These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Petition to restore old names and stop the renaming process - SIGN HERE.

First post
Author
Soma Khan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#41 - 2012-02-29 20:55:19 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
Looks like your petition is blowing up in your face Grey Stormshadow. lol

Going to block you. Your spreadsheet rage is out of control. Bye.

too bad stoopid don't get you banned on eve-o
Darth Gustav
Sith Interstellar Tech Harvesting
#42 - 2012-02-29 20:58:44 UTC
Soma Khan wrote:
Marlona Sky wrote:

too bad stoopid don't get you banned on eve-o

Not really, no. These forums would lack much entertainment value without the stupid.

He who trolls trolls best when he who is trolled trolls the troller. -Darth Gustav's Axiom

Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#43 - 2012-02-29 21:36:20 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:

Should I cry now?-)

I would love to continue this conversation, but as you have blocked me and that would be kind of a waste, I rather leave that to some other time. I'm sure you have some alts who are willing to come get some love :)

If you haven't realized by now that being popular isn't really my thing of interest. I just care about things getting done in a way which makes sense and has justifications without taking short cuts from where the fence is lowest.

There has been unlimited amount of threads where better solution has been introduced afterwards to things what CCP stuffed to tranq. This will be just another one of those and noobs will remain as confused they were before the naming changes. Only real difference is that plenty of people got plenty of extra work and stuff to study again.

IE. If you can't search all meta 4 items from certain group the problem is in names, not in the search engine. What would you say if I came to your home and renamed all your family members to noobXXX where XXX is 001-010. I would do this because that way I could learn their names easier and use search engine to get all family member names with search term "noob0??".

How hard it is really to add right click option to item for "show all variations in compare tool" or add more advanced search tools to search engine, not to mention any of the alternative improvements mentioned in original post.

Just leave the names alone.

Get classic forum style - custom videos to captains quarters screen

Play with the best - die like the rest

Jalmari Huitsikko
Avanto
Hole Control
#44 - 2012-02-29 21:38:41 UTC
Tippia wrote:
stupid stuff

And you're idiot.

Old names were way much better than new ones. Get real.

Vaal Erit
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#45 - 2012-02-29 21:44:25 UTC
If CCP even thinks about touching the name of my PWNAGE modules, there will be hell to pay.
Kattshiro
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#46 - 2012-02-29 21:44:35 UTC
ZOMG!!! CHANGE! AND NOT EVEN GAMEPLAY CHANGE!! THE WORST KIND!

I support this move. Especially with the implants.
Darth Gustav
#47 - 2012-02-29 21:45:23 UTC
Grey Stormshadow wrote:
Should I cry now?-)

Yes, please do.

Grey Stormshadow wrote:
I would love to continue this conversation, but as you have blocked me and that would be kind of a waste, I rather leave that to some other time. I'm sure you have some alts who are willing to come get some love :)

But then you posted anyway, demonstrating your incredible impulse control in the face of your own cold, hard "logic."

Grey Stormshadow wrote:
If you haven't realized by now that being popular isn't really my thing of interest. I just care about things getting done in a way which makes sense and has justifications without taking short cuts from where the fence is lowest.

There has been unlimited amount of threads where better solution has been introduced afterwards to things what CCP stuffed to tranq. This will be just another one of those and noobs will remain as confused they were before the naming changes. Only real difference is that plenty of people got plenty of extra work and stuff to study again.

IE. If you can't search all meta 4 items from certain group the problem is in names, not in the search engine. What would you say if I came to your home and renamed all your family members to noobXXX where XXX is 001-010. I would do this because that way I could learn their names easier and use search engine to get all family member names with search term "noob0??".

Wrong. There haven't been unlimited threads, this is hyperbole. CCP is constantly growing their software. Sometimes the changes are under the hood, and sometimes they're meant to address PEBKAC, such as your case.

Grey Stormshadow wrote:
How hard it is really to add right click option to item for "show all variations in compare tool" or add more advanced search tools to search engine, not to mention any of the alternative improvements mentioned in original post.

Just leave the names alone.

Well go ahead and code your own epic Space Sandbox MMORPG then! Let me know when it comes out, I can't wait!

Will it have tears?

He who trolls trolls best when he who is trolled trolls the troller. -Darth Gustav's Axiom

Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2012-02-29 21:46:54 UTC
Well this thread seems to be going well...

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2012-02-29 21:48:17 UTC
Darth your trolling is constantly so sad that I don't even bother to comment any more than this :)

Vetrox Satria
Star Nation
Goonswarm Federation
#50 - 2012-02-29 21:48:34 UTC
@ OP

You need medical help as you have turned senile already.

