These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

What stops people going to Nullsec, why do people go back to highsec from Null?

Author
L0rdF1end
Threat Contained
The Initiative.
#1 - 2012-02-28 13:35:12 UTC
Just curious, maybe some of you can help me understand why some people are so dead against nullsec.

Okay...some may have had a bad experience, but I know of some people that plainly refuse to ever go to null...what a waste of this beautiful game if your not going to eventually explore all aspects.

so anyone? open conversation, lets find out the reasons.

Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#2 - 2012-02-28 13:37:10 UTC
Fear
Nalha Saldana
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-02-28 13:46:14 UTC
Tchulen wrote:
Fear

This, some people are just boring and wants to play a grind type of game where their endgame is a fully faction fit faction battleship that cant really be used in null because stuff dies eventually.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#4 - 2012-02-28 13:51:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Simi Kusoni
L0rdF1end wrote:
Just curious, maybe some of you can help me understand why some people are so dead against nullsec.

Okay...some may have had a bad experience, but I know of some people that plainly refuse to ever go to null...what a waste of this beautiful game if your not going to eventually explore all aspects.

so anyone? open conversation, lets find out the reasons.

Because everything you can get in null sec, you can get in high sec with considerably less effort.

Not that I'm one of the "buff null sec" crowd, to be honest it isn't really dangerous enough to warrant it. I'd be happy with vanguards getting a little tweak, null sec (mostly sov null sec) being made considerably more dangerous and then they can talk about buffing it.

Nalha Saldana wrote:
cant really be used in null because stuff dies eventually.

Only if you're doing it wrong Blink

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-02-28 13:57:02 UTC
I left Nullsec primarily because it became impossible to make ISK for me after the Sanctum changes. I was also getting sick and tired of logging on to a CTA every single ******* day with no time to make ISK and do what I want to do. Being forced to play the game for someone else's benifit isn't fun at all. I moved back to WH space and haven't looked back. I get my PvP when I want it and make ISK when I want to.

I have absolutely no "fear" of anything in Nullsec. I am willing to lose ships...in fact i WANT to lose ships. It is the only way for me to tell what fits actually work and what fits don't in a real fight. EFT can only tell you so much.

I think most people are opposed to going to Nullsec because they don't want to be forced to do anything. They don't want to be told what to do and where to go and when to be there. They want to log on, do their thing and have fun. For some that is fleet fights and constant death. For others it is making ISK. Some are right in between. I not only pay for my gametime with ISK now for 3 accounts but I also buy my ships for PvP with ISK. I don't buy PLEX or anything else with real money to play EvE. That means I HAVE to have time to make my ISK and can't always PvP.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#6 - 2012-02-28 14:02:12 UTC
Simi Kusoni wrote:

Because everything you can get in null sec, you can get in high sec with considerably less effort.

I'm not sure I agree with that. You can't get moon goo in high sec. I can make a LOT more isk in null sec than high sec without as much effort if in relatively uncontested sov systems. ABC ores.

Fact is, null sec is more rewarding and more dangerous. I won't debate whether either is enough or whether it's balanced but if you want to go there you have to have a corp big enough in a big enough alliance to take space off someone and deal with when they bring in their friends and/or mercs which basically removes small corps from the equation unless you're prepared to pay for the privilege.

Also, you're corp/alliance needs to have a sizable pvp wing and have most if not all players capable and willing to do pvp. Some people play this game as though it wasn't a pvp game. To do that you need to remain firmly entrenched in high sec.

Horses for courses.
Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#7 - 2012-02-28 14:03:18 UTC
Vertisce Soritenshi wrote:
I left Nullsec primarily because it became impossible to make ISK for me after the Sanctum changes. I was also getting sick and tired of logging on to a CTA every single ******* day with no time to make ISK and do what I want to do. Being forced to play the game for someone else's benifit isn't fun at all. I moved back to WH space and haven't looked back. I get my PvP when I want it and make ISK when I want to.

I have absolutely no "fear" of anything in Nullsec. I am willing to lose ships...in fact i WANT to lose ships. It is the only way for me to tell what fits actually work and what fits don't in a real fight. EFT can only tell you so much.

I think most people are opposed to going to Nullsec because they don't want to be forced to do anything. They don't want to be told what to do and where to go and when to be there. They want to log on, do their thing and have fun. For some that is fleet fights and constant death. For others it is making ISK. Some are right in between. I not only pay for my gametime with ISK now for 3 accounts but I also buy my ships for PvP with ISK. I don't buy PLEX or anything else with real money to play EvE. That means I HAVE to have time to make my ISK and can't always PvP.

