These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Ideas for new modules

First post
Author
GeeShizzle MacCloud
#661 - 2012-02-25 11:25:16 UTC  |  Edited by: GeeShizzle MacCloud
i was with you right to the end...lol!

one of the cornerstone thoughts was that the larger more powerful modules would be more effective on a target than the smaller mods with possibly the exception of propulsion and bonused modules being used on the appropriate t2 ships.
Prop jammers would have a turret tracking attribute so although the mods strength could be overwhelming... a well fit and well piloted ceptor would still be effective and hard to nail down by a large ship.
GeeShizzle MacCloud
#662 - 2012-02-25 13:05:35 UTC  |  Edited by: GeeShizzle MacCloud
failed click on quote rather than edit without realising!

*facepalm!*
CaleAdaire
Deep Core Mining Inc.
#663 - 2012-02-26 05:48:07 UTC
New Rig Idea
Hull & Armor Rigging
Hardened Fastenings.

The module securing fastenings and power/computer conduits are reinforced allowing them to handle increased loads and and information, this innovation, adapted from T3 cruisers, allows ships to overheat mods with reduced damage.

Modules take 12% less heat damage, and stacking penalties apply
has enough drawback that you can only apply two rigs to any ship. (this prevents T3's from getting half overall over heat damage.)

Trust in God, Have Faith in Fusion.

Balor Haliquin
White Wolf Dragoons
#664 - 2012-02-27 19:11:35 UTC
Here are some ideas sorry for repeats.

Tier 2 Capital Weapons:
Most of the capital weapons on the market are good for both capital fights and engaging sub capitals. The next tier of guns should really be for capital fights only. Heavy guns that have such poor tracking and massive signature resolution that they can only hit the largest and slowest targets but whose alpha is such that they are key for that role. These guns are hard to put on any ship. They should be so fitting intensive that Titans have to sacrifice their tank or go under gunned to use them. These guns are for cap on cap fights and hard target bashing.
Suggested names:
Mega Tachyon Beam Laser
Mega Tachyon Pulse Laser
Heavy Citadel Torpedo Launcher
Heavy Citadel Cruise Missile Launcher
Neutron Siege Blaster
1500mm Rail Gun
Triple 4250mm Siege Artillery
Quad 3000mm Repeating Artillery

Named Capital Weapons:
The capital guns need to be flushed out as far as named guns are concerned. The bonuses for using bigger guns can be having a good bonus in only one area and sacrificing another area stat wise. For example having a good range but having bad tracking. This gives the pilot a really good chance at optimizing the ship for a specific style of combat.

Jump Drive Controller/Jump Drive Fuel Manager/Jump Drive Capacitor Controller
Navigation rigs that increase a capital ships range, reduce fuel cost, and reduce minimum capacitor need of the jump drive respectively. Each rig adds its benifit at the cost of hull hp.

AMS systems:
Anti Missile Systems can come in 3 forms; laser, blaster, autocannon. they act like defender missiles but are unique modules. Laser AMS uses cap and needs no ammo and has the best range, but it has the lowest damage. Blaster MAS have the best damage, able to wipe out whole stacks of missiles. But it is very very short ranged. AC-AMS has average range and a great rate of fire, but burns through its ammo very fast.

More ideas to come I'm sure
Nalha Saldana
The Vomit Comets
#665 - 2012-02-28 13:28:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Nalha Saldana
Damage Amplification Module
Gives a bonus to the damage of turrets and missiles while making its rate of fire slower to hit harder with each attack.

Damage Modifier 2x
Rate of fire bonus -50%

Should have stacking penalty with itself but not with gyrostab/heat sink/mag stab/ballistic control
Fits in a mid slot
Aquila Draco
#666 - 2012-02-28 17:45:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Aquila Draco
"Over-boost Defense Module" or "Emergency Defense Module"
Boosts shield resistance to 99,9% for 20 secs while overheating itself.
After usage its destroyed by overheating.

