These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

EVE Achievements

Author
NiGhTTraX
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-02-18 18:35:56 UTC
Everyone of us has had that moment in EVE that made them get out of their chair, look in a general direction and yell **** YEAH. Whether it was volleying a cocky cov-ops with your arty cane or pointed that 2 bil tengu until your friends came and started to ransom it.

EVE is about those moments. They might be of small proportions and have meaning only for you, or they can be of epic proportions and affect an entire region. But knowing how awesome you are is just not enough, you gotta prove it so that anyone who sees you in local chat will know how awesome you are and offer you gifts so you don’t kill them with your awesome ray. How awesome is that?!

So, I give to you, EVE Achievements!

Unlike medals, which must be created by your CEO and then assigned to you, achievements will be created by CCP and be given out to players automatically when certain conditions are met.

When a player receives an achievement, a message is broadcasted in local and corp chat, letting everyone know how awesome you are. Something like:

NiGhTTraX has earned the achievement Chuck Norris.

written with pretty text like GMs can.

Also, the achievements appear in the Decorations tab of your character sheet. Per achievement settings could limit their visibility towards corp/alliance/blue/any players. Furthermore, they should also appear on EVE Gate.

Now I don’t know how hard this would be, but integration with the Steam Works API would be nice so people playing EVE through Steam could also get the achievements in their Steam profile.

Each achievement could have a unique logo associated with it. Something simple but representative. A hulk for being able to fly a hulk. A hulk ripped in two for killing a hulk. A hulk and a wrench for building a hulk. etc.


Here are some examples of achievements:

Quote:
First Blood
Blood flows over the bulkheads as your first kill becomes a fact.

This achievement will be awarded when you get your first player kill. You should be the one who lays the final blow.


Quote:
Full House (34/100)
Fly every ship in EVE

You get this achievement by training and flying each and every ship available in EVE. The number in the parenthesis indicate your current progress, e.g. how many ships you’ve flown so far. If new ships are introduced in the mean time, the achievement can be reset and awarded again once the pilot flies the new ships (he doesn’t have to re-fly every ship, just the new ones).


Quote:
Against all odds
Survive damage from 5 enemies.

You have to take damage from 5 different players and not get blown up. Doesn’t matter if you kill them or just warp off, it’s a victory nonetheless. This can later be expanded to greater numbers.


Quote:
Dizzy (1234/10000)
Spin your ship 10k times.

I know some of you would get this achievement in a matter of minutes.



Quote:
Chuck Norris (99/100)
Kill every ship there is. Twice. In a rookie ship.

Just an example of an incredibly hard to get achievement. Nonetheless, I'm sure lots of players will like to get it. Com on, say you don't like the idea. I dare you.



Other achievements could include joining/owning a corp/alliance, have outstanding market orders in value exceeding 10 bil, participating in incursions, mining every ore, visiting every system in the game (I know one person who did this, I'm sure he'd like a pretty achievement to prove it) etc.


Now what will these achivements bring to the game? Besides being awesome and a means of proving yourself to New Eden, they are a reason to keep playing the game. Players will grind achievements and will put themselves in more dangerous situations to try and earn achievements. Think of what will a ‘kill someone in 0.0’ achievement do; a hoard of players will go to null sec and start killing everything in their path for that one achievement. Can I hear an ‘ISK sink’?

Moreover, having a list in game with all the achievements, separated by category, will show both new and older players the endless possibilities in EVE. How many times have you logged and had nothing to do but update your training queue and spin your ships a couple of dozen times? Now, you could open that list, pick an achievement and go earn it.

Having played games like Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike: Source and others on Steam, you realize that gaining achievements become itself a purpose. So for all of you out there that don’t have anything left to do in EVE, try becoming the person with the most achievements in the game. That should keep you busy. And I’m sure that a lot of players would become achievement hunters and do nothing else than log everyday and try to earn that darn achievement they’ve been trying for days. More good news for everyone. You’ll see more enthusiastic players getting blown up in their desperate efforts to survive damage from 5 players and earn the ‘Against all odds’ achievements. More players will discover lowsec and null to gain the achievements for those categories. More pew pew, more exploration, more ships getting blown up. All of that has to be good.

Also, this will be an incentive for veterans to re-do all the basic tasks to gain achievements for them. I know that deep down you miss mining in a Bantam and shooting rats in belts. No one believes you anymore that you killed that B.o.B. titan? Well, go find yourself a new titan and blow it up.

If you're gonna post here thinking your idea is the greatest thing since bacon and that it will save EVE and possibly all humankind with it, you're gonna have a bad time.

NiGhTTraX
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-02-18 18:36:09 UTC
Milestones - Achievements, part 2

Milestones are like regular achievements, but to earn them you have to earn a number of achievements. They are per category and are triggered when a fixed number of achievements from that category are earned.

The only difference here is that milestones reward you with items. Nothing game breaking or very expensive. For instance, let’s consider the category Amarr. Milestone 1 could reward you with a set of small faction crystals. Milestone 2 and 3 would reward you with the medium and large variants. Further milestones could give you faction frigates or even small T2 ships for that matter, so as to not flood the faction market. I think that small rewards in the form of the CCP x-mas gifts would suffice and not bring any imbalance.

This would be a way of rewarding players that actually play the game and not just farm ISK. And there’s nothing that says thank you for playing the game like a limited edition Quafe shirt for those hundreds of achievements you earned.



TL;DR: I believe that adding achievements to the game will greatly improve the experience a player has, by rewarding active play and the will to explore the sandbox.

If you're gonna post here thinking your idea is the greatest thing since bacon and that it will save EVE and possibly all humankind with it, you're gonna have a bad time.

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#3 - 2012-02-18 18:37:55 UTC
I think you've been playing too much TF2 ...
NiGhTTraX
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-02-18 18:39:10 UTC  |  Edited by: NiGhTTraX
mxzf wrote:
I think you've been playing too much TF2 ...


Maybe :D

Truth is, a lot of people play TF2 for the achievements. And a lot of people are quitting EVE because they ran out of reasons to play the game. Well, here's a new one.

If you're gonna post here thinking your idea is the greatest thing since bacon and that it will save EVE and possibly all humankind with it, you're gonna have a bad time.

Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#5 - 2012-02-18 18:52:38 UTC
So they'd only play EVE for cheap trinkets like achievements? Such a loss to the game, however will we do without them?

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

NiGhTTraX
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#6 - 2012-02-18 18:58:08 UTC
Serge Bastana wrote:
So they'd only play EVE for cheap trinkets like achievements? Such a loss to the game, however will we do without them?


If that's their reason for playing the game than so be it. It doesn't hurt CCP and it doesn't hurt you. Moreover, the abundance of players trying to grind achievements might benefit you.

If you're gonna post here thinking your idea is the greatest thing since bacon and that it will save EVE and possibly all humankind with it, you're gonna have a bad time.

killorbekilled TBE
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-02-18 20:47:50 UTC
ill be honest i was thinking about this too and think it would be an really good idea. ok fair enough it wont be everyone's cup of tea but i think this could be good for the game in terms of the bigger picture

the list of achievements could be endless and dont have to only be pvp focused there could be achievements that could be exclusive to certain missions if your into that sort of thing lols

but i wouldn't mind a badge of honor saying this pilot has killed 2k ships or something ya know?

:)

NiGhTTraX
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-02-19 09:38:15 UTC
killorbekilled TBE wrote:
ill be honest i was thinking about this too and think it would be an really good idea. ok fair enough it wont be everyone's cup of tea but i think this could be good for the game in terms of the bigger picture


Yes, not everyone will find them worth it, but they won't get in their way. Optionally, CCP could make a setting that hides broadcasts so you won't see other people earning achievement, or even yourself.

killorbekilled TBE wrote:

the list of achievements could be endless and dont have to only be pvp focused there could be achievements that could be exclusive to certain missions if your into that sort of thing lols


Yep, every profession should have its category of achievements.

killorbekilled TBE wrote:
but i wouldn't mind a badge of honor saying this pilot has killed 2k ships or something ya know?


That's the spirit!

If you're gonna post here thinking your idea is the greatest thing since bacon and that it will save EVE and possibly all humankind with it, you're gonna have a bad time.

