These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

evewho.com - Showing more than I want to show. No privacy !

First post First post
Author
Thomas Alva Edison
Doomheim
#1 - 2011-09-20 14:37:16 UTC
hi !

Just recently i stumbled on the site: http://evewho.com
The project itself is a good idea, but it is showing more than i want to show to the public.

For start, i don't want to show to the public the members from my corporation !
Random Example: http://evewho.com/corp/Zerg+Hatchery

Is there a setting from the API where i can disable a such thing ?
Is there an action i can take against showing the members of my corporation ?
Ain't it against the privacy of a corporation ?

As a disclaimer, it states:

Quote:
All numbers based to known characters and may differ from in game values. All characters found by scavengin killboards, eve-search, and finding holes in character id sequence data and filling them.

Now i know for sure some characters do not appear on any existing killboard, but it appears on this site.

Can something be done ?
Nyio
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2011-09-20 14:47:05 UTC
Yes, great site. I hope it's here to stay and grow. Smile
Efraya
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#3 - 2011-09-20 14:47:10 UTC
All of the information gathered on that website is a collection of information that is already publicly visible, he's just been clever in scraping the kill boards and compiling that list.

[b][center]WSpace; Dead space.[/center] [center]Lady Spank for forum mod[/center][/b]

Nikkov
Doomheim
#4 - 2011-09-20 14:59:03 UTC
Efraya wrote:
All of the information gathered on that website is a collection of information that is already publicly visible, he's just been clever in scraping the kill boards and compiling that list.

How can the information be public, ie: Killboards, when alts are being shown that have never undicked from station?
Thorn Galen
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#5 - 2011-09-20 14:59:54 UTC
Very good site, decent information!
Keep it going.
Myxx
The Scope
#6 - 2011-09-20 15:00:13 UTC
evewho is awesome and I personally have been using it for my own needs. I think its great seeing the members of a corp shown in public like that.
Ciar Meara
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#7 - 2011-09-20 15:00:29 UTC
Indeed, the maker could keep it open or sell information based on his machine, or do both with private acces.

In any case it is a usefull tool.

- [img]http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/janus/ceosig.jpg[/img] [yellow]English only please. Zymurgist[/yellow]

Shionoya Risa
The Xenodus Initiative.
#8 - 2011-09-20 15:02:57 UTC
Nikkov wrote:
Efraya wrote:

How can the information be public, ie: Killboards, when alts are being shown that have never undicked from station?

Because he has been guessing ID's from the api. Not really what I'd called public per se.

Quote:
and finding holes in character id sequence data and filling them.

Ya Huei
Imperial Collective
#9 - 2011-09-20 15:03:18 UTC
By posting it on this forum you made more people aware of this site. very smart.

Kitty McKitty
In Praise Of Shadows
#10 - 2011-09-20 15:06:22 UTC
macro to gain advantage etc.

Haviing your portrait painted here helps INTAKI Disabled Children ♥

Prince Kobol
#11 - 2011-09-20 15:13:29 UTC
Ya Huei wrote:
By posting it on this forum you made more people aware of this site. very smart.

By making it a website it is public for EVERYONE on the internet

luddite
Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2011-09-20 15:16:59 UTC
Nikkov wrote:
Efraya wrote:

Perhaps you have posted to forums with them or your eve gate settings have been allowing some inspection for a while... There are plenty of places where sites like this could catch the data... Try googling your alts name.

Get classic forum style - custom videos to captains quarters screen

Play with the best - die like the rest

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#13 - 2011-09-20 15:18:28 UTC
Nikkov wrote:
Because they appear in other stats and data feeds, e.g. as corp founders/CEOs, or in market logs.
Zagam
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#14 - 2011-09-20 15:25:13 UTC
Hiding that info defeats the purpose of the entire site.

I think a better question to ask is:

Why is it so important that the info is hidden?
Shionoya Risa
The Xenodus Initiative.
#15 - 2011-09-20 15:27:57 UTC
Zagam wrote:

Why is it so important that the info is hidden?

Apart from the massive intel boost it gives?
Othran
Route One
#16 - 2011-09-20 15:34:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Othran
Tippia wrote:
Nikkov wrote:
Because they appear in other stats and data feeds, e.g. as corp founders/CEOs, or in market logs.

Nope. I have an alt which I created to sort of hold a name I use in other games. That alt has done nothing - ever. Never undocked, never bought anything, never traded, trained, posted on forums - nothing. In fact I've never told anyone the alt existed until now.
Edit - he's been in local for all of 2 seconds after character creation and that was just after DT, so its not that either.

Edit 2 - OK I see how it works. Thats pretty bloody stupid CCP Straight
malaire
#17 - 2011-09-20 15:38:17 UTC  |  Edited by: malaire
Thomas Alva Edison wrote:
Is there a setting from the API where i can disable a such thing ?

Employment history of each character is public information. If the name of the character can be found somewhere, then it can be linked to its corporation(s).

To keep your character name private:

• Do not post on forums
  • Do not appear on any killboard
  • Do not buy/sell anything on market
  • Do not show up in Local anywhere
  • Do not chat with anyone in EVE
  • Do not send evemail to anyone

Whenever you do any of the above, someone can see your character name, and that person can submit it to sites like http://evewho.com. I remember one site which gave some reward for each new character submitted there, I don't know if http://evewho.com does this also.

So in short, there is no real way to keep your character name and its corporation(s) private.

New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#18 - 2011-09-20 15:40:17 UTC
We just had a faildec war and used Evewho to see who was in the other corp. The dec started with the other corp containing 2 pilots. During the war 3 more joined. This allowed me to see how long it takes Evewho to find the new members: 12 to 48 hours.

I'm wondering if corps will start having members drop and re-join corp over and over to spoof the Evewho data.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Adrenaline Reaper
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2011-09-20 15:43:51 UTC
The site works by guessing character ids, http://wiki.eve-id.net/APIv2_Eve_CharacterInfo_XML

You can query some data on the API without supplying a key, just like you can search and view someone's corp history in game.

The site is 100% legit, the guy who made it has made a very clever use of the API tools available to everyone, there is nothing stopping you collecting all the info ingame if you wanted, it would just take considerable time
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#20 - 2011-09-20 15:44:29 UTC
Kill boards are wildly inaccurate for depending information. I for one don't keep one but it exists because of the kills OTHER players post, however, still an incomplete and unreliable source of information, for example, I swear I have lost many more Cheetahs than it shows.

123Next pageLast page