites or get ourselves blown up, we have a steady source of income from home anomalies and resources.

Obviously there is some amount or "stuff that needs to be done" in order to prosper in whs, but being under constant exposure to pvp makes even logistics interesting. Traveling, like everything else in hisec is terribly boring, but running blockades thru camps and scouting for corpies is actually fun.

So yeah, I'm doing exactly what I want in EVE now on my own terms, and I'm very lucky to share it with a tight group of great pilots who feel the same. There were moments when I needed to step up and take the initiative to be here now, but hey, carpe diem is not bullshit Cool

I'm not aware of any other virtual environment that offers this level of being there, sense of achievement and rewards initiative while having cheap fun - thanks CCP <3

omg, after reading this I realize just how hooked I am Lol well, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

P.S. For reasons mentioned above, I voted Seleene for CSM7.

Macrathleachlainn Lucian
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-03-08 11:04:55 UTC
In a certain way you are right.

I have not been having as much fun as I would like to have been having.

There are other activities in life so far that have been far more rewarding regarding playing communities, and by that I do not necessarily mean videogames or MMO's.

Do not get me wrong, I still very much hold EVE as being a platform that in many aspects holds a lot of potential. I also know it can simply take quite a bit of time (like other things in this game) to find your place and make your fit.

Quote:
The best content EVE has is the people that inhabit it. Some are crazy, stupid, petty, kind, clever, sly, boring, funny and some are just plain weird. In my view, MMOs shouldn't really primarily about the gameplay although it is extremely important, but the social aspect should be central.

This is something I really agree with, and I have to say above all else, EVE is a really great place to meet people of all flags and colours and share great times with, aside from playing EVE itself.

EVE in that regards is in many ways a huge learning platform when it comes to networking, developing social and communication skills and it is for that very reason I am very thankful for what it has to offer.
Valerius Anthar
Nuts Butts and EuroSluts
#16 - 2012-03-08 11:07:03 UTC
I'm not really sure whether the investment has paid off for me yet. I bought three months, but pretty much all the vets I've met tell me that since big isn't better in EvE and sometimes it's even suicide (especially since I have low skills atm.) I don't feel like I've progressed very far in the first month. But then they also say, don't leave the thing on for six months and then come back, you'll have no experience! I guess I can see the logic in that, and yes losing ships is an educational experience, but only to a certain extent. Joining RvB has also helped alot, but then again, most of the fights there are blob fights, which satisfies my need for virtual killmail whoring and pew pews, but doesn't necessarily advance me towards a concrete objective, which Vaerah talked about in her post.

For me, the objective would be to advance my combat capabilities particularly in player vs player ship combat and be able to fly in larger ships and duke it out with other larger ships.
Months of waiting and isk grinding to consistently fly the ships that to me (personally) seems interesting or fun to fly is quite an uncertain investment. I guess vets will now reassure me that EvE "picks up after the first month"; I sincerely hope that this is the case, because this seems to me to be the only good Sci-Fi mmo out on the market right now and one that appeals to my love of ship to ship combat.
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#17 - 2012-03-08 11:10:29 UTC
I'm having as much fun as the time I play, so if I put 1 hour of energy I have 1 hour of fun. Else I would log off.

Knowing there is a goal to reach makes the path there fun and enjoyable for me.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Macrathleachlainn Lucian
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2012-03-08 11:31:21 UTC
I would very much like to thank everyone replying in this thread for it shows a like minded set of intellectual individuals with a constructive mindset that indeed give me a fresh breath of insight.

That humbles me for the very reason it is something that should stand central in perhaps not only EVE but life itself.

It is important to have goals, but they are not the source of being happy. It is in fact here and now and the road you walk alone or together that makes for the enjoyable experience.
Opertone
State War Academy
Caldari State
#19 - 2012-03-08 11:31:49 UTC
very little fun

a lot of challenge, some people play for the challenge, not for the fun.

SOME mmo's may be fun to play, but most of them a grind. Yet eve gives satisfaction in challenge it presents, seriously you learn to enjoy the grind.

This post sums up why the 'best' work with DCM inc.

WARP DRIVE makes eve boring

really - add warping align time 300% on gun aggression and eve becomes great again

Abyss Azizora
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2012-03-08 12:28:04 UTC
At the moment... 3/10, but thats because I'm isk farming and setting up a supply chain to fund my fun.

When out pew pewing, it's a 6-7/10 most of the time, with it very rarely reaching 9/10 if I by some act of God I run into someone not in a 20+ man gang/blob to shoot at.
12Next page