If you want to be 1337 player then just continue calling the items by their old names. That way when players are all like "What are you going on about" you can tell them "back when i played eve all the items had loads of different names that didnt make any sense to anyone"
Darth Gustav
#51 - 2012-02-29 21:50:36 UTC
Grey Stormshadow wrote:
Darth your trolling is constantly so sad that I don't even bother to comment any more than this :)

He who trolls trolls best when he who is trolled trolls the troller.
-Darth Gustav's Axiom

Vetrox Satria
Star Nation
Goonswarm Federation
#52 - 2012-02-29 21:57:16 UTC
Darth Gustav wrote:

He who trolls, trolls best when he who is trolled, trolls the troller.
-Darth Gustav's Axiom

You just got trolled by the grammer police
Darth Gustav
#53 - 2012-02-29 21:58:45 UTC
Vetrox Satria wrote:
Darth Gustav wrote:

He who trolls, trolls best when he who is trolled, trolls the troller.
-Darth Gustav's Axiom

You just got trolled by the grammer police

Citations or it didn't happen.

Serene Repose
#54 - 2012-02-29 21:58:58 UTC
I love people who start petitions. They're almost as quaint as people who start chainletters. What gets me are the sense of urgency (indispensible for a petition - the sky is falling) and the erudite (bordering on pedantic) dissertation outlining the copious knowledge and bottomless understanding the petitioner possesses which justifies the petition's mere existence. It's so very dramatic.

Nevermind that 99.999999% of all petitions are usually someones expression of their own sense of self-importance. That's not important! What's important are the glee and ardor with which they pursue futile endeavors. It's so charming, one could almost mistake it for "speaking truth to power," one of my favorite myths!

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#55 - 2012-02-29 21:59:31 UTC
Vertisce Soritenshi wrote:

Yea... just the normal troll train derailing what they can.

It is called preventive damage control to gain justification for something which has failed before implementation already.
Damage control module II's come out after the actual patch when reality hits against face like a 10 ton hammer.

Result will be something like:
- Plenty of unhappy people who were against the change
- Plenty of happy people who were supporting the change
- Plenty of mixed feelings people who think that the change was done wrong
- Noobs as clueless as before the change
- Little work for CCP and sh1t ton of work for plenty of players and 3rd party developers.

= wasted time and less happy customers than before the patch.

Darth Gustav
#56 - 2012-02-29 22:02:35 UTC
Grey Stormshadow wrote:

It is called preventive damage control to gain justification for something which has failed before implementation already.
Damage control module II's come out after the actual patch when reality hits against face like a 10 ton hammer.

- Little work for CCP and **** ton of work for plenty of players and 3rd party developers.

Tell me how it's any more work for third party developers than it was the first time around for CCP.

Think first, post second.

Swooshie
USA Canada Private Corp
#57 - 2012-02-29 22:04:10 UTC
We made a study about mechanics and reactions of workers to change in their environments.

In many offices we had the copier machines put in another housing, the same housing covers but with different model numbers and presented as a new revision (actual existing one) of the hardware.

After a month, 75% of the workers declared that the print quality and speed of copying had gotten noticeably worst. 23% of the worker polled affirmed that the "new" copier was so bad compared to the old one that is was like "night and day"...

Change....

"It is when I think about meaning that I lose what I meant to say."     -Swooshie

Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#58 - 2012-02-29 22:09:43 UTC
Serene Repose wrote:
I love people who start petitions. They're almost as quaint as people who start chainletters. What gets me are the sense of urgency (indispensible for a petition - the sky is falling) and the erudite (bordering on pedantic) dissertation outlining the copious knowledge and bottomless understanding the petitioner possesses which justifies the petition's mere existence. It's so very dramatic.

Nevermind that 99.999999% of all petitions are usually someones expression of their own sense of self-importance. That's not important! What's important are the glee and ardor with which they pursue futile endeavors. It's so charming, one could almost mistake it for "speaking truth to power," one of my favorite myths!

Even you try hard - stupid things still remain stupid.

However as you seem to lack the vices like self-importance and have access to fearless understanding of general population, would you like to give less dramatic view to the pros and cons of renaming the entire item database?

I would really like to hear some wise words. You seem to be really intelligent.

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#59 - 2012-02-29 22:12:42 UTC
An IQ 80, 13 old WoW player is meant to understand that "Grand Slayer Of The Ages" is something cooler than "Bronze sword".

Why an IQ120 EvE player is not meant to be able to understand "Cold Jet Arc Thruster"?
Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#60 - 2012-02-29 22:15:27 UTC
Darth Gustav wrote:
Grey Stormshadow wrote:

- Little work for CCP and **** ton of work for plenty of players and 3rd party developers.

Tell me how it's any more work for third party developers than it was the first time around for CCP.

Think first, post second.

Meanwhile In CCP... Nasty mean and really evil CCP developer laughs with dark voice and renames items 60 minutes.
After patch... 1000 3rd party developers curse the evil CCP developer and spend 60000 minutes to fix what he did.

World has to be better place now.