These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Probe Jammers

Author
Futonofpain
Falcate Transport Company
#1 - 2012-03-07 20:48:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Futonofpain
My idea is for a fast anchoring module, similar to a dictor bubble. (Decently sized too. Certainly too big to fit in frigate holds). Once dropped and activated, it scrambles the readings of probes anywhere from 200-400 km depending on its tech/meta level.

It only lasts for a limited duration, again, depending on its tech/meta level

While active, it shows up on the system overview the same way a cyno does. However, due to its sensor scrambling properties, trying to warp to it will drop you at the edge of its jamming radius.

In other words using this module makes it much harder/impossible to probe down your exact location, but broadcasts your rough location to everyone.

Well, what do y'all think?
Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#2 - 2012-03-07 20:53:56 UTC
This isn't such a bad idea.

It could actually give snipers a valid role again.

I can see one issue though, What's to stop the enemy warping in, dropping out 200km away and then warping straight on top of you? Isn't it similar to lighting a beacon on your head?
Velicitia
XS Tech
#3 - 2012-03-07 21:07:23 UTC
Tchulen wrote:
This isn't such a bad idea.

It could actually give snipers a valid role again.

I can see one issue though, What's to stop the enemy warping in, dropping out 200km away and then warping straight on top of you? Isn't it similar to lighting a beacon on your head?

I would assume it works like a drag bubble unless you're doing an on-grid warp.

i.e. OK, there's the beacon! warp to it @ 0!! (fleet lands 200km away from the centre) ... until they get a 'ceptor into the midst of the fleet in the bubble, no warpin on them.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Futonofpain
#4 - 2012-03-07 21:10:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Futonofpain
Velicitia wrote:

I would assume it works like a drag bubble unless you're doing an on-grid warp.

i.e. OK, there's the beacon! warp to it @ 0!! (fleet lands 200km away from the centre) ... until they get a 'ceptor into the midst of the fleet in the bubble, no warpin on them.

That is what I had in mind.
Pou Tau
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2012-03-07 22:09:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Pou Tau
So you want to mission and rat in more safety? and have a 400km drag bubble for your sanctum? and even though they can see your location they would never be able to warp to you if you were in a mission or site?

Yes this is a well thought out and fair idea.
Futonofpain
#6 - 2012-03-07 23:44:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Futonofpain
Pou Tau wrote:
So you want to mission and rat in more safety? and have a 400km drag bubble for your sanctum? and even though they can see your location they would never be able to warp to you if you were in a mission or site?

Yes this is a well thought out and fair idea.

Acceleration Gates don't use guidance so they wouldn't be affected by probe jammers. Thus, activating one inside of a deadspace compex would be suicidal as it would provide everyone in the system with an insta-warp right to the entrance gate.
Kitt JT
True North.
#7 - 2012-03-08 01:09:24 UTC
I'm used to telling people on these forums "no, and here's why"

But this actually doesn't seem like a bad idea. I would like to see snipe battleship fleets come back.

To balance it (make it kind of a double-edged sword), however you have to change it.

As this stands, snipe fleets would become TOO prominent.

To balance it, you could make it so its warp disrupting as well as 'cloaking' your ships from probes (and probes only), it stops said sniping fleet from warping. It would make the 'hero ceptor' actually important.

Obviously the radius would have to be a lot lower. More on par with a regular dic/hic bubble.

Although that would work well for battleship fleets however, I think the system could easily be abused (people in complexes for example).

The issue is: too large radius, it is OP. Too small radius, its useless if its warped to. I dunno.