These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Trying to Find Updated Resources on Planetary Interaction

Author
Victor Stillwater
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-02-19 00:33:43 UTC
Good day!

I'm a new player who played the trial back in October, and only formally subscribed 22 hours ago. I was hoping to find updated resources related to Planetary interaction, as most of the places I've visited seem to need cleanup or mention that they're not updated resources.

As it stands, I'm currently following http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Planetary_Interaction as a general guide to try and learn the basics of PI (videos are helpful) while I hone my ship flying skills back to basic competency. I am looking for other guides, but my google-fu isn't that strong in this regard, and searching on the forums has frustrated me because PI isn't an easily searchable term.

Can anyone offer up updated guides for me to read, or at least outline the changes between the PI guide from E-UNI and the present incarnation of PI. In addition, as a newcomer with only the starter Gallente ships, I have to ask, what ships are supposed to be used for industrial endeavors like PLanetary Interaction as opposed to Mission running?

Thank you for your time. :)

Butt-kicking for goodness! - Minsc, Baldur's Gate Series

Feel free to read my game-related writings at http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#2 - 2012-02-19 01:38:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Professor Alphane
Regarding ships you'll need an industrial of your race type.

Briefly

Scanning skills ARE important
Generally there are 2 types of planet setup Extraction and Factory
Research Tax and always add into your calculations. High sec import is 5% export 10% and assesed value can be found somewhere
Exctraction setups - mine P0 and may convert into anything up to P2 I think /edit P3 sorry
Factories - Import a P0 or higher and convert to a higher tier and thos that want to produce P4 are restricted to barren or temperate planets
Diffrent Tiers of products have diffrent mass. Basically the higher the tier the smaller the product compared to it's component parts

You'll find useful , though I have no links available to me at the moment

A shema tool/diagram
A planet finding tool

Setup calculations are based on something like (all calculations are based on a 1 hour cycle)

It take 6000 P0 to feed 1 P1 factory

It takes the output of 1 P1 factory to feed a P2 factory per element in the schema

It takes the output of 2 P2 factory to feed a P3 factory per element in the schema

It takes the output of 2 P3 factory to feed a P4 factory per element in the schema

Theres exceptions and P4 products are a little more complicated but thats basically it.

Think thats it in a nutshell

Anthing else feel free to ask

/edit re:google-fu using the precursor 'EVE PI' usually works fo me Smile

[center]YOU MUST THINK FIRST....[/center] [center]"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion [/center] [center]The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar[/center]

Vito Tattaglia
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-02-19 02:19:51 UTC
http://picommodityrelations.comyr.com/pi.html

Here's a very helpful guide, it shows what materials are needed when you want to create higher end commodities.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#4 - 2012-02-19 03:36:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Steve Ronuken
The taxes should be mentioned in the Evelopedia articles. (they were last time I looked, after I updated one of them)

Pretty much the only /recent/ changes are:

• Higher taxes, so you have to pay attention to them. lowsec and null have player setable taxes. Not hugely important, to start with.
  • links have 5 times the bandwidth they used to
  • Storage facilities are now 12,000 m3, rather than 5000m3.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Victor Stillwater
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-02-19 05:32:30 UTC
Thanks for the assistance folks.

I'm still looking for more information, and I'm thinking of testing PI out on a planet near the Gallente Tutorial Missions just to practice. Does that seem like a good idea, or should I look for some other place? Like maybe a planet with more activity?

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
#6 - 2012-02-19 05:37:23 UTC
look at the hotspots. see if you can see other people's networks. if there are a lot of people on the planet, you'd be competing with them.

I'm just not sure if you can right click the planet and show other networks, when you don't have on there. if you can, set the sensitivy to the lowest possible, so the whole planet is white. it makes it easier to see other people's command centers (which you can then select to see the rest of their network)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Toshiro GreyHawk
#7 - 2012-02-19 09:09:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Toshiro GreyHawk
Yeah, you can right click and set it to show other people networks but you have to do it each time you want to see them. It's not a toggle you can just turn on.

And YES - go into scan mode - pick the material with the most stuff - and move the slider until the whole planet is white - otherwise it's really hard to see other peoples control centers. Once you've located another guys CC you can click on it to see the stuff he's got - then change through the different materials to see what he's likely to be working with - or just check the stuff you want to do to see if there's a conflict there.

Your Extractors are expendable. Plan on decomissioning them and setting up new ones a lot. Look in your Wallets Journal to see how much you've been charged - it's not that much.

Now - new people can go out and **** around with PI if they want to - but - there are some skills and expenses that really start to add up and make it something that is really better done by someone with some money behind them.

a) The costs are minor for a veteran player but not a new person.
b) The training time is a real consideration for someone who is trying to build up their cash - as you don't make lots of money right away - but the costs come up front.. So finding some other way of funding your PI investment first - is a good idea. Starting with a low cash level and trying to do anything with PI isn't going to be very productive.

An example here is the Control Center. Well ... all your Power Grid and CPU are dependent on what level your Control Center is set at. The design of your colony is dependent on how much PG/CPU you've got. Thus - you really want to have a Fully Functional Control Center when you start - other wise you may end up having to redesign things once you get one fully functional. Well - to even get one to that level requres that you've trained the skill to Level V - which takes a good bit of time. Once yo've got that done, when you go to raise the level of a Control Tower up from lowest to maxium - it costs you like 7 milion ISK or so. Now that's not that much for a veteran player - but if you're brand new it is.

Advanced Planetology is like a 7 million ISK skill.

Getting the skill to Level V for the number of Planets you can support takes some time too.

Then there's all the taxes you have to pay - which if you have to import something - means you already exported from somewhere and will have to export your final product again - so they tax you quite a bit now AND you have to pay those taxes before you even bring your stuff to market - much less get paid for it.

One thing I did which helped me get started in PI - was to go to the test server - where things don't cost much and practice there. You could go experiment with that and learn about PI while you were developing some skills on the live server that would bring you some up front money. By the time 7 million ISK isn't a big deal to you - you'd have the experience gained from fooling around on the test server to do a better job live. Just be prepared to lose everything you bulit on the test server every time they do a major update - but then you're there to practice anyway so - what the hell ...

The real downside to using the test server ... at least the last time I used it - was dealing with the constant builds - requiring you to do an update. Make sure you don't foul up your live installation - use another installation to apply the test server files to.

If all that's to much trouble for you - just do something else until you've got a decent chunk of money (i.e. 7 million ISK isn't a big deal) and then come try PI.

Cyniac
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-02-19 09:20:33 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
look at the hotspots. see if you can see other people's networks. if there are a lot of people on the planet, you'd be competing with them.

Did they finally get round to fixing this so you could reliably see other people's networks on a planet? Last time I checked this in detail (a few months ago) it was still impossible to see networks which were known to be there half the time.
Victor Stillwater
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-02-19 09:35:04 UTC
Toshiro GreyHawk wrote:

Now - new people can go out and **** around with PI if they want to - but - there are some skills and expenses that really start to add up and make it something that is really better done by someone with some money behind them.

a) The costs are minor for a veteran player but not a new person.
b) The training time is a real consideration for someone who is trying to build up their cash - as you don't make lots of money right away - but the costs come up front.. So finding some other way of funding your PI investment first - is a good idea. Starting with a low cash level and trying to do anything with PI isn't going to be very productive.

Hi Toshiro. Thanks for the heads-up. I've currently got 11.5 million ISK, so while I can do what you're saying, Planetary Interaction doesn't seem like it's going to be economically viable for me.

I have some of the skills trained up, actually, but Advanced Planetology is expensive.

At the moment, I'm doing the Blood Stained Stars EVE mission chain. which is getting me some money, but little by little. I'm hoping to augment that by salvaging wrecks from missions and selling off the stuff I get from salvage, though I'm still learning how that works, exactly.

In the meantime, I'll keep chipping away at the skills necessary for money making (such as the Negotiation Social Skill that increases Mission payouts), as well as the core competencies required to have a durable and stronger ship, skillwise.

If you have any more information I can use, I'd be glad to learn from everyone reading this thread. :D

Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#10 - 2012-02-19 13:47:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Professor Alphane
Sent you a note ingame regarding setup costs hope it helps Blink

Also what people are saying is true you won't become a billionare overnight, but you have to start somewhere and get the ball rolling.

[center]YOU MUST THINK FIRST....[/center] [center]"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion [/center] [center]The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar[/center]

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#11 - 2012-02-19 16:19:33 UTC
Do not even bother with anything besides the POS fuels: Robotics, Mechanical Parts, Enriched Uranium, and Coolant....and Oxygen if you like.

If you must go so far as P4, the Self-Harmonizing Power Cores are about it. They are used in making Corp Hangers and such for POS's.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Victor Stillwater
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-02-19 19:04:27 UTC
Thanks folks. I'll do more reading when I have the chance and see where I can get some startup money for the PI attempts.

Worst case scenario is I start ignoring nosebleeds and try the spatial puzzles inherent in scanning for mining or magnetometric sites.

Celgar Thurn
Department 10
#13 - 2012-02-21 14:06:36 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Do not even bother with anything besides the POS fuels: Robotics, Mechanical Parts, Enriched Uranium, and Coolant....and Oxygen if you like.

If you must go so far as P4, the Self-Harmonizing Power Cores are about it. They are used in making Corp Hangers and such for POS's.

I would personally say Planetary Interaction is not a good choice for a new pilot since the horrendous high sec PI taxes were introduced. Maybe if you could find a way to set up PI in low sec it might be financially viable but again that is going to be tricky for new pilot. If you insist on going ahead with setting up PI planets then Krixtal's advice is sound.

I'm not the kind of pilot who tells others to do something else to protect my business but I would say 'missions & salvaging' or even 'mining' might be better choices for you as starter professions. But it's up to you. Smile
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
#14 - 2012-02-21 20:04:14 UTC
Celgar Thurn wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

I would personally say Planetary Interaction is not a good choice for a new pilot since the horrendous high sec PI taxes were introduced. Maybe if you could find a way to set up PI in low sec it might be financially viable but again that is going to be tricky for new pilot. If you insist on going ahead with setting up PI planets then Krixtal's advice is sound.

I'm not the kind of pilot who tells others to do something else to protect my business but I would say 'missions & salvaging' or even 'mining' might be better choices for you as starter professions. But it's up to you. Smile

As long as all you're doing is extraction and processing to P2s, don't worry about the taxes in high sec too much. As long as you're selling for more than 900isk, you'll make a profit. And many will sell for 5000+. It may not be a huge profit, but you can make isk. Other than your setup fees (which are a sunk cost, and rarely happen again on the same planet (sometimes you move extractors.)) and the export fee, the only cost involved is your time in moving stuff. It's not free, but it's down to how much you are willing to work for.

(No, this isn't the 'the minerals I mine are free' argument. It's the opportunity cost argument. Which are two seperate, if related, arguments)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Gyozshil154
Protocision Industries
#15 - 2012-02-21 21:33:20 UTC
Do you guys see Nanites taking off in the future? I have a low-sec (0.4) nanite operation going that takes up 4 planets, but I'm not seeing much profitability. The market trend shows it increasing, but I don't know how useful nanite paste actually is. Should I just swap it all out for POS fuel? Is it worth more per unit, or is it more profitable because there are guaranteed buyers?
Quetazal
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2012-02-22 12:47:52 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#17 - 2012-02-22 14:45:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
Celgar Thurn wrote:

Yuppers on this. I just did not want to bring up the Tax issue as that always brings the High Sec QQ commenters.........Roll

BTW who are the Idiots dumping Fuel blocks for 13,000 per in Rens ?? Evil

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882