These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Battleship Variant- The Minmatar Juggernaut

Author
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#1 - 2012-02-20 18:36:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Nikk Narrel
Ok, here is a strange idea that might be fun.

Keep in mind, It is like one of the concept cars you might see at an auto show, and it is pretty obviously never going to happen the way things are now.

We don't have ship collision with current mechanics, and that is the big show stopper.

This is simply a peek at what is possible if they did allow that collision element.

It is a battleship with no guns or missiles. It is the weapon, using ramming as the means of crushing enemies.

For those wanting a quick summary:
An interceptor battleship noone wants to catch them.

Role Bonus 80% reduction in Propulsion Jamming systems activation cost.
Battleship skill: 15% bonus to Armor HP per level
Requires Juggernaut skill: 15% reduction in MicroWarpdrive signature radius penalty and 10% bonus to speed per level

Minmatar feels like the likely maker for this boat.

Interceptor Battleship
Minmatar Juggernaut

Low Slots 5
Med Slots 6
High Slots 7

Turret / Launcher HardPoints 0
Rig slots 2
Rig size large

CPU 650 tf
Powergrid 8,000 MW

Drone capacity 75 m3
Drone Bandwidth 75 Mbit/sec

Cargo capacity 200 m3

Armor: 7,000
Resistances:
EM: 70%
Explosive: 10%
Kinetic: 25%
Thermal: 45%

Shield: 7,500
Resistances:
EM: 25%
Explosive: 50%
Kinetic: 40%
Thermal: 30%

Structure: 7,500

Maximum targeting range: 75,000M
Max locked targets 2

Propulsion 300 m/sec
Ship warp speed 6.0 AU/S

NOTES:
This ship sacrifices the hardpoints normally used for it's guns, in order to reinforce it's own structure and armor for the purposes of ramming into targets.

The process works like this:
1. Propulsion jamming takes place, not necessary for damage, but reduces transverse mitigation
2. Ship charges the target at best possible speed. Ramming speed fits as a description.
3. Shield cancellation: the remaining value of the juggernaut's shields is deducted from the defender's ship on contact. Any shields remaining on Juggernaut are ignored for damage, but if defender's ship has shields remaining, they are counted with the armor's totals.
4. Damage applied from total modified armor present on Juggernaut, against total remaining armor and shields on target. First remaining shields are counted, then whatever is left goes against armor.
5. If both shields and armor on target are lost, structure takes damage at 200% damage value from combined armor and structure of the juggernaut, armor being counted first. (This means the Juggernauts remaining values have double value, and as a result may give a value that is higher than max structure of target, EVEN if target was off center)
6. Whichever ship has structure left survives.

Off center describes the sig radius of the target ship to be outside the sig radius of the juggernaut by the described percentage.
Note: if the target ship is off center, then for every percentage off center an equal percentage of that ship will not be involved. (10% off center would mean that ship does not count 10% of it's shields armor and structure, but those amounts won't be lost if the target survives)

The Marauder class had long been admired for it's durable design, and defensive capabilities.

One night after a good bout of drinking, the engineering team accidentally deleted the offensive design aspects on a schematic copy. Rather than scrap it though, they researched what was possible defensively with it. They determined it could be nearly indestructable, compared to existing battleships, beyond even the marauder class itself.

They were about to discard the idea for lack of offensive potential, when one of them made the comment, "Too bad it can't just ram itself into them..."
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#2 - 2012-02-20 18:49:59 UTC
INB4 mxzf posts a quote on creating something because it would be awesome, rather than it serving a purpose.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#3 - 2012-02-20 18:54:39 UTC  |  Edited by: mxzf
o.O Why do you keep posting horrible ideas?

How on earth could this be considered even remotely a non-horrible idea, much less a good idea?

And besides how horrible this would be for Eve, there's the technical details of the fact that Eve's collision engine wouldn't support something like this. Also, I would laugh so hard I fell off my chair the first time that one of these gets stopped by a drone or a couple frigs or cruisers who jump in front of this to take the bullet for a bigger ship, lol.

tl;dr: NO!

Edit:
Simi Kusoni wrote:
INB4 mxzf posts a quote on creating something because it would be awesome, rather than it serving a purpose.

Honestly, this idea doesn't even sound awesome or cool, it just sounds just something that would ruin a ton of gameplay for no reason at all. That is always true though, "it sounds cool/awesome" is never a reason to have something in the game; this idea doesn't even get that far though.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#4 - 2012-02-20 18:55:25 UTC
Simi Kusoni wrote:

LOL

Actually, I don't think this would be entirely practical. It is like one of the concept cars you might see at an auto show, and it is pretty obviously never going to happen the way things are now.

We don't have ship collision with current mechanics, and that is the big show stopper.

This is simply a peek at what is possible if they did allow that collision element.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#5 - 2012-02-20 19:00:12 UTC
mxzf wrote:
]Also, I would laugh so hard I fell off my chair the first time that one of these gets stopped by a drone or a couple frigs or cruisers who jump in front of this to take the bullet for a bigger ship, lol.

I took the base design off the Marauder, like the small section at the bottom explains.

I am not pretending it is possible, as previously stated, since it would require severe changes.

Think of it more as a WHAT IF concept.
Jenshae Chiroptera
#6 - 2012-02-20 19:25:56 UTC
Griefing and ganking. This ship would require new aggression mechanics. It would also be useless against a whole range of cruisers and frigates that would just orbit and kite it.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Tidurious
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-02-20 19:47:18 UTC
Regardless of any potential 'awesomeness' or not, this won't/can't work in EVE, for one major reason:

There exist right now no collision mechanics that allow one ship to hit another.

For this to happen, ALL ships would have to be allowed to hit one another, because how bullshit would it be if only ONE ship in the game could hit other ships?

Personally, I think that it would be hilarious to see someone accidentally not pay attention in their Rifter, run into a freighter, and pop instantly. However, that would require such an overhaul in code, game mechanics, and actually playing the game that it would be game-wrecking.
Xolve
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-02-20 20:53:16 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

I'm sure I'd laugh my face off at the first idiot to miss a bump, ram into the station, and get concorded.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#9 - 2012-02-20 21:38:56 UTC
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Griefing and ganking. This ship would require new aggression mechanics. It would also be useless against a whole range of cruisers and frigates that would just orbit and kite it.

That is where it could become interesting.

This ship is designed to catch things. It only relies partially on speed.

Those 6 mid slots can have your heart's delight for webifiers, scramblers, all sorts of fun things.