These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Adding "Audio warning" capability linked to LOCAL modifications (warp-in trigger) ?

Author
Lebowski31
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-02-13 21:35:26 UTC
Dear Capsuleers,

Never been surprised in null-sec by 'reds' popping around, sending combat probes, warping to you while doing anos, travelling, mining ... ??

IdeaIdeaIdeaIdeaIdea

Personnally, I would appreciate if our good friends from CCP might add the following :
- some customizable audio warnings
- linked to overview presets
- to notify "local" modification
- such as : red IN local, wartaget IN local ...

Sure it's not the first post on that, but I'll love having this option ... Big smile

Cheers and FlySafe
Pirate
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#2 - 2012-02-13 22:03:19 UTC
You are going to get flamed all over for this, just a warning. Local is generally perceived as already giving too much information too easy, and you're suggesting making it give you even more info and make it harder to be surprised.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#3 - 2012-02-13 23:31:39 UTC
...Why? Just watch local yourself and be less lazy.
Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#4 - 2012-02-13 23:46:27 UTC
There used to be an app called BACON that did this very thing, I think the message on the website for that app says it all really.

This article on Massively gives you more of an idea.

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Lebowski31
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-02-14 04:42:47 UTC
Thanks guys for those info.

To make it clear, I only wonder to have a small 'bip', not a detailled vocal message ...
St Mio
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2012-02-14 05:28:31 UTC
I wish I had a USB air raid siren that could go off everytime a red jumped into system :D
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#7 - 2012-02-14 06:18:33 UTC
St Mio wrote:
I wish I had a USB air raid siren that could go off everytime a red jumped into system :D

Now go AFK in Jita for a bit P
Robert Caldera
Caldera Trading and Investment
#8 - 2012-02-14 10:04:05 UTC
local already gives too much away, instantly.
After the recent patch it has been boosted even more (small chat icons)!
Lebowski31
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-02-14 20:20:55 UTC
In 0.0, I'm not really convince that local is giving too much info ... Question ... and I would appreciate a 'BIP' while I'm sleepy doing anos ...

But for sure ... at Jita ... it should be totally stupid/noisy ... I fully agree.

Griptus
Doomheim
#10 - 2012-02-14 22:07:52 UTC
Early warning mechanisms should be implemented through anchorable devices, either as small ones near gates or big ones in POSs. Nobody should be visible in local unless they say something in local, and then for only 15 minutes whether they leave system or not.
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#11 - 2012-02-14 22:51:30 UTC  |  Edited by: FloppieTheBanjoClown
Audio warnings are bad. Partly because some of us play without audio, and partly because it would quickly get annoying. Imagine being chased by a group of 15-20 reds from one system to the next.

Red in local!
Red in local!
Red in local!
*jump*
Red in local!

Instead, give us the ability to sort the local list so that certain colors are at the top or bottom.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Lebowski31
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-02-15 05:24:51 UTC
Griptus wrote:
Early warning mechanisms should be implemented through anchorable devices, either as small ones near gates or big ones in POSs. Nobody should be visible in local unless they say something in local, and then for only 15 minutes whether they leave system or not.

oh !!!!! should be VERY sporty with those improvements ... I'll love that

This will improve strategy and reshape all fights !!!

Great !

But, are those improvements incompatible with my request of local-audio-warning ... no it is not incimpatible ...