These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Fighters, Carriers and You

Author
Mnehal
Ta'un tribe
#21 - 2012-02-28 16:25:31 UTC
Simi Kusoni wrote:
Mnehal wrote:
Serge Bastana wrote:
I want my fighters under my control, simple as that. I'm the one paying 15 - 20 mill per fighter, get your own assault frigate and fly that.

And you can keep them all for yourself. The thingy is that playable fighters take up bandwith so if you for some reason want to launch one of your own Fighter drone you either kick a fighter player in your gang or wait 'til they blow up (where you can allow them to pick up a new fighter if you please).
If you don't want to share they need meet up in their own fighter.

So what you're saying is these are just buffed frigates? Why would they be used any more than assault frigates?

I think they would be more desirable in fleet fights than assault ships and their presence would demand the use of other small ships in fleets large or small as a counter. A good opportunity to tailor some of the ****** unused tech 1 hulls to be just as good as inties to take on fighters.

An idea like this can start a trickle down effect that can either lead to major screw ups if done wrong or something that enhance the entire game if put some extra thought to it. Arrow Shameless egocentric chest beating Attention
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#22 - 2012-02-28 18:06:56 UTC
So what you're is saying these are just buffed frigates.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#23 - 2012-02-28 18:17:18 UTC
Mnehal wrote:
I'm sorry to say this but it sounds like if one would go on your line then most ships in EVE are useless since all we need then is one hauler class ship, one tackler class, one battleship class for the noobs and the rest cap ships like the good ol' times.

The one ships that really didn't have any place in EVE are the caps. First came the Dreads because POS bashing was such a drag. The carriers to take care of the Dreads and Titans because they been promising a super duper all out epeen for a long time. We all know what happened after that.

So... Hacs, AF fleets, T3 fleets, sniper tier 3 BC fleets... Oh right, yeah, sorry all we have is haulers, tackle and DPS Roll

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Mnehal
Ta'un tribe
#24 - 2012-02-28 18:30:39 UTC
mxzf wrote:

Yes and no Lol I can turn that around and say that carriers are just oversized logi droneboats that never added anything new to the game. There's nothing a carrier can do that not a logi ship with a BC and a couple of BS's can do other than eliminating the use of lot's of other ship hulls in fleets, no?

Player fighters does add something new to the game.For example: it replace drones with players in fights, it makes the game more available to newer players since both Fighter pilots and Frigate pilots are more welcome in fleet fights, it allow players to fly 8 new saucy hulls and i'm sure it is appealing to a lot not so forum vocal EVE players.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#25 - 2012-02-28 18:49:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Simi Kusoni
Mnehal wrote:
mxzf wrote:

Yes and no Lol I can turn that around and say that carriers are just oversized logi droneboats that never added anything new to the game. There's nothing a carrier can do that not a logi ship with a BC and a couple of BS's can do other than eliminating the use of lot's of other ship hulls in fleets, no?

Except not many fleets can alpha a triage carrier off the field. There are plenty of other reasons for using carriers over logi and BCs, silly argument is silly.

Mnehal wrote:
Player fighters does add something new to the game.For example: it replace drones with players in fights, it makes the game more available to newer players since both Fighter pilots and Frigate pilots are more welcome in fleet fights, it allow players to fly 8 new saucy hulls and i'm sure it is appealing to a lot not so forum vocal EVE players.

Pretty sure this is covered on the last page:

Simi Kusoni wrote:
What would make people honestly want to use this, rather than just use fighters? Wouldn't it be more cost effective to stick all those pilots in real ships like battle cruisers or battle ships? I know that given the choice between me having to hit "f", and a bunch of scrubs who only ever fly tackle controlling my drones, I'd choose taking the extra second or two to hit "f" every time.

It doesn't add anything, it's just slightly buffed fighters that require 20x the number of people in fleet. And why would we want them there? Unless you were actively forcing carrier pilots to use them instead of regular fighters we'd just tell fighter pilots to GTFO and bring a real ship.

There are plenty of situations where assault frigates and small ships are useful, even in large fleets. But they are not useful in ratios of 20 to every capital, and in the situations where they really shine you don't want a carrier on the field because it won't be able to GTFO or keep up with the fleet.

