These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

I want a Solo PVP ship to 'wander around' in/

Author
Alaric Faelen
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2012-03-05 17:11:09 UTC
With the recent buff, the AF's are the new king of small hull PvP, especially so for the solo artist. They are fairly well the de facto standard for solo work in fast movers.
I can fly both Amarr and Minnie T2 frigs ATM, and all four of the AF's available to me are very good. Both the Jaguar and Retribution are just like their T1 counterparts but with MOAR! The Vengeance looks like a BS with all those slots to fill!

If you want to keep costs down a bit, the T1 frigs are still viable ships for solo work. The old standby's of Rifter, Punisher, and Merlin are easier on the wallet to lose, which will happen rather often.
Faction frigates are still great, although a bit mitigated by the AF buff. I adore my Slicer.

Lastly, the Destroyer buff made them more than just salvage ships. I see a lot of lone Thrashers out and about in low sec.
Ravenesa
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#22 - 2012-03-05 17:44:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Ravenesa
Darthewok wrote:
Do yourself a big favor:
1) Join RvB (google it), where you can fight all day in cheap ships and learn something about PVP
2) Take Agony Unleashed's PVP Basics course
3) Watch Kil2s Learning Solo PVP Video in My EVE
Then try roaming low-sec/nullsec in a Drake.

^^ This. Sounder advice is rare to find in this forum. I'd even add Eve Uni to the list to get a feel for things as well, though they tend to be a lot mroe blobish. Btw BLOB:

Boat
Load
Of
Bastards!
Maroxus
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#23 - 2012-03-05 17:49:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Maroxus
McRoll wrote:

A Drake is one of the poor choices for solo PvP actually, because everyone knows what it can and what it cannot do- it's too predictable. Weaker ships simply don't engage and it can't do **** or disengage to bigger ships. Its huge tank is also a disadvantage- everybody knows how much a Drake can take a beating and they wouldn't engage you except with 2:1 or more odds. Eve just works that way.

Wasn't the popular opinion a few years ago that the drake only had passive overtank with little dps and therefor useless in pvp? Things change, and the drake might change its bonuses so newer opinions may form.
Zeb Rain
DPS-K
#24 - 2012-03-05 17:54:40 UTC
Solo PVP seems to be thriving, as does small gang. Which makes it entirely possible to "wander" in most of the ships at your disposal (Cal).
For the cheap there are kestrels and merlins which can be fit pure t1 do explode and learn in to t2'd beasts of mini death, not that either of these will last long vs a better pilot or better ship but its IS fun and the first few deaths will teach you alot. If you want to spend more ISK think of the reputable Hookbill, which also can be fitted cheaply and be effective. IF skills allow and ISK isnt a huge barrier then as most have stated its AFs all the way. They are great, can solo frigs/small frig gangs - given good circumstances and are capable of alot more as well! but now costing about 35 mill they have reached BC prices.. well, the prices BCs were a month ago :P . Beyond the Frigs are still cheap options but everyone and their mother will want to kill you if they see a Caracal on scan, and probably will be able too quite easily :D

TL,DR Get cheap frigs ang go explore. explode whiel shooting at people and see if you can survive a few seconds longer each time. When you have nailed that you may even accumulate a few kills.

GL and i hope to fight you soon

(PS i hear that Citadel/Blackrise areas see alot of cheap ship pew - there will be other areas too!)
Previous page12