These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Warp to 0 Auto-Pilot

Author
c4 t
Cosmic Psychedelics
#41 - 2011-12-06 11:05:59 UTC
this troll thread has really brought about some hilarious responses. after all the above mentioned, this is also a balance issue. high sec wtz autopilot would make suicide ganking more difficult as you could only scan one side of a gate (outgoing only)
Willy Wanka
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#42 - 2011-12-06 11:10:42 UTC
saltrock0000 wrote:
.... but anyone carrying anything worthwhile surely wouldnt be afk anyway.

My wallet says otherwise... Autopilot warp to 0 would just shield the incompetent/unwary/ignorant/foolish/arrogant/complacent** players from the dark harsh reality which is EvE...

**Delete as applicable.

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#43 - 2011-12-06 12:28:24 UTC
Eyup Mi'duck wrote:
Maybe we could also have a 'run mission' button in the agent window, that allows your toon to complete a mission whilst AFK.

I support this with the caveat that the run mission AI shoot those who steal loot from the mission runner.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Buzzmong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2011-12-06 13:47:48 UTC
Alski wrote:
saltrock0000 wrote:
:Blegh:

Ya know some of us still have fond memorys of Warp to 15 being the absolute minimum, Eve used to be big. Roll

You should ammend that to something like:

Fond memories of warping to 15 in systems you've not visited, then spending 5 to 10 minutes flying 15km past each gate, station and maybe some belts to drop bookmarks at the right location so you never had to warp to 15 in that system again.

Smile
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#45 - 2011-12-06 14:40:31 UTC
I think it's important that a game like Eve do things to reward players who actually pay attention to the game. Autopiloting SHOULD take longer than manual control, if for no other reason than to penalize people who want to start something and walk away from the computer.

I feel like people are forgetting that this is a GAME. You're supposed to PLAY a game, not set up a mechanism by which the game plays itself for you. It's like people want to play chess by setting up their computer to stand in for them.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#46 - 2011-12-06 15:11:02 UTC
Hauling is a profession. There should never be a (legal) way to efficiently* automate any EVE profession.

AFK mission running is very inefficient.
AFK mining can be inefficient.
AFK exploring.... is impossible.
AFK hauling should be (and currently is) inefficient.

*Compared to actively.
Dragon Outlaw
Rogue Fleet
#47 - 2011-12-06 17:36:15 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
saltrock0000 wrote:
... would just mean, instead of mindlessly clicking a button i could make a coffee ...

Maybe CCP could make you a machine that automatically drips hot water through coffee grounds and then filters it into a cup.

Tassimo.

I feel lucky CCP has no jurisdiction on how I can fly a business jet. I can therefore activate the auto-pilot.... and assist the flight attendant in doing the coffee Big smile...
Gorepig
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#48 - 2012-01-28 15:37:33 UTC
Zifrian wrote:
saltrock0000 wrote:
It is strange actualy, why people would not want something to make thier lifes easier. But hey i guess thats thier choice

*CCP can you patch my client to have warp to 0 AP then pleaase*

Because it makes the game less 'real'. Pick any mmo, do you want an auto run feature to get you everywhere? Why have travel at all then? Just make everyone able to insta-jump to any system or location. I mean, it makes my life so much easier after all.

yeah right more real???look i have a 2 billion ship and my crew cannot set a ******* jump to 0 km what kind of idiots are they?
Disdaine
#49 - 2012-01-28 16:09:10 UTC
People don't like it when you talk about taking away any advantage they gain by using hacks.
Ares Kesar
Perkone
Caldari State
#50 - 2012-02-19 00:32:53 UTC
How is watching your ship on autopilot for 4 hours playing a game ? I could be doing something more worthwhile in that time. OR the damn autopilot could remember the route the next time and set the warp to those gates to 0. Or if the people at CCP are feeling a little more sadistic, they could give us the option of making bookmarks and chaining them together for the autopilot to follow. And wouldn't it make sense ? That when you visit the same gate the second time you know where to park your ship ?
God! I hate the ignorance of people who can only think of satisfying their pride.
MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#51 - 2012-02-19 01:22:12 UTC  |  Edited by: MadMuppet
Tippia wrote:
Want the benefit of fast travel? Then pay the price of being at your keyboard.
Want the benefit of being AFK? Then pay the price of slowness and exposure.

^^ This is THE point. You want to change the game mechanic out of laziness and nothing else. Even I will admit there would be times where a WTZ autopilot out be wonderful (flying a Fenrir comes to mind) but if it were permitted it would just promote more laziness. Ships like the Tornado are good for dealing with people not wanting to be at the keyboard, and even I think those are overpowered.

Recently someone got popped with 15 PLEX in their cargo in an unarmored industrial because they were on autopilot and all I can say is 'too bad, so sad'. You were lazy and you just lost your cargo. You want to be 'safe'? Stay at the keyboard.

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

Sprite Can
#52 - 2012-02-19 01:29:34 UTC
saltrock0000 wrote:

I know people will moan and say afk travelings baaaaaad, and that it reduces the change to gank someone, but anyone carrying anything worthwhile surely wouldnt be afk anyway.

That's where your wrong.