*Not to mention the aforementioned issues with getting these fighters there. Do a bunch of noobs just pod their way to the combat system, then warp to carrier and try and get in when it jumps in? What happens if the gates are bubbled? Or are you suggesting these fighters work independently of the carrier, for flying to location? IN WHICH CASE THEY'RE JUST FRIGATES.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Mnehal
Ta'un tribe
#26 - 2012-02-28 19:01:51 UTC
Simi Kusoni wrote:
Mnehal wrote:
I'm sorry to say this but it sounds like if one would go on your line then most ships in EVE are useless since all we need then is one hauler class ship, one tackler class, one battleship class for the noobs and the rest cap ships like the good ol' times.

The one ships that really didn't have any place in EVE are the caps. First came the Dreads because POS bashing was such a drag. The carriers to take care of the Dreads and Titans because they been promising a super duper all out epeen for a long time. We all know what happened after that.

So... Hacs, AF fleets, T3 fleets, sniper tier 3 BC fleets... Oh right, yeah, sorry all we have is haulers, tackle and DPS Roll

Smile Didn't say that. I said that all ships in the game can be boiled down to one ship that hauls, one that pin the target down, one that does damage and one that do mucho damage. Sorry i see that i forgot the logi ship in that list. All in all each race need no more than 5 ships available.

The differance between a cruiser and a HAC is basically more DPS and HP and could just as well be one ship if you know what i mean?

Obviously that would be pretty boring setup. Therefore we, players have lot's of ships at our disposal doing all sorts of damage and some funny EW flair to some and a few that hauls etc etc.

The fleets you seem to think of are the smaller scale, tailored roaming gangs etc. And player fighters would in no way change the game so they become obsolete.

No my core idea is to make sure that no ship is unwanted on the larger scale and even low skill players can play a big part. Player Fighters is just one idea how that could be done.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#27 - 2012-02-28 19:05:45 UTC
Mnehal wrote:
and i'm sure it is appealing to a lot not so forum vocal EVE players.

I agree with everything Simi said. And I also wanted to point out that this is an absolutely horrible reason to try to use. "I'm sure there are tons of people that agree with me that just aren't saying anything" is just stupid, not to mention that you have no basis whatsoever to make this claim.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#28 - 2012-02-28 20:03:16 UTC
Mnehal wrote:
Smile Didn't say that. I said that all ships in the game can be boiled down to one ship that hauls, one that pin the target down, one that does damage and one that do mucho damage. Sorry i see that i forgot the logi ship in that list. All in all each race need no more than 5 ships available.

The differance between a cruiser and a HAC is basically more DPS and HP and could just as well be one ship if you know what i mean?

No. The difference between a HAC and a crappy cheap cruiser is viability. Some are fast, some have a nice tank, some have awesome range, DPS or tiny sigs.

Just because you can't see the difference between a sniper muninn fleet and a bunch of battleships doesn't mean there isn't one.

Mnehal wrote:
Obviously that would be pretty boring setup. Therefore we, players have lot's of ships at our disposal doing all sorts of damage and some funny EW flair to some and a few that hauls etc etc.

The fleets you seem to think of are the smaller scale, tailored roaming gangs etc. And player fighters would in no way change the game so they become obsolete.

Of course that would be a pretty boring set up, that's why eve isn't set up that way. And the fleets I'm thinking of are not "small scale", fast tackle like frigates or ceptors are usually used even in the largest of fleets. And hac/t3 gangs etc. can usually be seen in enormous sizes in the right places.

Again, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Mnehal wrote:
No my core idea is to make sure that no ship is unwanted on the larger scale and even low skill players can play a big part. Player Fighters is just one idea how that could be done.

It's a terrible idea of how that could be done. And why would we want to do it anyway? Giant frigate fights aren't fun, everything pops too fast. And is it really going to be interesting playing the role of DPS dealing drone?

"Ok, approach carrier and orbit at 500m while pressing F1. Oh you're dead already, sorry bro. Don't worry the other 300 of you guys might have better luck". Wow, job well done guys have a kill mail.

