These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Proposal] Make Assembly Hall Heavily Moderated

Author
Tidurious
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-02-27 22:49:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Tidurious
Lately, there's not much of a difference between Features and Ideas Discussion and the Assembly Hall. Now, I think F&I should remain the free-for-all that it currently is, and people can post any idea they damn well please. However, Assembly Hall should be a place where well thought-out ideas are presented clearly for the community to discuss. With that in mind, I feel that the following changes should be made to the Assembly Hall Rules:

1. No idea/proposal/feature may be posted without having first been posted in F&I a minimum of 10 days in advance

2. The original post in F&I must have received at least 20 likes and/or +1 posts in support

3. The Assembly Hall posts must be written clearly in proper English

4. There should be a moderator to weed out all the half-assed posts that haven't been put on F&I for discussion first

My idea is that people can go to F&I for any crazy ideas that they have; to post or respond to as they please. However, when I visit the Assembly Hall, I want to see well-written posts with supporting documentation/examples that are actually something worth voting on.

This would provide two benefits to the forum community and EVE base as a whole:

1. F&I and Assembly Hall would actually become two different forum sections; as it is right now, there's not a lot of difference between them. However, more importantly:

2. This would give CCP/CSMs/DEVs a place to look to see the ideas that people REALLY care about, and not have to weed through all the BS ideas that people put up on F&I (which are fine, as long as they STAY on F&I).

Posting without meeting these criteria should result in the topic removed from Assembly Hall and being placed in F&I; optionally, posts in Assembly Hall must be approved by a selected mod before they appear, to ensure that all criteria are met (have to make sure that bias doesn't become a factor).

What do y'all think?
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#2 - 2012-02-27 22:58:20 UTC
+1 from me.

I've definitely noticed that both forums seem to be fairly full of crappy ideas which are everywhere like weeds and drown out the few good ideas that actually come up.

I think 50 likes is a bit much though, due to the speed at which actual good posts vanish (due to not being controversial enough to generate a heated discussion) it's hard to get too much more than 15-20 without it requiring a lot of bumping.
Tidurious
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-02-27 23:03:30 UTC
That's probably a good point, I was kinda throwing a number out there. How about 20? I think that there needs to be some actual support to an idea before it goes to assembly hall, though - something worth the time of CSMs/DEVs to look at.

Proposed likes reduced from 50 ---> 20
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#4 - 2012-02-27 23:23:00 UTC
I could go for 20, that's not an unobtainable number, but it means that your idea is fairly well received, especially if you manage to get 20 Likes without having any significant opposition in the ensuing discussion of the thread.

I'm all for anything that will get the good ideas where the devs will see them. And I feel like this is a good way to do it, because it creates a forum of well-received and generally supported ideas that devs can look at without all the trolling and badposts that AH currently has.

I think it would also be a good idea for people to need to have a link back to their original post with 20+ likes and atleast a week or so old, so that it's easier for the mods to check that the proposal meets the minimum standards.
CaleAdaire
Deep Core Mining Inc.
#5 - 2012-02-28 00:54:06 UTC
I'll get behind this idea, I like the idea of an assembly hall forum that must have its posts vetted first. I'm not gonna rehash why I like it because you already posted most of the benefits.

I would say that the best part is that it could be a way to get some more players to get more involved in the EvE universe (such as the ISD and its divisions).

Trust in God, Have Faith in Fusion.

Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#6 - 2012-02-28 02:30:14 UTC
CaleAdaire wrote:
I'll get behind this idea, I like the idea of an assembly hall forum that must have its posts vetted first. I'm not gonna rehash why I like it because you already posted most of the benefits.

I would say that the best part is that it could be a way to get some more players to get more involved in the EvE universe (such as the ISD and its divisions).

In the description of Assembly Hall it's implied that it is more formal, but the reality is not so much.

+1

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm Richard Bartle: Players who suit MUDs

Tidurious
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-02-28 18:44:48 UTC
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
CaleAdaire wrote:

In the description of Assembly Hall it's implied that it is more formal, but the reality is not so much.

+1

I know that the description states this, but it is not followed. We get a ton of proposals there that are poorly written in terms of both writing and ideas; additionally, no one is enforcing that. Lets fix the assembly hall!
Velicitia
XS Tech
#8 - 2012-02-28 19:29:55 UTC
+1 supported, especially if this has the side benefit of killing NPC corp people from posting ideas...

also, "proof or it's a lie" type rules for the likes/age (linkage in the OP?)

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Tidurious
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2012-02-28 19:34:02 UTC
Yes, I agree, the original F&I post would have to be linked in the Assembly Hall post.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#10 - 2012-02-28 20:03:07 UTC
P I already suggested requiring a link to the original post in post #4 of this thread.

And I was just thinking, but it might be worthwhile to disable starting threads on the AH forum and make it so that the only way to get your thread there would be for it to move there (either via a mod or via a "move to AH" button that is disabled 'till you have the proper support). Though I admit that it could be a slightly problematic situation depending on how it's done.

Mostly I'm just sick of the crappy threads on AH (and here too, but AH is supposed to be more moderated) which bump off the good ones. Either limiting/removing starting threads on there or it being well-patrolled with mods deleting or moving the threads (just locking doesn't help because the locked thread still bumps good threads down) would solve the issue; but something needs to happen to clean it up.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#11 - 2012-02-28 20:25:30 UTC
mxzf wrote:
P I already suggested requiring a link to the original post in post #4 of this thread.

Aww, you think I actually read what you say... Cool (i kid, i kid -- been missing a few things you've pointed out today it seemsOops)

mxzf wrote:
And I was just thinking, but it might be worthwhile to disable starting threads on the AH forum and make it so that the only way to get your thread there would be for it to move there (either via a mod or via a "move to AH" button that is disabled 'till you have the proper support). Though I admit that it could be a slightly problematic situation depending on how it's done.

Mostly I'm just sick of the crappy threads on AH (and here too, but AH is supposed to be more moderated) which bump off the good ones. Either limiting/removing starting threads on there or it being well-patrolled with mods deleting or moving the threads (just locking doesn't help because the locked thread still bumps good threads down) would solve the issue; but something needs to happen to clean it up.

+1

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia