These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Skill Queue/Cert Planner Upgrade-Skills in queue used to search soon to be usable modules.

Author
Kayou Aldeshaar
PhoenixFire Industry Ascendant
Warped Intentions
#1 - 2012-03-01 05:24:15 UTC
I have an idea that I think would make a lot of people happy, and make it easier for people to figure out what skills to train. This builds off of the Cert Planner and takes it to a whole new level.

When you have skills in the Queue, there should be a button or window that shows you what will be unlocked as far as ships/upgrades/equipment when the skills finish training. It shouldn't be too hard, just have it do a query vs requirements search based upon what skills are in the queue.

So if you're training Hull Upgrades V, it searches for all things requiring that skill, then does a secondary search of the skills that are required against what you have already.

I imagine that having a feature like that could take some power to work, so you could make it a charge feature as well, where it charges a certain amount of ISK for each search, and if you search using a queue with multiple skills lined up, it charges that amount per search. That would prevent abusing it and costing CPU cycles on the servers.

Or you could make it a library search with a library on the client side, so it doesn't take anything from your servers to play. Then it could be a search string along the lines of "need only" for the skill, to show what items have just that skill remaining to be usable.

My thoughts behind it are making it easier for newer players to see exactly what they're going to be able to use when a skill finishes, that way they can be certain of what they're training to get where they want, without having to ask GM's or other players. Plus veteran players will be able to use the feature as well when they're looking to finish skills for certain items.

Another part of it was this: Say you want to use a certain module. You can click on it, and if you have all of the skills for it, just not to level, it can queue them up for you, or alert you as to which skills you need to buy.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2012-03-01 07:22:39 UTC
Get EVEMon.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#3 - 2012-03-01 07:35:09 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Get EVEMon.

TBH, this.

There's a reason that one of the first things a vet will tell a newbie about is to install EVEMon, it's just that handy. There really isn't a reason for CCP to try to replicate the functionality in-game, since EVEMon already does the job quite well (and then a lot more besides that).
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2012-03-01 07:41:21 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Get EVEMon.

We know what EVEMon is.

Based on what I have read, this idea doesn't replace EVEMon, it doesn't tell you everything, and it has some additional functionality by telling you not just the requirements for certain items and what you'll be able to use, but also the recommended skills for specific items. In addition, this idea doesn't require API info, would be built-in to EVE, and would automatically know about your character beforehand. It isn't an EVEMon ripoff or replacement, and everyone would instantly have access to the tool.

TL:DR This is not related to EVEMon, and you made a post that is both slightly off-topic as well as rude.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#5 - 2012-03-01 08:05:35 UTC
Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Get EVEMon.

We know what EVEMon is.

Based on what I have read, this idea doesn't replace EVEMon, it doesn't tell you everything, and it has some additional functionality by telling you not just the requirements for certain items and what you'll be able to use, but also the recommended skills for specific items. In addition, this idea doesn't require API info, would be built-in to EVE, and would automatically know about your character beforehand. It isn't an EVEMon ripoff or replacement, and everyone would instantly have access to the tool.

TL:DR This is not related to EVEMon, and you made a post that is both slightly off-topic as well as rude.

Actually, it's very related to EVEMon. The only thing that the OP mentioned that EVEMon doesn't already do better is train the skills for you and show up in the Eve window (both of which aren't really much of a limitation). Yes, EVEMon does require an API, which takes a grand total of about 5 min to set up and then you're good for forever; it's not that hard.

tl;dr: This is completely related to EVEMon since EVEMon already does it better than this suggestion, and then some.
Anshio Tamark
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6 - 2012-03-01 13:01:32 UTC
Kayou Aldeshaar wrote:
Another part of it was this: Say you want to use a certain module. You can click on it, and if you have all of the skills for it, just not to level, it can queue them up for you, or alert you as to which skills you need to buy.

I'm sorry... Have you seen that pretty little red cross next to the skills you don't have? What you want, we already have in the game. And the Skill-planning thing can be done a lot easier on CCP's part by you downloading EVEMon or EVE-HQ.

