These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

RIP - Microsoft Flight Simulator Series (1984-2010)

Author
Henry Haphorn
Killer Yankee
#1 - 2012-02-15 15:17:03 UTC
To any of you who have enjoyed the long-standing franchise that is the Microsoft Flight Simulator series, it is with great sorrow to announce that Microsoft has taken the plunge so deep into microtransactions that not only will MS Flight be just free, but all 3rd-party addons will be shut off completely (what? no more freeware?) and not allow anything more than a single island in Hawaii with just two measly planes that I may not even like, but they will also charge money for all addons made for it.

To better help summarize the situation, Mr. Francois here posted his own take on the recent turn of events.

I have to say that after playing the MSFS series (from FS95 to FSX), I feel disappointed by MS. In fact, I feel offended to think that they will treat their player base like this after all the major contributions that the freeware community gave that made the MSFS series so great. Let me name a few.

Simviation
Flight Sim
Flight Sim Wworld
Fly Away Simulation

This is not including some of the prominent payware 3rd party developers that were able to deliver better content for the MSFS series than MS ever did.

Now, the franchise has been reduced to a humiliating level of being F2P with nothing but Microtransactions and a content delivery system that severs the freeware developers' chances of providing meaningful content for the masses for those not willing to pony up more cash. And this is already making matters worse after Microsoft officially fired the ACES Studios team (the team that made the MSFS series so great). Shame, I tell ya. Shame.

Now, the only best simulator from MS is FSX and that will be the end of our 25+ year chapter of FS history. RIP

Adapt or Die

Merin Ryskin
Peregrine Industries
#2 - 2012-02-15 17:45:13 UTC
Yeah, that's pretty impressive stupidity. If I want to fly a small list of planes (no doubt the most boring ones) in a small area, and constantly pay for it I'll just drive over to the airport and fly the real thing. The whole fun of a PC simulator was the massive diversity of third-party stuff that you'll never get to fly in the real world (thankfully, given the number of times I've turned an F-104 into a smoking crater). Why even bother without that option? Why not just cancel the game entirely and save even more development time/money?

Plus, you know they're going to dumb it down to ensure the broadest possible appeal, and the physics model is going to be even less realistic than it already is. Good thing it's a single-player game and there's no reason to "upgrade" to the latest version.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-02-15 18:10:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Solstice Project
Merin Ryskin wrote:
If I want to fly a small list of planes (no doubt the most boring ones) in a small area, and constantly pay for it I'll just drive over to the airport and fly the real thing.

Egocentric.
Or are people there, where you live, really allowed to fly a plane even without a license ? Just so ? O_o

Edit:
Oh and ... i really liked this game back in the 386 era. Can't recall which version i had back then,
but since i've played this, for some reason, i can fly every single plane in every single game i have played
that involved sitting in a cockpit like i had never done anything else. Also: i'm very tired. Good night. o/
Palovana
Inner Fire Inc.
#4 - 2012-02-15 19:20:05 UTC
Good News!

Forza Motorsport 2013 will now include the Dacia Sandero!

(the bad news is that any other car will cost $/€/£1 each time you want to drive it)
Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#5 - 2012-02-15 19:36:35 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
Merin Ryskin wrote:
If I want to fly a small list of planes (no doubt the most boring ones) in a small area, and constantly pay for it I'll just drive over to the airport and fly the real thing.

Egocentric.
Or are people there, where you live, really allowed to fly a plane even without a license ? Just so ? O_o

Merin actually has a license if I recall from an old old thread on the old forums.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#6 - 2012-02-15 21:58:27 UTC
Looks like MS just decided that MSFS still had too much of an edge on X-plane.

Thankfully i just finished with civilian flight sims with, huh, i think it was FS 2000? I'm a lot more in the business of shooting down airplanes rather than merely fly them... Twisted
Fraszoid
Miner Guide to the Galaxy
#7 - 2012-02-16 01:15:46 UTC
Well maybe FlightGear will get more people migrating towards it and get a push in development from all the modders that can't mod FSX anymore. FlightGear is also free and has the whole world open for free, lots of planes too.
Grimpak
Manufactorum.
#8 - 2012-02-16 01:43:54 UTC
Palovana wrote:
Forza Motorsport 2013 will now include the Dacia Sandero!

