These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Vote for an independent, non-block aligned candidate - Mu'ad Diib for the CSM

First post
Author
Mu'ad Diib
Nul-Bridge Industrial Technologies
#41 - 2012-02-18 14:40:13 UTC
Adolf Hilmar wrote:
+1 to dilute non-bloc aligned votes. (also, a four line sig is obnoxious, esp. a quote from blade runner that everyone has seen a million times before)
I really appreciate the support.

I am sorry that you think my sig line is obnoxious, it's not at all my intention.

Whilst you are totally right of course that people have seen a million times before it's from my absolute favourite film and it's one of my favourite quotes of all time.

The bit that really captures my imagination is the fact that one day, a long way into the future from now, someone may just have the experience of seeing Orion really close up. This just makes me think ... Wow!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. When I die, all those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Mu'ad Diib
#42 - 2012-02-18 17:00:53 UTC

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. When I die, all those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Lyris Nairn
Perkone
Caldari State
#43 - 2012-02-18 17:40:41 UTC
How do you feel about the fact that a good chunk of your likes are coming from Clusterfuck Coalition pilots whom are hoping to use your candidacy as one more means by which to split the non-aligned vote and thereby insure that bloc-aligned candidates make it into the CSM?

Sky Captain of Your Heart

Reddit: lyris_nairn Skype: lyris.nairn Twitter: @lyris_nairn

rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#44 - 2012-02-18 18:20:07 UTC
Mu'ad Diib wrote:
Adolf Hilmar wrote:
+1 to dilute non-bloc aligned votes. (also, a four line sig is obnoxious, esp. a quote from blade runner that everyone has seen a million times before)

I am sorry that you think my sig line is obnoxious, it's not at all my intention.

Whilst you are totally right of course that people have seen a million times before it's from my absolute favourite film and it's one of my favourite quotes of all time.

The bit that really captures my imagination is the fact that one day, a long way into the future from now, someone may just have the experience of seeing Orion really close up. This just makes me think ... Wow!

Get a telescope dude. Dont need to lose your emotions and gain a robot body to see it closer. Besides from the movie mix up happening, all sigs are obnoxious, so everyone should have one.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Lyris Nairn
Perkone
Caldari State
#45 - 2012-02-18 18:24:39 UTC
rodyas wrote:
Mu'ad Diib wrote:
Adolf Hilmar wrote:

Get a telescope dude. Dont need to lose your emotions and gain a robot body to see it closer. Besides from the movie mix up happening, all sigs are obnoxious, so everyone should have one.

I personally enjoy my four line signature. It tells people who I am.

Mu'ad Diib
#46 - 2012-02-18 18:25:34 UTC
I guess what you're really saying is that if too many independents stand, the vote splits and the blocs will make it through?

Whilst this might be true, it's hard for me, or any candidate for that matter to ascertain as to what point that is exactly. In terms of where my support comes from, I don't know what their motives are, but then I doubt you do either. I've made it clear what I stand for in my election post, if someone wants to support me on that basis then how can I know why they're doing it?

My personal feeling is that maybe we need a federation to represent smaller corporations, (in the face of the massive power wielded by the goon blocs). If we did have that then maybe what we could do is come up with a slate and encourage all members of the federation to like/vote for the people on the slate. Unfortunately at this stage, we're not in that position.

Whatever happens in this election, I may try to make a start on organising this for next year. Maybe you'd like to be involved?

Lyris Nairn
Perkone
Caldari State
#47 - 2012-02-18 18:39:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Lyris Nairn
Mu'ad Diib wrote:
My personal feeling is that maybe we need a federation to represent smaller corporations, (in the face of the massive power wielded by the goon blocs). If we did have that then maybe what we could do is come up with a slate and encourage all members of the federation to like/vote for the people on the slate. Unfortunately at this stage, we're not in that position.

Creating and organizing a coalition of small entities is an excellent idea. Voting from a slate of candidates is also a great idea. You are right in that neither of those great ideas presently exist, for the non-aligned voting population. You will note that I qualify that statement with "non-aligned voting population". The organized blocs have exactly these things in pace, and that is what gives them their disproportionate voting power. Within my own Alliance, our website administrator forces a pop-up on forum log-in to remind us which candidate our bloc has chosen to support, with a link to the page that casts a vote for that candidate. Within our ally TEST Alliance Please Ignore, internal primary elections are held in a style similar to the method employed by the major political parties of the United States, and the winner becomes the bloc candidate.

