These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

evewho.com - Showing more than I want to show. No privacy !

First post First post
Author
Karbowiak
The League Of Unwanted Capsuleers
#141 - 2011-09-21 10:27:20 UTC
Kronus Heilgar wrote:
Bahaha I love how this website gets the rage thread, but I didn't get any when I released my earlier version of the same thing a couple months ago (EVE Central Intelligence)

I know he's not scraping the API with random guesses so you can all stop bitching about that (you'd be amazed how fast the CCP API folks can go get that banhammer). He's in bed with EVSCO / eve-kill, so he gets every character name from every kill that goes through there, and probably also uses the API keys eve-kill users have given to get names from wallet transactions. In addition, the new RSS feed for the forums makes it easy to scrape those too.

So it's not against CCP regulations. But it's definitely an abuse of the API keys people have trusted to EVSCO / eve-kill.

After building an initial database it's quite the chain effect, you can see every corp the characters have been in, then see the CEO's of each of those corps, then see the corps that those CEO's have been in, and so on. All chat logs are automatically saved, so he can process those (just stay logged in while sitting in Jita and the noob systems).

So grow up. It's not going to change now. Best thing you can do is go change all your API keys.

Thing is tho, no information besides the pilot list that you also got, are being shared.
Only one using the API keys given to EVE-KILL is EVE-KILL and its hosted killboards.

The only thing we share with EVEWho and EVEChatter are the API proxy, since we both benefit from having an api proxy that's "warm". EVE-KILL benefits from it when its showing stats on corps/alliances, and EVEWho can ask the API 500 times a second for the same thing, with only one hit to the CCP API (not that he does, but he could in theory)

The only way we are "in bed" is that Squizz is the guy who helped create the new source for EVE-KILL, and also created our new API mod, and a whole slew of other things.
But at no point in time, did he missuse his powers to give information from EVE-KILL to EVEWho.

All of this said, none of you will believe me, so i don't know why i even bother.. lol
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#142 - 2011-09-21 10:29:44 UTC
I suggest EVERYBODY makes at least 1 call that generates an error using EVSCO API proxy cache :)

St Mike
Ares Macro Technology
#143 - 2011-09-21 10:30:49 UTC
You might even be providing your own Char ID with the request

1. You enter the name in that site
2. it cross checks the name with something like http://eveolution.de/portrait.php?user=miilla
3. the jpegs have your charID in the name ...
4 ...
5. Rage at CCP
Karbowiak
#144 - 2011-09-21 10:30:57 UTC
Miilla wrote:
I suggest EVERYBODY makes at least 1 call that generates an error using EVSCO API proxy cache :)

Im afraid your plead has not been heard by anyone but your multiple personalities..
Karbowiak
#145 - 2011-09-21 10:34:26 UTC
St Mike wrote:
You might even be providing your own Char ID with the request

1. You enter the name in that site
2. it cross checks the name with something like http://eveolution.de/portrait.php?user=miilla
3. the jpegs have your charID in the name ...
4 ...
5. Rage at CCP

Also, ingame, all portraits are loaded from http://image.eveonline.com/Character/externalid_size.jpg
So your CharacterID is also ingame Blink
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#146 - 2011-09-21 10:41:05 UTC
All this MAYBE ingame, so what, if they want it IN GAME, they can LOG IN to the game and PLAY THE GAME.

Not automate it, that is something we are always told, CCP want people to LOG INTO the game to PLAY THE GAME to get info etc.

Karbowiak
#147 - 2011-09-21 10:45:26 UTC
Miilla wrote:
All this MAYBE ingame, so what, if they want it IN GAME, they can LOG IN to the game and PLAY THE GAME.

Not automate it, that is something we are always told, CCP want people to LOG INTO the game to PLAY THE GAME to get info etc.

Thing is my dear friend, the image server is made so that this forum can show images from ingame in an easy way, and evegate, and eveonline.com, and all 3rd party sites aswell.
Its used in EVE aswell, cause the client shouldn't render the images like it used to do, took too much time.

But isn't it awesome spouting nonsense without having the faintest clue how it works, or why its done this way ? i wish i could do that Cry
Jackk Hammer
MinnieZ
#148 - 2011-09-21 10:45:41 UTC
This is the reason I never give my api key to anyone except trusted sites like Chribba's eveboard or pandemic-legion.com
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#149 - 2011-09-21 10:48:14 UTC
DoooooooooooooooooommmmM!!!
Karbowiak
#150 - 2011-09-21 10:48:56 UTC
And with that last remark, i think we can call this rage thread for over.

