These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

PLEX about to become illegal in the US?

First post
Author
Zirise
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#21 - 2011-09-19 17:53:37 UTC
CCP Zymurgist wrote:
The big difference between PLEX and say Bitcoins is that PLEX is in-game only and it can't be turned into money. Bitcoins can be used to by things, even PLEX, making it a currency.

Both are "virtual" in a sense but it really comes down to the method they can be used. If we struck a deal with Papa Johns so you could use PLEX to feed your family (AS AN EXAMPLE) then it could be classified as currency.

DO WANT PLEX FOR PIZZA.
Emperor Salazar
Remote Soviet Industries
Insidious Empire
#22 - 2011-09-19 18:00:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Emperor Salazar
CCP Zymurgist wrote:
The big difference between PLEX and say Bitcoins is that PLEX is in-game only and it can't be turned into money. Bitcoins can be used to by things, even PLEX, making it a currency.

Both are "virtual" in a sense but it really comes down to the method they can be used. If we struck a deal with Papa Johns so you could use PLEX to feed your family (AS AN EXAMPLE) then it could be classified as currency.

So you're saying PLEX for pizza is in the works then?
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#23 - 2011-09-19 18:02:51 UTC
Confirming support for PLEX for pizza (although it would make me go broke (in game) in like a week).
Dradius Calvantia
Lip Shords
#24 - 2011-09-19 18:04:51 UTC
Eh.. just have the next tengu you ransom send you a pizza instead of isk...

Not actually endorsing this as it is technically against the EULA. I will say this has happened before though.
tika te
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2011-09-19 18:09:02 UTC
so if all arguments fail..the bad end: no plex for US ppl.; who cares??! - the world is not "revolving" around US...
Kitty McKitty
In Praise Of Shadows
#26 - 2011-09-19 18:09:33 UTC
Best story ever.

Haviing your portrait painted here helps INTAKI Disabled Children ♥

Dalmont Delantee
Gecko Corp
#27 - 2011-09-19 18:10:16 UTC
Simetraz wrote:
Server not in the U.S.A.

This doesn't matter, in the UK there is lots of issues with americans in the UK holding UK investment assets, if an investment house does not segregate out their US citizens then they will suffer fines and/or banned from doing business in the US. Considering a lot of these investment houses are US companies they are shitting bricks.

The US laws tend to screw anyone up if they don't comply, especially if you are dealing with US citizens. In fact, they screw their own citizens up, firend of mine just went back to the US after living in the UK for 10 years, because she didn't declare some interest on a bank account for 3 years she was fined $14,000 reduced down to $3,000. The interest was only £150....
Dalloway Jones
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2011-09-19 18:19:20 UTC
Cyniac wrote:
That's a minor issue compared to what would happen if the US really decided to go through and impose trade sanctions against Iceland because of the whaling conflict... while unlikely here is how a worst case scenario would play out:

Honestly there is more of a chance of the US deciding "Hey whaling wasn't so bad. I think we'll join you." Especially if a republican wins the next election.
Dalmont Delantee
Gecko Corp
#29 - 2011-09-19 18:25:41 UTC
Dalloway Jones wrote:
Cyniac wrote:
That's a minor issue compared to what would happen if the US really decided to go through and impose trade sanctions against Iceland because of the whaling conflict... while unlikely here is how a worst case scenario would play out:

Honestly there is more of a chance of the US deciding "Hey whaling wasn't so bad. I think we'll join you." Especially if a republican wins the next election.

Need guns to shoot whales, means no gun control (Those pesky whales they will fight back! Need to shoot them) plus you can get oil from whales...oh my they are dead..:( poor whales...
Barakkus
#30 - 2011-09-19 19:02:36 UTC
CCP Zymurgist wrote:
If we struck a deal with Papa Johns so you could use PLEX to feed your family (AS AN EXAMPLE) then it could be classified as currency.

Implement nao, thnx.

http://youtu.be/yytbDZrw1jc

The Apostle
Doomheim
#31 - 2011-09-19 22:11:39 UTC
Quote:
Need guns to shoot whales, means no gun control (Those pesky whales they will fight back! Need to shoot them) plus you can get oil from whales...oh my they are dead..:( poor whales...

Speaking of whales, don't carebears already use and lose Orcas and Rorquals. How about we give them an indy-super-cap with guns to fight gankers. We could call it a Sperm Whale?

pew pew, you're f****

No?

[i]Take an aspirin. If pain persists consult your local priest. WTB: An Austrian kangaroo![/i]

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#32 - 2011-09-20 01:12:02 UTC
Brock Nelson
#33 - 2011-09-20 01:17:08 UTC
Oh jesus, internet lawyers have taken over this thread.

Signature removed, CCP Phantom

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#34 - 2011-09-20 01:20:57 UTC
/also supporting PLEX for Pizza. ...and hot wings.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Kitty McKitty
In Praise Of Shadows
#35 - 2011-09-20 01:25:27 UTC
I got a friend into playing EVE and he would buy me pints in exchange for ISK. They were fairly expensive pints but I would rather have beer than this excess of ISK.

Haviing your portrait painted here helps INTAKI Disabled Children ♥

Brock Nelson
#36 - 2011-09-20 01:29:06 UTC
Kitty McKitty wrote:
I got a friend into playing EVE and he would buy me pints in exchange for ISK. They were fairly expensive pints but I would rather have beer than this excess of ISK.

You're onto something here...I actually have a friend who plays eve as well and begs me for isk every once in awhile...

Signature removed, CCP Phantom

KaarBaak
Squirrel Team
#37 - 2011-09-20 01:29:15 UTC
Kitty McKitty wrote:

Imagine a bar at FF2012 that accepts only isk.

KB

Dum Spiro Spero

Headerman
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#38 - 2011-09-20 01:34:28 UTC
DrDan21 wrote:
CCP Zymurgist wrote:
The big difference between PLEX and say Bitcoins is that PLEX is in-game only and it can't be turned into money.

WWWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

fyp

Australian Fanfest Event https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=90062

Y U NO
Doomheim
#39 - 2011-09-20 01:45:30 UTC
Cyniac wrote:

POTUS decides that enough is enough and enacts economic sanctions against Iceland for breach of the IWC moratorium (I know a bit more complex but trying to do a brief version of this)

Icelandic economic interests with links to the US are identified - CCP as an icelandic company gets flagged up.

US starts to enforce trade sanctions - while you would still be able to play EVE from the US you'd not be able to pay CCP for anything which would hurt some more than others.

Pain and suffering would follow.

Compared to that collecting social security numbers is a minor annoyance.

Y U NO MAKE ******* GLASS CRATER IN ICELAND?
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#40 - 2011-09-20 02:11:58 UTC
Cyniac wrote:

POTUS decides that enough is enough and enacts economic sanctions against Iceland for breach of the IWC moratorium (I know a bit more complex but trying to do a brief version of this)

Icelandic economic interests with links to the US are identified - CCP as an icelandic company gets flagged up.

US starts to enforce trade sanctions - while you would still be able to play EVE from the US you'd not be able to pay CCP for anything which would hurt some more than others.

Pain and suffering would follow.

Compared to that collecting social security numbers is a minor annoyance.

Please. With the EvE community? lol! It's called a proxy server. Hell... I bet most players would get foreign accounts. There wouldn't even be a dip in the server population for a day, if something remotely that crazy came to pass. Hell, the guys ENFORCING something like that wold probably be players!

"No" is my final answer, Regis. Couldn't happen.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Previous page123Next page