Fits in mid slot.
Aquila Draco
#667 - 2012-02-28 17:58:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Aquila Draco
Something for miners:

"Bubble shield generator"
Project POS-like shield in 10km radius around the ship.
Ships in side of the bubble can't be targeted.
Ships in side of the bubble can only target non-ship objects that are outside of it (ore roids, cans,...)
Only ship that generate it can be targeted.
HP of the shield and resists of it is up to you (if any).

Fits in high slot.

Restrictions: Can be only fitted on ORE capital ships (Orca and Rorqual)
OCHOYTNIK
Perkone
Caldari State
#668 - 2012-02-28 21:57:19 UTC  |  Edited by: OCHOYTNIK
Hello Everyone I have a stupid idea.

My idea is this: Chase drones/probes.

So you are sitting on a gate/station/star whatever and the red flashy guy turns up, he's too fast for you and your interceptors just miss him. He's gone! Except your chase drone damn near insta-locked him and is on his tail. Now it's following him, in warp, like a big space chasy thing. It's reporting back it's position on directional and on the system and star maps.

Target jumped out of system? chase drone follows him through the gate. It's only got a certain amount of cap though and a couple of warps across Oipo will drain it completely.

Details of stupid idea:

-single use utility high slot drone(converted probe launcher) or 25m3 drone. Launched during gate camp orbiting your ship.
-limited cap, modified by yet another drone skill or an underused profession skill like hacking or something.
-model is a drone orbiting the target ship.
- targets anything red and flashy(can set targetting behavior in drone control window) on the overview and goes after the first one that warps away (up to max targets locked)
-does no damage, just reports back to the user until it dies
- can be warped to by the player controlling it so the chased player has to keep moving.

Countermeasures:
-out run it, it can be out run by the fastest warping ships if a ship is off grid to the chase probe then it loses the target and shuts down.
-send in a decoy guy you don't care about in a shuttle
-shoot it, agression mechanics apply.
-FLY THROUGH THE SUN! (I really want the sun to actually do something in this game, it's a million mile wide ball of fire for gods sake.)

I always think that one of the most awesome parts of the game is when you are in warp with someone else imagine getting through a gatecamp and realising that you are being CHASED BY A DRONE!

OK you are all now free to question my sexuality and punch me in the virtual face for being a moron.
Rawls Canardly
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#669 - 2012-02-28 22:53:52 UTC
Probably been mentioned, but reading 30-something pages of arguing is pointless.
Drone Control Array
High slot module, Reqs similar to a medium hybrid turret. Adds 5 m3 drone bandwidth. T2 version gets 7.5 m3, and faction (Fed navy ofc) gets 7.5 with reduced requirements.

BEFORE YOU SCREAM: This system would occupy a high slot, robbing a boat of one turret/launcher. the tradeoff would be painful. Also, not even a myrmidon would not be able to field more than 4 large drones. (falls short by 5m3 with all 6 highs full, which would gimp your dps anyway.)

Honestly the myrm needs another 15 bandwidth and a utility high slot anyway, but that's not what this thread is for.
OCHOYTNIK
Perkone
Caldari State
#670 - 2012-02-28 23:46:27 UTC  |  Edited by: OCHOYTNIK
Another absolutely horrible idea…

You have a set of scripts running on your ship, accessed through the fitting window. Your offensive modules have a script with a version number or age attached to them. You have to update your scripts on your ship or you will fall behind, just as you have to update your antivirus on your PC now you have to update your anti ECM scripts.

I know that you LOVE updating your antivirus.Big smile

Script updates would be manufactured from hacking sites, algorithms could be bolted together from snippets of adaptive code found using hacking.

An AI with an up to date script would be less affected by hostile ECM and targeted modules. Hacking corps could snip algorithms from sleeper/Jove sites or run long invention jobs on existing scripts in order to improve their AI over and above the enemy’s.

The hacking profession would be a bit more fun as there would be a constant dribble of improvement if you are actively involved in it. You could strike the next major breakthrough and get a script drop six months in advance of what’s out there now. Corp theft, spying and the odd ganked hauler would ensure that a script doesn’t stay private for long.

