These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

T2 mining support frigate

Author
BuddhaMancer
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#1 - 2012-03-06 22:46:00 UTC
These would be the T2 variations of the original mining frigates : Navitas,Burst, Bantam, Tormentor
Because mining in a frigate is just silly these T2 frigates would be support for actual mining ships. They would have reduced fitting requirements for Mining foreman link so ONE can be fitted(no bonuses to link effects) and bonuses to tractor beam as well as bonuses to survey scanner.

The point of these ships would be to give miner with thin wallets a support ship since not everyone has the isk for an Orca, and for those who can afford an Orca these ships would give you something to use while your training to fly the orca.
Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#2 - 2012-03-07 00:35:11 UTC
Did you know that you can mount mining foreman links on battlecruisers?

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm Richard Bartle: Players who suit MUDs

Tidurious
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-03-07 04:46:06 UTC
And that there's a REASON that support ships come in FLEETS? Not for individual players who are poor?

Who thinks of this crap? Really...
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2012-03-07 04:59:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Amaroq Dricaldari
Calm down, people. Not everyone has the time to train for a Hulk, a BC, or an Dorcas, and I also don't know many who can somehow obtain the money for all of that stuff.

Besides, these are FRIGATES we are talking about. Faster movement, better agility, lower mass (great for wormhole ops), smaller signature, bonuses for mining, etc. You could also use them for an Economy Mining Ops, in the event you need to mine during Economy Warfare.
Also, there are already designs for Tech II Mining Frigates buried deep in the database, so they may as well perfect and then release them.

P.S.: I didn't know there was a draft system.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2012-03-07 10:30:58 UTC
Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:
Calm down, people. Not everyone has the time to train for a Hulk, a BC, or an Dorcas, and I also don't know many who can somehow obtain the money for all of that stuff.

Besides, these are FRIGATES we are talking about. Faster movement, better agility, lower mass (great for wormhole ops), smaller signature, bonuses for mining, etc. You could also use them for an Economy Mining Ops, in the event you need to mine during Economy Warfare.
Also, there are already designs for Tech II Mining Frigates buried deep in the database, so they may as well perfect and then release them.

P.S.: I didn't know there was a draft system.

Psst. It takes less than a week to train into a battlecruiser. It takes more than three weeks to train into a T2 frigate. Claiming that time is a factor is really dumb.

battlecruisers aren't exactly expensive either. 20m or therabouts for the tier one, which is all you need if you're sitting in a pos supporting a mining fleet. You can even fit mining lasers to them if you want.
Aqriue
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-03-07 11:12:41 UTC
Terrible idea. Hulks are already targeted because its easy padding for the killboard, but you don't see T2 frigs in asteroid belts being shot by destroyers cause they don't exist (unless you are stupid enough to say meet me at Belt X and then get ganked by 3 guys in your T2 frig). Making T2 mining vessels the size of a frig and cost 20 million...hell thats just screaming SHOOT ME WITH YOUR 3 MILLION ISK DESTROYER, DO ME HARD!!! OH YES! HARDER!!!

A better T2 support frig is Racial frigs designed like the Noctis using the mining frigs, with bonuses to Codebreakers, Analyzers, and Salvagers for exploration sites. Maybe give it an ample sized (in frig terms) cargo bay like 1000m3, a combat cloak ability, 1-2 tractor highs but nimble to dart about while snagging those really far wrecks and thats it....think Primae with very niche role that collects better, stores, and cloaks but thats about all it can do. No scanning bonus, no combat role.
Aethlyn
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-03-07 11:45:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Aethlyn
Basic idea doesn't sound that bad IMO. I wouldn't see it as a BC replacement (so no gang link bonuses), but as some mining/support ship? I like that idea.

Maybe something like...

Mining Support (Skill)
Requires Mining V, Astrogeology V and Science V
Improves the effectiveness of Ore Composition Scanners by 100 % per level after level 2 has been trained.

Ore Composition Scanner I (Active module; some kind of small blue laser beam?)
Requires Mining Support I
Optimal Range: 2.5 km
Falloff: 3.75 km
Fitting: turret slot
Analyzes the exact composition of targeted asteroids while they are mined, increasing the mining yield by 1 % while the scanner is active. The bonuses of multiple composition scanners are cumulative up to a total of 10 %.

Ore Composition Scanner II (Active module)
Requires Mining Support V
Optimal Range: 5 km
Falloff: 2.5 km
Fitting: turret slot
Analyzes the exact composition of targeted asteroids while they are mined, increasing the mining yield by 2 % while the scanner is active. The bonuses of multiple composition scanners are cumulative up to a total of 10 %.

Unnamed Mining Support Frigate (Repainted Echelon skin?)
Requires Mining Support I

Turret slots: 2
Missile slots: 0 [maybe 1 or 2 that are limited to a new launcher for Defender missiles only]

High slots: 4
Mid slots: 4
Low slots: 2

Mining Support Bonus:
-10 % Survey Scanner scan time and +10 % Survey Scanner range per level
+20 % Cargo Capacity per level

Role Bonus:
-50 % Capacitor Usage for ABs and MWDs
-50 % Tractor Beam Range
+100 % Tractor Beam Velocity
Ability to equip Ore Composition Scanners

Looking for more thoughts? Follow me on Twitter.

Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#8 - 2012-03-07 14:09:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Buzzy Warstl
Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:

The primary limitation on the OP is the training time for Mining Director and enough Leadership to actually be effective in the role.

Since tier 1 battlecruisers are in the same general price bracket as Tech 2 frigates, and are trainable within the second week after character creation, I figured that informing them that there was already a ship that met their stated need was appropriate.

The later post proposing a new role for a mining frigate, while I disagree with the actual proposal, is at least not a simple information request as it proposes a role not currently filled by an easy to train ship.

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm Richard Bartle: Players who suit MUDs

Wilhelm Riley
Doomheim
#9 - 2012-03-07 14:34:54 UTC
Regarding the training times for various ships, you may want to look at the latest dev blog, Rebalancing eve, one ship at a time.

Aside from that, Mining as a whole needs revamping, by adding a new ship class without looking at the rest of the industry you're just asking for more work down the line when it comes time to rebalance and fix the profession. Not to mention that adding more ways to increase yield has it's own issues.