Thank you for wasting less than 5 minutes of my life.
Kayou Aldeshaar
PhoenixFire Industry Ascendant
Warped Intentions
#7 - 2012-03-02 02:10:52 UTC
Anshio Tamark wrote:

I'm sorry... Have you seen that pretty little red cross next to the skills you don't have? What you want, we already have in the game. And the Skill-planning thing can be done a lot easier on CCP's part by you downloading EVEMon or EVE-HQ.

Thank you for wasting less than 5 minutes of my life.

If you're going to post hatred and vitriol like this, don't even bother posting, as it wastes the time of people looking for DISCUSSION about the suggested feature.

If you don't like it, that's fine, no skin off of my back. Not everyone will like it. But please don't waste my time and the time of others by spamming the thread with useless rants.

As for those saying get Evemon, while I am sure that is a great tool, there are people like me that don't want to run outside programs to get the information we want. I just want to see a bit more functionality in the Skills/Cert area that will help with game play, and keep it in the game, instead of sending people to another program, or websites.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#8 - 2012-03-02 02:44:54 UTC
Kayou Aldeshaar wrote:
As for those saying get Evemon, while I am sure that is a great tool, there are people like me that don't want to run outside programs to get the information we want. I just want to see a bit more functionality in the Skills/Cert area that will help with game play, and keep it in the game, instead of sending people to another program, or websites.

But your reasoning for wanting to add more development work for CCP to do is that you choose not to use the tools already out there. Can you see the issue with that? Adding stuff to the game that's already out there (albeit in a third-party program), at the expense of development time spent on other aspects of the game, due to you not wanting to use the existing tools is somewhat selfish.

Also, what Anshio posted was sarcasm and being blunt about there being existing options, not hatred or vitriol. There's a LOT of sarcasm on the forums, it's best to simply get used to it. Sarcasm can't hurt you (unless you let your feelings get hurt by it I suppose).
Misanthra
Alternative Enterprises
#9 - 2012-03-02 03:33:48 UTC
I will support the op in saying there should be no need for evemon. Mainly because an even better tool exists....eft.

Make your goal fit, look next to your name (after you import latests api pull ofc) and if you are lacking any skill or level to run that fit, it tells you. You could have a several month training plan right there in no time flat. I do to run caps and a widow. And this saves time over evemon....your fit is set and saved. Evemon that stuff first you are still hitting eft later anyway....as you need to see how the cpu and pg like it. And eft will even let you change the state to see effect. Why did I not train AWU 5 for the longest time? All my ships at 5 in eft and I still needed pg mods and rigs.

OP this stuff is in game. its the prerequisite tab. Not sure how you play eve....but here is how I did it when I first started and still do today. I pick a single goal. It could be a ship....or a mod. I read its prequisites and go from there. If a skill is useful beyond the basics level...then decide if its worth it to train more. Fit your ship one step at a time. In time it all comes together.

Or pick a better example. Hull upgrade 5 regardless of stuff it unlocks is a must have even for shield tank imo. When the shield tank dies the extra little bit of armour ehp could get you out of a bad spot. I have limped home smoking...but I didn't blow up. Only because that little bit o armour soaked up enough damage to not pop the hull all the way. Armour tank this isa no brainer.....its your damn baseline armour ehp.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2012-03-02 08:35:31 UTC
Misanthra wrote:
I will support the op in saying there should be no need for evemon. Mainly because an even better tool exists....eft.

Make your goal fit, look next to your name (after you import latests api pull ofc) and if you are lacking any skill or level to run that fit, it tells you. You could have a several month training plan right there in no time flat. I do to run caps and a widow. And this saves time over evemon....your fit is set and saved. Evemon that stuff first you are still hitting eft later anyway....as you need to see how the cpu and pg like it. And eft will even let you change the state to see effect. Why did I not train AWU 5 for the longest time? All my ships at 5 in eft and I still needed pg mods and rigs.

They're two completely different programs. One is a fitting tool and the other one is a character management tool.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Velicitia
XS Tech
#11 - 2012-03-02 13:49:32 UTC
speaking of EVEMon and stuff...

[fake rant]
so I KNEW I had a skill ending last night ... and well, didn't add something new ... and it's CCP's fault and the queue needs to be looked at and I want my wasted time reimbursed
[/rant]

(for those of you too dense to get it ... i ****** up, and I'll deal with missing a few hours of SP)

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia