These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

(Idea) Time to upgrade the market

Author
Herold Oldtimer
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-03-06 13:12:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Herold Oldtimer
Market changes.

1. Styled in the same way as the new neocom.
2. Easier to manage with less tabs viewable at the same time.
3. More customization to have it show what you use the most first.
4. Merge the standard marked buy window with the prize range/location window. (optional)
5. Alliance market system.

Since the release of the new neocom I have felt that the market, as it is, feels severely lacking in both looks and understandability. There is a lot of cross information being presented when you browse the marked and I feel there is a lot of room for improvement in this regard. And this may also hopefully improve on the new player experience aswell.

Now, when I say styled in the same way as the neocom I don't mean to replace the tab names with images. That would be counterproductive to the goal in mind. What I mean is to change the style and layout of the selectable menus in the same style that the new neocom is using.

What I feel is in need of this setup is the tab section. It is clunky to operate, leaves a lot of undesirable information and is, well, old. Improving on this I think will also have the biggest improvement on the new player experience. I'm not talking about merging tabs to make fewer groups either. I'm talking about a system where any submenu you select will replace the root-menu.

For instance. If you want to buy ammo and you select the ammunition tab, its submenu will then slide over the root-menu, and if you then want to buy projectile ammo, its submenu will slide over again. This leaves less clutter in the tabs section since it shows you what you want to see, and you also don't get a list that is miles long showing you everything you don't need to see at that time. There should also be two quick buttons to go back, the first one will take you one step back, the second one will take you to the root-menu.

Another thing I feel needs to be introduced to the game is a way to customize the tabs section. For example, if you are a player flying around in a Raven Navy grinding level 4 missions, the thing you will most likely be buying the most, will be cruise missiles and/or torpedoes. Instead of having to go through every sub-menu every time you need to stock up, you should be able to open the market and the first thing that is presented to you is cruise missiles and/or torpedoes.

Or if you are a creator and like to build specific things, you should be able to view what materials to buy for those items. Yes, CCP have done this somewhat by giving you the ability to drop your saved ship fits into the market. But that is only for ship fits. If you are a builder and need to find materials for certain products, you are out of luck. This I feel will not only help fighters, aka pvp'ers, but also builders. These customized tab menus can be saved in much the same manner as the ship fittings, but for the market, with also the button that will take you back to the standard root-menu.

Less clicks, less clutter, easier to manage.

The next subject is more of a grey zone, and I will leave it up to the feedback if this should be introduced or not.

That is to have both the standard market item menu, and the price range/location menu in the same window. If you are in a hurry and don't care about the prices then you can buy the item you need from the standard menu in the same way as always. But if you are more price conscious you can then click on the item in question and have a window beside the standard one show the advanced info for that item, again less clicks, since all the necessary info can be gathered in the first window.

The grey-zone here is that some players make use of the fact that new players don't always know about, or forget, to change the region setting when they buy stuff. Making a living out of others negligence is a valid way to earn money in this game and I don't want to curb that. So I ask you, should this be introduced? I feel that if it should, it should be as an optional merging in the same way that ships and items can be merged into the station overview.

Last part is taken from another topic, however since I feel it pertains to the market changes I have in mind, I have thought about it some more, and will give you an iterated version here. The post I have borrowed this from is very good, so go over there and show him some support.

So, the last part is to introduce an alliance market system. An alliance can, for a fee, be given an option to have a market specifically for their alliance. Any sell or buy orders made in that market will only be viewable by the members of that alliance. It will operate at the same way that the normal market, thus giving it more flexibility that the current contracts system. And this may also have an effect in production in null-sec alliances. Generally if it is made more flexible and less time consuming, more players will use it.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this, and please leave some feedback before you go.

Edit with pictures 7/3-12

Got a few images. The general layout that I have in mind with how it will look up till the standard cruisers for gallente. Its done in paint, probably looks horrible for art minded personsOops. Try and make more after I get back from work
Herold Oldtimer
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-03-06 18:39:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Herold Oldtimer
Is there no-one that want to give some feedback? Can I take it that this is good enough to present to the csm and CCP then. Would like to have someone elses opinion on this before I eventually do.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#3 - 2012-03-06 18:50:27 UTC
hold on there captain, it's been 5 hours....

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Herold Oldtimer
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-03-06 18:57:05 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
hold on there captain, it's been 5 hours....

Heh, was starting to get a little worried. But atleast it is getting looked atSmile

That is good
Ines Tegator
Serious Business Inc. Ltd. LLC. etc.
#5 - 2012-03-07 00:41:07 UTC
Details? No comment yet. However, updating the market UI and common sense functionality (anyone ever accidentally listed an item thinking you were selling to an order? yeah...) is a good thing.
Tidurious
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-03-07 04:45:05 UTC
Um, the new Neocom SUCKS. Not going to lie, I stopped reading after you wanted ANYTHING to be LIKE THE NEW NEOCOM.

I'd like the old neocom back, not more **** that looks terrible!
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2012-03-07 05:26:44 UTC
Tidurious wrote:
Um, the new Neocom SUCKS. Not going to lie, I stopped reading after you wanted ANYTHING to be LIKE THE NEW NEOCOM.

I would read the rest of the Original Post if I were you. I agree that the new Neocom sucks ass, but you should still not troll the entire post because he has different opinions.

Also, I have been seeing alot of Market-based and Contract-based scams recently. Maybe some Anti-Scamming measures would help, such as a 'Maximum Price' based on X percent over the Regional Average, or perhaps a Mega-Tax imposed on scammers, or even getting punished by CONCORD.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Herold Oldtimer
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-03-07 11:26:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Herold Oldtimer
Tidurious wrote:

I will try to post some images of what I have in mind. As I had said in the OP I don't want it to look like it, but styled like it. More broader selectable menus with sub-menus overlapping. I want less clutter.

Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:
Also, I have been seeing alot of Market-based and Contract-based scams recently. Maybe some Anti-Scamming measures would help, such as a 'Maximum Price' based on X percent over the Regional Average, or perhaps a Mega-Tax imposed on scammers, or even getting punished by CONCORD.

Having the [view details window] next to the simpler marked window may curb a lot of these marked based scams, and may give a safer experience for any new player. Again as I had suggested.

I'm not entiery sure how one can deal puishment out to market scammers since they prey on negligency on our part but I know that EVE will warn you if something you buy is horrendously overprized, maybe lower that warning treshold?