YuuKnow
The Scope
#9 - 2012-02-19 10:17:49 UTC  |  Edited by: YuuKnow
I support this. However, there will need to be some sort of safeguard to insure no cheating. I can imagine a corporation buying many different ships and then allowing players to destroy them to get achievements... perhaps they need to be with a stipulation that the combat cannot be with one's own corp or alliance.

I'ld like to see some veteran rewards as well.

1 year old character: Choice of reward like Aura, implants, etc
3 year old character: 1 time skillpoint respec
5 year old character: Choice of Avatar headgear/helmet (Dust 514 style)
10 year old character: Upgraded captain's quarters (2 stories, with an interior station and exterior planetary view)
Lifetime character (a character that was born in the first 12 months of eve): A Imperial/Federation issue faction ship of the players choice
NiGhTTraX
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-02-19 10:49:48 UTC
YuuKnow wrote:
I support this. However, there will need to be some sort of safeguard to insure no cheating. I can imagine a corporation buying many different ships and then allowing players to destroy them to get achievements... perhaps they need to be with a stipulation that the combat cannot be with one's own corp or alliance.


It shouldn't be a problem. A player with many achievements has no more bonuses then one with less. If an alliance decides to invest in ships getting blown up for achievements, then it creates an ISK sink, which EVE really needs. So it's all for the good.

YuuKnow wrote:

I'ld like to see some veteran rewards as well.

1 year old character: Choice of reward like Aura, implants, etc
3 year old character: 1 time skillpoint respec
5 year old character: Choice of Avatar headgear/helmet (Dust 514 style)
10 year old character: Upgraded captain's quarters (2 stories, with an interior station and exterior planetary view)
Lifetime character (a character that was born in the first 12 months of eve): A Imperial/Federation issue faction ship of the players choice


These could be in the form of milestones (post 2). Age should not dictate awards, but actually achieving something. Of course, higher number of achievements will be correlated with players with more active play time.

If you're gonna post here thinking your idea is the greatest thing since bacon and that it will save EVE and possibly all humankind with it, you're gonna have a bad time.

Grumpy Owly
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2012-02-19 15:53:50 UTC
EvE is a sandbox with focus towards expertise and focussing activities for planned choices.

Why do you want to promote generalisation or motivators which afford no reason other than a random achievement.

Keep it real, promote choices and activities to have a point, not just a blind chaotic grind of "I did this cause it was a badge I needed" Roll
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#12 - 2012-02-19 16:04:47 UTC
YuuKnow wrote:
1 year old character: Choice of reward like Aura, implants, etc
3 year old character: 1 time skillpoint respec
5 year old character: Choice of Avatar headgear/helmet (Dust 514 style)
10 year old character: Upgraded captain's quarters (2 stories, with an interior station and exterior planetary view)
Lifetime character (a character that was born in the first 12 months of eve): A Imperial/Federation issue faction ship of the players choice


No reward, ever. Achievements, if they did get added into the game, should NEVER confer any in-game bonuses. Having stuff to do for your own personal checklist is one thing, but people should never gain an advantage through them. P2W is bad enough, but Grind2W is even more lame.
NiGhTTraX
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-02-19 17:50:39 UTC
Grumpy Owly wrote:
EvE is a sandbox with focus towards expertise and focussing activities for planned choices.

Why do you want to promote generalisation or motivators which afford no reason other than a random achievement.

Keep it real, promote choices and activities to have a point, not just a blind chaotic grind of "I did this cause it was a badge I needed" Roll


Having achievements in game will just show a player what he can achieve in the sandbox. Maybe even motivate him to chose a certain profession to do the achievements for it.

There is the debate that new player, but also veterans, see no interest in playing the game, because it's too hard, because they don't understand it etc. Imagine a new player just finishing the tutorial and a little thingy pops up and tells him he earned his first achievement. Then Aura instructs him about the achievements and soon the new player learns there are a gazillion things you can do in this game. Once choosing a certain achievement he then sets out to earn it. Along his path, he meets players trying to earn that same achievement, he joins a corp that helps in achievement farming etc.

While I believe that achievements would be a way to stimulate new players in exploring the sandbox, older players should find in them an incentive to relive the days when they were just discovering EVE.

Achievements should be made in such a way to promote the activities they represent, not just be some cheap bling on one's profile. Fleet achievements for example would promote team work and some of them should be very difficult to obtain. Think about incursions and how difficult they were at the beginning. But through team work, players have learned to blitz them and now everyone knows how to act in a fleet. Maybe achievements could so something similar. Think of an achievement that has to be earned by being in a fleet and butcher another fleet. People will train PvP to do this and they might get the taste of it and continue doing PvP regardless of achievements.

If you're gonna post here thinking your idea is the greatest thing since bacon and that it will save EVE and possibly all humankind with it, you're gonna have a bad time.

Grumpy Owly
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2012-02-19 17:59:28 UTC
NiGhTTraX wrote:
Grumpy Owly wrote:
EvE is a sandbox with focus towards expertise and focussing activities for planned choices.

Why do you want to promote generalisation or motivators which afford no reason other than a random achievement.

Keep it real, promote choices and activities to have a point, not just a blind chaotic grind of "I did this cause it was a badge I needed" Roll


Having achievements in game will just show a player what he can achieve in the sandbox. Maybe even motivate him to chose a certain profession to do the achievements for it.

There is the debate that new player, but also veterans, see no interest in playing the game, because it's too hard, because they don't understand it etc. Imagine a new player just finishing the tutorial and a little thingy pops up and tells him he earned his first achievement. Then Aura instructs him about the achievements and soon the new player learns there are a gazillion things you can do in this game. Once choosing a certain achievement he then sets out to earn it. Along his path, he meets players trying to earn that same achievement, he joins a corp that helps in achievement farming etc.

While I believe that achievements would be a way to stimulate new players in exploring the sandbox, older players should find in them an incentive to relive the days when they were just discovering EVE.

Achievements should be made in such a way to promote the activities they represent, not just be some cheap bling on one's profile. Fleet achievements for example would promote team work and some of them should be very difficult to obtain. Think about incursions and how difficult they were at the beginning. But through team work, players have learned to blitz them and now everyone knows how to act in a fleet. Maybe achievements could so something similar. Think of an achievement that has to be earned by being in a fleet and butcher another fleet. People will train PvP to do this and they might get the taste of it and continue doing PvP regardless of achievements.


Can endorse the promotion of "task" related badges as a progressive achievement. It is much more purposefull than useless bling.

Interestingyl it kind of made me think about how much it would be applied as a method for recruitment practices. As achievements couldbe like your CV.

Any view to the potential of historically balancing them for older players? Or do we assume an even start for everyone and that achievements can't be exclusive if int theory you would have attained it. E.g. if an achievement was to train engineering to level 5 (purely an example) those who have already couldnt redo this, so the system would have to audit for starting achievements in this case. Whereas another example, destroy 2 POS people may have done this, but if the game logs can't account for it due to how it handles the data in the db, everyone would have to start from the same point. Might not be a big issue, but worth thinking about as criteron perhaps?
NiGhTTraX
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-02-19 18:10:49 UTC
Grumpy Owly wrote:

Can endorse the promotion of "task" related badges as a progressive achievement. It is much more purposefull than useless bling.

Interestingyl it kind of made me think about how much it would be applied as a method for recruitment practices. As achievements couldbe like your CV.


Bingo! Certain alliances could accept players by the achievements they earned. I mean, com on, if a guy applies for your alliance and has the 'kill 100 titans' achievement, you should give him a shot :)

Grumpy Owly wrote:

Any view to the potential of historically balancing them for older players? Or do we assume an even start for everyone and that achievements can't be exclusive if int theory you would have attained it. E.g. if an achievement was to train engineering to level 5 (purely an example) those who have already couldnt redo this, so the system would have to audit for starting achievements in this case. Whereas another example, destroy 2 POS people may have done this, but if the game logs can't account for it due to how it handles the data in the db, everyone would have to start from the same point. Might not be a big issue, but worth thinking about as criteron perhaps?


