These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New Dev Blog: Your Client, Made Gooder

First post First post First post
Author
CCP Veritas
C C P
C C P Alliance
#41 - 2012-02-14 17:12:41 UTC
Salpun wrote:
Whats the issue with FPS drop and feeze when warping away from mining belts and fleet fights. Its up to twice per warp now.

There's a lot of setup and tear-down when new items enter/exit the grid. It's on the list to hammer at.

CCP Veritas - Technical Director - EVE Online

Sinooko
Tharumec
Gespenster Kompanie
#42 - 2012-02-14 17:12:48 UTC
If i weren't married eve would be my valentine.
CCP Habakuk
C C P
C C P Alliance
#43 - 2012-02-14 17:15:17 UTC
Btw: We are running a mass test on our test-server Singularity today evening at 20:00 UTC (=evetime) with these improvements (including the change to the locking behavior). Feel free to join in if you want to try them out or want to help us with making sure, that we don't introduce new bugs. More information about the mass test can be found in this thread.

CCP Habakuk | EVE Quality Assurance | Team Five 0 | (Team Gridlock)

Bug reporting | Mass Testing

Palovana
Inner Fire Inc.
#44 - 2012-02-14 17:15:40 UTC
CCP Veritas wrote:
Sascha Valieri wrote:
Quote:
With the increased update rate, we made one super tiny functional change which you’ll probably notice and hopefully like – the sorting of the overview will lock when you hover over it. Previously it would freeze if you held your lock button, but with things moving around quicker it felt better to lock sooner than that.

Does that mean, a new Target does not appear in the overview if I hover over it?

Imagine a Gate you are on one side and a nother player is jumping through. Does he appear on that overview after decloaking when I hover over the overview or not?

New objects show up at the bottom of the list and objects that leave get greyed out while sorting is locked. Same behavior as exists on TQ today if you hold down your lock key (ctrl by default).

Thanks for the clarification about new and no-longer-on-grid objects.

One more question as I can't test on Sisi right now - while the Overview is hover-locked, do the distance and various velocity columns still update every second?
Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#45 - 2012-02-14 17:17:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Bloodpetal
CCP Veritas wrote:

New objects show up at the bottom of the list and objects that leave get greyed out while sorting is locked. Same behavior as exists on TQ today if you hold down your lock key (ctrl by default).

I didn't notice this on SISI when i tried, not sure if it was because it was just that natural that I didn't notice - or didn't have the chance to notice between being blown to bits.

Now. The reason I'm not sure if I'm going to like it is simply if it's going to interfere with natural usage by being FORCED to move my mouse off of the overview to get an update. It seems unnatural that I have to do that if I want a refresh. I'll just have to see it in action and see how I feel about it more.

Where I am.

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#46 - 2012-02-14 17:21:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
On the last Sisi test I had this issue where warping OFF grid would result in a several second pause in the screen updating. Has that going to get fixed?

Edit: just read up and saw CCP Veritas answered this. Thanks!

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

CCP Veritas
C C P
C C P Alliance
#47 - 2012-02-14 17:22:24 UTC
Palovana wrote:
One more question as I can't test on Sisi right now - while the Overview is hover-locked, do the distance and various velocity columns still update every second?

Yep, it's just the sorting that locks.

Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#48 - 2012-02-14 17:23:14 UTC
CCP Habakuk wrote:
Btw: We are running a mass test on our test-server Singularity today evening at 20:00 UTC (=evetime) with these improvements (including the change to the locking behavior). Feel free to join in if you want to try them out or want to help us with making sure, that we don't introduce new bugs. More information about the mass test can be found in this thread.

Shameless plug! Pirate

Where I am.

Jas Dor
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2012-02-14 17:24:56 UTC
Mechaet wrote:
I wonder about secondary side effects from this. Don't get me wrong, it's great that the overview and brackets are getting some performance upgrades. But what they said about upping the hertz on the refresh of the data... I wonder if that will result in more load on the servers, and if the optimization thus far on the server side has been enough to accommodate (what appears to be) a simple timer change. Or is it the same data rate it had before, you just SEE the data 2.5x faster?

Probably going to result in more cloaking ships getting ganked. 2.5 second refresh + 2 second human lag = MWD + Cloak trick works. Not sure it will anymore.
Tarsas Phage
Sniggerdly
#50 - 2012-02-14 17:29:19 UTC
Thank you CCP Veritas!

Question - in the course of working on these fixes, have you fixed the bug where the overview occasionally fails to get or process a pilot's Alliance tag, therefore not applying the appropriate color tag and any filtering to his entry in the overview and ship bracket in space?

Example situation: You have an overview tab selected that has a profile set to show only reds.

1) Person who is red appears on grid. -10 standing color tag does appear next to his entry in Local list.
2) Person's ship does not show up on overview. Switching to an "all-ships" overview tab shows his ship as neutral, with his entry in the Alliance tag column empty.

This happens only very occasionally it would seem, but when it does (eg, a war target) man can it be bad.

/T
CCP Veritas
C C P
C C P Alliance
#51 - 2012-02-14 17:31:16 UTC
Tarsas Phage wrote:
Thank you CCP Veritas!

Question - in the course of working on these fixes, have you fixed the bug where the overview occasionally fails to get or process a pilot's Alliance tag, therefore not applying the appropriate color tag and any filtering to his entry in the overview and ship bracket in space?

Probably not. I'm aware of that one and have it in my head while I'm going through code. Hopefully at some point I stumble upon something that could cause that. Without a reliable reproduction (as you say, it's rare), that's all I can really do Ugh

Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2012-02-14 17:34:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Alx Warlord
NICE!!! That was needed!!! =D

keep the good work ccp!!!

BTW: I missed the devblogs these days....
Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
Masters of Flying Objects
#53 - 2012-02-14 17:36:17 UTC
Client size/ memery usage up or down?
Twisted

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

Dodona
The Guardian Knights
#54 - 2012-02-14 17:39:47 UTC
You mean when I open a gazillion windows, Estamel will spawn endlessly for me, too?!

Deal!
CCP Veritas
C C P
C C P Alliance
#55 - 2012-02-14 17:40:59 UTC
Dodona wrote:
You mean when I open a gazillion windows, Estamel will spawn endlessly for me, too?!

Deal!

If it doesn't happen right away keep trying.

GM Karidor
Game Masters
C C P Alliance
#56 - 2012-02-14 17:47:50 UTC
Salpun wrote:
Twisted

Not sure about the client, but if the forums memery usage spikes, I know who to blame Blink

GM Karidor | Senior Game Master

Frank Pannon
Emerald Swine Escavations
#57 - 2012-02-14 17:48:38 UTC
Performace tweaks are always greatly appreciated. It feels REALLY good to see such changes to my favourite game. Keep up the good work!

Besbin
Blue Republic
RvB - BLUE Republic
#58 - 2012-02-14 17:49:30 UTC
Jas Dor wrote:
Probably going to result in more cloaking ships getting ganked. 2.5 second refresh + 2 second human lag = MWD + Cloak trick works. Not sure it will anymore.

Possibly, but we're only talking a 0,75 second actual change here, so the effect shouldn't be that big.

(change from 2,5 sec to 1 sec = 1,5 sec faster...however we need to take arrival times into account, so on average the cloaky will show 0,75 secs faster assuming an even distribution)
St Mio
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#59 - 2012-02-14 17:51:08 UTC
UI fixes best fixes <3
CCP Veritas
C C P
C C P Alliance
#60 - 2012-02-14 17:57:00 UTC
Salpun wrote:
Twisted

We're not expecting any significant change in memory usage with these changes.