These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The humble Bestower

First post
Author
Major Trant
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2011-09-21 14:31:53 UTC
This is not a question, just a suggestion for new players starting out (not alts of existing players). Regardless of what career path you choose, you will need to train for and fly an industrial ship early on. Typically, you will choose your basic Tier 1 racial industrial and not think anymore of it. Every race has at least one Industrial Tier 1 ship.

However, take a quick look at the stats of the Amarr Bestower. This is not the lowest Amarr Industrial (that is the Sigil) but it still only requires Amarr Industrial Ships I to fly. It is the 3rd largest Industrial Ship in the game, behind the Mammoth and the Iteron V, but the Mammoth requires Minmatar Industrial Ship IV to fly, while the Iteron V requires Gallente Industrial Ship V. Unless you intend a career in hauling or moving on to Freighters and Transports, neither is worth the considerable extra time to train into. Even if you do want to get in one of those ships, the Bestower is a worthy stepping stone, justifying the 8 or 9 hours it takes to train. Especially when you consider the main training time there is in Amarr Frigates which are prereqs for every other Amarr ship.

You can even train Amarr Frigates I/II/III and then Amarr Industrial Ships I faster than it would take you to train Caldari Industrial II/III to reach the (smaller) Badger II even if you are already in a Badger I.

The Bestower starts with 4800m3 Cargo and 4 low slots. Fill the lows with Expanded Cargohold IIs (Hull Upgrades II) and you get 13318m3, add 3 x T1 Cargo Rigs and you get 20256m3. Large enough to get a packaged Battlecruiser inside. Train Amarr Industrial Ships II to get that to 21268m3 and you can get seven Giant Secure Containers inside for a total capacity of 27568m3
Dash Niles
Stratotech Logistics
#2 - 2011-09-21 15:25:18 UTC
This was very useful to me. I'm a week into EvE so far and am looking for something that would be easy to train for that can also haul my ships and items. Thanks alot!
RaTTuS
BIG
#3 - 2011-09-21 15:41:20 UTC
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pL2_VjnQWzosfedBpxtV9Wg&output=html
is also useful

http://eveboard.com/ub/419190933-134.png http://i.imgur.com/kYLoKrM.png

CCP Spitfire
C C P
C C P Alliance
#4 - 2011-09-21 17:10:54 UTC
This suggestion (and especially the part about training industrial ships in general) gets CCP Spitfire's "What-do-you-mean-my-hauling-alt-is-45-jumps-away?!" seal of approval. Industrial ships are relatively cheap, very easy to train for and are invaluable in many situations; and Major Trant's argumentation for the humble Bestower is excellent (I wish I'd thought of that before training Badgers on all my characters...). Smile

CCP Spitfire | Marketing & Sales Team @ccp_spitfire

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#5 - 2011-09-21 17:29:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
It takes less than a day for any race to train. With default attribute mapping:

Bestower
Amarr Frigate 1 = 16m
Amarr Frigate 2 = 1h 17m
Amarr Frigate 3 = 7h 19m
Amarr Industrial 1 = 33m

Training TIme: 10h 25m (7h 52m if you are Amarrian)

Expanded Cargohold II
Hull Upgrades 1 = 16m
Hull Upgrades 2 = 1h 17m

Training Time: 1h 33m

Total Training Time: 11h 58s (9h 26m if you are Amarrian)

Cargo without rigs: 13318.98 m3
Cargo with 3x Cargohold Optimization I rigs: 20256.51 m3 (requires Astronautics Rigging 1 to install, but not to use)

At level 4, the Minmatar Mammoth is bigger. At level 5 the Iteron V is the largest, but if you are planning to train that far you should consider the other ships racial industrial 5 makes available before picking a race, as it is rather long to train: Deep Space Transports (DST), Blockade Runners (BR), freighters, jumpfreighters (JF).

I have Caldari Industrial 5 trained on five accounts, and can even pilot a Rhea jumpfreighter on 3 of those, but all of them can also pilot the humble Bestower with Amarr Industrial 1, as it is too awesome a ship and trivial to train to pass-up Big smile
Toshiro GreyHawk
#6 - 2011-09-22 12:10:51 UTC

Yeah, I'm in a corporation which has a Bestower blue print and gives them out free to everyone in the corporation.

Most people in that corporation have it trained because there's almost always one laying around any of the corporate hangars.

We usually don't invest in rigs for them. Those usually go in the Mammoths and Iteron V's as that's a fairly expensive piece of equipment and the people willing to pay for rigs have usually trained Iteron V's or Mammoth to V.

But the Bestower is easily accessible to anyone and a good, handy work horse of an industrial.

Industrials are simply to useful for everyone not to have one and the Bestower gets you the most bang for your buck if you're not headed towards getting a Mammoth or an Iteron V. Even if you are eventually going to move on to a better industrial, the easy accessibility of the Bestower makes it great for someone just starting out.

Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#7 - 2011-09-22 13:34:05 UTC
I endorse this post.

Yet my 'manly' Iteron V is still boss of all industrials P
Newz Bie
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2011-09-25 12:21:21 UTC
Its a great wee hauler, I have one myself, just don't fly it through lowsec with the fit suggested here ;)
Ender Black
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2011-09-25 15:03:14 UTC
Fantastic post. Where were you five or six years ago to keep me from trying to haul crap in my Badgers. This should be made into a newbie hauling guide thing on EVElopedia.

The Pod Goo Podcast http://www.podgoo.com

Pod Goo also publishes editorials, guest blogs, and guides for free.  Just email ender@podgoo.com your material.