I don't even know if having the (very) poor mans version of the Renault Clio is good news.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Merin Ryskin
Peregrine Industries
#9 - 2012-02-16 02:15:08 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
Merin actually has a license if I recall from an old old thread on the old forums.

You recall correctly, and win the "best memory ever" award.

And sure, it might be egocentric, but it's my money. Microsoft just removed everything that made the previous games fun, and I suspect a lot of the fan base feels the same way. And I really doubt that a handful of microtransaction sales from the few casual players who like the game enough to actually pay extra money for it will make up for the lost sales of a full $60+ game.
Brujo Loco
Brujeria Teologica
#10 - 2012-02-16 02:40:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Brujo Loco
Honestly, I never understood the joy in flying a plane or flying object that didnt PEW PEW LAZORS or MISSILE STRAFE MACHINEGUNNED Stuff ...

I remember the first time a friend gave me a copy of MS Flight Simulator back when you could pirate it on 5 1/4 Floppy disks with kompressor or CP Backup ... been a while.

Friend: " OMG MAN, check this awesome simulation GAME!!!!!!! IT's LIKE SUPER DUPER HYPER MEGA WOW!"

Me: " WOA REALLY???? IS IT BETTER Than F-19 and F117-A and Falcon 3.0?"

Friend: " WHAT? MAN ITS BETTER, its like super real with awesome graphs, you can even land in XXX city, here !!!! you can like place airports and land on them!!!"

Me: "NO WAI"

Friend: " YESSSS INSTALL IT!!!!"

After 3 hours ...

Me: " Where the hell you shoot?"

Friend: " What? no you just fly"

Me: " Lol yeah, stop joking where you shoot? where's the mission objectives?"

Friend: " Errr, no you just fly ..."

Me: " WHAT? ..."

Friend: " Yeah, last night I flew from X to X for 2 hours, super realistic, there was even a STORM!" ...

Me: " ..."

Friend: " Hmm, here I brought you another spinoff copy of the new Gold Box Series, it's Called Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday"

Me: " OMGGGGGGGGG WEEEEEEEE!!!"

And that was the last time I dared to touch anything Flight Simulator by MS.

Just joking, I just never really " got into" the mood of the game.

I just freaked out at some of my friends sitting for hours planning and plotting the best flying routes ... perhaps that's how people felt when they saw me playing D&D ... lol.

Oh well, sorry for the demise, I know some people will cry heavily this sudden change in turn for the series, it's always CRAP when someone %#^@^@ up the game and game franchise you have loved for years and tries to turn it into a money mart blatant money grabbing title. (eyes CCP warily)

Inner Sayings of BrujoLoco: http://eve-files.com/sig/brujoloco

Henry Haphorn
Killer Yankee
#11 - 2012-02-16 04:49:14 UTC
Brujo Loco wrote:
I just freaked out at some of my friends sitting for hours planning and plotting the best flying routes ... perhaps that's how people felt when they saw me playing D&D ... lol.

Oh well, sorry for the demise, I know some people will cry heavily this sudden change in turn for the series, it's always CRAP when someone %#^@^@ up the game and game franchise you have loved for years and tries to turn it into a money mart blatant money grabbing title. (eyes CCP warily)

I understand. Perhaps MSFS was the main reason I grew so attached to Eve Online. I regularly played online plotting and planning things to make sure my flight goes smoothly. I even tried using makeshift Jeppesson maps. Nowadays, It's Eve-Central and Spreadsheets for internet spaceships.

Overall, I guess X-Plane will dominate for a while on the commercial simulator market, assuming Laminar Research doesn't srew it up like Microsoft.

As for FlightGear, I tried that too. I loved it. The only thing I found wierd with it was the controls, but that was because I got use to the typical controls of MSFS.

It breaks my heart even more considering that I also contributed my own addons to the franchise. If you ever heard of Flight Sim Ground Vehicles (FSGV), those addons were mine. It was a short-lived hobby because life got in the way, I have a job and I'm back in college again. This time I'm studying to be a career pilot.

Anyways, I will forever remember the MSFS series as it use to be: Fun, 3rd-party driven, community driven, and you were never really alone as the serious sim folks always enjoyed multiplayer sessions like comrades hanging out at Red Square.

