These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New Dev Blog: Your Client, Made Gooder

First post First post First post
Author
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#21 - 2012-02-14 16:49:36 UTC
Devblog as a valentine's day present. Novel, but I'll take is. Especially as it's a good one Big smile

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

TheLostPenguin
Surreal Departure
#22 - 2012-02-14 16:52:48 UTC  |  Edited by: TheLostPenguin
Increasing the refresh rate is nice, and if it runs smoother for the occasions it used to hiccup[ thats awesome, BUT....

Quote:
the sorting of the overview will lock when you hover over it.

This really needs to be (gasp horrible word coming) optional! I very often have my mouseover the overview for the bulk of the time in combat, it only leaves the overview briefly to change selected target (assuming I dont do so using the overview) or interact with a wreck/can. The rest of the time I tend to keep the cursor there as it's where it's likely to be next used, I can see there's no problem at all for people with diferent styles of using the ui but will really suck having to keep moving the cursor away from where it needs to be to get things to update.

On an related-but-unrelated note, have you fixed the actual functionality of the overview yet? I still routinely have no jaming notification icon(s) untill AFTER the jamming clears, would be nice to have those back and accurate (espcially with the higher refresh rate on the overview).
Mechaet
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2012-02-14 16:54:22 UTC
I wonder about secondary side effects from this. Don't get me wrong, it's great that the overview and brackets are getting some performance upgrades. But what they said about upping the hertz on the refresh of the data... I wonder if that will result in more load on the servers, and if the optimization thus far on the server side has been enough to accommodate (what appears to be) a simple timer change. Or is it the same data rate it had before, you just SEE the data 2.5x faster?
Tanaka Aiko
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#24 - 2012-02-14 16:57:07 UTC
seems pretty good, hope i'll see the difference :)
TheLostPenguin
Surreal Departure
#25 - 2012-02-14 16:57:31 UTC
Mechaet wrote:
I wonder about secondary side effects from this. Don't get me wrong, it's great that the overview and brackets are getting some performance upgrades. But what they said about upping the hertz on the refresh of the data... I wonder if that will result in more load on the servers, and if the optimization thus far on the server side has been enough to accommodate (what appears to be) a simple timer change. Or is it the same data rate it had before, you just SEE the data 2.5x faster?

Reads to me like they've just made the client considerably better at getting the data from the server onscreen, rather than actually changing anything about how/when data is sent.
CCP Veritas
C C P
C C P Alliance
#26 - 2012-02-14 16:57:42 UTC
Mechaet wrote:
I wonder if that will result in more load on the servers, and if the optimization thus far on the server side has been enough to accommodate (what appears to be) a simple timer change. Or is it the same data rate it had before, you just SEE the data 2.5x faster?

Yeah, it's the stuff at the end there. The protocol from client to server didn't change, just how fast the client updates the overview specifically.

CCP Veritas - Technical Director - EVE Online

Swooshie
USA Canada Private Corp
#27 - 2012-02-14 16:58:20 UTC
So far, in my book, possible side-effects of overview locking don't seem too much compared to the consequence of clicking on the wrong thing like it happens now. I guess we will see.

Unless there is a monster hidden in there, I'll learn to leave my mouse a little further to the side with pleasure!

"It is when I think about meaning that I lose what I meant to say."     -Swooshie

Adam Reed
The Winchester Club
#28 - 2012-02-14 16:59:14 UTC
Wow, we wait for weeks for a dev blog to come along and then one comes along all at once. And it's ****. Hooray.
Mechaet
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2012-02-14 17:01:39 UTC
CCP Veritas wrote:
Mechaet wrote:
I wonder if that will result in more load on the servers, and if the optimization thus far on the server side has been enough to accommodate (what appears to be) a simple timer change. Or is it the same data rate it had before, you just SEE the data 2.5x faster?

Yeah, it's the stuff at the end there. The protocol from client to server didn't change, just how fast the client updates the overview specifically.

