These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

I'm a Particle Astrophysicist, ask me anything

Author
So Sensational
Ventures
#261 - 2012-02-28 23:43:22 UTC
Do you believe in God and if not what do you think your science and your theory of evolution will do for you when you burn for all eternity in the pits of hell?
Tsadkiel
Outfit 418
#262 - 2012-02-29 06:12:33 UTC
So Sensational wrote:
Do you believe in God and if not what do you think your science and your theory of evolution will do for you when you burn for all eternity in the pits of hell?


again, obvious troll is obvious, but as i have yet to answer these questions (unlike the previous troll) i will oblige you.

I do not believe in god, which is not the same as saying "i believe there is no god". it means i have yet to be provided with sufficient evidence to convince me. i consider myself to be an anti-theist, which means that i am personally against the unfounded belief in any kind of deity (and especially any deity wrapped in religion and doctrine). i personally find such baseless belief to be abhorrent to what it means for us to be human: free willed free thinkers.

when i die, IF there is an afterlife and IF it follows your rules (as opposed to anyone else's) and IF i go to hell for just being who i am, then i will gladly become the right hand of the devil and work to utterly destroy the likes of you and your god. science and evolution (really?...) will have nothing to do with it.

as a final note. i would like for this thread to stay on topic and not be locked for turning into a religious flame war. as such, this is the last and only post of this nature i will respond to. i request that everyone who wishes to continue the threads original discussion do the same.
So Sensational
Ventures
#263 - 2012-02-29 13:33:00 UTC
Tsadkiel wrote:
So Sensational wrote:
Do you believe in God and if not what do you think your science and your theory of evolution will do for you when you burn for all eternity in the pits of hell?


again, obvious troll is obvious, but as i have yet to answer these questions (unlike the previous troll) i will oblige you.

I do not believe in god, which is not the same as saying "i believe there is no god". it means i have yet to be provided with sufficient evidence to convince me. i consider myself to be an anti-theist, which means that i am personally against the unfounded belief in any kind of deity (and especially any deity wrapped in religion and doctrine). i personally find such baseless belief to be abhorrent to what it means for us to be human: free willed free thinkers.

when i die, IF there is an afterlife and IF it follows your rules (as opposed to anyone else's) and IF i go to hell for just being who i am, then i will gladly become the right hand of the devil and work to utterly destroy the likes of you and your god. science and evolution (really?...) will have nothing to do with it.

as a final note. i would like for this thread to stay on topic and not be locked for turning into a religious flame war. as such, this is the last and only post of this nature i will respond to. i request that everyone who wishes to continue the threads original discussion do the same.

I was hoping for some science on how you'd build a flame resistant suit or something similar, disappoint.

p.s. I like your thread.
Tsadkiel
Outfit 418
#264 - 2012-02-29 14:37:12 UTC
So Sensational wrote:
Tsadkiel wrote:
So Sensational wrote:
Do you believe in God and if not what do you think your science and your theory of evolution will do for you when you burn for all eternity in the pits of hell?


again, obvious troll is obvious, but as i have yet to answer these questions (unlike the previous troll) i will oblige you.

I do not believe in god, which is not the same as saying "i believe there is no god". it means i have yet to be provided with sufficient evidence to convince me. i consider myself to be an anti-theist, which means that i am personally against the unfounded belief in any kind of deity (and especially any deity wrapped in religion and doctrine). i personally find such baseless belief to be abhorrent to what it means for us to be human: free willed free thinkers.

when i die, IF there is an afterlife and IF it follows your rules (as opposed to anyone else's) and IF i go to hell for just being who i am, then i will gladly become the right hand of the devil and work to utterly destroy the likes of you and your god. science and evolution (really?...) will have nothing to do with it.

as a final note. i would like for this thread to stay on topic and not be locked for turning into a religious flame war. as such, this is the last and only post of this nature i will respond to. i request that everyone who wishes to continue the threads original discussion do the same.

I was hoping for some science on how you'd build a flame resistant suit or something similar, disappoint.

p.s. I like your thread.


