These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New Noob Ships - care to rate them?

Author
Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#41 - 2012-02-23 23:32:12 UTC
Solhild
Doomheim
#42 - 2012-02-24 06:24:00 UTC
Three out of four isn't bad - the textures and detail on the Reaper are great, unfortunately applied to a daft structure.

Looking closer on SISI, at least I worked out that if could be drastically saved. Place a plane of symmetry down the centre of the fuselage, delete the starboard confusion and reflect the port side to make a symmetrical ship. This would become one of the best design in the game. Any 3D artists want to try? Big smile
Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#43 - 2012-02-24 06:44:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Roll Sizzle Beef
Solhild wrote:
Three out of four isn't bad - the textures and detail on the Reaper are great, unfortunately applied to a daft structure.

Looking closer on SISI, at least I worked out that if could be drastically saved. Place a plane of symmetry down the centre of the fuselage, delete the starboard confusion and reflect the port side to make a symmetrical ship. This would become one of the best design in the game. Any 3D artists want to try? Big smile

You mean like this?
just makes sense coming from a race with only 2 unsymmetrical ship hulls. Probe and Burst. Burst needing major help as well.
Johnny Marzetti
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#44 - 2012-02-24 17:00:25 UTC
Roll Sizzle Beef wrote:

You mean like this?
just makes sense coming from a race with only 2 unsymmetrical ship hulls. Probe and Burst. Burst needing major help as well.

Hey, that looks pretty cool. And even the new CCP one is an improvement over the current Reaper, which looks like a garbage barge that's been set on fire by homeless people to keep warm. Has anyone noticed that the Minmatar shuttle is actually pretty cool looking? I'd never even gotten into a shuttle until I found one floating somewhere and I was amazed at how much better it looked than half the Minmatar frigates (though definitely not the Rifter, which is the best looking ship in the whole game sorry if you like something else).

To people saying the noob ships don't matter because they'll get into another ship after a few hours, um, have you looked at a Reaper for more than an hour? It actually looks like it smells bad. It's not unreasonable to think that some people might decide to get out of that ship and into a better game before they get handed their next ship (a Burst? a Slasher? a Probe? lol). Noob ships should be some of the best looking ships in the game.

Once you're to the point where you're flying more powerful ships it really doesn't matter quite as much if it looks like a pile of scrap metal, a weird human head thing, a silver plated pile of poop, or a half-finished Ikea desk lamp.
Kiandoshia
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#45 - 2012-02-24 17:05:12 UTC
Don't really like the looks tbh. Looks too.. idk.. smooth?

The Reaper doesn't have scaffolding sticking out of it anymore =(
Solhild
Doomheim
#46 - 2012-02-24 23:23:12 UTC
Roll Sizzle Beef wrote:
Solhild wrote:

You mean like this?

You are my new Internet hero, that looks great Smile
Gogela
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#47 - 2012-02-25 00:30:13 UTC
1 Impairor - 6/10 The phrase "hubcaps on a tractor" sprang to mind...
2 Ibis 9/10 - Looks great! Very Caldari
3 Velator 10/10 - Asymetric micro catalyst, my fav newb ship!
4 Reaper 8/10 - +2 for the upgrade from the old one, -1 for it looking too good for matari junk

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Sprite Can
#48 - 2012-02-25 00:34:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Sprite Can
Ibis: 9/10
Impairor: 7/10
Reaper: 7/10
Velator: 0/10 - I would fire the person who came up with this.

Refreshing Lemon-Lime~

Eve Mione
Eve Industry Unlimited
#49 - 2012-02-25 03:51:34 UTC
Ibis: 10/10 - Genuinely a nice new look. T3'd almost in appearance.
Impairor: 9/10 - Simply a upgrade in textures V3'd by the looks, was a good design to begin with.
Reaper: 6/10 - It is a slight step up from the original but also lacks the, original flavour.
Velator: 3/10 - Seems to lack the same amount of revamp love as the Ibis. Ibis became symmetrical. I'm not asking for a complete symmetrical ship here but at least extend the wing with the bridge on it a bit and make it a tad more curvy.
Harold Tuphlos
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#50 - 2012-02-25 04:11:35 UTC
Don't really care about most of them, so no real opinion on the amarr, gallente, or caldari. But the reaper gets a -10/10, the reaper as it is now is an absolutely beautiful trash heap, but the remake turns it into a shiny blob. It goes from THE minmatar rust and duct tape ship to a shiny T2 ship that doesn't look like it got pulled out of the junkyard and given to you. These ships are free, and the reaper fits that. Evil
Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#51 - 2012-02-25 05:14:53 UTC
0/10 on all of them. Epic miss management of resources going on here CCP...

How about instead of wasting hundreds of collective hours on t3 looking rookie ships you get rid of the many texture seams still present in your so called "v3" ships and stop embarrassing yourselves...

Btw if you disagree with my point you're one or both of two distinct types of people. First type being Noobs who obviously don't matter, second type being drooling mouth breathers who again obviously don't matter.

Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#52 - 2012-02-25 05:42:40 UTC
Jerick Ludhowe wrote:

How about instead of wasting hundreds of collective hours on t3 looking rookie ships you get rid of the many texture seams still present in your so called "v3" ships and stop embarrassing yourselves...

Btw if you disagree with my point you're one or both of two distinct types of people. First type being Noobs who obviously don't matter, second type being drooling mouth breathers who again obviously don't matter.

You're an idiot.

If you disagree with my point, you're an idiot.

Katrina Oniseki

Johnny Marzetti
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#53 - 2012-02-25 19:23:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Johnny Marzetti
Jerick Ludhowe wrote:

You look like a hilarious badposter so I'll spell it out for you just to see what happens.