/rage

Asuka Solo
I N E X T R E M I S
Tactical Narcotics Team
#29 - 2012-02-28 21:08:34 UTC
I smell fail on fire.

Needless to say, this idea is not going places.

Eve is about Capital ships, WiS, Boobs, PI and Isk!

Mnehal
Ta'un tribe
#30 - 2012-02-28 21:08:52 UTC
Simi Kusoni wrote:
Except not many fleets can alpha a triage carrier off the field. There are plenty of other reasons for using carriers over logi and BCs, silly argument is silly.

And that is what i ment by saying that this idea would meet in the middle. Mass use of capitals was never intended.

Simi Kusoni wrote:
It doesn't add anything, it's just slightly buffed fighters that require 20x the number of people in fleet. And why would we want them there? Unless you were actively forcing carrier pilots to use them instead of regular fighters we'd just tell fighter pilots to GTFO and bring a real ship

I never said sligthly buffed, i deliberately left details out of the picture. I never said that Carrier pilot would be forced to use them if they didn't want to. They could go drone all the way, players all the way or mix.

What would make a differance here is if a corp that can muster 50 carriers would be equal to a corp with 100 carriers as long as the fighters are around. Pilots from other ships that pops can try to get to the carrier in their pod and board a Fighter if they so please.

The statement "GTFO and bring a real ship" is worth noting. That players say that at all is a symptom of one of the main flaws in EVE's game mechanics.

Simi Kusoni wrote:
There are plenty of situations where assault frigates and small ships are useful, even in large fleets. But they are not useful in ratios of 20 to every capital, and in the situations where they really shine you don't want a carrier on the field because it won't be able to GTFO or keep up with the fleet.

*Not to mention the aforementioned issues with getting these fighters there. Do a bunch of noobs just pod their way to the combat system, then warp to carrier and try and get in when it jumps in? What happens if the gates are bubbled? Or are you suggesting these fighters work independently of the carrier, for flying to location? IN WHICH CASE THEY'RE JUST FRIGATES.

Of course there are plenty of situations where smaller ships are useful and this idea would make them even more useful. I figure the Fighters would get to the carriers the same way all the other useful ships get to the fleet. And if not the jumping carriers can rely on the fighter drones they already are carrying. This is a carrier buff that oddly enough actually encourage smaller ships to enter the battle.

Again, yes as long as they are not in the same system as the carrier they work similar to frigates, interceptors in perticular, without the specific Intie bonuses.

Simi Kusoni wrote:
No. The difference between a HAC and a crappy cheap cruiser is viability. Some are fast, some have a nice tank, some have awesome range, DPS or tiny sigs. etc

It's clear you didn't understand what i ment, again you get stuck on details that wasn't very relevant. My bad.

Terrible idea or not i still think that all ships intended for battle should have more room in the fleets than they do now. Player Fighters would expand that room. Smile
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#31 - 2012-02-28 21:21:12 UTC
Mnehal wrote:
Simi Kusoni wrote:

And that is what i ment by saying that this idea would meet in the middle. Mass use of capitals was never intended.

Simi Kusoni wrote:
It doesn't add anything, it's just slightly buffed fighters that require 20x the number of people in fleet. And why would we want them there? Unless you were actively forcing carrier pilots to use them instead of regular fighters we'd just tell fighter pilots to GTFO and bring a real ship

I never said sligthly buffed, i deliberately left details out of the picture. I never said that Carrier pilot would be forced to use them if they didn't want to. They could go drone all the way, players all the way or mix.

What would make a differance here is if a corp that can muster 50 carriers would be equal to a corp with 100 carriers as long as the fighters are around. Pilots from other ships that pops can try to get to the carrier in their pod and board a Fighter if they so please.

The statement "GTFO and bring a real ship" is worth noting. That players say that at all is a symptom of one of the main flaws in EVE's game mechanics.

Simi Kusoni wrote:

Of course there are plenty of situations where smaller ships are useful and this idea would make them even more useful. I figure the Fighters would get to the carriers the same way all the other useful ships get to the fleet. And if not the jumping carriers can rely on the fighter drones they already are carrying. This is a carrier buff that oddly enough actually encourage smaller ships to enter the battle.

