These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

what race dreadnought to choose ?

Author
4-HO-MET
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-03-03 19:53:21 UTC
with the power of 2 im thinking of making another acc skilling toward capitals since the very beginning, with attributes changed.

that should take about 90-100 days

what is the coolest, most awesome and badass dreadnought ship ? tbh im not thinking about caldaring, im excluding it because of phoenix,

so its either revelation, naglfar or moros.

what are the advantages and disadvantages of all of those dreadnoughts ? their weapon types ? damage dealt ? speed etc.

i want to pvp with it
4-HO-MET
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-03-03 20:11:29 UTC
ive read so far naglfar is best with 2 types of weapons for solo pvp
artilery with missiles when they cant track.
plus fast
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#3 - 2012-03-03 20:30:04 UTC
Trying to solo-PvP in a dread is saying "Hey everyone, here's a free KM, please kill me". If you don't know this already, then you shouldn't even be considering training for a cap. There's a lot to know about cap ships before you even think about getting in one.

As to which one though, the Rev has lasers (so no reloading ammo ever) which makes it great and the Moros has the highest DPS of the dreads, which is another good thing. The Nag, however, has split weapons systems, which isn't good; and the Phoenix is a shield tank, which also doesn't do well in the largely-armor fleets that you see for cap ships.

Seriously though, if you don't know better than to think you can solo-PvP in a dread, you should just give the plan up and go learn more about cap ships in general.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#4 - 2012-03-03 20:45:06 UTC
mxzf wrote:
Trying to solo-PvP in a dread is saying "Hey everyone, here's a free KM, please kill me". If you don't know this already, then you shouldn't even be considering training for a cap. There's a lot to know about cap ships before you even think about getting in one.

As to which one though, the Rev has lasers (so no reloading ammo ever) which makes it great and the Moros has the highest DPS of the dreads, which is another good thing. The Nag, however, has split weapons systems, which isn't good; and the Phoenix is a shield tank, which also doesn't do well in the largely-armor fleets that you see for cap ships.

Seriously though, if you don't know better than to think you can solo-PvP in a dread, you should just give the plan up and go learn more about cap ships in general.

+1

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

4-HO-MET
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-03-03 20:48:32 UTC
ok then not solo pvp but small, maybe large pvp
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#6 - 2012-03-03 21:06:02 UTC
4-HO-MET wrote:
ok then not solo pvp but large pvp

Fixed that for you. And in that case, then look at the rest of my post. Revelation for simplicity or Moros for raw DPS.
Ottersmacker
Genos Occidere
HYDRA RELOADED
#7 - 2012-03-03 21:07:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Ottersmacker
the guy isn't asking about effectiveness. he's asking about what eve should be about.

Quote:
what is the coolest, most awesome and badass dreadnought ship ?

n
a
g
l
f
a
r

i just locked an open door.. strange, yet symbolically compelling.

gfldex
#8 - 2012-03-03 21:35:16 UTC
Dammit! I think my troll detector just broke. It's beeping like mad.

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

4-HO-MET
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-03-03 21:57:35 UTC
gius im srs why shouldnt i do that. this game is boring whitout epeen ships. i want capital dread at least. should be then fun enough to pay for cuz srsly it gets me rly bored.
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-03-03 22:39:37 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
4-HO-MET wrote:
gius im srs why shouldnt i do that. this game is boring whitout epeen ships. i want capital dread at least. should be then fun enough to pay for cuz srsly it gets me rly bored.

When you fly one, please let us know and let us know which character you use. I bet you will end up with a lot of persons on your ass just to kill the ship.

From what I read you just want a dreadnought just because it's a large ship. Not because you know how to use them and why you should have one.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#11 - 2012-03-03 23:08:10 UTC
4-HO-MET wrote:

Ok, nevermind my previous advice then. Go for it and have fun in your dread.
Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#12 - 2012-03-03 23:10:22 UTC
cause epeen ships paint a target on your head

having an epeen ship doesnt help much when it stays docked all the time or dies in less then a week of you getting it

and what are you using it for? PVP? against other ships? you do know that un-sieged a dread does barely as much DPS as a battleship and sieged it has such bad tracking that it cant hit anything that's moving more then 5m/s

The only thing dreads are good for these days are for VERY long range engagements where you have someone in a huginn to paint and web them now slow enough fro you to hit them or to take down POSes

Also note that you need a cyno to move anywhere cause capitals cannot use jump gates.