Actually, this too.
hmskrecik
TransMine Group
Gluten Free Cartel
#8 - 2012-02-28 14:04:20 UTC
Tchulen wrote:
Fear

This.

Also I have this perception that nullsec is for hardcores and hardcores keep carebears like me in deep contempt, while I'm not too keen to look for friends between people who despise me.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#9 - 2012-02-28 14:11:58 UTC

This.

It would be really nice if space in null was genuinely valuable, and not just for the alliance leaders who control renting/moons. As it stands anomalies are pretty lulzy, and exploration is only really viable in large alliances who control an appreciable percentage of a region.

Having said that, anomalies are more or less risk free. I still think if they're buffed they should make running them more dangerous, currently if you pay attention to local and have a few bubbles on gate you will literally never die to anything bar an awoxer. Even the bubbles on gate are pretty much optional, if you hit warp as soon as a neut enters even carriers should have time to align before anything lands.

I like the idea of being forced to fight for space, I just wish that the space had some kind of value. Since joining cascade the amount I make has literally not changed at all, for me the part of null sec I am supposedly fighting for holds no more value than low sec or NPC 0.0.

Having said that, cascade are really good when it comes to not bitching about CTAs and stuff. As long as you turn up to a few every now and then if you're online, and you don't completely suck at Eve, no one will really bother you.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#10 - 2012-02-28 14:14:22 UTC
hmskrecik wrote:
Tchulen wrote:
Fear

This.

Also I have this perception that nullsec is for hardcores and hardcores keep carebears like me in deep contempt, while I'm not too keen to look for friends between people who despise me.

Nah, I'm a giant care bear too and I live in null Big smile There is such a thing as hard core carebearing you know Twisted

Mike Whiite
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#11 - 2012-02-28 14:27:23 UTC
Tchulen wrote:
Fear

I think the people that aviod 0.0 due to fear are fewer people than you think.

Low sec is more dangerous in a lot of ways.

Worm Holes probably even more.

And for a large group of players with limited time, it's just not fun to be doing alliance duties the few hours you have to spend online.

Oh and the afk cloak whine threads don't help either.

as for people leaving, boredom and Eve Becomming a real Job are the most heard complains about 0.0, in the low sec part I call home.
Aqriue
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-02-28 14:36:21 UTC
Not a fan of FPS and buffering the lanes of a bowling alley.

OMG! Dude on grid! SHOOT IT NAO! from a guy with high scan res cause its shoot first, whine later there is nothing in lowsec/nullsec (duh, I wonder why nobody goes there ? Roll)

While flying through choke points where you can't possible avoid a gate camp unless you fly way the **** out of your way or fit a cloaking device (but I gave up long ago trying, cause I don't belive it works except when they scream and whine to nerf it)

Give me a better way to avoid people (like instead of choke point pipes, systems have at least 12 neighboring jump gates to defend making it damn impossible camp) or people bother to play any other game style but CoD clowns expecting their xEVE or EVELive score to be better then some other assclown on this ******* mudball (really, you expect to have an impressive game score to gloat about? So, if it is so special to you then I am all for leaving SD and Titan guns as is just to frustrate the hell out of you guys)
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#13 - 2012-02-28 14:42:32 UTC
Aqriue wrote:
Not a fan of FPS and buffering the lanes of a bowling alley.

OMG! Dude on grid! SHOOT IT NAO! from a guy with high scan res cause its shoot first, whine later there is nothing in lowsec/nullsec (duh, I wonder why nobody goes there ? Roll)

While flying through choke points where you can't possible avoid a gate camp unless you fly way the **** out of your way or fit a cloaking device (but I gave up long ago trying, cause I don't belive it works except when they scream and whine to nerf it)

Give me a better way to avoid people (like instead of choke point pipes, systems have at least 12 neighboring jump gates to defend making it damn impossible camp) or people bother to play any other game style but CoD clowns expecting their xEVE or EVELive score to be better then some other assclown on this ******* mudball (really, you expect to have an impressive game score to gloat about? So, if it is so special to you then I am all for leaving SD and Titan guns as is just to frustrate the hell out of you guys)

If you're honestly having difficulty getting around in null sec you're doing something wrong, only thing I've ever lost to gate camps is a cyno ship.

FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#14 - 2012-02-28 14:58:17 UTC
Most of my corpmates came back from nullsec. I hear pretty much the same thing from all of them: it stopped being fun.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#15 - 2012-02-28 14:58:52 UTC
The main reason I live in highsec right now rather than low/null is that it's just easier to live in high. I'm not at all afraid of low/null or anything, I've lived in both WHs and nullsec in the past and I go through them and lowsec all without thinking twice (especially low, due to the lack of bubbles, lol).

But for my personal gameplay style, I like being able to just AFK randomly if I get bored doing stuff and I like being able to just hop into the game, fly around a bit, and then AFK while chatting with corpies or something. Nullsec just doesn't end up fitting quite so well with what I end up doing in-game. And on top of that there's the difficulty of finding a good alliance if you actually want to get into null even somewhat safely.
CaleAdaire
Deep Core Mining Inc.
#16 - 2012-02-28 15:02:07 UTC
for me, the biggest barrier was a fear of low/null instilled by my first corp, which told me that it was dangerous and i was guaranteed to lose billions on my first excursion. I have since discovered this is crap.

Trust in God, Have Faith in Fusion.

TheBlueMonkey
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2012-02-28 15:09:31 UTC
I shot at some pos's, then I shot at some stations, then I repped some stations, there were times I was titan jumped many systems from my home only to slow boat it home.

Deployment in far off systems followed by redeployments many systems over.

CTA after CTA after CTA which got almost as bad as doing missions.

Then life changed a little, I can't commit as much time to the game so I'm in empire, tooling about

Plus, I've always loved the meta game more than the actual game.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#18 - 2012-02-28 15:22:04 UTC
Fear? I am sure some could be seen that way. More likely a sense of fear of the unknown, where they feel unable to connect with the required groups to get into null. Fully perception based, but not always wrong.

Statistically a bad gamble? Yes, perception that people will be ganked on a regular basis can exist. Fully perception based, but not as bad as they think it is. A few choke points give the entire region a sense of this, if you cannot get past them.

Don't fly it if you can't afford to lose it? Most likely a lot avoid it for this reason, simply not able to play enough to generate enough ISK to fly ships they consider worth the effort. PvE mentality implies the best ship for the job is the only ship to bother with.

It always comes down to perception.

And crafting the perception that null or low is more desirable is the solution.
Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#19 - 2012-02-28 15:36:35 UTC
For some players it is probably fear, but I really don't think it's the primary driver.

The simple fact is that for players who aren't already in a nullsec alliance there is nothing in nullsec, and most people don't want to ask for other players' permission to play a game that they are paying for.

So why even go there?

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm Richard Bartle: Players who suit MUDs

Aglais
Ice-Storm
#20 - 2012-02-28 16:01:21 UTC
For why there aren't alot of people generally floating around in nullsec, I suspect that being ripped limb from limb by hostile gatecamps seconds after jumping into the first nullsec system of any pipe is a major cause. It's likely happened to more people than it hasn't. (I don't know about you guys but the only times I haven't been ripped apart by gatecamps, is when I was jumping in as one of the camping force. At least in the first systems.)

It boils down to "If you're not one of us, you're already dead" because the alliances out there seem kind of paranoid. And by 'kind of' I mean 'Would kill their mother, their father, and all of their extended family on suspicion of them being Russian/whatever-group-of-players-in-null-you-don't-like spies'.

Not to mention, what little aspects of gameplay there are in null at the moment, these alliances generally have an iron grip over, so if there's any place that doesn't have much player influence it's probably devoid of anything useful anyways. It's hardly an expansive and lawless frontier anymore. It has edges. And if you're not part of any of the 'elite' who have built themselves fortresses in the dark, you're not welcome, except really as target practice. Even then, again, you're usually dead on the first gate unless you're in a cloaky, interdiction nullified T3 or a ceptor or something and the campers are drunk.

Sometime's it's also kind of hard to keep up with "CTA CTA CTA GET YOUR (ship that you don't want to fly but absolutely have to for fleet doctrine) OUT AND GET TO (staging system two constellations over)". If you're not in the right group this is just painful, really.

Have I mentioned that being in an alliance is more or less having a second/third job sometimes? Yeah, that's probably it. At times it can be ok, but at others it's just not what you need.
123Next page