These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New Player...Not Drawn In By Incarna

First post
Author
Degren
Doomheim
#1 - 2011-09-21 11:23:36 UTC
After several months of reading and reading and reading these forums, these devblogs, player blogs, Jita local...I've decided my joining was quite untimely. Not because of any diminished opportunities in the game or anything, but simply because someone in marketing may point to me as a number and say, "See?! There! We got a new player to stick around for a few months!"

So I'd just like to simply say: No. I was not drawn in by Incarna. I've simply played pretty much every other MMO out there, missed the initial start of Eve and decided I didn't want to play a game that had an inherent mechanics advantage (not skill advantage, thats a given) to veteran players that I could never catch up with.

What made me change my mind was the ever dwindling pool of creativity in the MMO world. They are all watering themselves down. The various WoW clones failed to differentiate themselves. The gameplay in most is the same WoW was in Vanilla...well, I'm sick of it. Even Rift (seriously if you don't like the genre you will hate it, so please just...don't start), as solid a contender as there has been, lacked lasting power, as it was simply Vanilla WoW 1.5.

The hardcore PvP, the completely player driven economy (now a bit bogged by PLEX, whether you want to admit it or not...maybe its not so obvious? This comes up in all the F2P games quite blatantly, and it is here. Surprise subscription!), and some encouragement from friends that even a few weeks old char with friends can take out most bigger ships were what finally brought me back to Eve after tinkering with the beta.

TLDR: Incarna didn't bring me here, game mechanics did.
The Apostle
Doomheim
#2 - 2011-09-21 12:16:32 UTC
As the unoffical, self-appointed welcomer of new people, I hereby welcome you to Eve and hope you enjoy your stay.

It will be a hard stay. You will be tested, poked, prodded, podded, scammed, killed, yelled at and abused. You will lose money, you will lose sleep....

It will be a hard stay, but it will be a long stay.

Enjoy. o/

[i]Take an aspirin. If pain persists consult your local priest. WTB: An Austrian kangaroo![/i]

Meryl SinGarda
Belligerent Underpaid Tactical Team
#3 - 2011-09-21 12:17:49 UTC
Welcome, and may I say, I share your dissatisfaction with the "other" MMOs of today. There are too many orcs and elves in the world. What we need is more Space.
CCP Fallout
C C P
C C P Alliance
#4 - 2011-09-21 12:18:11 UTC
I have cleaned this thread of off-topic trolling. Please stay on topic, refrain from trolling, and be sure to follow the rules :D

CCP Fallout Associate Community Manager EVE Online @ccp_fallout

Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#5 - 2011-09-21 12:43:07 UTC
I wouldnt worry about Incarna, I believe that CCP are starting to take on board their mistakes and are beginning to deal with them.

As soon as it is optional (hangar as opposed to the door), people can get on with 'flying in space' while incarna and Walking in stations is develped around them.

Once it's all fully realized, I imagine it will be a good addition to Eve as a whole, but best to ignore it for now and get on with the serious business that is internet spaceships.

Just hope that CCP can balance the development of Spaceships and WIS together without neglecting the wishes of the player community!

Welcome to Eve! I hope you have fun.....
Fly Safe!

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#6 - 2011-09-21 12:45:43 UTC
Incarna is now classified as a SIDE GAME.

See, we can get our way if we whine loud and often enough :)

non judgement
Without Fear
Flying Burning Ships Alliance
#7 - 2011-09-21 13:30:23 UTC  |  Edited by: non judgement
try your best to ignore the "spinning ships and the door that you see if you turn off cq" stuff that people will talk about.
They are just a catalyst for some players.
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#8 - 2011-09-21 13:46:54 UTC
CCP just admitted they cannot fix the overheating in Incarna by making it optional going forward. Before it would have been mandatory.

Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#9 - 2011-09-21 13:51:34 UTC
Miilla wrote:
CCP just admitted they cannot fix the overheating in Incarna by making it optional going forward. Before it would have been mandatory.

Maybe they realized that 'Mandatory' has no place in a sandbox game..... maybe!

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#10 - 2011-09-21 13:53:25 UTC
Jint Hikaru wrote:
Miilla wrote:

Maybe they realized that 'Mandatory' has no place in a sandbox game..... maybe!

Doubt it, that requires actual thinking about the game.