These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ship spinning in your browser? PI next?

Author
Screenlag
Armaggedon Inc.
RAZOR Alliance
#1 - 2012-02-13 18:36:52 UTC
I was just looking what we could do with the API at the moment, and from what I could see we can't touch our PI at all from outside the game. Well, seeing what the browser could do with ship models, couldn't we get PI in the browser as well? PI does need a bit of tinkering, but this could be a start.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#2 - 2012-02-13 18:47:53 UTC
Screenlag wrote:
I was just looking what we could do with the API at the moment, and from what I could see we can't touch our PI at all from outside the game. Well, seeing what the browser could do with ship models, couldn't we get PI in the browser as well? PI does need a bit of tinkering, but this could be a start.

Bots.

That is all.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#3 - 2012-02-13 19:34:40 UTC
Ship spinning doesn't interact with the game itself, it's just rendering a model. PI does require interacting with the game. Huge difference.
Screenlag
Armaggedon Inc.
RAZOR Alliance
#4 - 2012-02-13 20:56:46 UTC
I doubt it's impossible. For example, you can read your evemail, even though that function perhaps is much more basic. Also, if the PI was to be implemented as it is ingame, I fail to see why it would be botted more than it is currently
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#5 - 2012-02-13 21:06:52 UTC
Screenlag wrote:
I doubt it's impossible. For example, you can read your evemail, even though that function perhaps is much more basic. Also, if the PI was to be implemented as it is ingame, I fail to see why it would be botted more than it is currently

Because you can't detect a bot via the browser? No dll hooks are required, no python injection or funny stuff that requires a little bit of work, just a simple macro could log onto multiple accounts/characters and do some PI. Cycling through however many accounts a day until it was done.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Screenlag
Armaggedon Inc.
RAZOR Alliance
#6 - 2012-02-15 20:30:51 UTC
Simi Kusoni wrote:
Screenlag wrote:

Because you can't detect a bot via the browser? No dll hooks are required, no python injection or funny stuff that requires a little bit of work, just a simple macro could log onto multiple accounts/characters and do some PI. Cycling through however many accounts a day until it was done.

I have no knowledge in this area, so I'll assume everything you say is true. However, it would be pretty neat. Perhaps CCP could have official smartphone apps where you could manage basic stuff like PI and market orders? I guess that could go in a new topic
Odarin
Silent Nomadic Society
#7 - 2012-02-15 23:44:50 UTC
Screenlag wrote:
Perhaps CCP could have official smartphone apps where you could manage basic stuff like PI and market orders? I guess that could go in a new topic

I think a lot of people would love an Android/iOS client, including myself.
It would certainly be nice to free up another screen at work by playing on an Android tablet.
Even if I could only play Market Monger :P

In-browser anything EVE (besides evemail/forums) is a little too risky I think.