These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Scam?

First post
Author
at0myx Gaterau
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-03-03 05:48:29 UTC
Hello, I'm new to Eve and just finished the tutorials when some random player out of the blue decides he wants to chat and then sends me 1M ISK. He says he wants me to join his lowsec pvp corp and I could use the isk to buy a good enough ship to join him immediately for pvp. If not, I could just leave and do whatever I want with the money. Is this for real? I want to believe it's a scam but it's hard to argue with free money.
Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#2 - 2012-03-03 05:56:04 UTC
Try going with him with something cheap like a rifter (provided you have no implants)

If you get blown up by him then just leave and you'll probably still have profited.

The Drake is a Lie

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#3 - 2012-03-03 08:24:13 UTC
If he just sent you free ISK, then that part atleast is not a scam. He might be trying to trick you into going to lowsec ... or he could just be working on recruiting. Handing out 1M ISK (nothing at all for an experienced player) and inviting newbies to blow stuff up in lowsec sounds like a pretty decent recruitment strategy. Just don't take anything that you mind losing into lowsec (this is true regardless of if someone invited you or not).
Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#4 - 2012-03-03 08:51:22 UTC
mxzf wrote:
If he just sent you free ISK, then that part atleast is not a scam. He might be trying to trick you into going to lowsec ... or he could just be working on recruiting. Handing out 1M ISK (nothing at all for an experienced player) and inviting newbies to blow stuff up in lowsec sounds like a pretty decent recruitment strategy. Just don't take anything that you mind losing into lowsec (this is true regardless of if someone invited you or not).

Then again 1 mil ISK is a small price for what someone more experienced might see as an easy free way to pad his killboard.... it might be wise to check this corps´ homepage/killboard at least.

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#5 - 2012-03-03 08:52:42 UTC
Just do it... but do it in a cheapo combat ship (i.e. something with a Microwarpdrive, Warp Disruptor, and weapons).

Worst case scenario is that he kills you for giggles... in which case, you are out a cheapo ship.
Best case scenario is that you gain a mentor who is willing to "train" you to be above the general rabble of the game.
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#6 - 2012-03-03 14:51:14 UTC
This gives me a new idea for Rifterlings recruitment...

Oh and OP, what the others above said.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

at0myx Gaterau
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-03-03 15:33:51 UTC  |  Edited by: at0myx Gaterau
Ok. Thanks for the help. I realized it's not a lot of ISK after getting half a million in just career tutorials my first night. He was recruiting for

Frickin' Velociraptors

Is it possible to have a career in research/invention as a noob and be in a PVP corp too?
Kilrayn
Caldari Provisions
#8 - 2012-03-03 15:47:54 UTC
at0myx Gaterau wrote:
Ok. Thanks for the help. I realized it's not a lot of ISK after getting half a million in just career tutorials my first night. He was recruiting for

Frickin' Velociraptors

Is it possible to have a career in research/invention as a noob and be in a PVP corp too?

Only if that pvp corp is fine with you not having combat skills, which isn't very likely. Early on trying to 'generalize' will just leave you with a char that can do many things poorly rather than do one thing well.

Or you could consider looking for a Null sec alliance with a manufacturing corp, but then you wouldn't be doing much pvp, just building for those that DO pvp.

"Music is a mysterious thing. Sometimes it makes people remember things they do not expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten... Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember or not." - Citan Uzuki, Xenogears

at0myx Gaterau
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-03-04 03:33:31 UTC
Kilrayn wrote:
at0myx Gaterau wrote:

Frickin' Velociraptors

Only if that pvp corp is fine with you not having combat skills, which isn't very likely. Early on trying to 'generalize' will just leave you with a char that can do many things poorly rather than do one thing well.

Or you could consider looking for a Null sec alliance with a manufacturing corp, but then you wouldn't be doing much pvp, just building for those that DO pvp.

Ok. Appreciate the advice.
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#10 - 2012-03-04 12:02:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Lady Spank
EDITED: There may be more to this than I thought. Investigating before I call them out.

Sounds dodgy though and the corp description suggests they dont normally recruit noobs.

Also 1m really isn't very much even for a basic ship.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Liam Mirren
#11 - 2012-03-04 12:11:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Liam Mirren
While true in general this doesn't seem to be the case here, quick glance at their API fed KB shows there's no in-corp losses so unless they just started their "lol lets recruit idiots and kill them" one can assume that they're actually taking on newbies to pewpew with.

Sneaky edit Spank, damnit!

Excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude.

Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#12 - 2012-03-04 12:17:37 UTC
Yeah changed for that exact reason.

Anyway. After perusing some of their lossmails I can only recommend that you do not join. They will only teach you how to fit your ships really really badly and kill easy prey while dying to anything remotely competent.

In general its a bad idea to just jump on board with corps that blind recruit in local. Especially in starter systems (noob starter systems).

The plus side of this is:

1. You are wary enough to do some research, this will help you greatly.
2. You seem willing to be involved in PVP as well as other areas of the game.

Good luck!

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

at0myx Gaterau
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-03-04 22:14:40 UTC
I decided last night for sure not to join them. Great to know that I made a good decision! Big smile

I may finish up all the career tutorials for the money and rewards, then try to find a R&D corp. Or join a PVP corp as support/ewar or something. Coming from games like WoW and Rift, I still need to get used to this game but I love the depth of it.
Liam Mirren
#14 - 2012-03-04 23:11:30 UTC
From the sound of it you'll do fine.

Excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude.

Ogi Talvanen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-03-05 12:29:48 UTC
So worst case scenario is for you to loose your rifter if you go and best scenario is to have fun in a player corp in low sec? And you decide not to go? Esp funny how ::elitepvp:: recommends its best to stay in npc corp and not try to welp gloriously.
Utsen Dari
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2012-03-05 18:00:02 UTC
As a rookie you are unlikely to be specifically targeted for a scam, since you have nothing to steal that would make it worth a scammer's time.

The exception would be if you are selling a lot of PLEX to generate huge amounts of isk right off the bat; flying around in a ship that's obviously much more than you should be able to afford with the income stream of a rookie is bascially sending up a big "mess with me" flag.
ColumnaLcis
Pretzel Logic.
#17 - 2012-03-06 10:38:14 UTC
at0myx, finding the right corp is critical to the fun factor no matter what you do. So take your time and research them well.
Good luck

CCP Phantom
C C P
C C P Alliance
#18 - 2012-03-07 14:05:02 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Phantom
Hello at0myx Gaterau,

It is part of the thrill in EVE that you often don't know if an offer is good, bad, bears potential or is a hidden scam.

I have experienced that it might help to weight the risks and the chances. What would you risk (after pocketing this 1 mil) joining them? What would you gain by joining them? What would you miss by not joining?

You can always join this corp and leave soon after if you don't like it there. Or you can go for some established training corp like EVE University.

In the end you will encounter more offers in your EVE career where you just don't know if you should go for it or not. This is a part of the fascination in EVE. No script, no grand quest will ever reach that level of sophistication.

You can take the risky step ... or you can play it safe.

You decide!

CCP Phantom - Senior Community Developer

at0myx Gaterau
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2012-03-08 05:09:55 UTC
Pretty nice that they have training/education corps! Ultimately I decided not to join because I wanted to do R&D. So I'll probably find a corp that does that. Maybe I'll create a new character for pvp eventually when I get more used to the game. Big smile