Froz3nEcho Sarain
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2011-09-26 22:22:28 UTC
CCP Spitfire wrote:
This suggestion (and especially the part about training industrial ships in general) gets CCP Spitfire's "What-do-you-mean-my-hauling-alt-is-45-jumps-away?!" seal of approval. Industrial ships are relatively cheap, very easy to train for and are invaluable in many situations; and Major Trant's argumentation for the humble Bestower is excellent (I wish I'd thought of that before training Badgers on all my characters...). Smile

This was actually the reason why I subscribed to EvE so quickly after playing the trial for a few days. You can't train Amarr industrial on trial accounts even tho you will get the sigil from tutorial agents. Could you perhaps explain why this is? Because at the time I got that ships I was very excited how big it was and was shot down after I found out I couldn't fly it.

[i]~ When everything fades away, an echo is the only sound that will remain ~   ~ Chaos is a name for any order that produces confusion in our minds ~[/i]

Xearal
Dead's Prostitutes
The Initiative.
#11 - 2011-09-27 11:27:27 UTC
The reason you can't train an industrial on a trial acount is because then it would be too easy for botters to make serious money with trial accounts, which are far easier to set up than a 'real' account.

Create trial account, train up bestower, activate bot to do level 1, 2, 3, 4 courrier missions, instant money.

Now at least they have to inject a plex into the equasion to be able to bot those missions.

Personally, I DO prefer the mammoth, because it was on the route of my Prowler, which IMHO is the best covert transport.
( fastest there is, and it has a spare high slot for a launcher with defender missiles )

If you want a big industrial, the itty 5 can't be beat, however, the caldari Charon freighter has more room than the gallente Obelisk I believe. ( not really sure on this though, the reason my freighter pilot flies obelisks is because we have a BPO for them so easier for me to replace if ganked. )

Does railgun ammunition come in Hollow Point?

Mikloo Braca
Black Rock Military Industries
#12 - 2011-09-27 13:06:40 UTC
Dash Niles wrote:
This was very useful to me. I'm a week into EvE so far and am looking for something that would be easy to train for that can also haul my ships and items. Thanks alot!

I've also just started playing playing EvE and this post is pretty useful to me as well, so far I've just been using the Sigil to haul my items. Liked this post.
Dhaul
Reunincapacitated Industries
#13 - 2011-09-27 21:24:53 UTC
A bestower will suffice if you live in hisec but for anything else, having at least one character with some industrial skill trained to 5 is a requirement. Blockade runners are of critical importance to be able to fly, and the tanky transports aren't bad either, at least in lowsec or for transporting more valuable goods in hisec.
Toshiro GreyHawk
#14 - 2011-09-27 22:39:21 UTC
David Grogan
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2011-09-27 23:43:51 UTC
caldari need a badger mk III that is close to an ite 5 in cargo size

Everytime you buy something that says "made in china" you are helping the rising unemployment in your own country unless you are from china, Buy locally produced goods and help create more jobs.

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#16 - 2011-09-28 01:20:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
David Grogan wrote:
caldari need a badger mk III that is close to an ite 5 in cargo size
It is called a Bustard Blink

Though it is technically a Deep Space Transport (DST), it is decent compensation for having to suffer through tiny Badgers. A Bustard hauls 30635 m3, though I usually have it fit for less with a Damage Control II. For the cargo, it has the largest tank of all the DST (the Minmatar Mastodon is a close second).

Short story:

I scan our wormhole and notice a new signature. I warp to it, which opens it. The wormhole leads to hisec, which is rare for a C5 (about once a month). So I return to the POS, switch to my Bustard, fill it with PI goods, and warp back to the wormhole.

To my surprise, in that short time someone has already discovered the wormhole from hisec, and anchored a small warp disruptor bubble (I now always scan before warping). As soon as my Bustard hits the bubble, I start turning 180 degrees to reverse my course (quickest way out of a bubble).

Of course, now the bubble's owner in a Hurricane uncloaks at the wormhole. I have the advantage despite being slower than frozen molasses, as he can't target me immediately because of his cloak, and he has to close the gap to use his short-range autoCannons. Well, he gets a warp disruptor on me, and manages to hit me with a few volleys, but I wasn't worried because the Bustard has a lot of EHP, and like all DST has a built-in +2 warp core stabilizer. I'm guessing he thought I was in a Badger.

I wave at him as I warp away back to the safety of the POS force field with the Bustard's shield at around 75%. Bear
Dalloway Jones
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2011-09-29 01:29:25 UTC
It is also a beautiful ship. Looks a bit like a sperm whale minus the tail. :)

For those wanting a more in depth look at the basic industrial ships.

Amarr Bestower is the best for those that want something super fast. All that is neede is Amarr industrial 1.

Minmatar Mammoth is a great choice for those needing something bigger that can hold more but not wanting to invest weeks and weeks worth of training. It is available at Minmatar industrial 4.

Gallente Iteron V is for those who are serious about hauling and are willing to put in a lot of training time. It is the largest tech 1 hauler in the game but takes Gallente industrial 5 which is about 3 weeks training (give or take a week depending on your attributes).

Caldari get the short end of the stick with basic industrials. There is nothing good about the Badger or Badger II. They do however have the best freighter so Caldari industrial 5 may be worth it to some people.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#18 - 2011-10-30 18:50:49 UTC
Bumping. Every new player needs to know this whether they choose to pilot a Bestower or not.
Zelda Wei
New Horizon Trade Exchange
#19 - 2011-10-30 19:42:42 UTC

And tank it with 3 Medium Shield extenders, which will give you enough buffer to tank most suicide ganks.