D'oH! the internet really REALLY needs a sarcasm font XD sorry about that. i totally took your post seriously . i dunno though, flame retardant suit? it would probably have to be weaved from human souls and use the still beating hearts of the damned as a power supply. i wonder what the heat capacity of a human soul is.... hmmmmmmmm =D
Alpheias
The Khaleph
#265 - 2012-02-29 19:52:22 UTC
Tsadkiel wrote:


D'oH! the internet really REALLY needs a sarcasm font XD sorry about that. i totally took your post seriously . i dunno though, flame retardant suit? it would probably have to be weaved from human souls and use the still beating hearts of the damned as a power supply. i wonder what the heat capacity of a human soul is.... hmmmmmmmm =D


If you believe in something as nonsensical as souls, I am disappoint.

But to answer your question, when you have solved the mathematical question of eternity, you will also figured out the heat capacity of the human soul as you supposedly spend in a eternity down there.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#266 - 2012-02-29 20:48:48 UTC
Well with evolution, it would only take time for humans or souls to adapt to hell and rise above it. It only took Jesus 3 days to evolve enough to leave hell. Satan just stays there cause he likes it, he has evolved enough to leave a long time ago, but is staying for sentimental reasons.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Tsadkiel
Outfit 418
#267 - 2012-02-29 22:31:01 UTC
Alpheias wrote:
Tsadkiel wrote:


D'oH! the internet really REALLY needs a sarcasm font XD sorry about that. i totally took your post seriously . i dunno though, flame retardant suit? it would probably have to be weaved from human souls and use the still beating hearts of the damned as a power supply. i wonder what the heat capacity of a human soul is.... hmmmmmmmm =D


If you believe in something as nonsensical as souls, I am disappoint.

But to answer your question, when you have solved the mathematical question of eternity, you will also figured out the heat capacity of the human soul as you supposedly spend in a eternity down there.


i thought i applied sarcasm pretty thick there XD

on the topic of souls though (i don't believe in souls) this raises interesting some questions. all of our observations seem to indicate the the communication of information is directly linked with energy exchange (which is partly why most physicists are ok with entanglement effects occurring at FTL speeds). the encoding of information in space also appears to be a process with interesting entropic consequences. a lot of these points would be answered with a physical application of information theory, but to my knowledge this has not yet been done.
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#268 - 2012-03-01 00:01:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Amaroq Dricaldari
I have a VERY complex theory about the universe. I actually based it on TRON, to be honest. The Universe is an ultra-powerful Quantum Computer, combining Digital and Analogue, Electromechanical and Chemical, Spintronics, all of that good stuff. And the theory of universe expansion can best be described as multiple computers beign mass-manufactuered and connecting to a giant network, not unlike our internet.

Wormholes and Subspace and all of that stuff would be the circuit boards and wires and the internet and the like, where as normal space would be the Chemical-Computer part, and matter would just be data traveling through it. You know how suppossedly gets destroyed in Black Holes? That's easy, the data is getting trapped in something similiar to a Windows Recycle Bin, and thus getting Deleted.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Selinate
#269 - 2012-03-01 04:21:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Selinate
Explain to me the reason for resonance peaks for neutron cross sections with relation to neutron energy with different elements. I want maths. I'll definitely understand it, but I have a hard time finding this kind of information in my books or anywhere on the web.
Alpheias
The Khaleph
#270 - 2012-03-01 07:46:25 UTC
Tsadkiel wrote:
Alpheias wrote:
Tsadkiel wrote:


D'oH! the internet really REALLY needs a sarcasm font XD sorry about that. i totally took your post seriously . i dunno though, flame retardant suit? it would probably have to be weaved from human souls and use the still beating hearts of the damned as a power supply. i wonder what the heat capacity of a human soul is.... hmmmmmmmm =D


If you believe in something as nonsensical as souls, I am disappoint.

But to answer your question, when you have solved the mathematical question of eternity, you will also figured out the heat capacity of the human soul as you supposedly spend in a eternity down there.


i thought i applied sarcasm pretty thick there XD

on the topic of souls though (i don't believe in souls) this raises interesting some questions. all of our observations seem to indicate the the communication of information is directly linked with energy exchange (which is partly why most physicists are ok with entanglement effects occurring at FTL speeds). the encoding of information in space also appears to be a process with interesting entropic consequences. a lot of these points would be answered with a physical application of information theory, but to my knowledge this has not yet been done.


