These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

What is a carebare?

Author
Maxious
Dragon Knights of EvE
#1 - 2012-02-14 14:27:50 UTC
Sorry I don't interact much and it's been some time, I've kinda lost track of the formn lingo. Unless there is a list of terms somewhere. Just wondering what you guys think. What's is a carebare? How do you classify one? Do you think their good or bad? What's your thoughts on them in general? And how could one avoid being one?
Angela Constantine
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2012-02-14 14:32:20 UTC
Someone who doesn't care about being naked? or you mean carebear in which case I its someone who should be playing WoW.
Gummy Plaude
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-02-14 14:32:33 UTC
I have just thoughts about the people using the "carebear" term which to my understanding is used to design players avoiding risky activities, mainly but not limited to PvP.
Aiwha
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-02-14 14:33:15 UTC
A carebear is a whiny (please note this, it is important) denizen of highsec that engages in either mining, or mission running. The carebear believes that this game is WoW in space, and expects it to be treated as such. Hallmark of the carebear are terrible fits, an immense ego, and many many long winded forum threads detailing how terrible this game is.

A carebear is not to be confused with an industrialist, someone who simply engages in highsec activity while following generally accepted standards and practices. An industrialist takes proper precaution and only suffers losses in circumstances that could be considered "bad luck".

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

malaire
#5 - 2012-02-14 14:34:01 UTC
Maxious wrote:
And how could one avoid being one?

Why would anyone want to avoid being carebear? Shocked

New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else

gfldex
#6 - 2012-02-14 14:34:49 UTC
A carebear is one who does not want to fight to win.

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

Mike712
Tenth Plague of Egypt
#7 - 2012-02-14 14:35:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Mike712
notsureifseriousbut....

Maxious wrote:
What's is a carebare?

Firstly, it's carebear.

Quote:
How do you classify one?

Player who only participates in PvE/Isk making activities.

Quote:
Do you think their good or bad? What's your thoughts on them in general?

Nothing against them generally, just think they are missing out on a large part of what eve has to offer.

Quote:
And how could one avoid being one?

PvP once in a while.

Regards, Mike712 The BattleClinic Team

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#8 - 2012-02-14 14:39:28 UTC
A carebear is a player who wants to change the rules to protect himself from others, instead of using existing game mechanics and protect himself like everyone else.

What people do in game doesn't really have much to do with this, carebear is an attitude, not a profession.

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#9 - 2012-02-14 14:41:19 UTC
It's a [generally] derogatory term used to describe people who are extremely "risk-adverse" and detest the very idea of being pitting against another player... be it in direct ship to ship combat or "market warfare."
Carebears can often be identified by the sounds they make... which is often described as a nasally whining.

ex.
Carebear: "I don't like it when other people can affect MY game!" *hmph*
Trolls: "GTFO carebear!"

The term "Carebear" can also be used as a verb to describe any moneymaking activity.

Guy1: "What are you doing?"
Guy2: "I'm carebearing right now. You got my ship killed yesterday."
Valei Khurelem
#10 - 2012-02-14 14:42:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Valei Khurelem
Aiwha wrote:
A carebear is a whiny (please note this, it is important) denizen of highsec that engages in either mining, or mission running. The carebear believes that this game is WoW in space, and expects it to be treated as such. Hallmark of the carebear are terrible fits, an immense ego, and many many long winded forum threads detailing how terrible this game is.

A carebear is not to be confused with an industrialist, someone who simply engages in highsec activity while following generally accepted standards and practices. An industrialist takes proper precaution and only suffers losses in circumstances that could be considered "bad luck".

http://www.punjabigraphics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/tenderheart-bear-3.gif

:D

http://www.hitupmyspot.com/carebear/0bcare9001.jpg

"don't get us wrong, we don't want to screw new players, on the contrary. The core problem here is that tech 1 frigates and cruisers should be appealing enough to be viable platforms in both PvE and PvP."   - CCP Ytterbium

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#11 - 2012-02-14 14:43:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Micheal Dietrich
A person with a strong aversion to pvp and ship loss. This is mainly applied to high sec dwellers, most notably miners and missionrunners, who usually come to the forums to freak out about a dec or 'grief' (their version of it) and how it is killing the game. They then proceed to call anyone who disagrees with them either a troll or griefer and there is simply no way to remove the blinders from them. This group usually enters the game not fully understanding what the game truly is.

The term is also sometimes used as an attack on pvp'ers as well, usually when one pvp'er feels the other pvp'ers tactics are pretty weak i.e. null corps usually call high sec pirates carebears, or solo'ers will call blob camps carebears, both due to their own amount of risk removal. The definition usually applies more for the top paragraph

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Shazzam Vokanavom
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-02-14 14:43:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Shazzam Vokanavom
Species of fish?

"Indian deepwater dragonet (Callionymus carebares) is a species of ray-finned fish in the genus Callionymus."

A type of healthcare attributable to the naturist movement?

Might be related to the homonym Carebear in EvE of course.
Alara IonStorm
#13 - 2012-02-14 14:45:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
To me a Carebear is someone who is ignorant.

