These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Seriously WTF CCP?

First post
Author
Zombatar
Vectors of Virtue
#1 - 2011-09-20 20:05:03 UTC
I opened EVE this morning to change my skills, then logged off and left home while my laptop still had the client running with the log in page.

I come back a few hours later to find my laptop BURNING HOT all over simply because I left the EVE client log in page open.

Note: I did not leave open any other APP besides EVE client and my browser (had 3 blank tabs open) when I left.

Why does EVE burn my laptop on the freaking LOG IN PAGE? It usually gets hot only when I run 2 clients and I actually play/do stuff.

There is something REALLY bad with this client, I don't remember having this issue pre-Incarna.

Anyway, on another note I usubbed all my accounts due to the constant FAIL since Incarna. This issue is just another reason. I think I am not the only one to have this problem. CCP said Incarna was a technical success. I beg to differ,it is a disaster.

Hope you guys fix this. EVE might still be worth while if you fix all this crap called Incarna.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#2 - 2011-09-20 20:08:57 UTC
You left a laptop on all day and wonder why it got toasty?
Tenchi Sal
White Knights of Equestria
#3 - 2011-09-20 20:10:20 UTC
did you leave your laptop on the bed or without a fan under neath? some people do that and are surprised when they come back and find their laptops dont turn back on.
Zirise
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2011-09-20 20:11:23 UTC
Man leaves his laptop running a game for extended period of time.

Man complains laptop gets too hot.

Man posts about it.

Zombatar
Vectors of Virtue
#5 - 2011-09-20 20:12:09 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
You left a laptop on all day and wonder why it got toasty?

I leave my laptop open many hours and the only time it gets remotely hot is when I play games, NOT when I have a client open on log in page... seriously. It is not my laptop to blame, I played EVE pre-Incarna and had no such issues on the same laptop... go figure.
Magnus Thara
Doomheim
#6 - 2011-09-20 20:13:13 UTC
Blaming CCP for being too dumb/lazy to turn off your own laptop?

priceless
Zombatar
Vectors of Virtue
#7 - 2011-09-20 20:14:53 UTC
Zirise wrote:

Man posts about it.

Read again, troll is troll.

---

@ Tenchi Sal

Nope it was on a desk, fan had enough space to suck in air. I never leave it on cloth or other similar stuff.

My question is that the client was clearly using my graphix card, and A LOT, fan at maximum, just for a damn log in page... something is definitely WRONG.
DeliciousHamBeast
The Elenianlightenment
#8 - 2011-09-20 20:15:27 UTC
The login screen has fancyness that's using your vid card, this fancyness will mean your vidcard is doing work and generating heat for hours... combined with the usual crappy laptop fans and dust... warmth! Check for dust, if there is none your laptop may be a harbinger of the apocalypse.

tl;dr: My laptop gets all hot and bothered too, but it's because the servers next to it are scantily clad (and it's sunny out).

-- Beep Beep Imma Jeep.

Zombatar
Vectors of Virtue
#9 - 2011-09-20 20:16:44 UTC
Magnus Thara wrote:
Blaming CCP for being too dumb/lazy to turn off your own laptop?

priceless

Ahaha... poor development and EVE client burning graphix cards?

Epic... Fail?
Nyio
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2011-09-20 20:17:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Nyio
Zirise wrote:

Man posts about it.

Hahaha

Sorry to hear about the laptop though, they will fix it Soon™

Edit: Dare one say, This thread is hot ? Roll
Zombatar
Vectors of Virtue
#11 - 2011-09-20 20:19:17 UTC
DeliciousHamBeast wrote:
The login screen has fancyness that's using your vid card, this fancyness will mean your vidcard is doing work and generating heat for hours... combined with the usual crappy laptop fans and dust... warmth! Check for dust, if there is none your laptop may be a harbinger of the apocalypse.

tl;dr: My laptop gets all hot and bothered too, but it's because the servers next to it are scantily clad (and it's sunny out).

You are right, my graphix card was running at max due to the log in page for some reason. But HOW/WHY does EVE client log in page use so much resources? Is there a option to turn this thing off, it might burn my laptop...
IHaveCandyGetInTheVan69
Crouching Woman Hidden Cucumber
#12 - 2011-09-20 20:20:01 UTC
While OPs post is a bit silly it's true the new client is awful especially on laptops, I litterally can't open it for more than 2 minutes as my laptop gets so hot. This everything low and CQ off

I used to run a 24" monitor off the very same laptop running eve at high res, even in space and the laptop never overheated. Now I can't even look at a .jpg of a door without it melting.

Real Issue is Real, OP is still an idiot.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#13 - 2011-09-20 20:21:04 UTC
Zombatar wrote:
DeliciousHamBeast wrote:

You are right, my graphix card was running at max due to the log in page for some reason. But HOW/WHY does EVE client log in page use so much resources? Is there a option to turn this thing off, it might burn my laptop...

Yes, its called turning off your laptop before you go to work.
Zey Nadar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2011-09-20 20:22:12 UTC
I remember reading news once about a guy who used a laptop on his lap while naked and got his unmentionables burnt.
Froz3nEcho Sarain
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2011-09-20 20:23:51 UTC
Better cooling = problem solved.

Even with laptops.

[i]~ When everything fades away, an echo is the only sound that will remain ~   ~ Chaos is a name for any order that produces confusion in our minds ~[/i]

Magnus Thara
Doomheim
#16 - 2011-09-20 20:24:11 UTC
Zey Nadar wrote:
I remember reading news once about a guy who used a laptop on his lap while naked and got his unmentionables burnt.

I hear he plays eve......
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#17 - 2011-09-20 20:26:09 UTC
I just open the in-game map when I log on with my laptop, that takes care of everything since it unloads pretty much all gfx heavy resources and stuff - keeping it cool - and online.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Zombatar
Vectors of Virtue
#18 - 2011-09-20 20:26:33 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Zombatar wrote:
DeliciousHamBeast wrote:

Yes, its called turning off your laptop before you go to work.

I'm afraid you are deeply mistaken or just a fan boy?

Turning off my laptop will not solve the obvious problem we have here. The EVE client is very poorly optimized since Incarna. It literally burns laptops. I could have made eggs on it, that is how hot it was.

I can understand a hot laptop when I play EVE, but on a log in page? Seriously?
Zombatar
Vectors of Virtue
#19 - 2011-09-20 20:29:19 UTC
Chribba wrote:
I just open the in-game map when I log on with my laptop, that takes care of everything since it unloads pretty much all gfx heavy resources and stuff - keeping it cool - and online.

/c

Good tip, thx.

However I think we should not change our gameplay experience to compensate for bad development, instead we should raise awareness and get such problems fixed.
Dan Aldeland
Doomheim
#20 - 2011-09-20 20:29:53 UTC
Don't listen to the "you broke your own stuff" crowd..apparently you didn't see the forums at Incarna release where dozens of laptops fried. I run mine sitting up on a metal grate to insure air circulation and it burnt up.
An M-Tech gaming laptop , i had to buy a new 9800m graphics card - which you can't buy in USA. (Ebay rescued me for $300)

If you have no choice but to run eve on a laptop..take it apart and clean the dust out of graphics card fins. Normal cleaning will not prevent dust bunnies in notebooks.

I personally uninstalled eve from notebook.
123Next pageLast page