These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Star Improvements - Cosmetics

Author
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2012-03-07 06:20:15 UTC
The first thing we need to change, is that we need to give the stars varied sizes, brightness levels, and colors. Once that is done, we need to give them volumetric light, models, textures, normal-maps (to make them look like perfect spheres) and (if possible) Pixel-Perfect Occlusion (or at least make it so that they don't shine through objects). Sometimes the simple changes can be the best.

If you think there would be performance issues with volumetric light, just make it shader-based.

Also, you guys need to fix a serious bug. The stars keep blinding us because the entire screen flashes white for no reason.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2012-03-07 09:16:28 UTC
Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:
The first thing we need to change, is that we need to give the stars varied sizes, brightness levels, and colors. Once that is done, we need to give them volumetric light, models, textures, normal-maps (to make them look like perfect spheres) and (if possible) Pixel-Perfect Occlusion (or at least make it so that they don't shine through objects). Sometimes the simple changes can be the best.

If you think there would be performance issues with volumetric light, just make it shader-based.

With the graphics updates to pretty much everything else in space, the stars just look out of place. I don't want a giant glowing ethereal orb... I want a gigantic ball of nuclear fusion!

(Also I have to laugh every time I read a star's description and the age is something like 30 billion years... older than the EVE universe itself!)

Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:
Also, you guys need to fix a serious bug. The stars keep blinding us because the entire screen flashes white for no reason.

This has been a bug for as long as I've been playing (which is to say, not very long but still through several expansions). Turning off "sun is occluded by objects" eliminates this. I think the problem is mainly caused by modules effects, such as the effects from activating ECCM, tracking computer, sensor booster, etc.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)