If you want an epeen ship get a faction battleship, capitals are useless on their own in most cases.

The Drake is a Lie

J'Poll
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-03-03 23:16:47 UTC
Lol, looked at OP history, he is 3 months old. Bet he can't even properly use a BC. Let alone a capital.

Smells like a bad WoW player trying to foil the EVE player database.

*waves hand* This is not the MMO you're looking for

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#14 - 2012-03-03 23:31:33 UTC
If EVE is boring you're doing it wrong

Non-condescending version: If you find that what you're doing in EVE is boring then that isn't the thing for you, try something else. It's kinda the point of the sandbox. Try exploration or something, maybe get into a wormhole corp.

The Drake is a Lie

J'Poll
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-03-03 23:41:33 UTC
Xercodo wrote:
If EVE is boring you're doing it wrong

Non-condescending version: If you find that what you're doing in EVE is boring then that isn't the thing for you, try something else. It's kinda the point of the sandbox. Try exploration or something, maybe get into a wormhole corp.

This + if you think that being a dreadnought pilot means you won't be bored, good luck. Like posted before, dreads are only good at shooting big and slow things (aka other capitals and structures) both are boring to shoot at (structures) or rather hard to do in smaller groups as you will end up with large fleet on your head. (other capitals)

4-HO-MET
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#16 - 2012-03-03 23:48:01 UTC
i am a WoW player, but why bad :<
J'Poll
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-03-03 23:59:52 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
4-HO-MET wrote:
i am a WoW player, but why bad :<

That's not bad.

The only bad thing is that most WoW players play EVE Online the way they play WoW.

This will only end in 1 way: really bad.

EVE is in all ways different from any other MMO on the market, and should be played in a way no other MMO is played.

First thing about EVE that is different, there is no end-game-I-win ship. Most people comming from other MMO's think that bigger is better and that (taking your post in account) Dreadnoughts are the best ship to fly around.

This is not true in many many ways, 1 main thing is that every ship has it's roles in which it is best used. And also each ship has his disadvantages and weaknesses. So bigger isn't better, dreadnoughts can be killed by frigates, while the really really have a hard time to hit frigates.

And people in general comming from any other MMO, usually WoW as it's the biggest, comming to the forum with post like you will let loose the trolling parts in most EVE players. As all they read are: I'm new to EVE and think it acts like any other MMO I've ever played where the biggest most expensive ship wins. How do I quickly get into that ship and rule the universe.

Also stating you can train a dreadnought in 90 - 100 days means you have no clue about what you're are talking about (sorry if it sounds offending). As it takes a lot longer to be a capable dreadnought pilot. 90 days means you can sit in the dreadnought, maybe even can fit it with T1 stuff (but I doubt it) but you will lack all the necessary support skills, bare skills doesn't mean you can fly a ship.

Grikath
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#18 - 2012-03-04 00:20:36 UTC
^^^^ this^^^^

There is a BIG difference between being able to undock a ship, and flying it proficiently and effectively.

Dreads are role-specific, and like all things in EVE, the more specific they are, the more they suck at all other things.

Highsec isn't "Safe".  Neither is it a playground for bullies and bottomfeeders. So stop complaining and start playing the game already.

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#19 - 2012-03-04 01:48:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
mxzf wrote:

The Phoenix is a great structure & POS basher, or other sieged dreads, but is useless at anything else because citadel missiles can't really hit anything sub-capital or even slightly moving super-cap.

Shield tank doesn't really matter in a dread, because it will be sieged and unable to be repped, and if it is attacked it will die. Dreads don't really tank. If it isn't sieged, then a battleship does more damage.

The Moros does the most damage, and the Revelation lives the longest. The Nagflar has a spit weapon system.

I'd rate: Revelation > Moros > Nagflar >> Phoenix
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#20 - 2012-03-04 02:38:01 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
mxzf wrote:

The Phoenix is a great structure & POS basher, but is useless at anything else because citadel missiles can't really hit anything sub-capital or even slightly moving.

Shield tank doesn't really matter in a dread, because it will be sieged and unable to be repped, and if it is attacked it will die. Dreads don't really tank. If it isn't sieged, then a battleship does more damage.

The Moros does the most damage, and the Archon lives the longest. The Nagflar has a spit weapon system.

I'd rate: Archon > Moros > Nagflar >> Phoenix

Hmm, I'm not really sure you can compare a carrier (Archon) to the rest of the dreads Blink

Other than that though, I agree with you, good points.
12Next page