Awesome, rock on Team Gridlock!
Bagehi
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#30 - 2012-02-14 17:01:51 UTC
Veritas gets a beer at Fan Fest for this one!
Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#31 - 2012-02-14 17:03:41 UTC
CCP Veritas, will you be my valentine?

CSM 7 Secretary CSM 6 Alternate Delegate @two_step_eve on Twitter My Blog

Meissa Anunthiel
Redshift Industrial
Rooks and Kings
#32 - 2012-02-14 17:03:52 UTC
As always, CCP Veritas and Team Gridlock are made of pure awesomesauce. Let's praise them with high praise.

Member of CSM 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7

Sascha Valieri
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2012-02-14 17:05:25 UTC
Quote:
With the increased update rate, we made one super tiny functional change which you’ll probably notice and hopefully like – the sorting of the overview will lock when you hover over it. Previously it would freeze if you held your lock button, but with things moving around quicker it felt better to lock sooner than that.

Does that mean, a new Target does not appear in the overview if I hover over it?

Imagine a Gate you are on one side and a nother player is jumping through. Does he appear on that overview after decloaking when I hover over the overview or not?

Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
Masters of Flying Objects
#34 - 2012-02-14 17:05:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Salpun
Yay improvements. They look great on Sisi.

Whats the issue with FPS drop and feeze when warping away from mining belts and fleet fights. Its up to twice per warp now.

It seams like its a clear overview bug like its waiting for conformation that you have left grid before it removes the info or a memory issue because the more clients I have open the more it happens.

Is this issue next on the list?

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

Di Mulle
#35 - 2012-02-14 17:05:53 UTC
Awesome stuff. Real awesome. not :awesome: Twisted
<<Insert some waste of screen space here>>
Damien Smith
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2012-02-14 17:07:20 UTC
Just so long as 'lock' doesn't mean 'freeze'. Keeping targets in position for the duration your mouse is over it is good. Not updating the overview to show new targets is bad. Add new targets to the bottom of the list if possible so at least you know they're there without affecting the rest of the list.

Holding the mouse over the overview while holding ctrl is standard practice for instalocking a target after it decloaks to warp so the overview not refreshing in that situation could be bad.
CCP Veritas
C C P
C C P Alliance
#37 - 2012-02-14 17:08:36 UTC
Sascha Valieri wrote:
Quote:
With the increased update rate, we made one super tiny functional change which you’ll probably notice and hopefully like – the sorting of the overview will lock when you hover over it. Previously it would freeze if you held your lock button, but with things moving around quicker it felt better to lock sooner than that.

Does that mean, a new Target does not appear in the overview if I hover over it?

Imagine a Gate you are on one side and a nother player is jumping through. Does he appear on that overview after decloaking when I hover over the overview or not?

New objects show up at the bottom of the list and objects that leave get greyed out while sorting is locked. Same behavior as exists on TQ today if you hold down your lock key (ctrl by default).

CCP Veritas - Technical Director - EVE Online

Damien Smith
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2012-02-14 17:11:07 UTC
CCP Veritas wrote:
Sascha Valieri wrote:
Quote:

New objects show up at the bottom of the list and objects that leave get greyed out while sorting is locked. Same behavior as exists on TQ today if you hold down your lock key (ctrl by default).

Cool. Thanks for explaining.
Sascha Valieri
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2012-02-14 17:11:57 UTC
CCP Veritas wrote:
Sascha Valieri wrote:
Quote:

Thx for those Infos.

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#40 - 2012-02-14 17:12:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Destination SkillQueue
Damien Smith wrote:
Just so long as 'lock' doesn't mean 'freeze'. Keeping targets in position for the duration your mouse is over it is good. Not updating the overview to show new targets is bad. Add new targets to the bottom of the list if possible so at least you know they're there without affecting the rest of the list.

Holding the mouse over the overview while holding ctrl is standard practice for instalocking a target after it decloaks to warp so the overview not refreshing in that situation could be bad.

This really. Lock is fine in my book, although locking it through ctrl has worked just fine so far, but not updating would be pants on head ********.

EDIT:
CCP Veritas wrote:

Thanks for the quick response.