Again, yes as long as they are not in the same system as the carrier they work similar to frigates, interceptors in perticular, without the specific Intie bonuses.

Simi Kusoni wrote:
No. The difference between a HAC and a crappy cheap cruiser is viability. Some are fast, some have a nice tank, some have awesome range, DPS or tiny sigs. etc

It's clear you didn't understand what i ment, again you get stuck on details that wasn't very relevant. My bad.

Terrible idea or not i still think that all ships intended for battle should have more room in the fleets than they do now. Player Fighters would expand that room. Smile

tl;dr bad ideas

Marsan
#32 - 2012-02-28 23:09:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Marsan
Maybe a better idea might be to give carriers clone bays. Then you could throw a bunch of frigates, SB, interceptors, and the like in the maintenance bay. Maybe limit the clone bays to in system availability only. On the other hand being able to clone jump or death jump into a carrier would do wonders to one's ability to find pvp.

Former forum cheerleader CCP, now just a grumpy small portion of the community.

Mnehal
Ta'un tribe
#33 - 2012-02-29 10:36:45 UTC
Marsan wrote:
Maybe a better idea might be to give carriers clone bays. Then you could throw a bunch of frigates, SB, interceptors, and the like in the maintenance bay. Maybe limit the clone bays to in system availability only. On the other hand being able to clone jump or death jump into a carrier would do wonders to one's ability to find pvp.

Perhaps... but that would just bring us back to "GTFO and bring a real ship".Plus you can already fill the bay with ships and have pilots who lost their ships warp to you and try to get a new one.

Finding PvP in EVE have never been a problem imo as long as you don't worry about the outcome. One easy way is to monitor ship and pod kills on the map for a few days and you'll know what systems to fly into with a ship of your own choice. Smile

Mnehal
Ta'un tribe
#34 - 2012-02-29 11:12:57 UTC
This idea was to bring in an existing ship hull into the game with a new role on the battle field that replace drone with man. The idea that this is "just" a buffed tech 1 frig seem to have stuck. And i replied yes and no but i feel some more depth to that is needed.

I'd like to take the Vagabond as an example to clarify:

The Vagabond had some different HP, damage and resistances. The speed worked out to be a solopwnmobile (that later was caressed by the nerf bat somewhat) but all in all it is nothing more than a buffed tech 1 cruiser no matter how it is used.

Tech 3 cruisers the same but since they couldn't make them much more damage etc over tech 2, for obvious reasons, they had to make them tech 2 but different.

I could have said that i had an idea for a tech 3 frigate since that is basically what it is - tech 2 but different. However since the role is that of a fighter the existing fighter hulls is to me, the natural choice for the ship model. So call it a tech 3 Frig if it makes things easier to digest.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#35 - 2012-02-29 11:46:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Simi Kusoni
Mnehal wrote:
This idea was to bring in an existing ship hull into the game with a new role on the battle field that replace drone with man. The idea that this is "just" a buffed tech 1 frig seem to have stuck. And i replied yes and no but i feel some more depth to that is needed.

We've gone into it in considerably more depth than you.

I mean, have you considered that your 50 man carrier fleet example would now require 500 pilots as fighters? What's more useful, 500 slightly buffed drones or 500 AFs, bombers, cruisers or tier 3 BCs? Hence, GTFO and bring a real ship.

Mnehal wrote:
I'd like to take the Vagabond as an example to clarify:

The Vagabond had some different HP, damage and resistances. The speed worked out to be a solopwnmobile (that later was caressed by the nerf bat somewhat) but all in all it is nothing more than a buffed tech 1 cruiser no matter how it is used.

Oh, just some different HP, damage and resistances. I'm sure it isn't at all popular because of it's falloff bonus and the ability to fly at >4k m/s w/h.

Or what about the muninn? Ever seen a muninn fleet at work? No? Didn't think so.

Mnehal wrote:
Tech 3 cruisers the same but since they couldn't make them much more damage etc over tech 2, for obvious reasons, they had to make them tech 2 but different.

Posting to confirm Tech 3 cruisers suck and have no role in Eve.