Refreshing Lemon-Lime~

second Tolate
Teknival Info Line
#53 - 2012-02-19 01:32:40 UTC
if your afk what do you care if it takes 10min or 20min, you're not there
Valentyn3
Deep Core Mining Inc.
#54 - 2012-02-19 01:33:27 UTC
Gorepig wrote:
Zifrian wrote:
saltrock0000 wrote:
It is strange actualy, why people would not want something to make thier lifes easier. But hey i guess thats thier choice

*CCP can you patch my client to have warp to 0 AP then pleaase*

Because it makes the game less 'real'. Pick any mmo, do you want an auto run feature to get you everywhere? Why have travel at all then? Just make everyone able to insta-jump to any system or location. I mean, it makes my life so much easier after all.

yeah right more real???look i have a 2 billion ship and my crew cannot set a ******* jump to 0 km what kind of idiots are they?

To be fair you pay them nothing and they don't get fancy escape pods either. Be happy they don't shank you in your sleep.

I don't always use hax. But when I do, it's because I'm an NPC.. http://i.imgur.com/PUZou.jpg

JamesCLK
#55 - 2012-02-19 02:39:01 UTC
Little known Eve-lore fact: submarines in space are a side effect of your ship's warp core.
You'll find it right there somewhere in the lore-wiki.

-- -.-- / -.-. .-.. --- -. . / .. ... / - --- --- / . -..- .--. . -. ... .. ...- . / - --- / ..- -. -.. --- -.-. -.- / ... - --- .--. / .--. .-.. . .- ... . / ... . -. -.. / .... . .-.. .--. / ... - --- .--.

Tarsus Zateki
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#56 - 2012-02-19 02:48:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarsus Zateki
Warping to zero on autopilot doesn't bother me because it would prevent ganking. I'll gank you anyway on the other side of the gate. It bothers me because it just another way to avoid actually playing Eve Online. Same reason I dislike empire miners.

You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world.

Castor Narcissus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2012-02-19 02:57:03 UTC
Disdaine wrote:
People don't like it when you talk about taking away any advantage they gain by using hacks.

It ain't hacks! It's python injection! :D
Cletus Graeme
Shai Dorsai
#58 - 2012-02-19 03:04:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Cletus Graeme
As long as 90% of EvE PvP occurs around gates CCP will never allow people to effectively avoid it while AFK using AP.

Perhaps one day when we can "pull people out of warp" we can finally get warp to zero on AP.

Travelling via gates in EvE is one of the most mind-numbingly boring time wasters in the game - it could use some attention to make it more interesting (dangerous is good too!)

Having said that, the latest trend to use destroyers to suicide gank afkers on AP in hisec is recent proof that the game mechanics are constantly evolving - even if they sometimes became lamer Big smile

OT: I wonder if CCP anticipated that their changes to Destroyers would make suicide ganking easier and more profitable?
Taedrin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#59 - 2012-02-19 03:14:43 UTC
We did not always have warp-to-0km in EVE. Originally, the closest you could warp to any destination was 15km away. Players eventually figured out that they could get around this by placing a bookmark 15km behind the object they are warping to, and then warp to that bookmark. These bookmarks were called "instas". Instas gave players a significant advantage in the game, especially in null and low sec. They allowed you to move quickly and safely (as you would no longer have to worry about solo/small gang gate camps which depended upon catching players 15km off the gate). Thus instas soon became a requirement for survival in low sec and null sec.

Now the problem with instas is that in order to be able to warp to any celestial, from any celestial at 0km, you need to have n * (n-1) instas, where n is the number of celestials in a system. Now if you consider that you can copy bookmarks, you will realize that sets of instas were bought and sold on the old escrow system (contracts didn't exist yet). So what you had were a large number of players sitting in Jita copying thousands of bookmarks each constantly.

To put it bluntly, the lag was unbearable. Bookmarks occupied over 80% of the database. If you DARED to open your "people and places" window, you would be lagged for several minutes. Some people report being lagged out for 20 minutes or longer. Jita lag caused horrendous module lag for a system where no combat occurs - 30 seconds at least on the best of days. Usually 2-3 minutes. Basically the lag got so bad, that CCP made a call to arms - they came to the players and asked them for player suggestions to solve the insta problem. The solution that was decided on was to simply make warp-to-0km an official game mechanic.

However, CCP limited this functionality by prohibiting the use of auto-pilot with warp-to-0km. THey felt that this would allow players to travel through lowsec with 100% immunity, and not give "at the keyboard" players any advantage over AFK players.

This is the reason why AFK warp-to-0km will never come into the game - warp-to-0km was only introduced because players found a way to do it on their own and it was killing the server. But players could only do it if they were at their keyboard. CCP didn't actually want warp-to-0km, so they only did the minimal amount of changes needed to solve the problem of insta bookmarks.
Tarsus Zateki
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#60 - 2012-02-19 03:19:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarsus Zateki
Taedrin wrote:
... Stuff About Instas...

And a great way for newbies to scam died... ah memories.

Edit: Also selling lowsec insta sets tainted with a Bookmark that just happened to lead to your heavily armed POS. RIP Vecamia Deathstar you will always live on in my heart.

You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world.