I didn't go for sarcasm. I went with bait AND HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES?Twisted

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#271 - 2012-03-01 08:15:05 UTC
^ Matt Damon will be in hell, That is a very good line to use.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#272 - 2012-03-01 09:15:31 UTC
Ok, I have a question. er, questions.

(not reading all these pages so sorry if its been asked)

I'm on a doomed vessel traveling into a black hole.
OR
I'm on a planet that is about to be pulled into a black hole.
OR
pretty much anything where i fly screaming and cursing into a black hole.....


How is this going to work out for me? Of course I'm about to die, but do I actually feel myself getting ripped apart? Does time slow down and it takes an eternity for me to die the most painful possible death? how long could the perception of my death be? do i just get squished pretty fast before the real crazy stuff starts? Does physics just break down and my brain isn't capable of functioning to a degree that I'd be cognizant ?

separate points of order

could we all be falling into a black hole right now and not even know it? could the entire universe actually exist inside of a black hole? what is a black hole outside of a super-dense mass that 'dents' space/time? why is it a singularity can seem like such a simple concept but be so impossibly complex? can they really be gateways to other places, dimensions, realities or hell with an eye-less Sam Neill?

some people were telling me the entire universe is actually 2 dimensional, we just happen to experience a 3d projected effect of it. what the hell is that all about? does this have anything to do with black holes?

thank you in advance for your answers, these are important and pressing questions that we all should be more informed on. Especially considering our most assured and imminent horrible screaming apocalypse death at the hands of a rogue black hole.
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#273 - 2012-03-02 01:10:21 UTC
What is it with you and Blackholes?

I want you to name and describe every part of a Blackhole, and to do so in order of center-to-edge.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#274 - 2012-03-02 04:17:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Nova Fox
Hmm how far can a weaponized laser go in space? Something to burn though heat dissipating ceramics.

And for sake of battle envrionment within influence of sol system.

And for constraint a crewed spaceship the size of a eve battlecruiser ( or star treck ship but meh)

and would this said laser with same power output but closer focus be any more powerful (ie causes things to explode instead of cutting) if the target was astronomically much closer?

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

0oO0oOoOo0o
Caldari State
#275 - 2012-03-02 07:13:34 UTC
Tsadkiel wrote:
0oO0oOoOo0o wrote:
How would telekinesis work from a particle scientist's point of view ?


telekinesis would be something we refer to as a force demonstrating "action at a distance", like magnetic repulsion or attraction. in truth, all forces demonstrate, at a fundamental level, action at a distance. in the language of particle physics (the standard model) we would say that the momentum imparted on the object is transmitted by a "force carrier" particle (a photon, gluon, w or z boson, or a graviton). so, if you were telekinetic, and if you follow the standard model, you are transmitting and receiving virtual radiation to and from the object you are moving in the form of these particles.

imagine you and a friend are standing on a very smooth ice rink. you take out a baseball and toss it to your friend, who catches it. when you throw the ball, you also start sliding away from your friend. this is conservation of momentum. when your friend catches it, they start sliding away as well for the same reason. assuming we can think of the ice rink as frictionless, the more you toss the ball back and forth, the faster and faster you will slide apart. you're accelerating in small, discreet quantities every time you catch or throw the ball.

the fundamental mathematics of the "force carrier" particles are the same, but they also allow for attractive effects (that there is some way the ball could be thrown such that you both slide closer to each other).


sounds interesting, thanks Big smile
Tsadkiel
Outfit 418
#276 - 2012-03-02 16:29:06 UTC
holy crap! i look away for a day an i get all these sweet questions! i'll start working on answers now. i haven't forgotten =D
Tsadkiel
Outfit 418
#277 - 2012-03-02 17:45:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Tsadkiel
Nova Fox wrote:
Hmm how far can a weaponized laser go in space? Something to burn though heat dissipating ceramics.