Mnehal wrote:
I could have said that i had an idea for a tech 3 frigate since that is basically what it is - tech 2 but different. However since the role is that of a fighter the existing fighter hulls is to me, the natural choice for the ship model. So call it a tech 3 Frig if it makes things easier to digest.

The idea of tech 3 ship is modular ship design and expensive but heavily buffed stats. This is not in any way similar to your idea.

And just in case you're still arguing that "noobs" and small ships don't have a place in Eve, before DT I killed four drakes and a cynabal hero tackling them in a jaguar. Yesterday I killed a raven and a 2b ISK golem doing the same thing.

tl;dr: Small ships have a role and a place in Eve, replacing my fighters isn't one of them.

Mnehal
Ta'un tribe
#36 - 2012-02-29 16:03:24 UTC
Simi Kusoni wrote:
Stuff about 500 ships, GTFO and bring a real ship.

I have considered that. And also said that no carrier pilot would be forced to make use of piloted Fighters. You can skip it or go mix. If you want to bring "500 AFs, bombers, cruisers or tier 3 BCs" you absolutely should.
Again, who said they would be buffed slightly. The way the Fighters can be designed, the Cruisers and BC's and up, will be quickly destroyed by the Fighters unless they bring a good mix of the small stuff ment to kill the smaller stuff. Fighters are smaller than Frigates and it's smaller sig radius one of it's main defence.

Simi Kusoni wrote:
vagabonds falloff bonus and the Muninn.

You keep getting stuck on details that is not important... The only thing you need to think about is that all tech 2 is just buffed tech 1 with improved or somewhat different roles than the original.

Simi Kusoni wrote:
Posting to confirm Tech 3 cruisers suck and have no role in Eve.

You posted to confirm you missed the point again. I never claimed that they have no role. All ships have roles. Some are just better at it's role than others. What i said is that they are different.

One can argue whether they really filled a hole in the roles. I think CCP just brought them in to satisfy the playerbase hunger for something new and at the same time make tech 3 what all tech 1 ships was supposed to be since alpha but they couldn't implement at the time.

Simi Kusoni wrote:
The idea of tech 3 ship is modular ship design and expensive but heavily buffed stats. This is not in any way similar to your idea..

Apparently it was hard to digest. The similarity to tech 3 was "tech 2 but different" and it stopped there since they are not modular and not built with sleeper tech.

Simi Kusoni wrote:
arguing about "noobs", stuff and some KB linkies

Ok, don't really know what i'm looking at here. It sounds to me that you feel like i somehow called you a noob and that i for some reason are against "noobs" in large fleet engagements.
Quite wrong. My idea is all about bringing in low skilled players, in small ships in larger fleets. I am not the one saying "GTFO and bring a real ship"
What i saw on those killboards was one skirmish between two small gangs and then on different occations two ganked mission runners. The way i see it is that everything is working as intended when it comes to small gangs. But my idea was never about skirmish or ganked missoin runners. Unless there are Carriers involved.

tl;dr: It is obious that you don't like my idea. And it is absolutely ok by me. What is not so ok is that you bring little constructive to the discussion. It just boils down to "Why!"
I think my intentions with the piloted Fighter are clear. And the feeling i get from you is that this idea intimidates you for unknown reason and that you are a person who must have the last word.
Me on the other hand are the OP and I am obliged to defend my idea for as long as possible. All you have to do if you don't like a post on any forum is just state,preferably in one post, that you don't like it, give a good reason why and then ignore it and i promise you it will go away.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#37 - 2012-02-29 18:13:04 UTC
Mnehal wrote:
I have considered that. And also said that no carrier pilot would be forced to make use of piloted Fighters. You can skip it or go mix. If you want to bring "500 AFs, bombers, cruisers or tier 3 BCs" you absolutely should.
Again, who said they would be buffed slightly. The way the Fighters can be designed, the Cruisers and BC's and up, will be quickly destroyed by the Fighters unless they bring a good mix of the small stuff ment to kill the smaller stuff. Fighters are smaller than Frigates and it's smaller sig radius one of it's main defence.

