These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Bioware; Angry Gamers Call Her a "Cancer"

First post
Author
2bhammered
Cyberpunk 2077
#1 - 2012-02-22 19:33:28 UTC
http://kotaku.com/5886674/bioware-writer-describes-her-gaming-tastes-angry-gamers-call-her-a-cancer?tag=jenniferhepler

The cause of this uproar appears to have been a question about least favorite thing about working in the gaming industry was. Her answer: "Playing the games."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li4indfogkU&list=UUliFIp2_QLnTnfYQei75nfw&index=3&feature=plcp

(her picture)

we should note that Hepler herself has responded with some fire of her own, Tweeting on Saturday, "I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either."

http://kotaku.com/5887064/biowares-boss-defends-harassed-writer?tag=jenniferhepler

Bioware today? http://youtu.be/WwEJfr3NAQA

Latest game DA2 failed and now SWTOR AKA TORTANIC that has sunk with an active campaign to refuse to buy ME3, has Bioware become the next in line to die at the hands of EA as so many other great studios has done in the past?

Is there a studio left at EA making "good" games?

Still, before I lose track of the point with this thread, how the frack can Hepler keep this job or get it in the first place?

Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-02-22 19:44:53 UTC
Oh look another internet boycott, I am sure it will be as successful as all the others.
2bhammered
Cyberpunk 2077
#3 - 2012-02-22 19:50:01 UTC
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Oh look another internet boycott, I am sure it will be as successful as all the others.

ENGLISH M*F*, DO YOU SPEAK IT???Shocked
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-02-22 19:52:38 UTC
NO CAPS LOCK I SPEAK THAT!

(Try italics instead, makes you look a little less like an assburger badposter)

P.S.

The forum has other useful functions like edit buttons, those come in handy from time to time also.
2bhammered
Cyberpunk 2077
#5 - 2012-02-22 19:56:29 UTC
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
NO CAPS LOCK I SPEAK THAT!

(Try italics instead, makes you look a little less like an assburger badposter)

P.S.

The forum has other useful functions like edit buttons, those come in handy from time to time also.

Straight

Crack kills!
Alara IonStorm
#6 - 2012-02-22 20:23:34 UTC
2bhammered wrote:
http://kotaku.com/5886674/bioware-writer-describes-her-gaming-tastes-angry-gamers-call-her-a-cancer?tag=jenniferhepler

The cause of this uproar appears to have been a question about least favorite thing about working in the gaming industry was. Her answer: "Playing the games."

Wow miss the point of the Article much...
Quote:
The cause of this uproar appears to have been her response to a question about what her least favorite thing about working in the gaming industry was. Her answer: "Playing the games." The original Reddit post featured a heavily edited version of the interview, which subtracted the fact that Hepler is expecting a child in the coming months, and therefore has a minimal amount of time to dedicate to gaming. She also mentioned that she finds it difficult to get immersed in a game that is not complemented by a good story: "While I enjoy the interactive aspects of gaming, if a game doesn't have a good story, it's very hard for me to get interested in playing it."

Oh no she puts her children before gaming and like novels does not enjoy video games outside her preferred genre.

Clearly a Monster.
2bhammered wrote:

Still, before I lose track of the point with this thread, how the frack can Hepler keep this job or get it in the first place?

By ignoring the whining of no-lifers. She has not really done anything wrong except be the target of a ton of nerd rage.
Merin Ryskin
Peregrine Industries
#7 - 2012-02-22 20:24:25 UTC
2bhammered wrote:

Because writing talent does not require gaming talent.

TL,DR: immature fanboys don't understand how the real world works, act immature.
2bhammered
Cyberpunk 2077
#8 - 2012-02-22 20:27:23 UTC
Merin Ryskin wrote:
2bhammered wrote:

Because writing talent does not require gaming talent.

TL,DR: immature fanboys don't understand how the real world works, act immature.

But I have yet to see a single example of her "talent".
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-02-22 20:32:13 UTC
The worst part off all this is the assburger posters like the OP pulled a five year old quote in the attempt to justify their rage.
2bhammered
Cyberpunk 2077
#10 - 2012-02-22 20:41:08 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:

By ignoring the whining of no-lifers. She has not really done anything wrong except be the target of a ton of nerd rage.

"I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either."

Yeah.... nothing wrong... hmm

Great PR, coupled with her alienating fans, horrible public image and this http://youtu.be/hMcVZQI6ybw?t=33s

How well did DA2 do? Amazing writing Lol

Now Biowares best writer left, http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/17/bioware-lead-writer-drew-karpyshyn-leaves-bioware/

But at least "He cites Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 as proof that "BioWare can get along just fine without me."

Well DA2 was a massive failure, Hepler had a part in that?! ME3, time will tell or just google the spoilers.
2bhammered
Cyberpunk 2077
#11 - 2012-02-22 20:43:14 UTC
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
The worst part off all this is the assburger posters like the OP pulled a five year old quote in the attempt to justify their rage.