You would never quite know what you were facing...

A lagging version of the AI would be seeded to stations as the standard version, no cost to the average player. This “continuously improved” version would represent that empire’s baseline research, some months the Amarr would be ahead in some aspect, some months the Caldari but never by much. With a little effort the average pod pilot would be able to pull ahead of the curve.

Corps/alliances with the most advanced scripts would have an advantage over others but they would need to distribute the scripts to others and those scripts could be intercepted in transit.

Undocking with a two year old AI script would be basically the same as undocking with your pants around your ankles.
Basically, if you don’t adapt, you die.
OCHOYTNIK
Perkone
Caldari State
#671 - 2012-02-29 00:19:30 UTC  |  Edited by: OCHOYTNIK
Last terrible idea for today (or perhaps ever depending on how much virtual dung gets thrown at me)

I used to love Elite. If you are too young to remember, Elite was EVE online crammed into 32K of memory. Despite the fact that you can get desktop icons larger than 32K now Elite managed to have nearly everything that EVE has but as a single player game. It was awesome and it came on a cassette tape.

But I am supposed to be talking about modules, Elite had a module that EVE doesn’t have.

The fuel scoop!

You would fly to the sun and then have to balance your heat damage from the sun with the amount of fuel that you are grabbing from it. You’d then use the fuel to jump between systems (I know we have stargates but you don’t have to use the scooped material for fuel in EVE).

Thermal damage to modules from proximity to the sun should be a thing. It is a star, you are right next to it, YOU SHOULD HEAT UP. You should get something for being such a rugged risk taker.

You could have an industrial ship with a fuel scoop that mines the gases from the sun just by being there scooping like a boss. Those gases could be ejected as a defence with a pollution charge from Concord (OK I am getting tired). Your industrial ship could then create an area of effect around itself on purpose. If your ship goes boom when full of fuel then you turn the gate or undock into a miasma of despair for all involved with Damage Over Time until the spill is cleaned up or dissipates.

The gases should be somehow useful as well, you figure it out, I'm tired. Maybe you could sell them to power PI or POS's or vehicles for those DUST mites running around on the planet's surface...

OK, there’s an idea in there somewhere. I’ll say POS fuel because my brain wants me too, not sure why.

Now I need to go lie down.
BulletMagnetMan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#672 - 2012-02-29 00:44:22 UTC  |  Edited by: BulletMagnetMan
I'm sure this has already been mentioned but trawling through 36+ pages is not my idea of fun.

Module: Implant Extractor / Implant Extractor Tech2 / Faction versions

Basically it means you can loot a corpse of potential implants. You will need to have either the salvaging skill or a new Implant Extractor skill to allow for a better chance of implant extraction.

The more advanced the implant, the harder it is to extract it, with more chances of failure if your skills are too low. So someone with base skills trying to extract a Crystal implant would fail and destroy the implant. Cry

This could be fitted to a high slot, or to a medium to make it more difficult for broad usage.

The Tech2 version would obviously add bonuses to the chance of implant retrieval and if faction versions were created then they would have some other effects or bonuses.

I would suggest that ships such as the Noctis would provide a bonus as with their salvaging bonus.


Alternatively, we could have the ability to attempt to remove implants from corpses at the Medical Facilities. The same skills-based bonus/penalties would apply - if you don't have the skills, you'll probably break them.


Perhaps even creating some temporary implants from the extraction if someone has extracted it, but not done a good job of it. This might impair the implants performance or give it a limited lifespan.

"Unstable Cybernetic Subprocessor - Improved". This processor's performance has been drastically reduced because of the extraction process. It is not advisable to install it as it may have a limited effect or cause neural damage.
BulletMagnetMan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#673 - 2012-02-29 00:54:09 UTC
OCHOYTNIK wrote:
Hello Everyone I have a stupid idea.

My idea is this: Chase drones/probes.

