These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Kronos: really worth it?

Author
Kehro Urgus
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-02-15 23:35:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Kehro Urgus
I have a Kronos sitting in my hangar ready to be fitted soon, just waiting on some rigging skill. I have some reservations about this ship particularly if it gets jammed relentlessly and swarmed by frigates. I know drones don't get jammed and will auto aggress but not necessarily in an efficient manner ie. breaking formation or going after stupid things like lights attacking BS rats 50 km away. Saw someone in the help channel who recently lost a 1.4 billion ISk Palladin on a l4 my Domi would laugh at. His fit was meh and he had lower SP but it got me thinking.

I've been looking at the possible fit in EVE HQ and it's fairly heavy with faction and deadspace mods in total worth well more (twice) than the hull itself and is therfore a gank magnet. I have a Navy Domi which is strictly t2 fitted which is about 1/5 the value and does comparable DPS as the Kronos (1000 guns only vs 900 ish for the Domi with sentries using T2 ammo) and isn't a sitting duck in the scenario described above. I already have the mods and rigs ready but I can always use them in other ships.

I've been questioning my wisdom buying this thing considering the risks involved in flying such a expensive ship with only an advantage of being able to salvage on the go albeit slowly. Wish I could test it out on Sisi but I'd have to wait until the next mirror.

Any input from people familiar with this ship is appreciated.

[Kronos, Kahoutek]

4x 425mm Railgun II (Javelin L)
(will add tractors and salvager later)

2x Shadow Serpentis Tracking Computer (Tracking Speed)
Federation Navy Stasis Webifier
Heavy Capacitor Booster II (Cap Booster 800)

3x Federation Navy Magnetic Field Stabilizer
Centus C-Type Armor Kinetic Hardener
Centus C-Type Armor Thermic Hardener
Core X-Type Large Armor Repairer
Tracking Enhancer II

Large Hybrid Burst Aerator II
Large Auxiliary Nano Pump I

5x Hammerhead II
5X Hobgoblin II

Yeeee! 

Kusum Fawn
Perkone
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-02-16 00:00:38 UTC
yes its worth it

i am interested in which of the evehq fittings you were/are looking at, (i've never looked at evehq so ..)

but
4x 425
2x tractor
1x salvager

heavy cap booster
100mn ab
sebo
Tc

1x1 hardner
1x LAR
1x enam
1x DCU
2x Magstab

t2 arator rig
ccc

i dont know which of these things you are faction/deadspacing but the total cost should be about the same amount as the hull.
- faction
AB, Cap booster, hardners, Magstabs, Enam
-deadspace
LAR , enam

just totaling the fit in my head (im not exactly ontop of the jita prices atm) but it should be around 180 for faction and 400 for deadspace, ( if you do a deadspace enam the cost should be around 200?)

so about 700 something for the fitting and700 something for the hull.

absolutely worth it . that mission domi takes about 3x as long on missions.

use faction ammo bought with lp, and everything is golden.

Its not possible to please all the people all the time, but it sure as hell is possible to Displease all the people, most of the time.

Kusum Fawn
Perkone
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-02-16 00:05:49 UTC
Kehro Urgus wrote:

[Kronos, Kahoutek]

4x 425mm Railgun II (Javelin L)
(will add tractors and salvager later)

2x Shadow Serpentis Tracking Computer (Tracking Speed)
Heavy Capacitor Booster II (Cap Booster 800)

3x Federation Navy Magnetic Field Stabilizer
Centus C-Type Armor Kinetic Hardener
Centus C-Type Armor Thermic Hardener
Tracking Enhancer II

Large Auxiliary Nano Pump I

5x Hammerhead II
5X Hobgoblin II

use faction ammo from lp store, dont use t2 ammo in missions the cost isnt worth it. ive never used a web on my kronos ive never let anything get that close (or ive jsut dropped drones on them and forgotten about it) you dont need the c-type hardners, sure they are nice but in general you dont need more then 750 rep vs specific. worlds collide drops 1200 on you if you aggro full room and dont kill anything, but changes to the mission let you do half room aggro. and you should be able to kill enough to not worry abut the damage. (it takes me on average 16 cap 800's to get through that mission, 8 per side)

use a core a-type and you dont need the nanopump, but you do want an ab. some of these missions are long.

Its not possible to please all the people all the time, but it sure as hell is possible to Displease all the people, most of the time.

Kehro Urgus
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-02-16 00:06:41 UTC
I forgot to add the fit when I first posted but it's there now. I guess I can just give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Yeeee! 

Katherine Starlight
Doomheim
#5 - 2012-02-16 00:32:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Katherine Starlight
Yes the kronos is worth it, better tank, more DPS, more speed (AB/MWD fit).
But tbh its risky to fly it without a damnation alt, if you dont have an CMDship alt i would recommend a more dynamic fit.

Risky to fly max DPS fitted* Weak tank vs angels etc so even if you manage aggro and kill off DPS fast sometimes it gets a bit too close to be worth the risk, even with two x-type exp hardners, Now without a "get outta mission free" card, an x-type MWD. I would say nay to flying a kronos without armor ganglinks.
Buzzmong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-02-16 00:43:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Buzzmong
With regards to being jammed: Yes, if you go against Guristas you will be near perma jammed, which applies to all the Marauders.