Adapt or Die

Merin Ryskin
Peregrine Industries
#12 - 2012-02-16 04:59:49 UTC
Henry Haphorn wrote:
I even tried using makeshift Jeppesson maps.

This is one of the things that was so much fun about it, you could get out the real paper charts, plan a flight, and then follow the entire thing in the virtual world without ever opening the in-game map. All the radio frequencies, beacon locations, etc, all were 100% accurate.

Now, does anyone think that this latest version is going to have all that (especially in the outside-view-only planes)?
Parthonax
#13 - 2012-02-16 07:28:14 UTC
thank god i still have my IL2 sturmovikh with all expa,sions and tons of mods to play with
but yes it is sad to see such a legendary franchise getting killed all in the name of greed
so this is permanence
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#14 - 2012-02-16 15:07:56 UTC
It is easy to see what's happened, Microsoft have seen the success of all these different train and ship simulators which only come with a basic pack and then the players have to buy an expensive DLC which only adds an extra vehicle or route if the player wants more.

That is always enough to start the dollar signs spinning in Microsoft's eyes.
Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#15 - 2012-02-16 15:20:42 UTC
Parthonax wrote:
thank god i still have my IL2 sturmovikh with all expa,sions and tons of mods to play with
but yes it is sad to see such a legendary franchise getting killed all in the name of greed

Same here except I just have the base game. Still, I find it funner to shoot at things while I'm up in the air. I like to usually outnumber myself 4(squads) to 1 (squad) and see how long I last.

Fun note: On the American fighter campaign, the only 2 planes I have ever successfully landed were Swiss cheese with the engines shot out. I can have a flawless run and wipe out some 15 enemy fighters and I'll biff the landing like none other. Gave myself the call sign 'Lost another one Sir'.

Alain Kinsella
#16 - 2012-02-16 15:56:43 UTC
I'll have to check on my old roommate to see if he's heard the news. He's done a lot of those 'fly from X to Y' things, and its because he used to fly IRL and would like to again one day (this used to be touted as one of the best trainers, other than proprietary stuff). One of his favorite add-ons is the 100% replica 747, the one you have to startup just like the RL ones.

He also considered it dead already, the moment he heard about the original team being canned.

As for myself, the last sim of that sort I had any interest in was Sierra's Helicopter Simulator (yep, they made one). It actually had a 2-player combat mode, you had to link the PCs using a Null serial cable. Bear Even came with a 2 PC license so you could play it legally that way.

"The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever."

Currently Retired / Semi-Casual (pending changes to RL concerns).

Henry Haphorn
Killer Yankee
#17 - 2012-02-16 18:48:22 UTC
Alain Kinsella wrote:
I'll have to check on my old roommate to see if he's heard the news. He's done a lot of those 'fly from X to Y' things, and its because he used to fly IRL and would like to again one day (this used to be touted as one of the best trainers, other than proprietary stuff). One of his favorite add-ons is the 100% replica 747, the one you have to startup just like the RL ones.

He also considered it dead already, the moment he heard about the original team being canned.

As for myself, the last sim of that sort I had any interest in was Sierra's Helicopter Simulator (yep, they made one). It actually had a 2-player combat mode, you had to link the PCs using a Null serial cable. Bear Even came with a 2 PC license so you could play it legally that way.

I think the MSFS folks are still going at it with multiplayer sessions in which they either do virtual airshows (I actually participated in several in my lifetime), some even do mock ATC scenarios with some people who actually are/were air traffic controllers. Fun times.

Michael Dietrich wrote:
Fun note: On the American fighter campaign, the only 2 planes I have ever successfully landed were Swiss cheese with the engines shot out. I can have a flawless run and wipe out some 15 enemy fighters and I'll biff the landing like none other. Gave myself the call sign 'Lost another one Sir'.

LOL

At least you managed to reach the airstrip. I always ended up being ripped out of the sky like an untanked Machinaw getting sodomized by Catalysts.

Adapt or Die

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#18 - 2012-02-16 19:46:35 UTC
Henry Haphorn wrote:

LOL

At least you managed to reach the airstrip. I always ended up being ripped out of the sky like an untanked Machinaw getting sodomized by Catalysts.