So you are sitting on a gate/station/star whatever and the red flashy guy turns up, he's too fast for you and your interceptors just miss him. He's gone! Except your chase drone damn near insta-locked him and is on his tail. Now it's following him, in warp, like a big space chasy thing. It's reporting back it's position on directional and on the system and star maps.

Target jumped out of system? chase drone follows him through the gate. It's only got a certain amount of cap though and a couple of warps across Oipo will drain it completely.

Details of stupid idea:

-single use utility high slot drone(converted probe launcher) or 25m3 drone. Launched during gate camp orbiting your ship.
-limited cap, modified by yet another drone skill or an underused profession skill like hacking or something.
-model is a drone orbiting the target ship.
- targets anything red and flashy(can set targetting behavior in drone control window) on the overview and goes after the first one that warps away (up to max targets locked)
-does no damage, just reports back to the user until it dies
- can be warped to by the player controlling it so the chased player has to keep moving.

Countermeasures:
-out run it, it can be out run by the fastest warping ships if a ship is off grid to the chase probe then it loses the target and shuts down.
-send in a decoy guy you don't care about in a shuttle
-shoot it, agression mechanics apply.
-FLY THROUGH THE SUN! (I really want the sun to actually do something in this game, it's a million mile wide ball of fire for gods sake.)

I always think that one of the most awesome parts of the game is when you are in warp with someone else imagine getting through a gatecamp and realising that you are being CHASED BY A DRONE!

OK you are all now free to question my sexuality and punch me in the virtual face for being a moron.


That's actually not a bad idea. Obviously Carriers have the ability to make their Fighters follow a target once it has been assigned. But having some sort of covert drone that can do the same would be good.

I would suggest the drones distance would be dependant upon the Drone Navigation skill, with a maximum of say, 6 jumps. If the target stays in the same system then it could go until it's cap runs out or until it recharges to chase them again.

Certainly trying to scan down a ship or pod in a system is always frustrating and usually a fruitless exercise. Once they see the probes zeroing in, they warp somewhere else. It's pretty difficult to catch someone.
Rawls Canardly
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#674 - 2012-02-29 03:27:51 UTC
Another thing I'd love to see is faction armor plates giving a racial resist bonus (not much, perhaps 10% to whatever resist they tend to be best tanked against).
Elanor Vega
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#675 - 2012-02-29 13:14:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Elanor Vega
I think i have great idea for new module:
"Targeting alerter" or something like that for name
Negates the effects of Passive Targeter systems and allow you to see every time if/when you are targeted.

Fits in mid slot.
Jacob Holland
Weyland-Vulcan Industries
#676 - 2012-02-29 17:32:16 UTC
Dry-Dock Freight Container:

Applying some of the rules from station containers to shipping containers – Station containers can hold assembled ships (but are obviously too large to be shipped from place to place). A shipping container large enough to limit its use to freighters (and therefore prevent deployment in belts as a mining container for example) and with rules and capacity to contain an assembled Battleship allows the movement of (particularly) rigged ships which will not fit inside an Orca more efficiently than flying it, shuttling back…etc.

External Size: 450,000m3 (Allowing two to be carried in any max skilled freighter, although in the case of the Fenrir, only just).
Internal Size: 500,000m3 (A minimal level of expansion, suitable for almost all BS (see below)).

My current thinking is to keep the packaged size small, perhaps ten or twenty thousand cubic meters, partially to allow the containers to be moved by standard haulers and also allowing a freighter to carry packaged containers without significantly impairing its normal operation.

A note on container capacity:
The size chosen creates slightly more than a 10% expansion which shouldn’t ruffle too many feathers.
There is an issue however... The Machariel is about 20% larger than the “average” battleship and will not fit within this type of container. While GSCs allow a 30% expansion they cannot be used in freighters. While there is no danger of allowing packaged capitals into Empire using this method there is still a certain reluctance to increase Freighter cargo capacity more than is absolutely necessary.

