These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE FTL is really, really fast.

Author
Kehro Urgus
Dark Nebula Academy
O X I D E
#21 - 2011-09-22 07:48:33 UTC
Baljos Arnjak wrote:
Another way to look at it:

1AU = 93,000,000 miles
3AU = 279,000,000 miles
Speed of light = 186,000 miles/sec

279,000,000 / 186,000 = 1,500

So we're tootling around at a measly 1500x the speed of lightShocked. Hell, a freighter goes 350x the speed of light lol.

Edit: This is assuming, of course, that eve's AU is the same as a regular AU, which it isn't.

It would be intersting if the warp effects realistically portrayed what one would see moving at such speeds. EVE has an economist so why not a theoretical physicist?

Yeeee! 

AFKCloaked AltSpy
Doomheim
#22 - 2011-09-22 10:51:48 UTC
KaarBaak wrote:

Ah, but can you complete the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs?

I have always wondered why they used a measure of distance instead of time. Probably because they threw that movie together with macaroni and a gluegun. But I figured it was a series of jumps avoiding the empire along the way. I.E. the distance to complete it would be critical. Wookiepedia prolly explains it.

To the OP, 5.8 hours per light year at a continuous speed. The ships simply don't have the energy for that kind of traversal. To make it cap stable would increase its mass, increased mas would require a more powerful engine etc etc. Also, waiting several days to get to my destination would be the epitome of "no fuckin way".
The Apostle
Doomheim
#23 - 2011-09-22 11:21:05 UTC
Quote:
Edit: This is assuming, of course, that eve's AU is the same as a regular AU, which it isn't.

Man, that statement is pure gold. Really. It is.

[i]Take an aspirin. If pain persists consult your local priest. WTB: An Austrian kangaroo![/i]

KaarBaak
Squirrel Team
#24 - 2011-09-22 12:02:13 UTC
AFKCloaked AltSpy wrote:
KaarBaak wrote:

I have always wondered why they used a measure of distance instead of time. Probably because they threw that movie together with macaroni and a gluegun. But I figured it was a series of jumps avoiding the empire along the way. I.E. the distance to complete it would be critical. Wookiepedia prolly explains it.

Wookiepedia wrote:
The Kessel Run was one of the most heavily-used routes in the Galactic Empire Han Solo claimed that his Millennium Falcon "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs". A parsec was a unit of distance, not time. Solo was not referring directly to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster, thus making the run in under the standard distance. By moving closer to the black holes, Solo managed to cut the distance down to about 11.5 parsecs. The smuggler, BoShek, actually beat Solo's record in his ship, Infinity, but without cargo to weigh him down. A few months later, Han Solobeat both his own and BoShek's records in a run he made with Luke Skywalker.

Pssh....what nerds those star wars guys are.What?

Dum Spiro Spero

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#25 - 2011-09-22 12:04:33 UTC
AFKCloaked AltSpy wrote:
KaarBaak wrote:

I have always wondered why they used a measure of distance instead of time. *snip*.

It's explained in the expanded universe (the books). Though your first instinct about it is probably right.

The explanation: Kessel's near a bunch of black holes. if you get too close and aren't going fast enough, spaghettification occurs.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Vyl Vit
#26 - 2011-09-22 13:46:33 UTC
Imagine if you will the EVE universe as a map sectioned off into squares. The square you occupy appears on your screen. To enter an adjacent square, you need a transition of some sort. Presto! The jump gate! It's not feasible to present the entire map on your computer in one shot, then smooth-scroll across it - at least not with the graphics engine CCP uses and the hardware most of us use.

It's an old trick. The KOEI game "Uncharted Waters" uses it to present a map of the world. Although, the SNES version of "Uncharted Waters II" does present the whole map, with the smooth transition. Still, I'd assume it's a way to get a whole lot of space into a very small area.

Traveling in hyper space at warp speed is theoretical, of course. The exact dimensions can only be guessed at, or by the more egotistical among us, theorized with "surety." However, it would seem there would be no significant space, or time, involved. One would simply disappear from one's departure point, then reappear at the destination.

Our sensory conditioning, due to accepting without question our existence within four dimensional-time/space tends to make us visualize such travel in a linear sense, as though we'd have a course of travel. So...to get there fast we'd travel in a line at this really high rate of speed. Such would not be the case if we could manage to get something as bulky as a spaceship, and as intricate as ourselves through a theoretical hyper space corridor, (reappearing in the conventional time/space frame in one piece still managing to resemble what it and we were before departure.)