I've found several tactics for shaking bogies that tend to work pretty well. (p.s. I don't know aviator terms so pleasecdon't hose me for mistakes)

#1. Quickly pull into a 60 d climb and cut power. Your sudden deceleration will more often than not cause the bogey to overshoot you from below effectively putting you behind him. After that it's just a matter of catching up and getting the shot. A major downside however is that sometimes the bogies manage to stay on your tail which quickly becomes literal.

#2. Reduce engine power and use your Rudder and aileron controls to perform a sweeping bowl maneuver under his gun fire which again will create enough friction to cause the bogey to pass you. This way allows you to regain speed faster than option one, however it still keeps you in the line of fire longer.

#3. Kiss the ground. I've noticed that the computer will only go so low, so if you go just a little lower they tend to break off and go after another target. I really do mean to kiss the ground as in being as little as 5 meters from death at high speed. One wrong move and you quickly become a fireball. This is the downside, you are very limited in any kind of maneuver until you pull up and get back into the fight, which sometimes take a while when all the planes are 2000 m up.

I personally love this flight sim and I like starting in all kinds of situations. My 2 favorite is Okinawa against 4 flights of zero's while I'm usually either in a P-61, P-63, or P-47. Usually 2 flights are sitting on the runway waiting to taxi and I try to dive right through AA fire to strafe the lot of the before they take off. Many times I either get a direct hit and explode or I don't pull up in time and I wipe out an entire row of planes with my fiery corpse.
My other favorite is usually any map where I put myself on defense with scramble so I have to get my plane started and in the air while already being shot at. It s fun as hell to barely be lifting off and suddenly seeing a strafe right over your featherybird-pit (yeah take that ccp).

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#19 - 2012-02-16 21:07:25 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
Henry Haphorn wrote:

LOL

I've found several tactics for shaking bogies that tend to work pretty well. (p.s. I don't know aviator terms so pleasecdon't hose me for mistakes)

#1. Quickly pull into a 60 d climb and cut power. Your sudden deceleration will more often than not cause the bogey to overshoot you from below effectively putting you behind him. After that it's just a matter of catching up and getting the shot. A major downside however is that sometimes the bogies manage to stay on your tail which quickly becomes literal.

#2. Reduce engine power and use your Rudder and aileron controls to perform a sweeping bowl maneuver under his gun fire which again will create enough friction to cause the bogey to pass you. This way allows you to regain speed faster than option one, however it still keeps you in the line of fire longer.

#3. Kiss the ground. I've noticed that the computer will only go so low, so if you go just a little lower they tend to break off and go after another target. I really do mean to kiss the ground as in being as little as 5 meters from death at high speed. One wrong move and you quickly become a fireball. This is the downside, you are very limited in any kind of maneuver until you pull up and get back into the fight, which sometimes take a while when all the planes are 2000 m up.

I personally love this flight sim and I like starting in all kinds of situations. My 2 favorite is Okinawa against 4 flights of zero's while I'm usually either in a P-61, P-63, or P-47. Usually 2 flights are sitting on the runway waiting to taxi and I try to dive right through AA fire to strafe the lot of the before they take off. Many times I either get a direct hit and explode or I don't pull up in time and I wipe out an entire row of planes with my fiery corpse.
My other favorite is usually any map where I put myself on defense with scramble so I have to get my plane started and in the air while already being shot at. It s fun as hell to barely be lifting off and suddenly seeing a strafe right over your featherybird-pit (yeah take that ccp).

Ah, scrambling.... when i flew Il-2 online, I used to give vulchers/campers a nasty surprise with a I-153... it would jumpt to the sky, turn on a dime and pew-pew somebody's arse in a matter of seconds. I even fitted rockets to it for extra fun... Twisted

(Also, manually retracting the gear amidst a dogfight was... interesting).
Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#20 - 2012-02-16 21:25:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Morwen Lagann
If you want a good sim with an extremely realistic flight model, definitely go for X-Plane. Not sure what version they're on now, but it's worth a look, and has a great mod/addon community.

Costs a bit, and takes up a bunch of space, but it's worth it. And last time I checked all the add-on planes and such were free, but that was a couple years ago so it might have changed.

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque

12Next page