And for sake of battle envrionment within influence of sol system.

And for constraint a crewed spaceship the size of a eve battlecruiser ( or star treck ship but meh)

and would this said laser with same power output but closer focus be any more powerful (ie causes things to explode instead of cutting) if the target was astronomically much closer?


there is a lot of speculation that goes into a question like this, but i think first it is important to clarify that a laser in a vacuum could travel "indefinitely" if it never interacts with matter. the real question would be how far can a laser travel before it has spread out so much that it is no longer useful. your average laser pointer spreads out quite a bit even over every day distances (i tried this with my laser pointer in the main hallway of the engineering building here (several hundred feet) and it spread out to a circle an inch or so across). this limit is in part determined by the material being fired upon; specifically the power required to ablate (vaporize) it. because of the nature of radiation, the closer the target is to the source the more damage will be done, unlike projectile weaponry

many lasers used in the physical sciences are Class IV, which means that they can cause serious damage to skin and its scattered light can even blind those who look at it. i used a Class IV Nd/YAG (neodymium-doped yttrium aluminium garnet) laser to produce catalyst coated substrates when i was doing research on carbon nanotubes my sophmore year. the safety manual (which i was quizzed on before i was even allowed near the thing) had first hand accounts from people who got hit in the eye with this class of laser. it ablated the retina and boiled the vitreous fluid of their eyes within a single pulse, causing the eyeball to explode outwards just form the pressure built up by the newly formed gas...

the Central Laser Facility in the UK is working on a laser that can achieve pulsed energy densities strong enough create particles of matter in a similar fashion as the LHC (this is done by literally tearing apart the local space-time, but it's not as bad as it sounds). when it is complete it will be the most powerful laser in the world. their current focus is on laser initiated fusion, known as Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF). one of the forerunners in laser-induced ICF was the OMEGA project at the Laboratory for Laser Energetics in Brighton New York (I had an uncle who worked there once), but this was eventually overshadowed by the National Ignition Facility (NIF) in California. to my knowledge, the NIF is the current record holder for worlds most powerful laser boasting a power output of ~500 Terrawatts (the laser dumps four million Joules of energy on the fusion target in a time span of only a few billionths of a second). the laser being built at the Central Laser Facility will exceed the NIF by orders of magnitude.

i guess the short answer to your question is that i don't know without more information, but LASERS ARE COOL!! =D
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#278 - 2012-03-02 19:04:10 UTC
If you are tearing the fabric of the universe, then you would destroy the universe. Haven't you seen any episode of StarGate Atlantis where they try to create Zero Point Energy?

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#279 - 2012-03-02 19:16:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Nova Fox
Bleh trying to argue against a trekkie who proclaims some pertty stupdendous stupid ranges for lasers which you are right a laser in vacuume would should be indefinite.
Good luck finding that in space though more and more evidence says that space is pertty much crammed with stuff (as far as the universe is concerned and its quite dense with radiation gravitaitonal influence particles and mass.

Best place to start looking I say is beyond the edge of the universe next best spots that giant gap between galaxies.

I am more inclinded to belive the missile ranges over the 'phaser' ranges. The devices in question dont seem large enough or the ship produces enough power to procure such redicioulous distances. Swimming though the internet to of various bloggers the best conclusion they came up with is that to get a similar distance star trek uses would require an 8km long ship and thats without a turret system.

But thats science fiction meeting science somethings got to give.

None the less thank you for the reads


here is one for you, not space based but a weaponized laser none the less http://www.onr.navy.mil/Media-Center/Fact-Sheets/Free-Electron-Laser.aspx

another special bonus the built for production railgun here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uV1SbEuzFU&feature=youtu.be looks a hell lot more deployable than previous iterations.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

EnslaverOfMinmatar
You gonna get aped
#280 - 2012-03-03 05:30:08 UTC
What acceleration are we subjected to while sitting in the chair? Are the following factors relevant? Earth gravity, rotation of Earth around the sun, solar system rotation or movement around the center/whatever of our galaxy..... add things that you think are relevant too.

Every EVE player must read this http://www.eveonline.com/background/potw/default.asp?cid=29-01-07