Your future enjoyment of Eve Online depends on the financial success of Eve Online in the real world where people pay for game subscriptions, because if it doesn't make money CCP will put their efforts into something that does or go out of business.

The financial success of Eve Online depends on expanding the player base, i.e., increasing the number of subscriptions. While veteran players do often buy additional accounts, veteran players also leave the game from time to time, or find ways to pay for their accounts with PLEX. In short, Eve needs noobs.

New players who sign up for a trial account are more likely to want to continue playing this game if the first ship they see up close looks pretty cool, rather than looking like a dentist's chair, a broken faucet, a gold plated beak, or a circuit board that somebody stepped on.

Now, Mr. Elite Spaceman Guy, if you think noobs don't matter to an MMO then you obviously don't understand that this thing you do only exists because someone thinks it will make them some money, and that you are not in fact a recruit in the Icelandic government's internet space program.

CCP has demonstrated numerous times that it's pretty clueless about what its customer base actually wants, and so since we really don't want to see CCP fail, it's a good idea to actually give them input on things like that.
Cpt Syrinx
Jovian Labs
Jovian Enterprises
#54 - 2012-02-25 19:46:39 UTC
ibis - very nice update, microtengu! liking the typical complexifying treatment that the caldari new models are getting - 8/10
reaper - what are you lot on about? its freaking horizontal man! we need more horizontal ships - 7/10
impairor - hasn't changed much, like the beatle shell thing it always had going on, but where is that amarr majesty it was always missing? - 6/10
velator - still looks like a fly swatted sideways in mid-air imo - 4/10
Mekhana
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2012-02-25 21:05:55 UTC
I hope to god the Velator isn't finished.

Vide longe er eros di Luminaire VII, uni canse pra krage e determiniex! Sange por Sange! Descanse bravex eros, mie freires. Mortir por vostre Liberete, farmilie, ide e amis. lons Proviste sen mort! Luminaire liber mas! 

Reaver Glitterstim
Dromedaworks inc
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#56 - 2012-02-25 23:32:48 UTC
I suspect the OP made this thread just to knock on the Reaper.

On a completely unrelated note, I always liked the original Reaper best but I think the greatest improvement they're making on any noobship is what they're doing with the Reaper.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Terazul
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2012-02-25 23:36:26 UTC
Roll Sizzle Beef wrote:

You mean like this?

DO WANT.

So good. I support this.
Solhild
Doomheim
#58 - 2012-02-25 23:38:51 UTC
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:
I suspect the OP made this thread just to knock on the Reaper.

On a completely unrelated note, I always liked the original Reaper best but I think the greatest improvement they're making on any noobship is what they're doing with the Reaper.

I'll agree it's an improvement, they all are - I'm most interested in the new art direction they imply. From a Minmatar perspective, it would be very difficult to avoid improving the designs of some ships. Can't wait to see what happens to the Gallente Dominix when the model is updated Smile
JamesCLK
#59 - 2012-02-26 00:16:16 UTC  |  Edited by: JamesCLK
Roll Sizzle Beef wrote:

You mean like this?

I'm pretty darn sure Minmatar have a lot more than two asymmetric ship hulls; the Typhoon, Tempest and even the Tornado are asymmetric to some extent.

Symmetry is for Amarrian dogs; Gallente know best.

As for ratings...
  • Ibis: Anything is better than the old one; this is more than better. I like the idea of wings that retract during warp too.
  • Velator: There wasn't much wrong with the old design besides it being a mess; the new design is much much more eyepleasing and clean - I'm intrigued about the launcher hardpoint too!
  • Impairor: It's not obvious at first glance, but a lot of detailwork was added compared to the old ship which featured the most cardboard-box looking engines since the Augoror hull. The new look is like a high-performance engine under an older -- classic -- Amarrian shell - and I love it.
  • Reaper: Something about it rubs me the wrong way. It's not bad by any means, but it might not be excellent either.

I can't help but think we'll see a lot more Amarr/Caldari toons in the future...

EDIT: updated with 3rd party screenshots on SiSi [source].

-- -.-- / -.-. .-.. --- -. . / .. ... / - --- --- / . -..- .--. . -. ... .. ...- . / - --- / ..- -. -.. --- -.-. -.- / ... - --- .--. / .--. .-.. . .- ... . / ... . -. -.. / .... . .-.. .--. / ... - --- .--.

Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#60 - 2012-02-26 00:53:45 UTC
JamesCLK wrote:

I'm pretty darn sure Minmatar have a lot more than two asymmetric ship hulls; the Typhoon, Tempest and even the Tornado are asymmetric to some extent; in fact, it's hard to think of any really symmetric ships in the matari lineup besides maybe the Hurricane or Rifter!.

I'll give you the Tempest flat out. I tend to just think of it as a vertical hull. And if you want to argue symmetry to a pure degree, nothing in eve tends to be symmetrical. Lighting or texture is usually different somehow. Yet when the vast majority of the hull is mirrored and carries its weight evenly. I pretty much call that symmetrical.
Yet its not just having the same parts on either side,
Typhoon its pretty asymmetrical, but has a lot of bulk in its main barrel shape, but its doo-dads are pretty evenly weighted at a 45 degree plane between the front and the rear.
How about some more pure symmetrical base hulls, lets say like 95% hull mirrored, random bridge neck is negligible.
Ragnarok
Hel
Nidhoggur
Naglfar
Fenrir
Maelstrom
Cyclone
Hurricane
Tornado
Bellicose
Rupture
Scythe