Granted, I use a Paladin rather than a Kronos for my Gallente mission running, but I trot out my old Dominix when Guristas are present, as despite having a helluva lot less DPS (although it's rather tanky) it ends up being faster at dealing with them as you're not ECM'd up the wazoo.

As for worrying about Frigates: Either kill them at range or let the drones munch them. Most NPC frigates put out such a low amount of damage that they're easily tankable, leaving you to deal with the bigger targets.

I wouldn't bother with the web though, anything cruiser and bigger at that range can be handled by simply sorting out your transversal, and your 425's won't touch even webbed frigates (well, not elite ones anyway) inside web range.
Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-02-16 01:23:13 UTC
not worth it at all, get a vindicator.

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Sprite Can
#8 - 2012-02-16 01:31:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Sprite Can
I enjoy my Kronos. It doesn't require pimping and with it's web bonus it can take down orbiting frigates that are at least ~5km away even without its drones, from my experience. I prefer it over a Vindicator because the tank doesn't need to be ridiculously pimp to work. The fit I have in EFT has a C-Type Repper but honestly I never got around to actually upgrading my T2 Repper in-game because I have yet to run into a mission that has given my tank any trouble. (The Fed Navy web, however, is quite nice to have but not required.)

[Kronos, Kronos]
Core C-Type Large Armor Repairer
Armor Thermic Hardener II
Armor Kinetic Hardener II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

100MN Afterburner II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

425mm Railgun II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge L
Small Tractor Beam I
Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I

Large Capacitor Control Circuit I

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5

Refreshing Lemon-Lime~

Mike712
Tenth Plague of Egypt
#9 - 2012-02-16 04:17:17 UTC
Having used the kronos since the crucible hybrid buff I've found it to be a very effective mission ship.

Kehro, a few things about your proposed fit.

An X-type rep, c-type hardeners and an aux nano pump are complete overkill.

The kronos has a very strong capacitor, fitting a cap booster is a waste of that excellent attribute, with only a few cap mods you can get enough cap recharge to run everything pretty much cap stable.

Web is almost always a waste of a slot, think of all the missions where NPCs orbit inside of web range, not many right?

You want to have 1 interchangeable slot, probably your current web slot, which should be changed between, ECCM, web, afterburner, 3rd tracking comp, cap recharger or sensor booster depending on the mission.

Here is the setup I run:

[Kronos, Lv4 kronos]
Capacitor Power Relay II (or 3rd resist mod when I'm running angel extravaganza)
Federation Navy Magnetic Field Stabilizer

100MN Afterburner II (or ECCM, se-bo, web, tracking comp, omni tracking link, cap recharger)
Tracking Computer II
Tracking Computer II
Cap Recharger II

Small Tractor Beam II
Small Tractor Beam II
Salvager II

Garde II x3
Hobgoblin II x5

Regards, Mike712 The BattleClinic Team

Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#10 - 2012-02-16 09:49:11 UTC
Why is fitting a cap booster a waste? It frees up that rig slot for something useful.

Please don't bring anything Battleclinic-******** onto these threads, thanks.

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

hmskrecik
TransMine Group
Gluten Free Cartel
#11 - 2012-02-16 11:40:38 UTC
Bumblefck wrote:
Why is fitting a cap booster a waste? It frees up that rig slot for something useful.

It is a waste if you don't use it.

I myself do fit a booster on my Kronos but in fact I touch it rarely, so it serves more as an insurance than real utility. But in places like AE bonus it's real life saver.

Oh, and I'm Battleclinic member too. Go sue me.
hmskrecik
TransMine Group
Gluten Free Cartel
#12 - 2012-02-16 11:43:29 UTC
Kusum Fawn wrote:
use faction ammo from lp store, dont use t2 ammo in missions the cost isnt worth it

I'd say, use faction ammo AND t2, faction antimatter being bread and butter. But it pays off to keep in cargo small batch of Javelins and Spikes too.
Razor Blue
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-02-16 11:48:37 UTC
[Kronos, Rails]
Imperial Navy Large Armor Repairer
Imperial Navy Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane

Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 800
True Sansha Stasis Webifier
Republic Fleet 100MN Afterburner

Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I
Salvager I

Large Hybrid Locus Coordinator II
Large Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster II

This is what i used long time ago, it has good range and tracking.

Fitting cap recharging mods+rigs or tank rigs is pointless with Marauders. Those slots are better used make dps more effective.
Cyzlaki
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2012-02-16 12:37:38 UTC
Is Kronos really the best ship for Guristas?
Mike712
Tenth Plague of Egypt
#15 - 2012-02-16 12:43:31 UTC
Cyzlaki wrote:

No because even with ECCM fitted it will get perma-jammed in some missions, Tengu/CNR/Mach/Vindicator don't have this problem.

Regards, Mike712 The BattleClinic Team

hmskrecik
TransMine Group
Gluten Free Cartel
#16 - 2012-02-16 12:49:34 UTC
Mike712 wrote:
Cyzlaki wrote:

No because even with ECCM fitted it will get perma-jammed in some missions, Tengu/CNR/Mach/Vindicator don't have this problem.

It just "will get jammed", occasionally. More often than Vindicator but with ECCM it's bearable. Been there, done that.