You don't seem to get the point, that has been repeated by me and everyone else since the first page, no carrier pilot would ever use your idea.

Your idea proposes that these fighter pilots cannot be jumped in to system, they must fly there. Therefore there is no tactical advantage in using your "fighter pilots" over sticking players in the currently used fleet ships, whether that means tackle, hacs, battlecruisers etc.

"You keep getting stuck on details that is not important... The only thing you need to think about is that all tech 2 is just buffed tech 1 with improved or somewhat different roles than the original."
Well, yes, that's the point. Your fighters are just buffed drones. They don't serve a new role or purpose, they impose on existing ones.

Hacs, however... Find me a T1 version of the muninn, that fills the same fleet role? Oh, there isn't one? Golly.

Mnehal wrote:
You posted to confirm you missed the point again. I never claimed that they have no role. All ships have roles. Some are just better at it's role than others. What i said is that they are different.

One can argue whether they really filled a hole in the roles. I think CCP just brought them in to satisfy the playerbase hunger for something new and at the same time make tech 3 what all tech 1 ships was supposed to be since alpha but they couldn't implement at the time.

Nothing before T3s could do what they do, and when I say that I am not just talking about fleet PvP. T3s for exploration, WHs, missioning etc. quite simply nothing compares to them and they fill their chosen roles brilliantly.

Your fighter bombers... are just fighters that require 10x the number of players to use.

Mnehal wrote:
Ok, don't really know what i'm looking at here. It sounds to me that you feel like i somehow called you a noob and that i for some reason are against "noobs" in large fleet engagements.
Quite wrong. My idea is all about bringing in low skilled players, in small ships in larger fleets. I am not the one saying "GTFO and bring a real ship"
What i saw on those killboards was one skirmish between two small gangs and then on different occations two ganked mission runners. The way i see it is that everything is working as intended when it comes to small gangs. But my idea was never about skirmish or ganked missoin runners. Unless there are Carriers involved.

Sigh, assault frigates and the like are used in large fleets for exactly the same purposes I was using them for there, hence linking them. They hero tackle stuff, and get warp-ins. Swarms of them are also pretty funny.

You are claiming that your fighter bombers are needed because low SP characters have no place in fleet fights, and this would get them into them. This is pretty redundant when they are already IN fleet fights, and they already have ships to use there.

Mnehal wrote:
tl;dr: It is obious that you don't like my idea. And it is absolutely ok by me. What is not so ok is that you bring little constructive to the discussion. It just boils down to "Why!"
I think my intentions with the piloted Fighter are clear. And the feeling i get from you is that this idea intimidates you for unknown reason and that you are a person who must have the last word.
Me on the other hand are the OP and I am obliged to defend my idea for as long as possible. All you have to do if you don't like a post on any forum is just state,preferably in one post, that you don't like it, give a good reason why and then ignore it and i promise you it will go away.

1) This is a bad idea, and you are defending it with faulty logic. Certain people, myself included, have difficulty leaving it at that. If I see someone doing something stupidly I usually compulsively explain it to them.

2) This is a discussion forum, people for the last few pages have been explaining that it wouldn't work. If all of them just left the discussion there you'd make counterpoints and the thread would fall silent, that's not a discussion. That's you arguing with a brick wall and pretending you were right at the end of it.

In case you mistakenly thought it was just me who thought this was a bad idea:

Your Adoring Fans wrote:
"It wouldn't work. Simple as that. I do like the idea of customizing bombers and fighters though."

"It won't happen. Ever. Get over it and search the forums to see that it's been discussed many times already. /thread"

"I love the enthusiasm to put players in fighters. (...) I even let myself dream of crazy ways to let CCP somehow do this, but I always come back to the "It's just too damn difficult" argument. Especially for the worth of this."

"I want my fighters under my control, simple as that. I'm the one paying 15 - 20 mill per fighter, get your own assault frigate and fly that."

"I smell fail on fire.

Needless to say, this idea is not going places."

"Maybe a better idea might be to give carriers clone bays. Then you could throw a bunch of frigates, SB, interceptors, and the like in the maintenance bay."

These are the only other posts in this thread.

Previous page12