Skill training related achievements should not be implemented. You kinda have certificates for that. Achievements should be activity related. As for older players that would already be eligible for some achievements, I'll leave this up for debate. My opinion, is that they should not automatically be awarded the achievements. Two reasons for this: the difficulty in looking over the logs and deciding which players are eligible and the motivation to 're-earn' the achievements. Having killed 2 POS is fun. But killing 2 more is even more fun :)

If you're gonna post here thinking your idea is the greatest thing since bacon and that it will save EVE and possibly all humankind with it, you're gonna have a bad time.

YuuKnow
The Scope
#16 - 2012-02-19 18:57:58 UTC  |  Edited by: YuuKnow
mxzf wrote:
No reward, ever. Achievements, if they did get added into the game, should NEVER confer any in-game bonuses. Having stuff to do for your own personal checklist is one thing, but people should never gain an advantage through them. P2W is bad enough, but Grind2W is even more lame.


I can appreciate this point of view. Though I do think that CCP should show some sort of appreciation for those that have stuck with them for so long. Despite all the broken gameplays, imbalances, and slow, inefficient game development, players that show loyalty to the game and idea that CCP is trying to achieve should be given some love. Even if its pure vanity items.

yk

ps) Just for the record, the core gameplay of Eve is already P2W by the fact that its a time, not an activity, based skill point system (the more subscription money you dump in, the more skill points you get). The ability to open more than one account at the same time is also P2W (those that buy a 2nd account wll excel over those that don't). If Eve were to be pure, it would have activity based skill point systems, not a sit-in-your-hanger-and-become-uber-skilled-by-paying-subscription-fees-the-longest system.
AFK Hauler
State War Academy
#17 - 2012-02-19 22:20:19 UTC
Sorry, but video game "achievements" are a hollow pander to the epeen people who see internet pixels as way of life.

True achievements start in real life and matter only there. Convincing some weak minded gamer earning an "achievement" in a video game is something to aspire to and be proud of is embarrassing.

EVE is entertainment - period. There are many games with achievements available is you want that type of entertainment. WoW is for sure one of them and would be happy to have you play along.

Achievements would obliterate the concept of sandbox. Everyone who cares would pander to specific activities and compare with others if they have similar abilities. They don't matter in EVE for a reason.

This would be yet another distraction for CCP to waste time developing.

If you are really hard up for some badge of lame, have your corp make an award and pin it on...

Too many games have been ruined by half-witted requests for some developer to define the game to the players by scripting "achievements" resulting in player disillusion.



-1
NiGhTTraX
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#18 - 2012-02-19 23:02:08 UTC
AFK Hauler wrote:
Sorry, but video game "achievements" are a hollow pander to the epeen people who see internet pixels as way of life.

True achievements start in real life and matter only there. Convincing some weak minded gamer earning an "achievement" in a video game is something to aspire to and be proud of is embarrassing.


What? What does this have anything to do with the way of life?!

AFK Hauler wrote:

EVE is entertainment - period. There are many games with achievements available is you want that type of entertainment. WoW is for sure one of them and would be happy to have you play along.


I did not insult you. This is a forum for posting ideas and opinions, not calling people WoW players.

AFK Hauler wrote:

Too many games have been ruined by half-witted requests for some developer to define the game to the players by scripting "achievements" resulting in player disillusion.


Name one and bring arguments.

If you're gonna post here thinking your idea is the greatest thing since bacon and that it will save EVE and possibly all humankind with it, you're gonna have a bad time.

Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2012-02-20 02:14:57 UTC
mxzf wrote:
I think you've been playing too much TF2 ...
TF2 is not the only game with Achievements.
And believe it or not, Valve didn't invent the Achievement system either. It actually started on the XBox 360.

Forgive me if you already knew these, but based on the way you wrote your post, I assumed you didn't.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Katalci
Catgirl Courtesan Club
#20 - 2012-02-20 08:30:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Katalci
-1
People should set their own goals. It was incredibly satisfying to get my first kill, and I would have been irritated if some idiotic little popup informed me that I should be happy.
There are also corp decorations.

YuuKnow wrote:
I'ld like the following things because I feel special:
Things that should never ever be done

Fixed that for you
12Next page