The advantages that organized voting blocs have over disorganized voters are clear and self-evident, and so long as fine people like yourself have a "personal feeling," but are not moved to take similar action, that is how it will remain.

edit: That sure was a lot of edits just to get this post to display properly. Sorry about all that!

Mu'ad Diib
#48 - 2012-02-18 19:00:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Mu'ad Diib
Lyris Nairn wrote:
Creating and organizing a coalition of small entities is an excellent idea. Voting from a slate of candidates is also a great idea ... The advantages that organized voting blocs have over disorganized voters are clear and self-evident, and so long as fine people like yourself have a "personal feeling," but are not moved to take similar action, that is how it will remain ... edit: That sure was a lot of edits just to get this post to display properly. Sorry about all that!
I'm glad you like the ideas.

What you've written about the bloc power situation is totally correct.

I think out of all of us, it might be that you have one of the best chances of getting voted in. It may be that once the shortlisting process is over, (in the face of a lack of a clearly defined federation of non-aligned capsuleers) what needs to happen is that the non aligned candidates have a quiet chat and work out who has the best chance of actually suceeding and then all make sure that they seperately urge people to vote for them.

It would take a lot of trust, but for my part I'd be happy to urge people to vote for you on this basis. I figure it's about trust and we have to start somewhere. At this stage however, with 10 days to go I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel. If I do get to that point I will be sure to let you know however.

In terms of 'people like me' and 'personal feelings' you're right, but then change has to start somewhere. Maybe that is now. Today.

M

And the edits aren't a problem. I'm dyslexic, dyspraxic and dyscalculic. I understand!

Lyris Nairn
Perkone
Caldari State
#49 - 2012-02-18 19:23:03 UTC
I think it is a bit late to construct an organized voting body for the general public at this point, considering that the short listing period will close in ten days and then the elections will be soon upon us. If you would like to organize a voting bloc for the presently under-represented voting public, then I would be happy to help. Beyond lending my name and influence to the effort, I am willing to roll up my proverbial space sleeves and hit the space ground running. By the next election cycle, we should be able to develop an emergent, player-generated and player-run system for running a primary election and putting forth candidates that will best represent the People.

By the way, thank you for your endorsement of my good character and for the trust you place in me.

Mu'ad Diib
#50 - 2012-02-18 19:54:14 UTC
Lyris Nairn wrote:
I think it is a bit late to construct an organized voting body for the general public at this point...
Probably true.

Lyris Nairn wrote:
... If you would like to organize a voting bloc for the presently under-represented voting public, then I would be happy to help ... By the next election cycle, we should be able to develop an emergent, player-generated and player-run system for running a primary election and putting forth candidates that will best represent the People...
I'd be happy to try and get a discussion going but my personal preference would be to create a federation of non aligned capsuleers and corporations. This way we would have a powerful group both on a democratic level and within the game.

Lyris Nairn wrote:
...By the way, thank you for your endorsement of my good character and for the trust you place in me.
No problem. You seem like one of the good guys and that's enough for me. Like I said it's about trust. We have to start somewhere.

Lyris Nairn
Perkone
Caldari State
#51 - 2012-02-18 19:57:08 UTC
Mu'ad Diib wrote:

Lyris Nairn wrote:
... If you would like to organize a voting bloc for the presently under-represented voting public, then I would be happy to help ... By the next election cycle, we should be able to develop an emergent, player-generated and player-run system for running a primary election and putting forth candidates that will best represent the People...
I'd be happy to try and get a discussion going but my personal preference would be to create a federation of non aligned capsuleers and corporations. This way we would have a powerful group both on a democratic level and within the game.

So you want to start your own Alliance?

Mu'ad Diib
#52 - 2012-02-18 21:09:06 UTC
Lyris Nairn wrote:
So you want to start your own Alliance?
Sounds like a good plan.

How do we do that?

I think we should be pretty selective however in who we let in. The goons are sure to want to sabotage it so I think we should wait until the dust settlles after this election and then go to work quietly and carefully.

I'm a bit of an idealist so I guess I'd want it to be ethical. Put another way, I want to be a member of the rebel alliance rather than just another evil empire.

I did suggest the idea to someone in The Mighty (my corporation) and they were very positive about it.

The name 'the free federation of non-aligned capsuleers and corporations ' was discussed which they though sounded suitably rebelious. I'm kinda of open minded about it but at the same time I'd want us to have a strng sense of who we are and what we're about.

Liberté, égalité, fraternité - Vive la Revolution!