They PvE all day and when a challenge appears they ***** and moan about it like it is the end of the world. Their are counters available to help them overcome this challenge but they won't hear of it at all. They get Can Flipped or Ninja'd they shoot the guy and loose their ship every goddamn time even though they could easily take the advantage if they bothered to learn how. They go into Low Sec and get killed, call it a griefers paradise instead of realizing they walked into sanctioned pirate space unprepared for the challenges. If they go back they have learned nothing from their experience or advice given and the same thing happens again. They know scams exist yet they don't read the contract when pouring huge amounts ISK into it. They blame the scammer and not themselves. Put 10 Bil in an untanked Hauler and die for it, they were in no way wrong and will do it again.

Basically anything where their is competition or threat is bad even if the feature is designed to be dangerous. Anyone who defeats them is some sort of Sociopath who they think cares much more about this then they do. Any time they fail they learn nothing. They are determined to try to argue a change in the game mechanics to avoid losses instead of tactics.

I want to put up a disclaimer here. These are not PvE'ers who just enjoy the PvE Mechanics. They adapt and learn. Yes PvE'ers complain and sometimes they do get a raw deal but it is different. They complain when the counters don't measure the risks or are just plain so unfun that they could use a redesign. PvE'ers tend to like EVE Online's open design more and partake in most things the game offers even if it does involve the risk which they try to manage. Some of these PVE'ers wear the term Carebear as a badge of pride but they are not Carebears as they encourage fighting back against Pirates in every form available including but not limited aggressive PvP.

Carebears are never a good IMO. They are self enforced ignorance.
Alara IonStorm
#14 - 2012-02-14 14:47:15 UTC

Awwwww.

It sucks that these cute gentle creatures have gotten such a bad name.

Because when No-Heart comes they **** him up.
Valei Khurelem
#15 - 2012-02-14 14:54:18 UTC
ALARA GETS A CAREBEAR HUG YEYYYYYY! :D

"don't get us wrong, we don't want to screw new players, on the contrary. The core problem here is that tech 1 frigates and cruisers should be appealing enough to be viable platforms in both PvE and PvP."   - CCP Ytterbium

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#16 - 2012-02-14 14:54:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Zimmy Zeta
Best way to stop being a carebear is to learn how to use your clones and that you have them for a reason.
I have met several people in this game already who boast about never ever having been killed although they play the game for years.
If you risk something, you WILL die, it is inevitable, that`s why we have clones.
So your first lesson would be to accept that fact and get yourself killed. I am serious with that- you will learn more from dying than from winning a fight. Just jump into a frigate, travel to lowsec and get someone to attack you. This might be more difficult than it sounds, lowsec denizens are often paranoid and may expect a trap when things look to easy.
After you finally got killed- and hopefully lost a huge amount of money with your implants (that part is important, because it is already lesson 2), just upgrade your clone, jump into another frig and get your backside kicked again in the very same system. Rinse and repeat.
After about 5-10 times dying you will slowly get an idea as to WHY you were dying and how to improve. You will also have discovered that your killer is not a psychopathic monster but just a regular guy playing eve, and maybe you will be talking to him and he will give you valuable tips. You will notice that you are no longer afraid of dying in a video game. You will notice that you are no longer afraid of leaving highsec.
Congratulations, you are no longer a carebear.

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Akrasjel Lanate
Immemorial Coalescence Administration
Immemorial Coalescence
#17 - 2012-02-14 14:54:49 UTC
Aiwha wrote:

The **** dude Shocked

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#18 - 2012-02-14 15:02:00 UTC
In most MMO's it generaly is used by the PvP community to label there PvE bretheren, it's there idea of an insult.

Converersley there is no 'reverse' version probably as in 'carebear' community the title PvPer is generally enough to label someone as a complete asshat who loves to flame and troll forums and wave his epeen around.

PvPers require the distinction as a lot of them undertake 'carebear' (read PvE) activities themselves 'Oh your a PvEer aren't you ? ' doesn't really comminicate the disrispect and derision that these people obviously crave.

Hope that helps Blink

[center]YOU MUST THINK FIRST....[/center] [center]"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion [/center] [center]The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar[/center]

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#19 - 2012-02-14 15:02:35 UTC
Zimmy Zeta wrote:

I have met several people in this game already who bloat about never ever having been killed although they play the game for years.

That sounds uncomfortable. You should contract them some gas-x

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#20 - 2012-02-14 15:04:37 UTC
Maxious wrote:
Sorry I don't interact much and it's been some time, I've kinda lost track of the formn lingo. Unless there is a list of terms somewhere. Just wondering what you guys think. What's is a carebare? How do you classify one? Do you think their good or bad? What's your thoughts on them in general? And how could one avoid being one?

Assuming you mean a "carebear", I take it to mean someone who believes that they're morally entitled to safety and consideration over and above that which is provided by the rules of the game merely because they want it. Generally, they have an imaginary superset of the rules which they imagine ought to apply if it weren't for CCP's negligence in properly applying them.

Examples abound, eg: people who believe other players shouldn't be allowed to enter their mission space, should be jailed for shooting them in hi-sec, that being killed after taking from a can despoite the warning is "an exploit", that killing another players ship in lo-sec is "griefing", etc., etc., ad nauseam

Usually these players have learned their habits in other MMOs, and stubbornly refuse to accept that the rules of other games do not necessarily apply in EVE, much as if rules of Baseball should all apply to Ice Hockey. They confuse their failure to understand this simple principle with a failure of the game.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

123Next page