Paradise is like where you are right now, only much, much better.

Kiandoshia
Likely Suspects
RAZOR Alliance
#27 - 2011-09-22 13:55:38 UTC
Kehro Urgus wrote:
Baljos Arnjak wrote:
Another way to look at it:

1AU = 93,000,000 miles
3AU = 279,000,000 miles
Speed of light = 186,000 miles/sec

279,000,000 / 186,000 = 1,500

So we're tootling around at a measly 1500x the speed of lightShocked. Hell, a freighter goes 350x the speed of light lol.

It would be intersting if the warp effects realistically portrayed what one would see moving at such speeds. EVE has an economist so why not a theoretical physicist?

I've been wondering that.. Would you actually see anything in warp?
Tethys Atreides
The Audacity of Huge
#28 - 2011-09-22 14:08:15 UTC
To the front, blinding white. To the rear, nothing.
Basileus Volkan
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2011-09-22 14:15:15 UTC
Vyl Vit wrote:
Imagine if you will the EVE universe as a map sectioned off into squares.

Jumpgates are just a series of tubes, right? Lol
Mai Kusoni
State War Academy
Caldari State
#30 - 2011-09-22 14:36:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Mai Kusoni
Roh Voleto wrote:
We could use navigation maneuvers far beyond the abilities of mortal pilots. We could also afford to screw it up, once in a while, since all we would lose is a ship and a clone.

Don't forget that there are actual crew aboard those ships. Hundreds to thousands of crew members that are sacrificed on a whim with every ship destruction.
Phlegethos
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#31 - 2011-09-22 14:39:26 UTC
Vyl Vit wrote:
Imagine if you will the EVE universe

Ok who just thought about the Twilight Zone just then.
+1 to OP
Taran Summers
PwnCo
#32 - 2011-09-22 14:52:02 UTC
And STL is very very slow. Apollo 10 hit 11.08 km/s if that puts our normal speeds into scale.
Vicious Cell
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#33 - 2011-09-22 14:53:57 UTC
+1 to OP for making an interesting GD post. Smile

And yeah...It'd be interesting if the game had no jumpgates. We'd all fleet up...then warp together as a fleet.

Go afk for 8 hours. Come back and see where were at. hehe.

Leaving a system would be a big decision. Haha. (and entail many things tactics-wise)
Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#34 - 2011-09-22 15:21:34 UTC

The first "iteration" of EVE allowed you to fly between Solar Systems without gates. I think that was Beta though.

Where I am.

raker
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#35 - 2011-09-22 15:58:13 UTC

Interesting post by the OP

However I do feel he has far too much time on his hands Smile
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#36 - 2011-09-22 16:05:44 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
AFKCloaked AltSpy wrote:
KaarBaak wrote:

I have always wondered why they used a measure of distance instead of time. *snip*.

It's explained in the expanded universe (the books). Though your first instinct about it is probably right.

The explanation: Kessel's near a bunch of black holes. if you get too close and aren't going fast enough, spaghettification occurs.

I guess they modified the lore to fit the script. Right after the first movie came out I heard that this was put in the script as an inside joke to those who knew what a parsec was.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Soi Mala
Whacky Waving Inflatable Flailing Arm Tubemen
#37 - 2011-09-22 16:12:17 UTC
But would you have time to build a powerful enough telescope so you could look back and see yourself leaving? :headasplode:

Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2011-09-22 16:16:27 UTC
Tethys Atreides wrote:
To the front, blinding white. To the rear, nothing.

Actually, no. You would have doppler effect so, red in the front, and nothing behind you. That assumes, of course, that light can actually intersect with your eyes at FTL speed. That would depend upon the technology used for FTL travel. If you're warping space light may not intersect your position at all. If you're traveling outside space/time, would there be light?

Don't ban me, bro!

Morganta
The Greater Goon
Clockwork Pineapple
#39 - 2011-09-22 16:43:31 UTC
KaarBaak wrote:

ahh, George's folly

A parsec is a measure of distance, not time
So anyone can complete the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs provided the kessel run is under 12 parsecs in length Pirate

Pyx Jasta
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#40 - 2011-09-22 17:02:55 UTC
Mr Kidd wrote:

Actually, no. You would have doppler effect so, red in the front, and nothing behind you. That assumes, of course, that light can actually intersect with your eyes at FTL speed. That would depend upon the technology used for FTL travel. If you're warping space light may not intersect your position at all. If you're traveling outside space/time, would there be light?

It'd be blue in front wouldn't it? You're approaching objects hence blueshift, and red behind (objects receding).