Finally, the rules for these containers would have to be considered quite carefully to prevent freighters loading up on fully expanded haulers full of containers (further increasing their expansion). The right choices of ships could, after all, significantly increase the capacity of the freighter if used in this manner - easiest would be to apply the rules for Ship Maint Arrays, meaning that only ammunition could be carried in the holds of ships inside the containers (though that's a large amount of ammunition none the less) but I wouldn't want to prevent a Fenrir from moving two battleships at once simply because they each have a can of cap boosters in the hold so the container rules would have to be carefully considered.
Jacob Holland
Weyland-Vulcan Industries
#677 - 2012-02-29 17:35:36 UTC
Nalha Saldana wrote:
Damage Amplification Module
Gives a bonus to the damage of turrets and missiles while making its rate of fire slower to hit harder with each attack.

Damage Modifier 2x
Rate of fire bonus -50%

Should have stacking penalty with itself but not with gyrostab/heat sink/mag stab/ballistic control
Fits in a mid slot


Why is my only thought of a 1400 Maelstrom with a full rack of these in the mids and a full rack of gyros in the lows...? volley to melt entire planets...
Lord Meriak
State Naval Academy
#678 - 2012-02-29 18:27:54 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
heavy tractor beam, can pull ships.

reuses current bouncing mechanics (lol) by taking ship mas and engine power into account (you have to maneuver accordingly otherwise you pull yourself to the other object)

resistance is futile



I like this idea it would help with station games also aggression count down on gates pull them away..
Kitt JT
True North.
#679 - 2012-02-29 21:47:18 UTC
I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but portable "system cyno jammers" maybe on a new class of ship? maybe on a hictor?

the other thing i've always thought would be interesting is something like a "drone control disruptor"

basically, like another kind of electronic warfare (although i always imagined it in a high slot) that disrupts a target ship's ability to control its drones.

it would basically do the same thing as an ecm module, but it causes a ship's drones to return and orbit.
maybe a jamming chance based on the ship's drone bandwidth?

ofc, it would have to be able to affect supers as well...
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#680 - 2012-03-01 00:06:57 UTC
OCHOYTNIK wrote:
Another absolutely horrible idea…

You have a set of scripts running on your ship, accessed through the fitting window. Your offensive modules have a script with a version number or age attached to them. You have to update your scripts on your ship or you will fall behind, just as you have to update your antivirus on your PC now you have to update your anti ECM scripts.

I know that you LOVE updating your antivirus.Big smile

Script updates would be manufactured from hacking sites, algorithms could be bolted together from snippets of adaptive code found using hacking.

An AI with an up to date script would be less affected by hostile ECM and targeted modules. Hacking corps could snip algorithms from sleeper/Jove sites or run long invention jobs on existing scripts in order to improve their AI over and above the enemy’s.

The hacking profession would be a bit more fun as there would be a constant dribble of improvement if you are actively involved in it. You could strike the next major breakthrough and get a script drop six months in advance of what’s out there now. Corp theft, spying and the odd ganked hauler would ensure that a script doesn’t stay private for long.

You would never quite know what you were facing...

A lagging version of the AI would be seeded to stations as the standard version, no cost to the average player. This “continuously improved” version would represent that empire’s baseline research, some months the Amarr would be ahead in some aspect, some months the Caldari but never by much. With a little effort the average pod pilot would be able to pull ahead of the curve.

Corps/alliances with the most advanced scripts would have an advantage over others but they would need to distribute the scripts to others and those scripts could be intercepted in transit.

Undocking with a two year old AI script would be basically the same as undocking with your pants around your ankles.
Basically, if you don’t adapt, you die.

Scripts doesn't sound like a Terrible Idea. I read about 1/3 or maybe 1/2 of your post, and even then I already validated the idea as not being terrible. Don't be so hard on yourself, man! I admit, it would still have to go through CCP, and they would still have to make some changes, but maybe Newer Scripts and Older Scripts could have advantages and disadvantages over eachother and could be updated and exchanged whenever, and there could also be Third Party scripts that you could put in your modules.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.