Seriously, crack kills, you should stop using itBlink
Merin Ryskin
Peregrine Industries
#12 - 2012-02-22 20:48:33 UTC
2bhammered wrote:

Fine, then argue that she's a bad writer (without the personal insults). However, that has nothing to do with the incredibly stupid claim that her lack of gaming skills means anything.

2bhammered wrote:
"I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either."

The truth hurts, doesn't it?

Quote:

Actually I really liked DA2.

(And yes, I enjoyed killing stuff as well as the story.)
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-02-22 20:48:55 UTC
2bhammered wrote:
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:

Seriously, crack kills, you should stop using itBlink

AT LEAST I HAVE A BRAIN TO GET ADDLED BY CRACK IN THE FIRST PLACE, UNLIKE YOU LOLOLOL.
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Top Belt for Fun
#14 - 2012-02-22 20:54:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Liang Nuren
Merin Ryskin wrote:
2bhammered wrote:

Fine, then argue that she's a bad writer (without the personal insults). However, that has nothing to do with the incredibly stupid claim that her lack of gaming skills means anything.

2bhammered wrote:

Quote:

The story for DA2 was actually really good. I just didn't like what they did to the fighting mechanics.

-Liang

Ed: Also, this is a disgrace and it should make everyone involved ashamed.

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

2bhammered
Cyberpunk 2077
#15 - 2012-02-22 20:55:51 UTC
Merin Ryskin wrote:

Well I can do that but this thread is about her being a "cancer"Lol Well, the fact that it has gotten this much attention is why I made the thread, I find it funny and not surprising but her reply sure is priceless. Like ding dong bannu end of rhine worthy Lol

Merin Ryskin wrote:

Not really, I got pussy and I enjoy my work, perhaps those at reddit and stuff are jealous? But meh, if that was the case then better developers would be targeted.

Merin Ryskin wrote:

Did you type that with a straight face? Because I have never seen anyone say that about DA2 with a straight face beforeCool

Alpheias
The Khaleph
#16 - 2012-02-22 20:58:00 UTC
Another embarrassing and stunningly stupid move by gamers. Well done!

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Alara IonStorm
#17 - 2012-02-22 20:58:22 UTC
2bhammered wrote:

Perhaps they should not take a years old quote about the lack of time her motherhood has afforded her for gaming and misrepresent it. You know what that sounds like, that sounds like a bunch of people who are jealous that she gets to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either.

2bhammered wrote:

But at least "He cites Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 as proof that "BioWare can get along just fine without me."

Well DA2 was a massive failure, Hepler had a part in that?! ME3, time will tell or just google the spoilers.

Massive no, not a massive hit but definitely not a massive failure. Even then you have no idea what parts of the story she has worked on. Could be all the good parts but you are quick to judge with no facts.
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Noctis
Shoot First.
#18 - 2012-02-22 21:00:23 UTC  |  Edited by: FloppieTheBanjoClown
HOW DARE SHE EXPRESS AN OPINION THAT DIFFERS FROM MINE! Roll

I'm not exactly sure why you'd play a game if you skipped all the parts where you actually play. If you don't like combat games, play puzzle games. But if she really just wants to watch all the Final Fantasy cutscenes in order with a page of connecting text in between, I'm sure that could be arranged without her actually having to play the game at all. She has an opinion on what she thinks makes a good game, and *gasp* it's not the same as other gamers.

In other news, I dislike StarCraft (as compared with other, better RTS). OH NOES.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Alpheias
The Khaleph
#19 - 2012-02-22 21:03:54 UTC
2bhammered wrote:

Merin Ryskin wrote:

Did you type that with a straight face? Because I have never seen anyone say that about DA2 with a straight face beforeCool

I enjoyed DA2 as well, despite its flaws, it was a pretty good game. DA:O has its flaws too, but I haven't seen anyone complain about them with a straight face.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Merin Ryskin
Peregrine Industries
#20 - 2012-02-22 21:04:48 UTC
2bhammered wrote:
Well I can do that but this thread is about her being a "cancer"Lol Well, the fact that it has gotten this much attention is why I made the thread, I find it funny and not surprising but her reply sure is priceless. Like ding dong bannu end of rhine worthy Lol

Exactly my point. Instead of legitimate criticism, all we have is immature fanboys whining and crying because the real world doesn't work like they wish it did.

Like it or not, anyone who calls her a "cancer" over this is an ignorant child who is accomplishing nothing more than giving gamers a bad name.

Quote:
Not really, I got ***** and I enjoy my work, perhaps those at reddit and stuff are jealous? But meh, if that was the case then better developers would be targeted.

No "perhaps" about it, this is exactly the kind of behavior we see over and over again from immature fanboys. They don't know how to deal with women (or their own lack of success in that area), they don't have their dream job as a game developer (which is nothing like real game development), and they don't have the social skills to criticize something without resorting to personal attacks.

In short, they're jealous of the fact that the job they want went to someone who isn't one of them, and it's just insult to injury that it's a woman.

Quote:
Did you type that with a straight face? Because I have never seen anyone say that about DA2 with a straight face before

How shocking, people actually have different tastes in games.
123Next pageLast page