Toodles o/
St Mike
Ares Macro Technology
#151 - 2011-09-21 10:49:40 UTC
Karbowiak wrote:

Also, ingame, all portraits are loaded from http://image.eveonline.com/Character/externalid_size.jpg
So your CharacterID is also ingame Blink

I am not worried about ingame gathering of charID
While that may be automated as well, its these out-of-game loopholes from the combination of services offered by CCP that is disturbing.

I don't really care atm, as I am still suffering from Incarna f***-up and are more active in another well-known small-gang instant-action tank-driving online game.
Not the depth of eve, but you can't have it all...
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#152 - 2011-09-21 10:50:21 UTC
Karbowiak wrote:
And with that last remark, i think we can call this rage thread for over.

Toodles o/

LOL no you are not getting away that easy.

Peter Powers
FinFleet
Northern Coalition.
#153 - 2011-09-21 10:56:55 UTC
Kronus Heilgar wrote:

I know he's not scraping the API with random guesses so you can all stop bitching about that (you'd be amazed how fast the CCP API folks can go get that banhammer). He's in bed with EVSCO / eve-kill, so he gets every character name from every kill that goes through there, and probably also uses the API keys eve-kill users have given to get names from wallet transactions. In addition, the new RSS feed for the forums makes it easy to scrape those too.

So it's not against CCP regulations. But it's definitely an abuse of the API keys people have trusted to EVSCO / eve-kill.

After building an initial database it's quite the chain effect, you can see every corp the characters have been in, then see the CEO's of each of those corps, then see the corps that those CEO's have been in, and so on. All chat logs are automatically saved, so he can process those (just stay logged in while sitting in Jita and the noob systems).

So grow up. It's not going to change now. Best thing you can do is go change all your API keys.

Lol, Kronus, fail.

A bit of information on Kronus:
Kronus started an website called something like eve intelligence service,
people had (or have?) to pay isk to look at the results, which are basically
the same information that evewho offers.
One day Kronus joined an irc channel where the eve-kill guys and a few
others of us (guests) hang out and started bugging about getting various
access to information on eve-kill (he asked for api, he asked for a dump
of the complete data and a few other things aswell) - and he got the reaction
he deserved:
he got a clear no, and when he was going on about it, he got trolled by several
of us, be it about the information (hey kronus, i got the information,
80bn ill sell 'em to you), or be it after some basic checks about the quality
of his software (rofl), or about how his unability to determine what is
valueable intel and what not.

Meanwhile, Squizz_C who got bored with Kronus and didn't want to pay for such
simple information as Kronus provided build his own solution (evewho) and
decided rather than asking everyone to pay made it free for everyone.

For the information Squizz_C currently provides he doesn't need API access
a fact that Kronus should know for sure.

I think this background should provide anyone with enough information
on how much worth there is in Kronus allegations.

3rdPartyEve.net - your catalogue for 3rd party applications

HyperBeanie
Finanzamt Dortmund-West
#154 - 2011-09-21 11:07:12 UTC
Kronus Heilgar wrote:
... [wall of text]... and probably also uses the API keys eve-kill users have given to get names from wallet transactions. In addition, the new RSS feed for the forums makes it easy to scrape those too.

Just to put a final nail in the coffin. We don't even have access to the wallet of users! Simple as that, people only give us access to killlist with the new API system.

So there's no reason to be afraid of EVSCO having your api keys.

There, done, stop being stupid paranoid girls.
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#155 - 2011-09-21 11:10:43 UTC
BOYCOTT EVSCO!!!

Generate an ERROR protest :)
Mara Tessidar
Perkone
Caldari State
#156 - 2011-09-21 11:14:10 UTC
IamBeastx
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#157 - 2011-09-21 11:20:32 UTC
So, any bets on how many people went to evewho and entered there 'super secret' alts name to check if its there and therefore gave evewho another name to check??

All my life i wanted to be someone, now i know i should have been more specific.

Alissa Solette
Emergency Exit
#158 - 2011-09-21 12:21:57 UTC
Shionoya Risa wrote:
Zagam wrote:

Why is it so important that the info is hidden?

Apart from the massive intel boost it gives?

Which is available to anyone who can click a link or type an URL. Sure, that excludes at least half of the EVE population but in all honesty the intel would have been wasted on them either way.
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#159 - 2011-09-21 13:30:01 UTC
ITT: People with expectations of privacy on the interwebs.

/facepalm

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#160 - 2011-09-21 13:39:21 UTC
Great thread !

This info will be very usefull in my evil little highsec griefing war Twisted

Much thanks :)