These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

PLEX about to become illegal in the US?

First post
Author
Foodpimp
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2011-09-20 02:27:16 UTC
Kitty McKitty wrote:
I got a friend into playing EVE and he would buy me pints in exchange for ISK. They were fairly expensive pints but I would rather have beer than this excess of ISK.

I'm a simple guy....give me a few pints of Franzi Dunkle and we're good.
MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#42 - 2011-09-20 02:31:14 UTC
Barakkus wrote:
CCP Zymurgist wrote:
If we struck a deal with Papa Johns so you could use PLEX to feed your family (AS AN EXAMPLE) then it could be classified as currency.

Implement nao, thnx.

if you do it do it with something that is international like pizza hut or dominoes... we dont have papa johns in canada or israel...

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Morganta
The Greater Goon
#43 - 2011-09-20 02:38:33 UTC
Tethys Atreides wrote:
PLEX is not a virtual currency. It is a currency in a virtual reality game. There is a very pronounced difference.

not empty poptarts
Belidos Goveko
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#44 - 2011-09-20 13:50:54 UTC
CCP Zymurgist wrote:
The big difference between PLEX and say Bitcoins is that PLEX is in-game only and it can't be turned into money. Bitcoins can be used to by things, even PLEX, making it a currency.

Both are "virtual" in a sense but it really comes down to the method they can be used. If we struck a deal with Papa Johns so you could use PLEX to feed your family (AS AN EXAMPLE) then it could be classified as currency.

This ^^

CCP are not selling you a currency, they are selling you 30 days of gametime which you can choose to trade with other players for ingame currency, these new laws wouldn't even touch them, besides even if it was deemed a currency most of the information they require CCP already has, remember signing up for the game and putting your details in?
Kitty McKitty
In Praise Of Shadows
#45 - 2011-09-20 13:57:11 UTC
I remember signing up and putting random details in.

Haviing your portrait painted here helps INTAKI Disabled Children ♥

Belidos Goveko
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#46 - 2011-09-20 14:02:20 UTC
Kitty McKitty wrote:
I remember signing up and putting random details in.

Ah good ole identity fraud Lol
Thorn Galen
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#47 - 2011-09-20 14:06:40 UTC
*facepalms*

I was going to.......no wait, nevermind.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#48 - 2011-09-20 14:06:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
They got the information for your payment method, currently they don't really need anything else.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

De'Veldrin
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2011-09-20 14:25:00 UTC
PLEX isn't a currency.
The BSA doesn't apply.

Pretty much end of discussion, really.

Now, on the topic of using random details when signing up, I was always bothered by the fact that no one at CCP questioned my name being Hamster McHamsterpants III, Esq.

I mean come on - no one's parents are that cruel.

Are they? Shocked

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

David Grogan
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2011-09-20 14:25:21 UTC
CCP Zymurgist wrote:
The big difference between PLEX and say Bitcoins is that PLEX is in-game only and it can't be turned into money. Bitcoins can be used to by things, even PLEX, making it a currency.

Both are "virtual" in a sense but it really comes down to the method they can be used. If we struck a deal with Papa Johns so you could use PLEX to feed your family (AS AN EXAMPLE) then it could be classified as currency.

don't the russian botters already do that? pay for morgages with rmt from botted isk.

Everytime you buy something that says "made in china" you are helping the rising unemployment in your own country unless you are from china, Buy locally produced goods and help create more jobs.

Ciar Meara
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#51 - 2011-09-20 15:02:23 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Confirming support for PLEX for pizza (although it would make me go broke (in game) in like a week).

I'll have a kebab pizza with a coke please

- [img]http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/janus/ceosig.jpg[/img] [yellow]English only please. Zymurgist[/yellow]

Takamori Maruyama
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#52 - 2011-09-20 15:08:31 UTC
PLEX should be a currency for nerd Food.

Loud and clear...

Nikkov
Doomheim
#53 - 2011-09-20 15:15:34 UTC
CCP Zymurgist wrote:
If we struck a deal with Papa Johns so you could use PLEX to feed your family then it could be classified as currency.

so...

when should we expect the dev blog? :)
Pottsey
Enheduanni Foundation
#54 - 2011-09-20 15:26:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Pottsey
CCP Zymurgist wrote:

But you (CCP) made it recently so we can buy stuff with PLEX so surly it meets the classification of virtual currency? We can buy services off CCP in exchange for PLEX and we can buy virtual goods via PLEX. We can even tradePLEX currency for other currency. So how is it not a currecny of sorts? If we remove PLEX the whole virtual good part of Eve stops working.

PLEX can be transferred from one person to another.
PLEX can be bought by real money.
PLEX can be used to buy both services and virtual items.
That seems to match the rules for currency in the new law.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#55 - 2011-09-20 16:25:00 UTC
Brock Nelson wrote:
Kitty McKitty wrote:
I got a friend into playing EVE and he would buy me pints in exchange for ISK. They were fairly expensive pints but I would rather have beer than this excess of ISK.

You're onto something here...I actually have a friend who plays eve as well and begs me for isk every once in awhile...

Interesting note.

In Zimbabwe, when Mugabe devalued the currency to much they have "billion dollar bills" that purchased nothing, the people resorted to.....

prepaid phone units.

I am not sure of all details, but I remember that they have carriers that allow people to transfer time from one account to another. The people would rely on friends from out of country (meaning they didn't have crap currency) to purchase time cards, and send the codes in, and they would put the time on their phone.

This time became currency. People had value for it, and it was a consumable.

As a commodity, it worked. And in fact, the best currencies in civilization were commodities. They have an intrinsic value, something even gold lacks. (you cannot eat gold - imagine the "glass of water in a desert" scenario).

So I can see ISK and other in-game currencies becoming a commodity, whether governments and game providers like it or not, because if people have value for it, they will trade for it. Period.

And it's always good when people use "the code" as guidelines to survive. A human race too unruly to be centrally managed by desk tyrants is a productive, imaginative, and interesting race indeed.

So while it will be a EULA violation to trade ISK for say, ammunition or produce - something that the US economy might create a need for soon enough - the real fun will come when the government, clawing at the necks of the people while it goes down like a werewolf with a pound of silver bullets in its head, goes to companies like CCP and tries to make ISK transfer between accounts a "criminal act". Don't laugh. It's already such that if you get stopped by the police with a wad of cash in your wallet they can take the money, no charges, no judge, no jury, on the presumption that the money might have been acquired through criminal means. So the precedent is set for the bankster cronies to go to CCP and say that all inter-account ISK transfers are the activity of "competing currency" and hence criminal.

With any luck Iceland will stick to it's habits and tell the government to stuff it.

Otherwise, the ISK transfer will have to happen in space, through jet-canning items of value. The day will come when we will see an article about this: government wanting to send agents into MMOs to make sure people are not trading items of "transferable value". Chances are this will come from agents themselves looking to get paid to play MMOs all day. They already search around looking for terrists in MMOs.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Previous page123