These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE mobile

Author
Zeus C
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-02-29 18:04:16 UTC
Hi CCP

We are professionals. We travel often. We carry our business laptops and our personal tablets.

I find difficult to accept that in the year 2012, with quad core cpu powered netbooks and computer tablets, there is no solution for a mobile version of EVE - a game that runs on low end rigs and even under linux with its sub par driver support.

This is not a whine post but rather a motivational one.

Let me know what I can do to the end of assisting the development of a mobile EVE version and I will deliver.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#2 - 2012-02-29 18:26:55 UTC
The problem is that branching out to different OSes means that it's FAR more work for the devs to keep everything working smoothly together. They seem to have enough issues keeping Eve on one OS bug-free, much less multiple ones, much less vastly different hardware (such as tablets).
Zeus C
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-02-29 18:30:19 UTC
Wine has been pretty decent for our linux friends.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#4 - 2012-02-29 19:24:40 UTC
to my knowledge the crux of the issue is more the graphics capabilities of these devices, rather than the ability to hack them in order to make the client work somewhere it's not necessarily "intended" or officially supported (see: wine, as noted).

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#5 - 2012-02-29 20:00:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Petrus Blackshell
Zeus C wrote:
Wine has been pretty decent for our linux friends.

There is no "wine" for Android or iOS, and conventional coding languages and libraries don't work for app coding on those. Android requires applications to be written in Java, and iOS requires Objective-C. Eve is written in a combination of C++ and Stackless Python, and heavily uses the DirectX API for graphics, which is not available on either Android or iOS. Not to mention, much of the tech underpinnings of Eve (e.g. Carbon) are also incompatible for the same reasons.

To bring Eve to mobile, CCP would have to code the client from scratch using a different language, different platform, different libraries, different specs, all while making the code even more optimized so it runs on mobile devices -- and that is without even mentioning the battery-**** that Eve would be for your phone/tablet.

Why do you think no other 3D games have both desktop and mobile versions?

I die a little bit inside every time someone goes on about how Eve should be available on mobile.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Velicitia
XS Tech
#6 - 2012-02-29 20:25:45 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
[(stuff)

wait! I found it! we all have eve on our phones already!! Shocked

Quick Office Spreadsheets! Lol

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#7 - 2012-02-29 20:41:19 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
[(stuff)

wait! I found it! we all have eve on our phones already!! Shocked

Quick Office Spreadsheets! Lol

I'm a big enough man to admit when I'm wrong. BRB while I install internet spreadsheets on my phone.

Zeus C
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-02-29 21:30:37 UTC
The OSX version of the client doesn't use wine but other wrappers like crossover.

The point I'm trying to make is that with the processing power available to tables, CCP should be looking in ways of making EVE available there. If not for flying around and pvp'ing, at least users should have access to things like skill queues, market orders and so forth.

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#9 - 2012-02-29 22:46:13 UTC
Zeus C wrote:
The OSX version of the client doesn't use wine but other wrappers like crossover.

The point I'm trying to make is that with the processing power available to tables, CCP should be looking in ways of making EVE available there. If not for flying around and pvp'ing, at least users should have access to things like skill queues, market orders and so forth.

If they wanted to do that they would have done it via EVE Gate. They apparently value people logging in to the actual game, so they didn't.

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#10 - 2012-02-29 23:21:24 UTC
they dont need to re write sh&t... just make eve gate a mobile app and add the ability to change skills on it... if they added buy and sell orders to it... then presto all you need in a mobile version of eve...

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#11 - 2012-02-29 23:26:05 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
they dont need to re write sh&t... just make eve gate a mobile app and add the ability to change skills on it... if they added buy and sell orders to it... then presto all you need in a mobile version of eve...

Petrus Blackshell wrote:

If they wanted to do that they would have done it via EVE Gate. They apparently value people logging in to the actual game, so they didn't.

I will rephrase:

Websites are the easiest way to do text-based stuff like that, not an app. Clearly CCP wants you to actually log on to the Eve client to change your skills, as they did not include that sort of functionality in EVE Gate.

There is no way to do anything concrete (that actually makes a change in the game world) in the Eve universe without the game client. Communication (Eve mail, voice, and calendar) is the only thing you can do, and that was already possible using out-of-game tools.

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#12 - 2012-03-01 01:08:49 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
MeBiatch wrote:

Petrus Blackshell wrote:

I will rephrase:

Websites are the easiest way to do text-based stuff like that, not an app. Clearly CCP wants you to actually log on to the Eve client to change your skills, as they did not include that sort of functionality in EVE Gate.

There is no way to do anything concrete (that actually makes a change in the game world) in the Eve universe without the game client. Communication (Eve mail, voice, and calendar) is the only thing you can do, and that was already possible using out-of-game tools.

right so how does the ps3 communicate with EVE? if a ps3 can do it so should an app..

plus why would CCP give a crap if i log in or not... i dont log in now and they are happy to take my money so what gives...

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#13 - 2012-03-01 01:18:53 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
right so how does the ps3 communicate with EVE? if a ps3 can do it so should an app..

plus why would CCP give a crap if i log in or not... i dont log in now and they are happy to take my money so what gives...

DUST 514 is a completely new app. I am not saying that phones wouldn't be able to communicate with Eve, but rather that the CCP developers would have to write everything from scratch to create any sort of app for the phone, using libraries that do not exist on the PC. They didn't even have to start from scratch with DUST, as they were working on top of the Unreal Engine code that already exists.

CCP cares if you log in for the Big Number(tm): active player count. If you actually log in just to change a skill, you are more likely to actually stick around and do something, which contributes to the MMO experience for all players. Even just popping in and out of local does that.

Plus, presumably everyone who has a phone and plays Eve also has an Eve-capable computer. When you consider hiring mobile developers (which CCP doesn't have), the mobile app would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars -- an investment that is simply not justified by people who temporarily don't have access to an Eve-capable computer (but they have phone access), or people too lazy to log in.

Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2012-03-01 08:07:22 UTC
It is all Apps these days. Whatever happened to programs? App just sounds stupid to me. There is no need to abbreviate "application", the word program was fine the way it is.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

Back on topic:

At least being able to manage my skillqueue with a tablet or smartphone would be a godsend. I looked everywhere and still can't find Aura, which most likely wouldn't even run on a Kindle Fire, which is what I use atm because I don't have an actual tablet. Have you ever tried typing on this thing? It is a pain in the ass!

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Zedrah
#15 - 2012-03-01 10:02:29 UTC
Zeus C wrote:

Which is just wine with some tweaks and fancy bits bolted on.

Zeus C wrote:
Let me know what I can do to the end of assisting the development of a mobile EVE version and I will deliver.

As for what you can do to get it going, probably large piles of cash.
Zanzil C
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2012-03-10 11:18:02 UTC
The new iPad features a A5X chipset which is 4X faster than Tegra 3.

If not for normal gameplay, CCP should at least make the EvE client available for industry/market on iOS on iPad 3rd gen.

The sooner CCP realizes that less and less people actually spend time sat in front of their pcs and macs compared to the time they spend on their couches with their mobile tablets, the better.

This is 2012 people, wake up and smell the change!
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2012-03-10 21:01:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Amaroq Dricaldari
But you can get an Android Tablet or Smartphone for a way cheaper price than an iPad, plus most of them these have innovations such as being able to swipe your finger across the screen to type, and last time I checked the iPad isn't able to connect another display.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Zanzil C
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#18 - 2012-03-11 06:16:10 UTC
Maybe - I am not limiting myself to either platforms.

All I'm saying is that with the processing power available on tablets nowadays, EVE should be made available on these mobile platforms.