Lyris Nairn
Perkone
Caldari State
#53 - 2012-02-18 21:21:00 UTC
I'd be down to help. Smile

Mu'ad Diib
#54 - 2012-02-18 22:54:24 UTC
Lyris Nairn wrote:
I'd be down to help. Smile
Sounds good.

Mu'ad Diib
#55 - 2012-02-19 09:14:51 UTC

Elise Randolph
Habitual Euthanasia
Pandemic Legion
#56 - 2012-02-19 15:42:40 UTC
At the risk of sounding rude, I do have some questions about your platform thus far.

Quote:

One thing that I will say is that I really won't stand here and tell you that I know it all and that's why you should vote for me. I don't and I'm very aware of this.

Honesty and integrity are completely core to me both as an individual and as a player. On this basis, what I can promise to do if I am lucky enough to get voted in is listen intelligently to the arguments, ask pertinent questions where I'm unsure and then advocate hard for what players actually want in the game.

You admit that you do not know a lot about the game, a bold and honest approach. However, in your view is it sufficient to be just a smart listener and bring nothing else to the table? And when you ask questions, to whom do you address them? Since you have this dearth of personal experience to fall back on, do you have an inner circle of trusted friends to give you honest feedback, or do you rely on the forums where the extremes are oft over-represented?

~

Darius III
Interstellar eXodus
The Initiative.
#57 - 2012-02-19 16:09:59 UTC
Running on no knowledge, no power bloc and no platform, one may be tempted to believe you went to the Darius III school of politicking? C/D?

Hmmm

Mu'ad Diib
#58 - 2012-02-19 19:14:58 UTC
Elise Randolph wrote:
You admit that you do not know a lot about the game, a bold and honest approach. However, in your view is it sufficient to be just a smart listener and bring nothing else to the table? And when you ask questions, to whom do you address them? Since you have this dearth of personal experience to fall back on, do you have an inner circle of trusted friends to give you honest feedback, or do you rely on the forums where the extremes are oft over-represented?
You're not rude at all and I'm quite happy to answer your questions.

Whilst I wouldn't place myself on the expert level in terms of my game knowledge, (I think to call it a 'dearth of personal experience' is over dramatisation for the record) I do have a fair bit of knowledge about the game. I'm certainly not a newbie but equally I recognise my capacity to learn from the experience of others and in this respect I guess I would call myself open minded.

I'm a member of a small corporation; I don't scam other capsuleers; I tend to hang out in mid to high sec space. This all combines to bring me to the game with a a particular perspective and this is created by the culmination of my experience and knowledge. However I fully recognise that this isn't the only perspective that you can have.

In terms of who I would seek honest opinions and feedback from, I do have a close group of friends that I would consult. The main people who's opinions I trust most explicitly are the members of my corporation, The Mighty. Between them there is over 36 years of game experience, (40 years plus with my experience on top). After this I also have some other contacts within the game who I would consider to be trusted and honest and I would consult with them as well.

At the end of the day what's important to me, should I be lucky enough to be voted onto the CSM, is to be someone who honestly represents the opinions of others. If this is to be a representative democracy this is key to the CSM actually being able to reflect the needs of capsuleers rather than the partisan views of the particular section of the EVE community that they have loyalty to.

This is why I'd call myself a truly independent candidate.

Like I've said I am honest and I have integrity in this respect, combined with my commitment to democracy and proper representation of the views of all kinds of capsuleers, makes me a good person to have as a candidate.

Mu'ad Diib
#59 - 2012-02-19 19:27:29 UTC
Darius III wrote:
Running on no knowledge, no power bloc and no platform, one may be tempted to believe you went to the Darius III school of politicking? C/D?
Hmmm. I'm not quite sure whether you're gently poking fun here ... just in case you're not, (if you are I freely apologise for not correctly interpreting the sophisticated linguistic semantics of your post) here's a sensible response.

Whilst I would agree that I am a non-aligned independent candidate and this I have no power bloc, I wouldn't exactly agree that I have no knowledge or a lack of a platform.

Quote:
"On a fundamental level, I'd like to see an increase in player democracy. Specifically, I'd like to see a system in place to allow players to suggest and vote on new content so that the game evolves in line with the democratic wishes of the community."
At the core of my platform is a commitment to properly represent the views of other players. I will seek these out by running regular surgeries, (like a member of parliament).

Rather than impose my particular viewpoint and say my way or no way, what I'd like to do is make sure that, in a democratic way the forum works and that we move towards a situation where the level of democracy increases. I'm pretty happy with this as a platform.

Mu'ad Diib
#60 - 2012-02-19 22:02:55 UTC